4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

ferrari style shift gates for manual transmissions

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2002, 10:07 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

ferrari style shift gates for manual transmissions

Basically i just would like to see what kind of interest there are in having ferrari style shift gates for 5 speed maximas. At first i didn't think there was enuff room between 1,3,5, and 2,4,R to have a thick enuff gate, but after constructing a ghetto one out of stainless steel, it is very possible, and looks awesome. It still needs to be cleaned up and mounted, which will be done soon cuz my friend is outta town, but i would love to sell them on here if anyone is interested, and don't worry they wont be exspensive, i know what its like to be low on funds. I just want it to be perfected before i sell it, becuz this can look very ghetto if done wrong, and i dont want this to be all ricey and ghetto, so far it looks awesome, i want it to look flush and stock with the car, im not a big fan of things that "stick" out on a car. gimme a lil bit of time to finish it up, but lemme know if ur interested. The selling point for me, was we made the throws cutout just long enuff where the stick grazes it making a "kachink" sound every time u hit a gear.Thanks

p.s. i forgot to add, we were probably gonna get all the gear #'s and stuff engraved into the stainless above each slot
Old 07-04-2002, 10:16 PM

Re: ferrari style shift gates for manual transmissions

i think that the ferrari shift gates are ugly. myself and the guy that i valet park with all the time agree that they look ugly
Old 07-04-2002, 10:18 PM

I'm intrigued, definetely get some pics as soon as you can.
Old 07-04-2002, 10:59 PM

Maybe the shift gate can help the lame feel for our gear box. Sometimes I have a hard time getting from 2nd to 3rd when I'm on the go. I'll be flooring it and then I get stuck between 3rd and 5th gear and I don't mean 4th...hehe. But literally, my shift is stuck in neutral and I lose some precious time. I'd like to see some pics. I like the Ferrari look, but I also like the leather bag too.
Old 07-05-2002, 01:17 AM

Originally posted by Kevin Wong
I have a hard time getting from 2nd to 3rd when I'm on the go. I'll be flooring it and then I get stuck between 3rd and 5th gear and I don't mean 4th...hehe. But literally, my shift is stuck in neutral and I lose some precious time.
Ahem..... learn to drive your car.
Old 07-05-2002, 02:10 AM

Originally posted by Draino
I'm intrigued, definetely get some pics as soon as you can.
Old 07-05-2002, 03:53 AM
Former Sponsor

if you have ever driven a Ferrari or a Lambo you know that the gated shifter is one of the worst things about those cars
Old 07-05-2002, 04:42 AM
Spelled with a I not a L for Iilac. Prounced Ii-eee-ack.

Originally posted by carnal_c30
if you have ever driven a Ferrari or a Lambo you know that the gated shifter is one of the worst things about those cars

Whenever I see pics of the shifter in the lambo or the ferrari, I thinked to myself, "won't that be a ***** to shift fast." It seems clunky.
Old 07-05-2002, 05:09 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally posted by Iilac

It seems clunky.
trust me it is it looks nice and sounds cool but damn its SOOOOO easy to miss shifts
Old 07-05-2002, 05:58 AM

Originally posted by Iilac

Whenever I see pics of the shifter in the lambo or the ferrari, I thinked to myself, "won't that be a ***** to shift fast." It seems clunky.
i said it before and i'll say it again, i have driven a few ferrari's, and i don't like the shift gate. i thought to myself, "why don't they just put a normal shifter on there like the maxima and give it a leather boot?" everything else in the damn car is leather
Old 07-05-2002, 11:50 AM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

i dont' think they look nice
Old 07-05-2002, 01:02 PM

If you make this, I will definately buy one. I've loved the look of a gated shifter since the first time I saw one. I've always wanted to make one but I've never had the time. Please get some pics up!
Old 07-05-2002, 01:05 PM

Now that I think about the technical issues though, wouldnt the gates be a different distance from each other if one has a short throw shifter? And depending on the setting (if you have a pacesetter), the gates would have to be adjusted accordingly, right?

I dont think this could be a universal mod unless your car is stock.
Old 07-05-2002, 03:09 PM

Ferrari shift gate isn't a style to begin with, it's life... Back in the days when Enzo Ferrari drove for Alfa Romeo, all those race car had gated shifting... there wasn't leather boot available, plus have you ever seen a race car has leather boot? So it's tradition that the shifters were all gated. It's all part of Ferrari tradition... it's just like if you own an F40, would you complain there is no A/C and there's no windows and the whole dash vibrates like hell?
Old 07-05-2002, 03:19 PM

Originally posted by Tifosi
Ferrari shift gate isn't a style to begin with, it's life... Back in the days when Enzo Ferrari drove for Alfa Romeo, all those race car had gated shifting... there wasn't leather boot available, plus have you ever seen a race car has leather boot? So it's tradition that the shifters were all gated. It's all part of Ferrari tradition... it's just like if you own an F40, would you complain there is no A/C and there's no windows and the whole dash vibrates like hell?
I wonder how the Civic DX drivers feel
Old 07-05-2002, 03:22 PM
Sin

Re: ferrari style shift gates for manual transmissions

I've always liked the look, maybe not on a sedan where the shifter is located so much lower relative to the driver, but I'd still think it would be intersting. In any case, instead of being negative, I have nothing but love for your effort. It's effort like yours that brings innovation and new ideas, and I am personally thankful for it, regardless of whether I would like it or not.

Don't give up just because a couple people wouldn't want it in their car. Do it right, and they'll be the first ones to be jealous, recanting their initial comments, and begging for them at the prices you set.

Good luck.
Old 07-05-2002, 03:24 PM

Originally posted by gtr_rider

I wonder how the Civic DX drivers feel
That's why they put Altezza's on, cut their springs and put a tin can muffler on....think they are driving a Ferrari.
Old 07-05-2002, 03:26 PM

Re: Re: ferrari style shift gates for manual transmissions

Originally posted by Sin
I've always liked the look, maybe not on a sedan where the shifter is located so much lower relative to the driver, but I'd still think it would be intersting. In any case, instead of being negative, I have nothing but love for your effort. It's effort like yours that brings innovation and new ideas, and I am personally thankful for it, regardless of whether I would like it or not.

Don't give up just because a couple people wouldn't want it in their car. Do it right, and they'll be the first ones to be jealous, recanting their initial comments, and begging for them at the prices you set.

Good luck.
Absolutely!!! I'm definitely interested! Let us know the progress! Thanks!
Old 07-05-2002, 03:30 PM

Re: Re: ferrari style shift gates for manual transmissions

Originally posted by Sin

Good luck.
I totally agree.

And since I bought a pacesetter STS which is polished and shiny, I want to be able to show it off instead of hide it under an ugly boot.
Old 07-05-2002, 07:11 PM

sorry i been out for a while, dont worry i completely understand that this is either sompin u would love or hate, and im not doing it to make my car look like a ferrari, that was just the best way i could describe it. we were shifting with it and i like it a lot, much smoother and everything, and notice i said its takin a little bit of time cuz i dont want it to look all ghetto, oops gotta run, its friday, ride is here, later...ill post again tonite
Old 07-05-2002, 07:49 PM
Former Sponsor

sorry to bag on you before, I love the look of gated shifters and I'm sure you would love it, but its not really an improvement shift wise over the current shifter... thats whay I didnt want it

by all means go out and do what you want for the car I'm sure it would look sweet... there is nothing as sweet as a solid carved and etched chunk of aluminium like the Ferrari gates!! but its a pain to shift!
Old 07-05-2002, 08:27 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

hey that definetky sounds interesting. I'd be the first in line to purchase one of you. I've thought about this before but couldnt find anything like that before. So when developed please let me know. Good Luck
Old 07-05-2002, 09:57 PM

ok im back, and excuse the typing if it is bad, it turned out to be a funner nite then planned, all i can say is im rilly glad there has been a postive response to this, its more motivation for me to get this done rilly nicely, my friend should be back this weeknd from his vacation and we should be completing it, dont worry plenty of pics will be up when its finally done, just be patient, this was just merely to see the response. thanks!
Old 07-05-2002, 10:37 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

sounds like a good idea...but i'm kinda iffy i would like to have them but i wouldn't at teh same time
Old 07-05-2002, 10:54 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

i dont think the gear moves that far up and down for it to look nice, but then again you could have fake space for the gears. IMO boots look nicer, but i like the atempt for creating something new. I too am working on a project, its a new type of lower valence....no gutter mesh here tho.
Old 07-05-2002, 11:40 PM

Originally posted by Mad Dhan
i dont think the gear moves that far up and down for it to look nice, but then again you could have fake space for the gears. IMO boots look nicer, but i like the atempt for creating something new. I too am working on a project, its a new type of lower valence....no gutter mesh here tho.

thats what i was talkin about before, i didnt thinkg the vertical throws would be long enuff or the width would prive enuff for gates, but by moving the gate up on a mount about an inch up it provides more then enuff and looks very smooth, believe me i was just as skeptical, thanks for the support, its turnin out better then i thought.
Old 07-06-2002, 06:55 AM

First...I have an auto...

Second...I'd buy this if you had it for my 5spd that I don't have yet.

Third...if you can't drive a "gated" stick, you can't drive stick, its not all that difficult.

I love the gated shifters, never miss a gear. I hate the porsche close gears and all...there is something about that "clink" dropping into 5th that is just amazing.

Erik
Old 07-06-2002, 10:21 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

The gated shifters on the Italian cars are because of the internal design of the transmission. If the car didn't have the gate, you'd have no idea what gear you're in. The gates look cool, but they are FAR from performance oriented. You'll never be able to quickly shift the 2-3, 3-2, 4-5, or 5-4. With a standard manual, all you have to do is slam the shifter up for a fast 2-3 (assuming you know how to shift the right way). With the gated shifter, you're forced to push up, over, and back up. That takes time and opens the door for a lot of error.

I doubt ANYONE in this forum has driven a Ferrari or Lambo at WOT and attempted to hit a fast 2-3 shift. Around the town shifting doesn't require fast shifting so using the "learn how to drive" statement doesn't apply. I think we'll all have go with what the mags say about the gated shifters, "they suck".

A gated shifter on a STS equipped Maxima will require a different design because the shift throws and location of those throws are completely different over stock.

Dave
Old 07-06-2002, 10:43 AM

Originally posted by Mad Dhan
that is a really nice looking shift ****! where did you get it? custom made right?
Old 07-06-2002, 10:24 PM

Originally posted by Dave B
The gated shifters on the Italian cars are because of the internal design of the transmission. If the car didn't have the gate, you'd have no idea what gear you're in. The gates look cool, but they are FAR from performance oriented. You'll never be able to quickly shift the 2-3, 3-2, 4-5, or 5-4. With a standard manual, all you have to do is slam the shifter up for a fast 2-3 (assuming you know how to shift the right way). With the gated shifter, you're forced to push up, over, and back up. That takes time and opens the door for a lot of error.

I doubt ANYONE in this forum has driven a Ferrari or Lambo at WOT and attempted to hit a fast 2-3 shift. Around the town shifting doesn't require fast shifting so using the "learn how to drive" statement doesn't apply. I think we'll all have go with what the mags say about the gated shifters, "they suck".

A gated shifter on a STS equipped Maxima will require a different design because the shift throws and location of those throws are completely different over stock.

Dave
Like Tifosv122 said, it really isn't that hard at all. Of course, this is from the single only experience driving a 308. But maybe for some, the idea of driving a gated shifter is quite intimidating... But I would rather drive a what you would call "sucky shifting" Ferrari any day then a pacesetter euipped... or whatever short shift thing you have in there Maxima.

Hey Tifosv122, what happened to that Ferrari Tech Day page? I wasn't done drooling over those pics yet!
p.s. I say Michael takes it in the Rain at Silverstone!
Old 07-06-2002, 10:34 PM
Former Sponsor

Dave
I have my friends F355 before he bought a new one with the F1 shifter and a Lambo that me and a friend test drove (he's a diplomat its not that hard to get into a Lambo with diplomatic ID)
Old 07-06-2002, 11:52 PM

Originally posted by VQdriver
that is a really nice looking shift ****! where did you get it? custom made right?
yes it is custom made, i made it and am selling them. email me for more info. jkrdhan@hotmail.com

srry to go OT here
Old 07-07-2002, 01:29 PM

I have driven them at WOT and had no problem shifting very quickly. Mags say they don't like the gated shifters because they have nothing really bad to say so its an easy target.

Tifosi - The pics were taking up too much room on my server, if you want some pics, I have hundreds from over the years, send me an e-mail for specific models and i'll send them over to you.

Erik
Old 07-07-2002, 01:38 PM

ill be honest with u, the point of this is all looks, our shifters are notchy enuff where this wont make a difference, the gate doesnt come all the way down to the nuetral point, there is a lil square for play. so honestly u wont notice its there, its just looks,
Old 07-07-2002, 03:05 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Originally posted by tifosiv122

I have driven them at WOT and had no problem shifting very quickly. Mags say they don't like the gated shifters because they have nothing really bad to say so its an easy target.

If gated shifters were so ideal for racing, then why don't other marques would use them? Ferrari and Lambo use these gated shifters in order to keep engineering costs down for the most part and to keep thier exclusive image of doing everything just a bit differently. Ferraris and Lambos aren't drag cars therefore extremely quick shifting isn't required for these cars. I'm not saying the Maxima is a drag car, but it will be much easier to hit off quicker shifts.

Think about it for a second. Having to upshift in gated shifter requires you to push up, over, and then push back up, not to mention the fact the "gate" introduces the potential for getting hung up on. On a fully syncronized tranny, hitting an upshift is a matter of holding your hand the correct way and slamming the shifter up. It's one motion. The gated shifter requires 3 motions.

Dave
Old 07-07-2002, 03:29 PM

even if it has no advantage or even hurts performance i still think people would buy them. A large amount of people dont track their 5spds and are just mostly into the razzle dazzle stuff. I think it will sell, but not like hotcakes.

You know what would be an even better project, making a gated shifter for autos...like in the 2k2 max. That would sell for sure.
Old 07-07-2002, 10:22 PM

dave has a good point, but dave u have to understand, where the gate is located is a spot that our shifters cant even get to. a civic stick is all over the place,ours is rather stiff and notchy. if u push ur bag all the way down ull see that from the 2-3 shift u can just push straight up and it will follow its path. so its not like the gates come all they way to the neutral spot like in lambos. they actually need the gates, ours dont, this merely just fills in the invisible space between each gear. belive me, i hate to start an argument, but its my fault for not postin pics cuz they arent done. just keep lettin me know who's gonna be interested.
Old 07-08-2002, 09:45 AM

Originally posted by NotNew!!NewSN!!
its my fault for not postin pics cuz they arent done. just keep lettin me know who's gonna be interested.
Then hurry up and get it done so we can see what it looks like
Old 07-08-2002, 07:48 PM

dave, first off let me just say that i have driven a ferrari 355 spyder and a 512 tr at wide open throttle. did i try the quick shift from 1-2, or 3-4? h#ll no. i don't think that that would work too well. i don't like the look of the shift gate, either.