5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

What is the best way to max my Max?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2002, 10:27 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

What is the best way to max my Max?

Okay first I love my 2k2 Maxima SE with 6-spd. I know because I drive about 500 miles a week, on a slow week. So I currently have 13,000+ miles on the car, 90% of which are highway miles. But I have done 0 modifications to the car and I looking for a little bit of advice. I apologize if someone else already posted a thread like this.

What I want to know is everyway possible you can modify the car to get more HP. I want to focus first on the modifications that won't ruin the warrenty and when I saved up enough money ones that will. Also how much is the cost, and what is the hit/benefit to gas mileage.

Some things I already know about, but not a lot about, are a racing air filter, mod chip, and turbo/super-charging. Where do you get mod chips for a 2002 Maxima? Which is better turbo or super charging, and is it worth it at all? What about bigger wheels, is there any benefit to doing that? Finally, how do you remove speed governors?

I really want my Maxima to make a Camero or Mustang beg for mercy. Thanks for your help.
Old 07-17-2002, 10:38 AM

Re: What is the best way to max my Max?

This is my own personal opinion, so take it as you will. I wouldn't do anything I couldn't reverse in an afternoon while I was still under warranty. Given the mileage you are racking up, that shouldn't be too terribly long.

That said, a different intake and some exhaust mods are probably the best bang for your buck. Keep in mind that this is all preching and no practice. I haven't modded my car yet, but I have been researching the subject. Hopefully the guys will chime in on this one. I think it's a good question. (A very searchable one, but a good one.

I know guys like y2kse and several others have a wealth of knowledge when it comes to this.

Originally posted by hi_i_am_wade
Okay first I love my 2k2 Maxima SE with 6-spd. I know because I drive about 500 miles a week, on a slow week. So I currently have 13,000+ miles on the car, 90% of which are highway miles. But I have done 0 modifications to the car and I looking for a little bit of advice. I apologize if someone else already posted a thread like this.

What I want to know is everyway possible you can modify the car to get more HP. I want to focus first on the modifications that won't ruin the warrenty and when I saved up enough money ones that will. Also how much is the cost, and what is the hit/benefit to gas mileage.

Some things I already know about, but not a lot about, are a racing air filter, mod chip, and turbo/super-charging. Where do you get mod chips for a 2002 Maxima? Which is better turbo or super charging, and is it worth it at all? What about bigger wheels, is there any benefit to doing that? Finally, how do you remove speed governors?

I really want my Maxima to make a Camero or Mustang beg for mercy. Thanks for your help.
Old 07-17-2002, 10:45 AM

most of the big mods for 2k2's are coming out soon, but for now you can only do simple bolt-ons, intake, exhaust, etc. warpspeed is producing a ypipe for the 2k2 which will be the best bolt on power adder and i believe a supercharger is on the the way as well...
Old 07-17-2002, 12:40 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: What is the best way to max my Max?

I'd start with a complete exhaust system and cold air intake from Cattman.com.

But, the only way you are going to accomplish the power you really want w/out doing a bunch huge, time consuming and costly upgrades (that can't be reversed in case of a warantee issue) is NITROUS.

You can spend $550 for a Zex kit w/ bottle warmer on Ebay, and get a 65 HP boost, without any other modifications. It will give you the power and torque you want; and it's just a lot of fun having the "go fast button".

If 65 extra HP is not enough, you can even easily move up to a 100 shot+, by merely adding a few hundred dollars in feul system upgrades. (Plus, at anytime you can effectively "hide" the Zex system in about 1/2 an hour, if needed.)

This option has worked quite well for my 2k1; and you will enjoy even more HP as you have a 2k2 and a 6sp.