4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

2 of 2 spring questions: SE 5-speed springs on GLE auto- Will it lower me at all?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2002, 09:08 PM
Mod her. Ate her.

2 of 2 spring questions: SE 5-speed springs on GLE auto- Will it lower me at all?

I like my stock GLE ride on straight roads, but not on curves. I want better handling, and would like a mild drop as well. I can get decent prices on SE sproings. I know tha tht erears will help, but that the front Auto will be the same. I thought about using SE 5-speed springs, b/c they are calibrated for lighter front ends. My front end rides higher than the rear, completely empty.

The question is can I run SE 5-speed fronts on my GLE auto to acheive better handling and a mild drop? Secondly, will I need the stock SE struts, too?
Old 06-30-2002, 09:26 PM

Better handling? Maybe slightly, you probably won't notice any whole new differences getting an SE suspension. I'm pretty sure you'll get no drop at all from just switching either. If you want a better suspension and a slight drop, you probably have to go aftermarket, not SE.
Old 06-30-2002, 11:49 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Think about getting some H&R's. People say they are the closest spring to stock ride, and it has a mild drop too (1.3 inches i think).
Old 07-01-2002, 04:47 AM
GoldenGlory

Originally posted by spiff56747
Think about getting some H&R's. People say they are the closest spring to stock ride, and it has a mild drop too (1.3 inches i think).
1.4 in the front and 1.3 in the rear..i just put them on a week ago.. so far so good..i wanna see how low i sit ....

people have told it falls nice ... then again to low..and ill crack another wheel bearing... no need for that nissan doesnt like me abusing my warranty...lolz...

so they runn smooth for far..wwith my kybs..setting 3 in the front and 6 in the rear ....

i think with a nice set of 18" rims..it would look beautiful !!

Old 07-01-2002, 03:32 PM
Mod her. Ate her.

Well, as I said in my other thread (the other suspension question I asked), money is limited right now, so I cannot afford H&Rs AND struts. I want some better rims (than my GLE stockers), but the wheelgap SUCKS. All I really want right now is to drop the front by a little bit, and to go to an SE-like ride. I know that SE and GLE fronts are the same on an auto, but I was HOPING that I could get at least a little driop out of SE 5-speed fronts, just until my bank recovers. Does anyone know about this?

I can get H&Rs for a good price, but no money left for better struts, and my other thread gave me the notion that I would kill my stock struts QUICKLY if I run them with even the mild drop of H&Rs...
Old 07-01-2002, 04:07 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

What you should do is get whichever (struts or springs) you can afford now and then after your bank account recovers buy the other. If you are planning to do both just wait until you have everything you need and do the job once. It will be cheaper/easier this way and is more satisfying because of the huge improvement.

If you need struts get them first. They won't drop the car at all but they will make it handle better not only in the curves but also going straight. AGX's are recommended most and I have to agree. They are great.

I have H&R's and after having them for about four months they have settled to about 1 1/2" in front and slightly less in rear. The distance from the top of the tire to the fender is about 2". With the AGX's the handling is so much improved (ride is firm, not harsh) its hard to believe its the same car.
Old 07-01-2002, 09:24 PM
GoldenGlory

Originally posted by phenryiv1
Well, as I said in my other thread (the other suspension question I asked), money is limited right now, so I cannot afford H&Rs AND struts. I want some better rims (than my GLE stockers), but the wheelgap SUCKS. All I really want right now is to drop the front by a little bit, and to go to an SE-like ride. I know that SE and GLE fronts are the same on an auto, but I was HOPING that I could get at least a little driop out of SE 5-speed fronts, just until my bank recovers. Does anyone know about this?

I can get H&Rs for a good price, but no money left for better struts, and my other thread gave me the notion that I would kill my stock struts QUICKLY if I run them with even the mild drop of H&Rs...
i can do both springs n struts for about $560

Old 07-01-2002, 09:56 PM

what you shouldnt do is buy the same thing twice its a waste of money and time, save up to get the aftermarket struts and springs if thats what u want. u dont need to spend the money on a set of springs then buy a whole other set a few months down the road, have patience. its well worth it
-Pete btw i run eibachs on kyb agxs and i love em except im sick of the inconsistancy in the progressive spring (yes i know its supposed to be like that) so i might go with linear springs. thats after the datsun is done though. good luck
-Pete
Old 07-02-2002, 02:40 PM

Originally posted by MaxSE98
what you shouldnt do is buy the same thing twice its a waste of money and time, save up to get the aftermarket struts and springs if thats what u want. u dont need to spend the money on a set of springs then buy a whole other set a few months down the road, have patience. its well worth it
-Pete btw i run eibachs on kyb agxs and i love em except im sick of the inconsistancy in the progressive spring (yes i know its supposed to be like that) so i might go with linear springs. thats after the datsun is done though. good luck
-Pete
OT-which Datsun?
Old 07-05-2002, 12:53 PM

Originally posted by exhip95

OT-which Datsun?
72 datsun 240z , im doing research right now on upgrading to a 2001 camaro front suspension its much stronger than the Z front suspension and a 350 will bolt right to it. camber is easily adjustable its a double wishbone setup and it comes with MASSIVE brakes and 5 bolt hubs. i dont think its been done before so it should be interesting to see.
Old 07-05-2002, 03:43 PM

72 datsun 240z , im doing research right now on upgrading to a 2001 camaro front suspension its much stronger than the Z front suspension and a 350 will bolt right to it. camber is easily adjustable its a double wishbone setup and it comes with MASSIVE brakes and 5 bolt hubs. i dont think its been done before so it should be interesting to see.

Sounds like trouble...for other cars on the road.

Good Luck...
Old 07-06-2002, 01:34 AM

Sounds like trouble...for other cars on the road.

Good Luck...
is that good or bad
Old 07-12-2002, 05:51 PM

is that good or bad
So good Its bad.
Old 07-12-2002, 10:13 PM

So good Its bad.
KOOOL