4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

New oils for "High Mileage Engines"..

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2002, 05:37 AM
Lifetime Maxer

New oils for "High Mileage Engines"..

Hey All,

Pennzoil, Quaker State and just about everyone else has come out with a new oil blend for high mileage engines...has anyone used them yet? Has anyone heard about whether they're really effective or not? Just curious...had my oil change yesterday and tried it (Quaker State one) I'll let you know if I notice anything!

-Chad
Old 07-03-2002, 05:43 AM
Sin

Re: New oils for "High Mileage Engines"..

Originally posted by maximachad
Hey All,

Pennzoil, Quaker State and just about everyone else has come out with a new oil blend for high mileage engines...has anyone used them yet? Has anyone heard about whether they're really effective or not? Just curious...had my oil change yesterday and tried it (Quaker State one) I'll let you know if I notice anything!

-Chad
One thing I would monitor is oil level, especially if you have had any oil leakage or consumption. These formulations, as you probably know, have a relatively high content of seal conditioners primarily, and slightly higher concentrations of detergents.

However, as someone that researched engine oils as part of my work with a Formula SAE team, nothing beats a high quality synthetic like AMSOIL. With today's modern engines, I wouldn't run anything other than AMSOIL or Redline (AMSOIL for street cars, and occasional race cars, Redline for race car alone, primarily because Redline has shorter drain intervals than AMSOIL). However, if I had an old 3800V6 with over 100K miles, and had minor leaks and consumption, I'd probably use such high mileage blends now and then.
Old 07-03-2002, 05:47 AM
Lifetime Maxer

Re: Re: New oils for "High Mileage Engines"..

Originally posted by Sin

One thing I would monitor is oil level, especially if you have had any oil leakage or consumption. These formulations, as you probably know, have a relatively high content of seal conditioners primarily, and slightly higher concentrations of detergents.

However, as someone that researched engine oils as part of my work with a Formula SAE team, nothing beats a high quality synthetic like AMSOIL. With today's modern engines, I wouldn't run anything other than AMSOIL or Redline (AMSOIL for street cars, and occasional race cars, Redline for race car alone, primarily because Redline has shorter drain intervals than AMSOIL). However, if I had an old 3800V6 with over 100K miles, and had minor leaks and consumption, I'd probably use such high mileage blends now and then.
Thanks for the info...I haven't had any problems at all - no leaks or oil consumption or anything like that. I was actually trying to prevent some of that stuff...preventative maintenance. Thanks again,
-Chad
Old 07-03-2002, 06:23 AM

Re: Re: Re: New oils for "High Mileage Engines"..

Originally posted by maximachad

Thanks for the info...I haven't had any problems at all - no leaks or oil consumption or anything like that. I was actually trying to prevent some of that stuff...preventative maintenance. Thanks again,
-Chad
The ironic thing is that the "high mileage" oils, with their extra seal conditioners are trying to fix a problem that is directly caused by using petroleum products themselves. Like Sin mentioned, the extra detergents and seal conditioners would be unmnecessary if a high quality synthetic was used instead.
Old 07-03-2002, 06:57 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: New oils for "High Mileage Engines"..

Would it be bad for the motor to change to a synthetic? Especially on high mileage motors?
Old 07-03-2002, 09:00 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: New oils for "High Mileage Engines"..

Originally posted by Pervis Anathema
Would it be bad for the motor to change to a synthetic? Especially on high mileage motors?
It's not so much high mileage motors that may have a problem, but poorly maintained one's. Many people have switched to synthetic with over 100K on the motors with no problems. The odds are better that you may have seal leakage issues the higher the mileage you switch over, but it's not a certainty. The reason seals can start leaking is that in an engine that is used hard with petroleum oil, and not maintained as well as it really should, sludge can build up around the seals, depriving the seals of oil. The oil actually is supposed to condition the seals and keep them supple. Since the oil can't get to the seal, it dries up and can crack. The sludge build-up around the seal prevents any leaks. When a synthetic is now used and the sludge is cleaned away, the oil can leak past the already damaged seal. Sometimes, the seal will re-swell slowly and the leak will stop. Other times it is too far gone and it really needs to be replaced. The leaking is not caused by the synthetic oil itself, rather the problem was already there and caused by petroleum oils, synthetics just bring the problem to the surface.

Is this bad for the engine? The worst that can happen is that you might need to replace the seals. Whether this is "bad" and outweighs the benefits you could realize from synthetic oil is really up to you.
Old 07-03-2002, 09:05 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: New oils for "High Mileage Engines"..

Originally posted by iwannabmw

It's not so much high mileage motors that may have a problem, but poorly maintained one's. Many people have switched to synthetic with over 100K on the motors with no problems. The odds are better that you may have seal leakage issues the higher the mileage you switch over, but it's not a certainty. The reason seals can start leaking is that in an engine that is used hard with petroleum oil, and not maintained as well as it really should, sludge can build up around the seals, depriving the seals of oil. The oil actually is supposed to condition the seals and keep them supple. Since the oil can't get to the seal, it dries up and can crack. The sludge build-up around the seal prevents any leaks. When a synthetic is now used and the sludge is cleaned away, the oil can leak past the already damaged seal. Sometimes, the seal will re-swell slowly and the leak will stop. Other times it is too far gone and it really needs to be replaced. The leaking is not caused by the synthetic oil itself, rather the problem was already there and caused by petroleum oils, synthetics just bring the problem to the surface.

Is this bad for the engine? The worst that can happen is that you might need to replace the seals. Whether this is "bad" and outweighs the benefits you could realize from synthetic oil is really up to you.
Thanks for the information. The only seal on my VG I am worried about is the rear main. Very labor intensive. The camshaft seals and front main are about 28k miles old. The rest of the engine appears to be fine. Once again, thanks.
Old 07-03-2002, 11:31 AM

Using Maxlife now..

Hi. I'm using Valvoline Maxlife at the present time. Started using the oil since April of this year. So far so good. No oil consumption since April. My '99 Maxima doesn't burn oil even before using Maxlife. Hopefully, in the long-run this oil really does reduce oil consumption.
Old 07-03-2002, 11:51 AM

Re: Using Maxlife now..

Also keep in mind not to just jump into synthetic. Ease into it with each oil change and once you go syn it's not wise to go back. I usually stick with mobil 1.
Old 07-03-2002, 11:57 AM

Re: Re: Using Maxlife now..

Originally posted by 1SikMax
Also keep in mind not to just jump into synthetic. Ease into it with each oil change and once you go syn it's not wise to go back. I usually stick with mobil 1.
Very old myth. There is nothing wrong with switching back and forth between conventional and synthetic lubricants. It's a waste of money, but it won't cause any problems.
Old 07-03-2002, 11:58 AM
Sin

Re: Re: Re: Using Maxlife now..

Originally posted by iwannabmw

Very old myth. There is nothing wrong with switching back and forth between conventional and synthetic lubricants. It's a waste of money, but it won't cause any problems.
Pretty true, except that some synthetics develop odd properties when mixed with non-synthetics, and even other engine oils, i.e. Mobil 1. Mobil 1, when combined with many other engine oils, thickens quite significantly.
Old 07-03-2002, 11:59 AM
rmb

Re: Re: Using Maxlife now..

Originally posted by 1SikMax
"Ease into it"? LOL! Good lord it's not a girl.

Just drain the pan, replace the filter and refill it with some synthetic of your choice (Mobil 1, Redline, Castrol, whatever).

You can also switch back anytime or mix them if you really feel like wasting money. But it won't hurt a thing to do so. Just make sure it's the same viscosity....

-RMB