4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Can I swap the 2002 Motor into a 4th Gen??

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2002, 07:41 AM

Can I swap the 2002 Motor into a 4th Gen??

I have a 96 GLE with NOS, and I am looking for more power. I can get my hands on a 2002 Maxima motor. Will it fit in my car and what all is necessary to make it work? I would have to pay someone to do it for me; any idea on how much I would need to spend in addition to the motor? I have an automatic, but I dont know if that makes any difference. Let me know, all of your thoughts are appreciated! Thanks, Beau
Old 07-02-2002, 07:42 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Sure it'll fit.

All you need to put it in is a big shoehorn ... and some beer.

Duct tape might help too.
Old 07-02-2002, 08:36 AM

I agree, it will fit, but you might have to take out the seats though...
actually if it were possible, I'd be up for it......
Old 07-02-2002, 08:43 AM

Ok how much beer should I drink first? And do ya think I could find that shoe horn at Foot Locker. Hey I bet the correct amount of duck tape would also seal up your mouth for a couple of hours so some people w/ automotive knoweledge could give some helpful tips.
ps Try to MAXIMZE your skill and try some stand up comedy, but be careful of flying rotten fruit.
Thanks
Thanks
Beau
Old 07-02-2002, 09:01 AM

Originally posted by BeauBlanco
Ok how much beer should I drink first? And do ya think I could find that shoe horn at Foot Locker. Hey I bet the correct amount of duck tape would also seal up your mouth for a couple of hours so some people w/ automotive knoweledge could give some helpful tips.
ps Try to MAXIMZE your skill and try some stand up comedy, but be careful of flying rotten fruit.
Thanks
Thanks
Beau
automotive knowledge? I have enough "automotive knowledge" from searching reading previous posts to know that this isn't the first time this question has been asked.

I have enough "automotive knowledge" that "helpful tips" can be found by using the handy search function up top. In fact, I found a great thread within the first two pages of the seach results. It is a three page dialogue between possibly two of the most respected members of this site. Perhaps if you had done a little research before you posted this question, you wouldn't have gotten such flippant answers from us comedians.
Old 07-02-2002, 09:02 AM

I see my picture isn't helping too much Clee.

BeauBlanco: Look at the picture in clee130's sig
Old 07-02-2002, 09:23 AM

this thread is rediculous. no you cannnot swap a 2k2 engine with a 4th gen, its a drive by wire throttle and a whole bunch of other sh*t, this has been brought up before along with the ever so often "can i put a 2k2 6speed in my 4th gen" and even if you could do the swap it would be cheaper for a turbo or supercharger, and u would get more power so its kind of pointless anyways
Old 07-02-2002, 10:32 AM

Originally posted by clee130
Sorry, I'm new to this site....
Being a wise guy at heart I couldn't resist the urge to snap back.
Beau

automotive knowledge? I have enough "automotive knowledge" from searching reading previous posts to know that this isn't the first time this question has been asked.

I have enough "automotive knowledge" that "helpful tips" can be found by using the handy search function up top. In fact, I found a great thread within the first two pages of the seach results. It is a three page dialogue between possibly two of the most respected members of this site. Perhaps if you had done a little research before you posted this question, you wouldn't have gotten such flippant answers from us comedians.
Old 07-02-2002, 10:39 AM

its possible but you would have to change everything, the tranny, ecu driveshafts, I think the engine is taller so you need a new hood with a scoop or something, new engine mounts, all new wiring and a bunch of know how, if you dont know jack about car dont do it, it will be too much money just to pay someone to do this for you
Old 07-02-2002, 11:52 AM

Girls Girls Girls!!!

First get the Factory Service Manuals for both cars.

A 4g trans will bolt up no problem.

Take the 2k2 intake system off and put the 4g intake system on, including lower intake manifold and injectors.

Use 4g exhaust manifolds.

You are basically using only the heads and block from the 2k2. You are keeping the 4g engine managment.

It will work.

You may have to spend some time on a few things, but if you can afford some down time to work it out, it shouldnt be much more expensive than just the 2k2 motor.
Old 07-02-2002, 01:02 PM

Originally posted by MardiGrasMax
Girls Girls Girls!!!

Take the 2k2 intake system off and put the 4g intake system on, including lower intake manifold and injectors.

You are basically using only the heads and block from the 2k2. You are keeping the 4g engine managment.

It will work.

You may have to spend some time on a few things, but if you can afford some down time to work it out, it shouldnt be much more expensive than just the 2k2 motor.
Don't give me any ideas!
Old 07-02-2002, 01:04 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Iunno about a 2k2 motor; that sounds like a great deal of work. What about a 2000 or 2001 motor? Those have a lot more power, and they are still 3.0 litre engines. That.... that is my dream. Its no 255hp, but it'll be easier, and the money you save on the swap can go to more performance parts i guess. And that's a lot of money, when you think about it. Putting such a monstrous motor in a 4th gen would require sooo much work; you'd even have to adjust the suspension b/c the front end would be a lot heavier than normal. But I digress. If i were in your shoes, I'd look into dropping the latest 3.0 in there.

Something else, there's a ridiculous website for a ridiculous street people race on here in Houston. rankinroad.com. There's always a vulgar import vs domestic debate going on, and there is a guy who defends imports, and he seems to know his stuff. He was talking about how a skyline motor would fit into a maxima. Maybe you should look into that. I mean, if you're gonna go through the whole process of putting a 3.5liter v6 in it for 255hp, might as well look into putting a 280hp motor in there b/c the skyline motor's HP is governor limited. muahahahah, imagine the times with that car.
Old 07-02-2002, 01:08 PM

3.5L will fit, the block and heads are the same dimensions as a 3.0L. The weight increase would only be a few pounds from the variable cam control parts.

Its very doable!!!
Old 07-02-2002, 01:21 PM

Hey MardiGras,
Seeing as how you seem to know what all would be involved....how much would it cost to have a performance shop do it? How many hours of labor are involved??

---Thanks
Old 07-02-2002, 01:46 PM

Originally posted by Drew96I30
Hey MardiGras,
Seeing as how you seem to know what all would be involved....how much would it cost to have a performance shop do it? How many hours of labor are involved??

---Thanks
I dont know the exact hours to be billed, but it shouldnt be much more than a regular motor swap. The time to swap over the intake, fuel rails and misc sensors should be under 3hrs additional.
Old 07-02-2002, 01:46 PM

Originally posted by Drew96I30
Hey MardiGras,

---Thanks
It should cost somewhere between $500 - $1000 dollars depending on the shop and you shouldn't be without your car for more than a couple of days.
Old 07-02-2002, 02:02 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

Originally posted by BatKeeth
There's always a vulgar import vs domestic debate going on, and there is a guy who defends imports, and he seems to know his stuff. He was talking about how a skyline motor would fit into a maxima. Maybe you should look into that.
No, it won't.

Trust me, it won't.
Old 07-02-2002, 02:12 PM

This thread sucks, cause i was just waiting to have enough money for a 5 speed, but now your saying it bolts up the the 4th gen manifolds.

Are you sure it will work ok with the 4th gen ecu? Will the CVTC affect anything? Do you think the 4th gen manifolds will be restrictive compared to the block?

Will the input shaft on the tranny fit?

And sense you have those manuals, what are your thoughts about the six speed. I'm not to interested in it, but it would be nice to know. The HLSD would be sweet, but I imagine it will be a year or two at least before a decent one makes it to a junk yard. Just curious.
Old 07-02-2002, 03:32 PM
All YOUR grammer belong to me

Originally posted by BatKeeth
Iunno about a 2k2 motor; that sounds like a great deal of work. What about a 2000 or 2001 motor? Those have a lot more power, and they are still 3.0 litre engines. That.... that is my dream. Its no 255hp, but it'll be easier, and the money you save on the swap can go to more performance parts i guess. And that's a lot of money, when you think about it. Putting such a monstrous motor in a 4th gen would require sooo much work; you'd even have to adjust the suspension b/c the front end would be a lot heavier than normal. But I digress. If i were in your shoes, I'd look into dropping the latest 3.0 in there.
Is that why 4th gens are as fast and in the case of the 95-96 Max FASTER then the 5th Gen Maxima's Not to mention more torqueiness in the lower gears..
Old 07-02-2002, 03:47 PM

Originally posted by Craig Mack

Is that why 4th gens are as fast and in the case of the 95-96 Max FASTER then the 5th Gen Maxima's Not to mention more torqueiness in the lower gears..
Ours are faster than the 2k and 2k1 only because they are heavier(I also heard a rumor that nissan geared them funny). They would own us at high speeds though. A 2k2...riiiight, we wouldn't have a chance. As far as the 2k2 engine in a 4th gen, that would be a project, they are the same block but the new one was bored out for the extra .5 liters. Just get some forced induction, or nitrous, it would be much cheaper
Old 07-02-2002, 04:10 PM

Craig, 95-96 Maximas are lighter (only a little) but that doesn't mean that they're any faster at ALL than any other later 4th Generations. Even if the older 95-96 is in PERFECT condition the difference is so minimal, its almost nothing. Maybe its true in some cases, but its no world of a difference. I wish you wouldn't rely so heavily on this theory.
Old 07-02-2002, 04:10 PM

That's what inspired me starting this thread to begin with. I have a 96 GLE 100 shot of nos with cold intake, down pipe, straight pipe ect. And it's true I'm a little faster that the 2k2. Just a little! I can't help but to fantisize how fast all my upgrades would be on a motor the 60 MORE HORSES! Powie, I could run w/ some of the bigger boyz. 0-60 in less than 5 sec should be the result w/ no turbo or super charger...I'm just wondering if I could get the same result with about $2500 worth of engine rebuild stuff? 2k2 motor or engine rebuild? Best bang for the buck?
Old 07-02-2002, 04:17 PM

Originally posted by KINGMAX

Ours are faster than the 2k and 2k1 only because they are heavier(I also heard a rumor that nissan geared them funny). They would own us at high speeds though. A 2k2...riiiight, we wouldn't have a chance. As far as the 2k2 engine in a 4th gen, that would be a project, they are the same block but the new one was bored out for the extra .5 liters. Just get some forced induction, or nitrous, it would be much cheaper
I think two reasons why we have better low end grunt is becuase of our weight advantage AND no usage of variable timing, aka honDUH technology. Actually, that's where the majority of their extra power comes from, a ME VI would put us close to them HP wise, but also would take away from our precious low end POWAH.

Like Dave B. said, there is no proof that a 5th Gen will "own" a 4th gen on the highway, that's just speculation. I would say they might have a little better pull do to the VVT manifold but that's just a guess.

The main reason a 3.5VQ would be better than a 3.0VQ is the ability to hold more boost and have a deeper grumblier exhaust tone.
Old 07-02-2002, 04:18 PM

I am crying inside.
Old 07-02-2002, 04:21 PM

Originally posted by ReichMax97

Craig, 95-96 Maximas are lighter (only a little) but that doesn't mean that they're any faster at ALL than any other later 4th Generations. Even if the older 95-96 is in PERFECT condition the difference is so minimal, its almost nothing. Maybe its true in some cases, but its no world of a difference. I wish you wouldn't rely so heavily on this theory.
95-96 are .1-.2 seconds faster 0-60 then the 97-99 given the same driver. For example 6.5 seconds 0-60 for a '95 GXE compared to 6.6-6.7 seconds for a '97 GXE. Now, are you going to be able to feel that difference? Probubly not. But as minimal as it is, it's there. But the driver plays a bigger part, and the proof of this is Aaron (theblue) and his 1997 SE maxima.
Old 07-02-2002, 04:22 PM

I am crying inside.
you need to get out of the house calvin...go for a jog or something before you explode
Old 07-02-2002, 04:26 PM

you need to get out of the house calvin...go for a jog or something before you explode
I jog every other day ... I jogged yesterday.
Old 07-02-2002, 04:27 PM

I like this idea.

Originally posted by MardiGrasMax
Girls Girls Girls!!!

It will work.

My friend and I were thinking about a turbo project. But have been throwing around a motor swap for sometime (just for the fact that my engine has like 120K on it) And we were thinking about doing the full thing with ECU and 6spd and everything but just wouldn't be cost effective. But if the tranny matches up and our intake system works then this is probably a great idea. But last I heard was that the intake runners didn't match up. If they do then this would be a great swap just get the 3.5VQ from a wrecked pathfinder or altima or maxima and your set to go.

Two questions

1) Would it be a good idea to upgrade fuel system like bigger injectors and fuel pump to maximize the output of the engine???
My guess is it would help too much unless you were force inducted.

2) Would the six speed tranny fit under the hood of a 4g with out modifying the engine mount??? but that is something I need to probably figure out, plus the shifting rods would probably have to be modified along with where the sick is in the car...probalby to much of a hassle but it would be fun =)
Old 07-02-2002, 04:27 PM

???

This has topic has come up soooo many times....why not once and for all sombody just do it for crying out loud

-ChRi§
Old 07-02-2002, 04:31 PM

I think two reasons why we have better low end grunt is becuase of our weight advantage AND no usage of variable timing, aka honDUH technology. Actually, that's where the majority of their extra power comes from, a ME VI would put us close to them HP wise, but also would take away from our precious low end POWAH.
<SNIP>
Ok, I'm sorry, but you're wrong in two ways here.

First, 4th gens have better low-end grunt than 2k-2k1's because of the weight advantage and possibly different gearing -- I don't know if the 2k-2k1's are geared any differently or not, honestly. But it has ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with the variable timing since with variable timing the engine produces the most possible power it can at any given RPM's due to the constantly changing length of the intake runners on the engine. A VQ30DE-K (3.0 liter 5th gen engine) will show just as much, and probably more, power than any VQ30DE (4th gen engine) in the lower RPM ranges and hand the VQ30DE it's *** in the higher RPM ranges due to variable timing.

Second, a ME VI has absolutely NO effect on low-end power whatsoever. In fact, it has absolutely no effect on ANYTHING until around 5K-5.5K RPM's (where most people have it set to change the length of the intake runners), and then it just keeps the VQ30DE making plenty of power (like the VQ30DE-K) instead of letting it falling off as otherwise would.

I like you Craig, and I like your car, but please, get your facts straight.
Old 07-02-2002, 04:35 PM

Originally posted by micahdc
[B]

Second, a ME VI has absolutely NO effect on low-end power whatsoever. In fact, it has absolutely no effect until around 5K-5.5K RPM's (where most people have it set to change the length of the intake runners), and then it just keeps the VQ30DE making plenty of power (like the VQ30DE-K) instead of falling off as usual.
Hmmm....I remember when IAN dyno'ed he lost like 6-8 pound feet of torque before the ME VI turned on I believe Mr. Cranman also admitted to some lost torque?

I like you Craig, and I like your car.
Well thanks
Old 07-02-2002, 04:36 PM

Re: ???

Originally posted by MaxSpeedSE
This has topic has come up soooo many times....why not once and for all sombody just do it for crying out loud

-ChRi§
That is a serious contimplation for me now because last I knew the intake manifold from the 4th Gen wouldn't fit on the 2k2 put if they do that is all that was stopping me because it became to expensive to get the whole 2k2, 6spd tranny, and ECU unit not to mention on the work to install it all. That would be a pain. But, this sheds new light on a subject. Last I new was it was speculated that you could possible just swap out eternals but you would possibly be running at 11:1 compression and if you ran boost later on you would most likely run into problems. But, finding a block wouldn't be that hard and then just switching out the intake and exhaust, and injectors and fuel rails...would be and easy job to do and then when you boost the car you have a lot mor potential and don't have to worry about buying a new y-pipe and stuff. Very intriguing...=)
Old 07-02-2002, 04:36 PM

95-96 are .1-.2 seconds faster 0-60 then the 97-99 given the same driver. For example 6.5 seconds 0-60 for a '95 GXE compared to 6.6-6.7 seconds for a '97 GXE. Now, are you going to be able to feel that difference? Probubly not. But as minimal as it is, it's there. But the driver plays a bigger part, and the proof of this is Aaron (theblue) and his 1997 SE maxima.
Is there proof that ALL 95-96 Maximas whatever trim are .1-.2 sec. faster than ALL 97-99 Maximas, or is that based on one car vs. another car? Is there any conistent times listed somewhere for stock early 4th gen. against stock late 4th gen? I don't think this diffence is big enough to be able to label 95-96 faster than 97-99, thats all. Most 95-96 will have more wear and tear and mileage simply because they're older, and probably offsetting this difference in speed.
Old 07-02-2002, 04:37 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

I am crying inside.
Maybe I'll just lock this thread on principle.

It's hard watching this much BS and misinformation fly...

Old 07-02-2002, 04:40 PM

I didn't have a base dyno run

Hmmm....I remember when IAN dyno'ed he lost like 6-8 pound feet of torque before the ME VI turned on I believe Mr. Cranman also admitted to some lost torque?

Well thanks
I didn't have a base dyno run so I don't know if I lost in torque. But there is the possiblity because the VI looks a tad shorter than the stock collector therefore it can be projected that the VI might lose just a tad of torque...but with the VI on and off on just the VI collector there is no difference in torque...the torque curve remaians the same up to 5000RPMs. =)
Old 07-02-2002, 04:40 PM

Well, maybe I'm wrong and you're right after all. I guess I just remember looking over the dyno sheets and seeing nothing but gains, no losses.

Can someone clear this up? Inquiring minds want to know!
Old 07-02-2002, 04:47 PM

There might be a lost but .....

Well, maybe I'm wrong and you're right after all. I guess I just remember looking over the dyno sheets and seeing nothing but gains, no losses.

Can someone clear this up? Inquiring minds want to know!
Ok...there might be a loss in torque...because longer runner means more torque shorter runners help with HP. Anyway if the VI is shorter which I didn't really measure it just looked a tad bit shorter (might be because of the raise where the VI is) But because of that fact that longer runners mean or torque then because it is shorter you might lose a little torque in the power band. But, the gains you get with the VI make up a whole lot for the little Torque that you are robbed. Does that make sense??

-John
Old 07-03-2002, 12:38 AM

Re: There might be a lost but .....

Originally posted by Mr Cranman

Ok...there might be a loss in torque...because longer runner means more torque shorter runners help with HP. Anyway if the VI is shorter which I didn't really measure it just looked a tad bit shorter (might be because of the raise where the VI is) But because of that fact that longer runners mean or torque then because it is shorter you might lose a little torque in the power band. But, the gains you get with the VI make up a whole lot for the little Torque that you are robbed. Does that make sense??

-John
Yes, definitely. Thanks for clearing that up. By the way, you and I share the same last name. Are you at all related to the Cranman family from Savannah, Georgia?
Old 07-03-2002, 08:10 AM

Re: Re: There might be a lost but .....

Yes, definitely. Thanks for clearing that up. By the way, you and I share the same last name. Are you at all related to the Cranman family from Savannah, Georgia?
Cranman is a nickname actually

-John
Old 07-03-2002, 08:26 AM
rmb

LOL...

I love threads like this.

"It should just bolt right up".... LOL... "Maybe I'll slap a 'turbo' on it when I'm done." "It shouldn't cost too much. Maybe 500-1000 for the the installation" LOLLOLOLOLOLOL

-RMB

Quick Reply: Can I swap the 2002 Motor into a 4th Gen??