4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

I just talked to Eibach technical support

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2002, 09:17 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I just talked to Eibach technical support

I had initially called to ask about their Eibach Pro kit vs the springs that they make to go along with the Ground Control coilovers. They said that they make an entirely different spring for the GC coilovers.

Then the guy on the phone said that the Eibach Sportline springs would be better than the Pro kit if I want better launches and a stiffer ride. He said that the Pro kit is more for everyday drivers who want stiffer than stock suspension, but still comfortable enough.

About the GC coilovers he said that it is good in the sense that you can adjust each corner individually to suit your needs (eg if you were on an oval track) but in everyday drivability it can get annoying because it isn't as perfect a fit as the regular springs are.

So I wanted to ask you guys about your experience with the Pro kit vs Sportline kit vs GC coilovers. If performance is my main concern, which would be my best bet? I hate the wheelspin that I get launching off the line (not complaining about it because I'm glad Maximas have that much power) but I'd like to be able to get firmer launches. Then, that taken care of, is the stiffer Sportline kit ride a bad thing compared to the Pro kit?

Thanks for your input.
Old 07-01-2002, 12:59 PM

They don't even make Sportline springs for the Maxima, so that pretty much solves your problem right there.
Old 07-01-2002, 01:43 PM

Originally posted by guido_sst
They don't even make Sportline springs for the Maxima, so that pretty much solves your problem right there.
Oh I didn't even realize that. I thought I saw a Sportline application for our cars on some site a while back... I think I mistook it for something else.

In any case, then what would be a better choice between the Pro kit or the GC coilovers, if what I am after is performance. Is the performance of the coilovers any better than the Pro kit to make it worthwhile to deal with the problems that the coilovers can bring?
Old 07-01-2002, 01:47 PM
jasonz

gc's

if you dont need to adjust your height i would get the spring set
save a few beens for better mods

ps, dont forget the camber factor

Old 07-01-2002, 02:05 PM

Re: gc's

Originally posted by jasonz
if you dont need to adjust your height i would get the spring set
save a few beens for better mods

ps, dont forget the camber factor
I don't mind spending a little extra, if I do get better performance out of the GC coilovers as opposed to the Eibach Pro kit.

As for caster/camber, do I have to worry about that with coilovers or is it all automatically adjustable (I am not familiar with coilovers and how they work)? Do I have to buy a caster/camber correction kit in addition to the GC coilover kit??
Old 07-01-2002, 02:30 PM
SLOW

Yes, you do have to worry about camber issues with GC coilovers. Camber plates $$$$ or simple camber bolts can solve your camber problems.
Old 07-02-2002, 09:17 AM

GC uses the Eibach Race Springs on their setup - linear rated and much shorter than the Pro Kit setup. You want softer rear suspension to lessen wheelhop on the line. Using the race springs wouldn't be the best option.
Old 07-02-2002, 09:38 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by got rice?
GC uses the Eibach Race Springs on their setup - linear rated and much shorter than the Pro Kit setup. You want softer rear suspension to lessen wheelhop on the line. Using the race springs wouldn't be the best option.
im not disagreeing with you, cuz u def know more about this stuff then me, but u can get softer spring rates from ground control if u buy them directly, in incriments if 50 lbs/inch i think. even if u went down to 250 lb/inch for the rear, it wouldnt be comfy enuff? im not telling, im askin.
Old 07-02-2002, 11:16 AM
SLOW

Originally posted by NotNew!!NewSN!!

im not disagreeing with you, cuz u def know more about this stuff then me, but u can get softer spring rates from ground control if u buy them directly, in incriments if 50 lbs/inch i think. even if u went down to 250 lb/inch for the rear, it wouldnt be comfy enuff? im not telling, im askin.
According to GC, the reason they used such stiff rates as they did is because with anything less the car bottoms out too easily. Since they use such short springs, high stiffness is needed to keep the car from being on the bumpstops at every dip in the road.
Old 07-03-2002, 09:12 AM

So are you guys saying that I should buy a custom set of GC coilovers and not just a generic GC coilover kit for my Maxima?

As for coilovers themselves, the guy on the phone from Eibach mentioned something about rattling issues from the coilovers since they are not exact fit like springs are. Have any of you guys with coilovers experienced such issues?
Old 07-03-2002, 10:40 AM

Originally posted by NotNew!!NewSN!!

yes, you can specify *whatever* spring rate you want when ordering them initially (or buying different spring rates at a later date) but since the spring itself is MUCH shorter than the Eibach or stock springs, you do not have as much suspension travel, thus, a stiffer spring is almost a must (or you'll be on the bumpstops constantly).

If people want a soft silky smooth ride, they're barking up the wrong tree here.
Old 07-03-2002, 04:44 PM

Originally posted by got rice?

yes, you can specify *whatever* spring rate you want when ordering them initially (or buying different spring rates at a later date) but since the spring itself is MUCH shorter than the Eibach or stock springs, you do not have as much suspension travel, thus, a stiffer spring is almost a must (or you'll be on the bumpstops constantly).

If people want a soft silky smooth ride, they're barking up the wrong tree here.
I was looking to buy the GC coilover kit from one of the members on the org. Would I be better off spending the extra money to get it retail from GC so that I can specify all the spring rates?

I know that GC has different part numbers for their coilover kits, depending on the strut that you choose to use - KYB, Tokico, Koni. Would specifying my strut type be sufficient to picking a GC coilover kit?
Old 07-05-2002, 09:30 AM

ask what spring rate setup the used kit is. if it's the default setup you should be fine. most people don't need to mess around with different spring rates
Old 07-05-2002, 09:35 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

You're sorely mistaken if you think spring/coilovers will reduce a lot of the wheel spin. If you want better launches, get better tires.

Dave
Old 07-05-2002, 09:38 AM

I've had a few customers hook up better after replacing their stock setup (reduction of 60' by .1-.2 sec)
Old 07-05-2002, 11:19 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: I just talked to Eibach technical support

Originally posted by speedemn
I had initially called to ask about their Eibach Pro kit vs the springs that they make to go along with the Ground Control coilovers. They said that they make an entirely different spring for the GC coilovers.

Then the guy on the phone said that the Eibach Sportline springs would be better than the Pro kit if I want better launches and a stiffer ride. He said that the Pro kit is more for everyday drivers who want stiffer than stock suspension, but still comfortable enough.

About the GC coilovers he said that it is good in the sense that you can adjust each corner individually to suit your needs (eg if you were on an oval track) but in everyday drivability it can get annoying because it isn't as perfect a fit as the regular springs are.

So I wanted to ask you guys about your experience with the Pro kit vs Sportline kit vs GC coilovers. If performance is my main concern, which would be my best bet? I hate the wheelspin that I get launching off the line (not complaining about it because I'm glad Maximas have that much power) but I'd like to be able to get firmer launches. Then, that taken care of, is the stiffer Sportline kit ride a bad thing compared to the Pro kit?

Thanks for your input.

I just installed Eibach Pro Kit springs along with Koni sport shocks all around and I have been very pleased with their performance. They are much quicker than the stock SE struts and springs and I am able to take turns real fast without any drama, lest a little tire squeal in extreme conditions. I really like the 1.5"/1.3" lowering, too.

-Jon