4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

FYI: Oxygen Sensors (Bosch) for $77.99!

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2002, 07:11 PM
Lifetime Maxer

FYI: Oxygen Sensors (Bosch) for $77.99!

Just wanted to let you all know that I did a little shopping around for oxygen sensors - found them at AUTOZONE (www.autozone.com) for 77.99 each! The front manifold sensor and rear manifold sensors are the same price. I have a store near me, so I don't even have to pay shipping. To think that this same sensor is $178 at my Nissan dealer
-Chad
Old 07-09-2002, 07:29 PM

i know Bosch spark plugs suck *** as opposed to the OEM plugs...so maybe its teh same with the o2 sensors...but then again, what can one sensor do different from the other?
Old 07-09-2002, 07:32 PM

Yes I'd heard that about the spark plugs, but Bosch are the OEM oxygen sensors I believe. Great price on those..
Old 07-09-2002, 08:23 PM
Ramius83

When it comes to those VERY important sensors, it is always in the best interest of the driver to get OEM.......

Old 07-10-2002, 12:17 AM
My other car is a Hybrid

OEM is made by BOSCH...
Old 07-10-2002, 12:52 AM

Originally posted by Chunger
OEM is made by BOSCH...
Old 07-10-2002, 08:56 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: FYI: Oxygen Sensors (Bosch) for $77.99!

Originally posted by maximachad
Just wanted to let you all know that I did a little shopping around for oxygen sensors - found them at AUTOZONE (www.autozone.com) for 77.99 each! The front manifold sensor and rear manifold sensors are the same price. I have a store near me, so I don't even have to pay shipping. To think that this same sensor is $178 at my Nissan dealer
-Chad
Just spoke to the Acme Auto folks who claim they will match the Autozone price. (for those of you with Acme Auto's near you)
Old 07-10-2002, 09:22 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by davey6693
Yes I'd heard that about the spark plugs, but Bosch are the OEM oxygen sensors I believe. Great price on those..
What is wrong with the Bosch spark plugs? And which ones are supposed to be bad? They make a ton.

-Jon
Old 07-10-2002, 09:46 AM

Bosch does not make titanium sensors which was in my max (rear O2).Look for NTK sensors they outperform Bosch.I bought bosch but it did not fit in as it was too big.Take your old O2 sensor and compare with the Bosch from autozone.
Old 07-10-2002, 12:15 PM

Re: FYI: Oxygen Sensors (Bosch) for $77.99!

Originally posted by maximachad
-Chad
OE replacement for the bank sensors can be bought at www.buyoxygensensors.com.
Old 07-10-2002, 12:20 PM
My other car is a Hybrid

Originally posted by jayanth
Bosch does not make titanium sensors which was in my max (rear O2).Look for NTK sensors they outperform Bosch.I bought bosch but it did not fit in as it was too big.Take your old O2 sensor and compare with the Bosch from autozone.
Never heard of titanium in O2 sensors... but when I took off both my factory front O2s for replacement... Bosch was stamped on it...
Old 07-10-2002, 12:48 PM

Read this article on O2 sensors,

The titanium oxygen sensor is a whole different animal (it's often called "titania," but that's the name of the fairy queen in English folklore, not that of the metallic element). Nissan is the biggest user. In '93, for example, every model except the Maxima and the V6 pickup had titanium sensors. There's also a sprinkling of others on the road. AMC used it on Jeeps from '87 to '90, but when Chrysler bought that company, all engines were switched over to Mopar's own corporate system, which requires a zirconium sensor. Some Toyotas have had it, too, such as the '89 Corolla GTS.

Instead of generating voltage, its resistance changes dramatically when the oxygen content of the exhaust reflects stoichiometry, so it's used to modify a reference signal (typically one volt) from the computer in much the same way as a coolant temperature sensor. What happens is oxygen blocks the passage of electrons through the TiO2 element, and resistance rises sharply as the mix goes lean.

It's much less susceptible to lead poisoning than zirconium, but that's not a consideration anymore. On the other hand, it can't tolerate anti-freeze, and it needs to be kept at a very stable temperature in order to produce an accurate signal, so all specimens are electrically heated.

How can you tell whether or not the sensor you're looking at is titanium? In the case of Nissan, it'll have 12mm threads instead of the standard 18mm. Sometimes, its wire will be color-coded red. In every instance, there's no atmospheric vent.
Old 07-10-2002, 02:21 PM
Ramius83

Are the rear bank and front bank o2 sensors the same?

Old 07-10-2002, 04:09 PM
My other car is a Hybrid

Originally posted by Ramius83
Are the rear bank and front bank o2 sensors the same?
Different part # - mostly due to the harness length...
Old 07-10-2002, 04:27 PM
Ramius83

Re: Re: FYI: Oxygen Sensors (Bosch) for $77.99!

Originally posted by SillePimp
OE replacement for the bank sensors can be bought at www.buyoxygensensors.com.
So are these the right sensors that I would need to buy?????

Old 07-11-2002, 12:48 PM

Re: Re: Re: FYI: Oxygen Sensors (Bosch) for $77.99!

Originally posted by Ramius83

So are these the right sensors that I would need to buy?????
I think the OE has 3 wires. According to their website, these have 3 wires and goes directly into the OE harness.
Old 07-11-2002, 08:54 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

What started out easy...

...has become confusing.
Old 07-12-2002, 05:31 AM

Why exactly are you changing the O2 sensors? The maintenance schedule doesn't show a need to change them out. Are you having problems or have forum members found that it restores performance? Just curious!
Old 07-12-2002, 06:36 AM

3 sensors

i went to the dealership becuz my check light came on. they told me that both sensors were out; the front and rear. Then in the next sentence, they told me $500 to change both. The bad thing about it is, if i had $500, i would've gotten it done. Good thing i didn't have $500, becuz i called autozone and they told me about the $77 sensors. i bought both and a maxima manual. The only problem i ran into is that the manual showed a picture of two sensors, one on the manifold(front) and one on the cat. conveter - which i thought was the rear sensor. So i pulled at the sensor on the converter to get it out and come to find out it was different from the one i bought at autozone. After calling autozone, they told me the sensors were for the manifold and not cat. converter. They didn't have the any knowledge of the car having a cat. converter sensor. Long story short, i had to buy the cat. converter sensor from somewhere else but i did all three on my own for less than $250.00.
Old 07-12-2002, 11:37 AM

Re: 3 sensors

Originally posted by Chillin
i went to the dealership becuz my check light came on. they told me that both sensors were out; the front and rear. Then in the next sentence, they told me $500 to change both. The bad thing about it is, if i had $500, i would've gotten it done. Good thing i didn't have $500, becuz i called autozone and they told me about the $77 sensors. i bought both and a maxima manual. The only problem i ran into is that the manual showed a picture of two sensors, one on the manifold(front) and one on the cat. conveter - which i thought was the rear sensor. So i pulled at the sensor on the converter to get it out and come to find out it was different from the one i bought at autozone. After calling autozone, they told me the sensors were for the manifold and not cat. converter. They didn't have the any knowledge of the car having a cat. converter sensor. Long story short, i had to buy the cat. converter sensor from somewhere else but i did all three on my own for less than $250.00.

I am dealing with a similar problem.. does anybody know which sensor is bank one sensor one?? Is it in the y-pipe? There is two in the Y of a 96 SE and one in the cat...which one should I change?? Please advise any pics or links are always more than appriciated!!!
Old 07-12-2002, 12:45 PM

I think my Rear Heated o2 Sensor needs to be replaced because my check engine light is on and that is the code that it's throwing. Which sensor should I buy for this?

Thanks,
-Nick
Old 07-12-2002, 12:55 PM

I need to replace all mine

So I wonder if anyone can post directions on locations and what tools I will need to replace all my O2 sensors.
Old 07-12-2002, 01:01 PM

Re: Re: 3 sensors

Originally posted by JustMaxin96

I am dealing with a similar problem.. does anybody know which sensor is bank one sensor one?? Is it in the y-pipe? There is two in the Y of a 96 SE and one in the cat...which one should I change?? Please advise any pics or links are always more than appriciated!!!
If I recall correctly there was a recall relating to the 02 sensors on the 96.

i'd call nissan to confirm. (of course, even if there was a recall, they will tell you there wasn't)
Old 07-12-2002, 01:28 PM

Re: Re: Re: 3 sensors

Originally posted by Max_Gator

If I recall correctly there was a recall relating to the 02 sensors on the 96.

i'd call nissan to confirm. (of course, even if there was a recall, they will tell you there wasn't)
Is that a fact? Does anybody have any proof of this? I just bought an O2 sensor and I would love to get my money back. Does anyone know which O2 sensor is bank 1 sensor 1? on a 96.
Thanks a lot
Old 07-12-2002, 01:30 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: 3 sensors

Originally posted by JustMaxin96

Is that a fact? Does anybody have any proof of this? I just bought an O2 sensor and I would love to get my money back. Does anyone know which O2 sensor is bank 1 sensor 1? on a 96.
Thanks a lot
Well, I did a search and it seems there is some controversy over whether it was a recall or not.

http://forums.maxima.org/search.php?...der=descending