5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

To those who are still paying for car and had an insurance claim

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2002, 03:27 PM

To those who are still paying for car and had an insurance claim

My car was vandalized past w-end, and now the insurance company says they wont cut the check just on my name, but only either bodyshop, or me/lienholder(NMAC). Adjuster said there's some kind of a law they go by. Is this true?
Old 07-16-2002, 03:30 PM

Re: To those who are still paying for car and had an insurance claim

Originally posted by Y2KMaxGXE-R
My car was vandalized past w-end, and now the insurance company says they wont cut the check just on my name, but only either bodyshop, or me/lienholder(NMAC). Adjuster said there's some kind of a law they go by. Is this true?
No it is not true... I made and ins. claim and they cut me a check in my name. And I am still paying for my car
Old 07-16-2002, 03:30 PM
I'm needing a caw

It's a common policy. I don't see the problem. You want to use the $ to buy aftermarket stuff? Work with the bodyshop.

The insurance companies do this to reduce false claims. Buy paying directly to the shop, the policy holder has incentive to commit insurance fraud. It also makes sure the car is fixed and that the insurance company is still insuring a car worth xxxx dollars(I guess)
Old 07-16-2002, 03:33 PM

Originally posted by Jeff92se
It's a common policy. I don't see the problem. You want to use the $ to buy aftermarket stuff? Work with the bodyshop.

The insurance companies do this to reduce false claims. Buy paying directly to the shop, the policy holder has incentive to commit insurance fraud. It also makes sure the car is fixed and that the insurance company is still insuring a car worth xxxx dollars(I guess)
then how come i got a check in my name? this is getting weird?
Old 07-16-2002, 03:35 PM
I'm needing a caw

I think it's up to the individual insurance company. ie.. I needed work done on an Accord(that I owned) but the insurance paid the bodyshop direct.

Originally posted by Igor911

Old 07-16-2002, 03:35 PM

first time I hear this. But look-I had my aftermaket stereo in which they wont value at all. The only thing they will pay for-my OEM tape player, which has a list price of 1400. So, they will "fix" my car and force me to put in the damn player, when I can pocket 1400?

My claim is legit-I have a police report, it is very unfair that insurance company decides what do I do with my money. Then how come others get checks on their names?
Old 07-16-2002, 03:40 PM
I'm needing a caw

Do you have a receipt for the stereo? Does you insurance require an extra rider for aftermarket components??? I never said you claim wasn't legit. Just trying to tell you why they pay the shop direct. If the shop will get cut a $1400 check, ask them if you can buy $1400 worth of stereo stuff instead of the oem unit.

And again, the reason why some companies don't pay you direct is so you CANNOT pocket the $1400.

first time I hear this. But look-I had my aftermaket stereo in which they wont value at all. The only thing they will pay for-my OEM tape player, which has a list price of 1400. So, they will "fix" my car and force me to put in the damn player, when I can pocket 1400?

My claim is legit-I have a police report, it is very unfair that insurance company decides what do I do with my money. Then how come others get checks on their names?
Old 07-16-2002, 03:45 PM

Do you have a receipt for the stereo? Does you insurance require an extra rider for aftermarket components??? I never said you claim wasn't legit. Just trying to tell you why they pay the shop direct. If the shop will get cut a $1400 check, ask them if you can buy $1400 worth of stereo stuff instead of the oem unit.

And again, the reason why some companies don't pay you direct is so you CANNOT pocket the $1400.

I pocketed my $$$
Old 07-16-2002, 03:49 PM
I'm needing a caw

I rest my case

I pocketed my $$$
Old 07-16-2002, 03:50 PM

When my car was wrecked, the insurance company made out the check to myself AND the lien holder (credit union). All you have to do is have the lien holder endorse it under your name and than you can deposit it. The reason they do this is so that the car gets fixed and you just dont pocket the money and let the car stay wrecked. That way, in the event the lien holder had to repo it, they could get something out of it....not just a wrecked piece of junk that you still owe $$$$ on.
Old 07-16-2002, 04:08 PM

Originally posted by Maximus1000
When my car was wrecked, the insurance company made out the check to myself AND the lien holder (credit union). All you have to do is have the lien holder endorse it under your name and than you can deposit it. The reason they do this is so that the car gets fixed and you just dont pocket the money and let the car stay wrecked. That way, in the event the lien holder had to repo it, they could get something out of it....not just a wrecked piece of junk that you still owe $$$$ on.
I am half-way with your you. Your car was wrecked (totalled?) but mine was just vandalized. Yeah, an adjuster said the lienholder (Nissan Motor Acceptance) would have to endorse the check, but then I would have to endorse it too in order to cash it. How would I go about that, NMAC doesnt have a branch office in Baltimore, MD. And what would they get by signing my check besides just knowing I am getting paid by insurance company? I can still cash the check and not fix the car. Lienholder will not require me to show my car for inspection.
Old 07-16-2002, 04:47 PM

the reason why they do this, is to verify that the car IS repaired. Since the leinholder(bank, cu, etc) still technically owns the title, and if you default on the loan, the bank has to protect their asset. When you default, the bank has to resell your car. A car that is damaged will not sell for much. They must recover their initial cost of loaning you the money.

when i had my claim with progressive, they issued a check in my name and my bank (citybank, not the national chain). When the car was repaired, i took it to the local branch of the bank, they inspected and signed for it, and i cashed the check.
Old 07-16-2002, 05:08 PM
ActiveTuning Partner

I signed mine and dropped it in the night deposit. Was in my account the next day.
Old 07-16-2002, 05:46 PM

Originally posted by genix
when i had my claim with progressive, they issued a check in my name and my bank (citybank, not the national chain). When the car was repaired, i took it to the local branch of the bank, they inspected and signed for it, and i cashed the check.
ok I am perfectly aware that the lienholder has to protect their investment, and insurance company wants to prevent the false claims. But how am I going to have my leinholder to sign before I make repairs? I have an estimate for $4,300../ there's no way I can come up with so much cash up front.
Old 07-16-2002, 05:51 PM

you dont...

standard operating procedure is to pay after the repairs are done.. there should be no out of pocket expense.

you bring the car to whatever shop you decide. You leave the car, and they do the repairs. They finish the repairs. The bank inspects the repairs. They sign, you sign. You give the money to the repair shop

a repair shop should/will not ask you for money up front. if they do, choose another shop

ok I am perfectly aware that the lienholder has to protect their investment, and insurance company wants to prevent the false claims. But how am I going to have my leinholder to sign before I make repairs? I have an estimate for $4,300../ there's no way I can come up with so much cash up front.
Old 07-16-2002, 06:23 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

When I had my accident, I also got a check made to me but shortly therafter I got a form in the mail that my Body shop had to sign. Otherwise the insurance company was going to instantly devalue the call by that amount.

Jeff
Old 07-16-2002, 08:24 PM

Originally posted by ellinj
When I had my accident, I also got a check made to me but shortly therafter I got a form in the mail that my Body shop had to sign. Otherwise the insurance company was going to instantly devalue the call by that amount.Jeff
sorry, devalue what? the car? Your car looses value regardless, and you should get add'l "diminished value" reimbursement.
Old 07-16-2002, 08:26 PM
ActiveTuning Partner

How to you get an insurance co. to reimburse you for diminished value after an accident?
Old 07-16-2002, 09:21 PM
The silent but deadly Moderator

this discussion is kinda moot

because almost every state has different laws about this.

In my state, for instance, anything permanently installed is insured. Aftermarket or not. Reciepts are important tho. You have to prove ownership.
Old 07-16-2002, 09:26 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

sorry, devalue what? the car? Your car looses value regardless, and you should get add'l "diminished value" reimbursement.
Yes, they devalue the car. If I didn't fix it they wouldn't pay if I tried to claim that I got in another accident in the same spot.

As for dimished value, I've been told that its inadvisable to go after this when it is your own insurance company paying. Besides my car was a lease. It was repaired to the terms of the contract. Drove it for almost another 1 1/2 years. Lease company didn't say a peep.

Jeff
Old 07-17-2002, 11:10 AM

Originally posted by ellinj
As for dimished value, I've been told that its inadvisable to go after this when it is your own insurance company paying. Jeff
Why not, it won't affect anything more than the claim itself.

Tim-you're right. Every insurance company has their own rules, in every state. That's why I can't get anyone to give me a credible explanation.

As far as the things stolen from my car, the claim adjuster said they won't reimburse because I dont have homeowners insurance with them. He sounds like a nice guy, but every time I ask a question, he has too look it up someplace, he doesnt know ****. Or he's trying to save a few $$ for his company by refusing to pay for $300 worth of CDs and $150 radar detector. Someone gave me advise just to keep telling them what I need and do not take it any other way. If they send a check for a lower amount, send it back and demand more $$.
Old 07-17-2002, 11:13 AM

Tim-you're right. Every insurance company has their own rules, in every state. That's why I can't get anyone to give me a credible explanation.

As far as the things stolen from my car, the claim adjuster said they won't reimburse because I dont have homeowners insurance with them. He sounds like a nice guy, but every time I ask a question, he has too look it up someplace, he doesnt know ****. Or he's trying to save a few $$ for his company by refusing to pay for $300 worth of CDs and $150 radar detector. Someone gave me advise just to keep telling them what I need and do not take it any other way. If they send a check for a lower amount, send it back and demand more $$.
EXACTLY MY BOY! Call me when u c this u shmuck.
Old 07-17-2002, 03:06 PM

EXACTLY MY BOY! Call me when u c this u shmuck.
one love
Old 07-17-2002, 04:49 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

But How?

Originally posted by genix
you dont...

standard operating procedure is to pay after the repairs are done.. there should be no out of pocket expense.

you bring the car to whatever shop you decide. You leave the car, and they do the repairs. They finish the repairs. The bank inspects the repairs. They sign, you sign. You give the money to the repair shop

a repair shop should/will not ask you for money up front. if they do, choose another shop

How do you go about getting NMAC to endorse the check? Do you have to send it via mail and just wait for it to return?
Old 07-17-2002, 06:47 PM

Re: But How?

Originally posted by SupaFly
How do you go about getting NMAC to endorse the check? Do you have to send it via mail and just wait for it to return?
thats exactly what I'm trying to find out...I am going to call NMAC tomorrow...anybody got their number? One thing I least want is NMAc ask me for copies of all receipts
Old 07-17-2002, 07:20 PM

I just looked at my Geico Policy, and my old Progressive policy. Both of them say that they don't cover any "devices containing recorded information" a.k.a taps, CDs, and they won't cover theft of a radar detector. I guess pretty common practice.
Old 07-17-2002, 07:21 PM

Re: Re: But How?

thats exactly what I'm trying to find out...I am going to call NMAC tomorrow...anybody got their number? One thing I least want is NMAc ask me for copies of all receipts
Y2KMaxGXE-R ...

I have to find out tomorrow myself. I think the number is 800-777-7018. Do me a favor, if you find anything out, please post it. I'll do the same.
Old 07-18-2002, 06:16 AM

Re: Re: Re: But How?

Y2KMaxGXE-R ...

I have to find out tomorrow myself. I think the number is 800-777-7018. Do me a favor, if you find anything out, please post it. I'll do the same.
yoo-hoo

I called NMAC, they said they will need the check mailed to them for signature along with a copy of an estimate, and they dont need any proof after repairs were (or werent) made.
Old 07-18-2002, 06:17 AM

Re: Re: Re: But How?

Y2KMaxGXE-R ...

If you have home insurance, they will cover your lost possesions (taps, cd's, radar, ect...)
Old 07-18-2002, 06:27 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: But How?

yoo-hoo

I called NMAC, they said they will need the check mailed to them for signature along with a copy of an estimate, and they dont need any proof after repairs were (or werent) made.
Y2KMaxGXE-R...
Thanks a lot man. Did they happen to give you an address or contact person?
Old 07-18-2002, 09:32 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: But How?

Y2KMaxGXE-R...
Thanks a lot man. Did they happen to give you an address or contact person?
no they did not-I didnt ask them for it. This is their general policy. Once you get the check, just call on that number and ask about other info. Make sure you send that check by certified, registered, insured, etc!
Old 07-18-2002, 09:47 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: But How?

no they did not-I didnt ask them for it. This is their general policy. Once you get the check, just call on that number and ask about other info. Make sure you send that check by certified, registered, insured, etc!
I have an address. The person i talked to gave me the overnight address.
NMAC
7900 RIDGEPOINT DR.
Irving,TX 75063
ATTN: PHYSICAL DAMAGE

We have to send in the check overnight and include a self addressed prepaid overnight envelope, repair bill/estimate, lease#, and VIN for. I personally couldn't wait for it to come by regular mail. What a pain in the ****!!!
Old 07-18-2002, 10:57 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: But How?

I have an address. The person i talked to gave me the overnight address.
NMAC
7900 RIDGEPOINT DR.
Irving,TX 75063
ATTN: PHYSICAL DAMAGE

We have to send in the check overnight and include a self addressed prepaid overnight envelope, repair bill/estimate, lease#, and VIN for. I personally couldn't wait for it to come by regular mail. What a pain in the ****!!!
thanks a bunch!