4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Should I do a tranny flush on my 5 speed?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2002, 04:14 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Should I do a tranny flush on my 5 speed?

Factors:

1. It's about time to change my transmission fluid.
2. I just purchased this Max, and taught myself how to drive the manual tranny. As a result of my "learning," I'm guessing there are some metal shavings in the fluid.
3. I'm thinking that a full flush would remove these shavings, prolonging my transmission life.

My mechanic just told me that doing a normal drain on the manual tranny should remove everything, and that a flush isn't recommended here. Any thoughts?

1999 Max SE, 85k, 5 speed, Pacesetter STS (will be switching to Redline MT-90 as a result of STS)
Old 07-01-2002, 04:29 PM

i've never heard of a manual tranny flush. i guess you could try asking your local dealer... or go by a parts store and see if they sell an additive tranny cleaner. if not, you could drain your gear oil and put in some regular fluid... go for a drive and drain again... then put your synthetic in.
Old 07-01-2002, 04:34 PM

Re: Should I do a tranny flush on my 5 speed?

Originally posted by triax37
Factors:

1. It's about time to change my transmission fluid.
2. I just purchased this Max, and taught myself how to drive the manual tranny. As a result of my "learning," I'm guessing there are some metal shavings in the fluid.
3. I'm thinking that a full flush would remove these shavings, prolonging my transmission life.

My mechanic just told me that doing a normal drain on the manual tranny should remove everything, and that a flush isn't recommended here. Any thoughts?

1999 Max SE, 85k, 5 speed, Pacesetter STS (will be switching to Redline MT-90 as a result of STS)
Just drain and fill and you'll be good to go. Unlike in an auto, you will get 99% of the old fluid out it you do it right.
Old 07-01-2002, 10:29 PM

There is no need to flush a manual transmission since there is no torque converter, etc., that sequesters oil like on an automatic. It's basically a drain and refill just like for motor oil, and all metal chips, etc. will come out. There is a small nondescript bolt at the bottom of the transmission that you remove and allow the old fluid to drain, and a large bolt on the front from which you fill with the new oil. The capacity for the max is about 4.5 quarts. I use Redline synthetic which does seem to work better (MT-90 is recommended but MTL is also within spec.) Just make sure you use a GL4 spec oil ONLY. Do not use the commonly available GL5 oil, which has phosphate additives made for high pressure differentials and will eventually corrode your transmission. Check out this link which has a description that might help you get the job done

http://web2.iadfw.net/scutchen/max_f...ce.htm#redline

and make sure you recycle your oil - this stuff can contaminate groundwater like you can't believe if yo dump it.
Old 07-02-2002, 12:38 AM

Great - thanks for the input everyone. Two more questions:

1. I know Redline MT-90 good for all types of weather? I live in Denver, where it is currently 98F but gets down to 20F.

2. I've read that using a synthetic (like Redline or Amsoil) would extend my fluid change interval (someone said infinitely). When would I need to replace the Redline, in your opinion? 30k? 60k? Never?

Thanks again!
Old 07-02-2002, 12:42 AM

1. I know Redline MT-90 good for all types of weather? I live in Denver, where it is currently 98F but gets down to 20F.

2. I've read that using a synthetic (like Redline or Amsoil) would extend my fluid change interval (someone said infinitely). When would I need to replace the Redline, in your opinion? 30k? 60k? Never?

Thanks again!

Once you put Redline in...you should never have to change it again.

Any little metal shavings will be attracted to a magnet at the bottom of the trans.

When my second gear was blow 2 weeks ago, I popped the trans open...and all the little pieces of the gear were "stuck" to the magnet.....almost no shavings at all came out when I drained the fluid.
Old 07-02-2002, 07:28 AM

Thanks again!
1. The MT-90 (Amsoil too) is good for all types of weather, that's the great thing about synthetics. You'll find you'll be able to shift much easier when it's cold as well.

2. The synthetics, under normal conditions should last indefinitely. If you are very hard on the car, and most people here probably are, it would be a good idea to change it every 60K or so.
Old 07-02-2002, 07:34 AM

Let me know when you want to do it. I can help you if you want me to. I just replaced my clutch a couple of months ago and now I have the dreaded bearing whine from the tranny So depening on when you want to do it, you could help me as well , or just watch and drink some beer! I'm in Denver as well. Actually, we could just have a mod day at my place and we could do it there. Let me know.

Justin
Old 07-02-2002, 12:57 PM
Lifetime Maxer

What about Mobil 1 Synthetic Gear Oil??

Originally posted by BriGuyMax

Once you put Redline in...you should never have to change it again.

Any little metal shavings will be attracted to a magnet at the bottom of the trans.

When my second gear was blow 2 weeks ago, I popped the trans open...and all the little pieces of the gear were "stuck" to the magnet.....almost no shavings at all came out when I drained the fluid.
I was just at the local auto parts store and picked up a few quarts of Mobil 1 fully synthetic gear oil - it was the only one they had that was synthetic. Any experience with this stuff?? This should last at least 60K too, right?

-Chad
Old 07-02-2002, 01:04 PM

Re: What about Mobil 1 Synthetic Gear Oil??

Originally posted by maximachad

I was just at the local auto parts store and picked up a few quarts of Mobil 1 fully synthetic gear oil - it was the only one they had that was synthetic. Any experience with this stuff?? This should last at least 60K too, right?

-Chad
Great stuff. That's all that I use is Mobil 1 motor oil and gear oil. I would highly suggest it!
Old 07-02-2002, 01:34 PM
I'm so hood

Chad - make sure it's GL-4 and not GL-5. With you saying "It was the only synthetic gear oil they had," well, GL-5 is apparently a lot more common on the shelves than GL-4. And as many have mentioned before & in this thread, GL-5 == world of hurt for our tranny.

Otherwise, should be good to go.
Old 07-02-2002, 01:35 PM

Re: What about Mobil 1 Synthetic Gear Oil??

Originally posted by maximachad

-Chad
Chad and JdawgX:

It's not a good idea to use that in the tranny. I got the info below off of Mobil 1's site under the data sheet for the gear oil:

Application

Mobil 1 Synthetic Gear Lubricant is suitable for all automotive applications where lubricants meeting API Service GL-5, are recommended. It can also be used in rear axles where an API Service GL-4 lubricant is recommended. It should not be used in any transmissions requiring an engine oil or automatic transmission fluid, or GL-4 performance level.
Old 07-02-2002, 01:40 PM

Re: Re: What about Mobil 1 Synthetic Gear Oil??

Originally posted by iwannabmw

Chad and JdawgX:

It's not a good idea to use that in the tranny. I got the info below off of Mobil 1's site under the data sheet for the gear oil:

Application

Mobil 1 Synthetic Gear Lubricant is suitable for all automotive applications where lubricants meeting API Service GL-5, are recommended. It can also be used in rear axles where an API Service GL-4 lubricant is recommended. It should not be used in any transmissions requiring an engine oil or automatic transmission fluid, or GL-4 performance level.
Hmmm...... that's odd. I've always been told that GL-5 will cover GL-4 applications.....
Old 07-02-2002, 01:56 PM

Re: Re: Re: What about Mobil 1 Synthetic Gear Oil??

Originally posted by JdawgX

Hmmm...... that's odd. I've always been told that GL-5 will cover GL-4 applications.....
It's not retroactive like motor oils for gas engines. GL5 lubricants are much more corrosive than GL4 lubricants. The extreme pressure additives in a GL5 lubricant can eat away the softer metals that can be found in a tranny that is designed for GL4. There are some synthetic lubricants out there that can meet GL4 and GL5 specs without these additives (like Amsoil and Redline), but these lubricants should also carry an MT 1 rating, verifying they are safe for use in transmissions.

I'm not that familar enough with Mobil 1's gear lubes to know if they offer different gear lubes for different apps. The info I posted I obtained by going to Mobil1.com, brought up the "Mobil 1 Products" sub menu and clicked on gear lubricant. From that page there is link that says "Product Data Sheet". Just from looking at that, I'd say that Mobil 1's Gear Lube is not really supposed to be used in a Maxima's transmission.
Old 07-02-2002, 02:34 PM

Re: Re: Re: What about Mobil 1 Synthetic Gear Oil??

Originally posted by JdawgX

If you go to http://www.motorvate.ca/auto/general/GL.htm there is an interesting write up on this stuff.

I've actually spoke to 2 really smart Nissan Cert. Mechanics, and they both said GL-5 is a common mistake made by newer/younger Nissan Techs. GL-4 ONLY for our 4th G 5 speeds. This has been covered very thoroughly - search or go to motorvate for better explanations.
Old 07-02-2002, 02:53 PM

go to http://www.myoilshop.com and order yourself 5 quarts of Redline MT-90 and use dealer code 675421