4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

headlight harness isnt working good .......

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2002, 11:33 PM

headlight harness isnt working good .......

ok well i installed the headlgiht harness i got and i have had no problems......until last ngiht....i go to put my brights on and there is nothing.....so i switch abck to my reg lights and they work fine.....then ocne i change back to my brights they seemed to be working normally........well tongiht i was driving home and i flipped my brights and i see nothing......my lgihts turn off...im leik what the hell......then i come home and take a look at the harness and i take the black relays off the ahrness and i see some corrosion stuff there and it KINDA is starting to smell liek burnt plastic and the relay was kinda hot.......there was no damage done to the relay but i donno what could be causing this???
thanx for ur help guys. Tom
Old 06-29-2002, 08:36 AM

Check your grounds. It sounds like it's running hot.
Old 06-29-2002, 08:56 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ravq
Check your grounds. It sounds like it's running hot. [/QUOTE

i have it grounded on the screw that goes into the fender.....maybe when i drove in the rain some parts got wet???
Old 06-29-2002, 08:59 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by hockeyghst
Originally posted by Ravq
Check your grounds. It sounds like it's running hot. [/QUOTE

i have it grounded on the screw that goes into the fender.....maybe when i drove in the rain some parts got wet???
Maybe it's just corroded. Clean it off with a wire brush and some baking soda if it is. You can also use some of that anti-corrosion paste that you use on the battery terminals to help slow down the corrosion process from happening again.
Old 06-29-2002, 10:00 AM

Maybe it's just corroded. Clean it off with a wire brush and some baking soda if it is. You can also use some of that anti-corrosion paste that you use on the battery terminals to help slow down the corrosion process from happening again.
nothign is corroded........the only thing i saw was some green crap inside the relay.....thats all.....and i dont tknow y my high beams arnt working.......this harness is ****ing me off........it worked for liek 1 day then it took a **** on me.....

thanx for the help Ravq
Old 06-29-2002, 10:17 AM

im in a 5th gen, i recently melted my harness on the drivers side and replaced it with a factory harness and now dims are very dim and brights are realy bright
Old 06-29-2002, 07:20 PM

Re: headlight harness isnt working good .......

If you're looking for a harness I have an APC one I can sell you. I used it 2 weeks and changed my mind about increasing the stock 45/65 wattage.

Originally posted by hockeyghst
ok well i installed the headlgiht harness i got and i have had no problems......until last ngiht....i go to put my brights on and there is nothing.....so i switch abck to my reg lights and they work fine.....then ocne i change back to my brights they seemed to be working normally........well tongiht i was driving home and i flipped my brights and i see nothing......my lgihts turn off...im leik what the hell......then i come home and take a look at the harness and i take the black relays off the ahrness and i see some corrosion stuff there and it KINDA is starting to smell liek burnt plastic and the relay was kinda hot.......there was no damage done to the relay but i donno what could be causing this???
thanx for ur help guys. Tom
Old 06-29-2002, 08:45 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Which harness is better? I ordered a Hyper Industries wire harness kit but got an APC instead. Should I send it back or just keep it?
Old 06-30-2002, 01:51 AM

Keep it. I think the APC wire guage is better to handle higher wattages. Also, the yellow wire insulation is better.

Originally posted by athlon omega
Which harness is better? I ordered a Hyper Industries wire harness kit but got an APC instead. Should I send it back or just keep it?
Old 06-30-2002, 06:19 AM

anymore suggestions for my problem???
Old 06-30-2002, 08:31 AM

anymore suggestions for my problem???
Time to break out the voltmeter or multimeter to check the voltage. Check each wire and make sure you check on low beam and high beam. If you see some inconsistency between driver's side and passenger's side or you see a lack of voltage then it might be time for a new harness.
Old 06-30-2002, 10:53 AM

Time to break out the voltmeter or multimeter to check the voltage. Check each wire and make sure you check on low beam and high beam. If you see some inconsistency between driver's side and passenger's side or you see a lack of voltage then it might be time for a new harness.
i dont have either of those things to do what u r telling me to do......maybe both my highbeams took a **** on me at the same time???

i still need to know y my harness has some corrosion where the relays meet.....and the relays feel a lil too warm after i drive with ym ehadlgihts on for like 15 min or so is that good????
Old 06-30-2002, 07:02 PM

i dont have either of those things to do what u r telling me to do......maybe both my highbeams took a **** on me at the same time???

i still need to know y my harness has some corrosion where the relays meet.....and the relays feel a lil too warm after i drive with ym ehadlgihts on for like 15 min or so is that good????
Have you checked the filaments in the bulbs? Maybe they did both go at the same time. As for the relays running warm - I'm not sure if that's normal. The corrosion could just be normal wear and tear. Is it located where it might get wet?
Old 07-01-2002, 10:56 AM

Have you checked the filaments in the bulbs? Maybe they did both go at the same time. As for the relays running warm - I'm not sure if that's normal. The corrosion could just be normal wear and tear. Is it located where it might get wet?
yes it is located where it can get wet....i mean i donno where else to put it.........i shoved teh relays behind the headlight on the passengerside of the car

im stumped......
Old 07-01-2002, 11:45 AM

yes it is located where it can get wet....i mean i donno where else to put it.........i shoved teh relays behind the headlight on the passengerside of the car

im stumped......
Not sure what else you can do except for test it with a multimeter or voltmeter. Can you borrow one? They are relatively inexpensive anyways, maybe you can pick one up. Other than that protect all your wires and relays with some electrical tape and flex loom.
Old 07-01-2002, 01:26 PM

Not sure what else you can do except for test it with a multimeter or voltmeter. Can you borrow one? They are relatively inexpensive anyways, maybe you can pick one up. Other than that protect all your wires and relays with some electrical tape and flex loom.
thanx will do
Old 07-01-2002, 07:43 PM

thanx will do
I just installed a harness about 2 weeks ago and i dont have high beams i thing its normal
Old 07-01-2002, 08:00 PM

Originally posted by greenmax
I just installed a harness about 2 weeks ago and i dont have high beams i thing its normal
It is not normal. I too have a harness and it functions properly. A good harness upgrades your existing OEM harness allowing you full function of your headlights. You shouldn't lose anything.
Old 07-01-2002, 09:15 PM

yeah i thtink me and u are having the same problem......i HAD high beams for like the first week........so i know your supposed to have highbeams
Old 07-02-2002, 01:16 AM

sounds like relay or bulb problems. good harnesses allows you to use both low and high beams.

yeah i thtink me and u are having the same problem......i HAD high beams for like the first week........so i know your supposed to have highbeams
Old 07-02-2002, 04:11 PM

Originally posted by max808
sounds like relay or bulb problems. good harnesses allows you to use both low and high beams.

It might be the relay because i had the bulbs on my car before the harness and everything worked fine.How would i check the relay to see if that is the problem?
Old 07-02-2002, 04:28 PM

It might be the relay because i had the bulbs on my car before the harness and everything worked fine.How would i check the relay to see if that is the problem?
The harness i got was from ebay this one http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=1840248588
Old 07-02-2002, 04:38 PM

is there a place to jsut buy a relay instead of an entire new wire harnes???? if it is the relay im not gonna buy anew harness for 1 relay.....
Old 07-02-2002, 05:01 PM

that wiring harness from that guy in taiwan isn't as good as the one put out by APC. you get what you pay for.

The harness i got was from ebay this one http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=1840248588
Old 07-02-2002, 06:51 PM

is there a place to jsut buy a relay instead of an entire new wire harnes???? if it is the relay im not gonna buy anew harness for 1 relay.....
It's probably just a regular 30amp relay. You can pick those up at most auto parts stores and/or audio stores.
Old 07-02-2002, 07:49 PM
Moderator running more PSI than all the boosted Maximas... combined

It's the relays. The relays on the APC sucks. They usually don't last more than 2 years.
Old 07-16-2002, 06:49 PM

Originally posted by max808
that wiring harness from that guy in taiwan isn't as good as the one put out by APC. you get what you pay for.

the guy from ebay just send me out another harness today.I installed it and it still dont work i have high beams what should i do??I checked my fuses under the hood is there some where else i should check?
Old 07-16-2002, 07:39 PM

the guy from ebay just send me out another harness today.I installed it and it still dont work i have high beams what should i do??I checked my fuses under the hood is there some where else i should check?
Have you checked your high beams without the harness? Maybe it's not the harness.
Old 07-16-2002, 07:51 PM

Have you checked your high beams without the harness? Maybe it's not the harness.
I checked it with the factory and it works fine but with the harness it doesnt.The fuses are under the hood next to the battery unless there is more fuses i got to check somewhere else?
Old 07-16-2002, 07:53 PM

I checked it with the factory and it works fine but with the harness it doesnt.The fuses are under the hood next to the battery unless there is more fuses i got to check somewhere else?
Then it sounds like it's not a fuse but the harness.
Old 07-16-2002, 07:58 PM

Then it sounds like it's not a fuse but the harness.
Thanks for your help RAVQ
Old 07-16-2002, 08:00 PM

No problem.
Old 07-16-2002, 09:17 PM

check the relay on the harness........also make sure u have it snapped in good......one of my relays for the highbeams went bad so maybe the smae happened to you
Old 07-17-2002, 06:37 PM

check the relay on the harness........also make sure u have it snapped in good......one of my relays for the highbeams went bad so maybe the smae happened to you
Yes its the relays i went to auto zone and got the relays the only had 30 amp i needed 40amp i try them and my high beams work fine but they poped so i took them back.Now just got to go and see who has the right ones.My question would be how is it that the relays that came with it the relays work with low beams and not the high beam relay?
Old 07-17-2002, 09:48 PM

Yes its the relays i went to auto zone and got the relays the only had 30 amp i needed 40amp i try them and my high beams work fine but they poped so i took them back.Now just got to go and see who has the right ones.My question would be how is it that the relays that came with the relays work with low beams and blew the high beam relay?
thats the same thing that im wondering cuz thats what happened to me....my highbeams stopped workign after a few days....and i figured out the relay.........although the other day i was messing wiht ym harness and i was ****ed so i kept playing wiht the switch i kept flipping it form low to high beams.......and somehow my higbeams worked.......so at ngiht if i want my highbeams to go on i jsut have to flip teh swtich like 5 times b4 the brights will coem on......its a bad relay obviously ill jsut have to buy a new one......funny how that is happening though.......