4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Balancing tires with a $1,000+ machine at discount tire direct...

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2002, 01:02 PM

Balancing tires with a $1,000+ machine at discount tire direct...

I'm getting ready to buy some rims/tires at discount tire direct....well the sales guy said that they balance the tires on the wheels for free when u get rims/tires....and then he goes on and says that they got this $1,000+ machine that puts like x amount of pressure on the tire...and does all this fancy things to it. He says that most companies will charge like hundreds of dollars....and they only charge like $100 or so to do it(i don't remember exact price).

Has anyone done this who bought from discount tire direct? Is it worth spending that extra money on that special balancing machine?

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-28-2002, 03:08 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Balancing tires with a $1,000+ machine at discount tire direct...

Originally posted by itsgt
I'm getting ready to buy some rims/tires at discount tire direct....well the sales guy said that they balance the tires on the wheels for free when u get rims/tires....and then he goes on and says that they got this $1,000+ machine that puts like x amount of pressure on the tire...and does all this fancy things to it. He says that most companies will charge like hundreds of dollars....and they only charge like $100 or so to do it(i don't remember exact price).

Has anyone done this who bought from discount tire direct? Is it worth spending that extra money on that special balancing machine?

Thanks in advance.
Were you talking to a salesman? Can't get a very good piece of equipment for a grand these days. Tire Rack will mount and balance tires free for you if you get a tire and wheel package. I'd call them and see if they offer this special balancing deal. It sounds bogus to me!
Old 06-28-2002, 03:55 PM

i think he was talking about a machine that tests the roundness of your tire. in theory, you can balance a square object, but if you put this on your car, it will still ride like crap eventhough it is balnaced. at the dealership i work at i've only heard of this machine for testing tires, not making them ride better. i'd get him to explain a little more in detail before i bought into this.