5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

My 2k1 Maxima's Interior Noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2002, 08:58 PM

My 2k1 Maxima's Interior Noise

This is my first maxima. I have owned it for over a year, and I was just wondering if it is just me or are Maxima's not quiet. There is a lot of wind noise when driving on the freeway. And on cement there is road noise. Does anyone have similar experiences. Is there anyway to remedy this problem. I was just always under the impression that Maxima's were quiet.
Old 07-14-2002, 09:22 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: My 2k1 Maxima's Interior Noise

Originally posted by issa3032

I was just always under the impression that Maxima's were quiet.
You were under the wrong impression.
Old 07-15-2002, 04:28 AM

This is my first maxima. I have owned it for over a year, and I was just wondering if it is just me or are Maxima's not quiet. There is a lot of wind noise when driving on the freeway. And on cement there is road noise. Does anyone have similar experiences. Is there anyway to remedy this problem. I was just always under the impression that Maxima's were quiet.
Get different tires. I won't even begin to suggest a particular brand or model, you'll have to do a search for that!

Tony
Old 07-15-2002, 06:57 AM
jjs

AS for wind noise, SEARCH on wind noise TSB...

some members have had this service done.....
Old 07-15-2002, 07:40 AM

Re: Re: My 2k1 Maxima's Interior Noise

Originally posted by Tony Fernandes

Get different tires. I won't even begin to suggest a particular brand or model, you'll have to do a search for that!

Tony

If you have the stock tires I doubt they are the cause, they are generally pretty quiet unless badly out of alignment.
Old 07-15-2002, 07:43 AM
jjs

Just out of curiosity, what were you comparing the Max noise levels to? What other cars are you using as the basis for your comment.

This is not a flame or argument starter, I am just wondering if this is an opinion based on the Max alone, or one based on a comparison to another vehicle (and if that comparison would be a fair one).
Old 07-15-2002, 11:49 AM
Larrfry

There is a problem with wind noise ---- a big problem!!!

The TSB (technical service bulletin) mentions only wind noise at the right rear window and left rear window of the vehicle. NOT THE CASE!!!!!!!!!!!

The wind noise is most noticeable at higher speeds - above 65mph but still noticeable below. At 80mph it is very annoying.

I had a friend sit in all the seats and the wind noise was noticeable in 3 out of 4 positions (passengers front window had no noise - but drivers window and the two rear windows had noise). I had my friend drive and I noticed the same thing as I changed seating positions!!!!!)

The noise is obtrusive and not appropriate for a quality car. My 1988 Supra had none of this nor a 2000 Protege and any number of other cars I've driven.

Old 07-17-2002, 12:43 PM

Originally posted by Larrfry

There is a problem with wind noise ---- a big problem!!!

The TSB (technical service bulletin) mentions only noise at the right and left rear of the vehicle. NOT THE CASE!!!!!!!!!!!

The wind noise is most noticeable at high speeds - above 65mph but still noticeable below.

I had a friend sit in all the seats and the wind noise was noticeable in 3 out of 4 positions (passengers front had no noise)

The noise is obtrusive and not appropriate for a quality car.
I notice the same thing in the 2k2...
Old 07-18-2002, 04:25 PM
Larrfry

Re: Re: Re: My 2k1 Maxima's Interior Noise

Originally posted by MarcusJY

I notice the same thing in the 2k2...

We all need to complain a great deal more to the dealer. Nissan isn't going to fix this if there are not enough complaints. Remember , by Nissan's own words, the Maxima is their "flagship". The best car they produce!

If you rarely drive on the highway, you won't notice this problem. I didn't notice it at 50 mph but at 65 to 75 mph --- it is very obvious to me. It's obvious at most highway speeds - the higher the speed, the clearer you can hear it but it really isn't all that subtle UNLESS YOUR LAST CAR WAS FAIRLY NOISY and you consider such noise typical. I'm use to a car that was quiet (even though it was made in 1988!) and to hear this noise - this low rushing air sound in one ear ( the ear closest to the window) is like a noisy air conditioner in your house. You can get use to it but you really should not have to. Certainly not a problem that should be evident in any modern car.

It is not evident, at even higher speeds in a 2000 Mazda Protege nor in older Camrys.

Complain and they will fix it (after a while). That is my philosophy. This is a glaring fault in the Maxima but we all need to complain!!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-19-2002, 05:09 PM
Larrfry

Originally posted by jjs

Just out of curiosity, what were you comparing the Max noise levels to? What other cars are you using as the basis for your comment.

This is not a flame or argument starter, I am just wondering if this is an opinion based on the Max alone, or one based on a comparison to another vehicle (and if that comparison would be a fair one).
Fair point:

I compared it to a 1988 Supra driven routinely at much higher speeds, a 2000 Mazda Protege, various Toyota Camrys of various vintages, and a 1987 Ford Taurus station wagaon which was driven on the highway above all reasonable speed limits yet it remained unbelieveably quiet!!!!!!!!

Is it unreasonable to expect a 2000 Maxima to remain quiet at highway speeds?