5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Service Engine Soon Light

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2000, 02:47 PM

I have a 2K GXE Auto tranny Maxima (not suffering from the trans probs I am reading thankfully), however i just got back from a long drive last night, after a lot of driving over a 5 day period. I put about 2200 miles on my car in that time frame, and last night while winding through the mountains on I-40 from Knoxville, TN, to Asheville, NC-a lot of speed up, slow down driving, my Check Engine Soon light came on. I find this kind of odd since it is a new car with so few miles on it. I called the dealer and they said it was possibly a bad O2 sensor. The car does feel a slight bit sluggish, but that could just be my bewilderment setting in. Service dept said it was probably not something to worry about and to bring the car in when I can (I should be checking it in on Thursday, so they can hook it up to the diagnostic computer). But has anyone else experienced this light coming on? And what was the problem?

Thanks much guys!

Old 09-05-2000, 02:52 PM
The silent but deadly Moderator

it prolly is the O2 sensor and not too much

to worry about. annoying... but harmless. I've been making too many trips back to the dealer for annoying things too... thankfully no showstoppers. try not to get too upset until the dealer takes a peek at it. I was balistic when my AC failed. they bled some freon off and it was fine... 20 minute deal. But I thought it was going to be a BIG deal. still better than a domestic car with the engine falling out on the ground or something
Old 09-05-2000, 03:21 PM

so far...

I'm not terribly worried about it. I'm laughing pretty hard though about your comment with the engines falling out. Good point. But after the last Maxima (the 89) I won't worry much at all. Even that one had a few minor quirks when we first bought it that had to be ironed out. 2 cars I had many problems with in the past: Camaro Z28 (worst buy of any of my cars. I will never go back to American, or in this case, Canadian I believe. Correct me if I'm wrong), and also an Acura Legend-Because of this car, I swear off EVER having another car with Leather, and too many buzzers and gizmos, besides the auto tranny in them stinks. I had a friend with an 84 Maxima like mine that lasted for 495K miles with only one auto trans replacement.
Old 09-05-2000, 05:18 PM

o2 sensor prob. >>>

but when you find out, will you post please?

the new 2k may have a problem w/ the front pre-cat which sets off the o2 sensor (so it may not the the o2 sensor, but the pre-cat the the front o2 sensor is connected to). there may be a build quality issue. if they have one you'll get it replaced, unless it's on back backoder as some cars are experiencing.

kafene
m2d@earthlink.net
Old 09-05-2000, 05:28 PM

definitely will let everyone know the outcome...

I can't think of any newly designed car I've owned or a friend or family member has had, that did not have a few oddities that needed ironing out. My girlfriend's 2K Sentra has a horrendous whistle when you drive in a crosswind, or at speeds around 70 (no 4 banger jokes please ), and its attributed to the window molding. Luckily we bought both cars at the same dealer within 2 months of each other. (She opted for the Sentra because it was a "cute" car...heh heh heh. Me, I drive way too much so the Maxima was the ONLY way to go. Should have 36K to 40K miles the first year, and no, I'm not a salesman, I just travel a lot, and enjoy long drives.

See, I always get off tangent. Heh heh