5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Buzzzz

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2002, 12:49 PM

Buzzzz

Anybody else get a buzzz in the steering wheel just before you come to a stop? I've got a 00 SE Auto, loaded, and every time I come to a stop, the steering wheel vibrates for like 2 to 3 seconds just before I stop. And if I don't stop, just slow to like 3mph and coast, it'll sit and buzz until I stop. It'll start buzzing and I can then take my foot off the brake and it'll still buzz until I stop or hit the gas again and get over like 10mph. If I sit in bumper to bumper rush hour where you're inching along and not stopping but not going over 10mph sometimes it'll buzz for up to 7 seconds. Doesn't seem like rotor prob since it'll buzz when no foot on brake. Could it be motor mounts or something kicking on/off? It's a noticeable buzz/vibration in the steering wheel.

Thanks for any feedback. Car has 34.5K and besides a rattle in the rear deck and being a dog to 20mph I like the car. Will an intake help that 0 to 20mph take off and throttle response?
Old 07-17-2002, 02:43 PM

Buzzz plus vibration?? hmmm..sounds like your ABS is trying to engage. Take it to the dealer before your warranty expires!!!
Old 07-17-2002, 02:49 PM

Maybe I should've said Vibrates instead of buzz. There isn't really an audible buzz noise, it's just a vibration/buzz feeling in the steering wheel. Very noticeable and reproducable if you have your hands on the wheel when decelerating that last few mph.
Old 07-17-2002, 03:14 PM

I know you said you don't think its the rotors, but that might be the problem.
Old 07-17-2002, 03:16 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

try this....turn the car off and see if u hear any more buzzing sound.
Old 07-17-2002, 04:47 PM

Re: Buzzzz

Originally posted by MNMax
Anybody else get a buzzz in the steering wheel just before you come to a stop? I've got a 00 SE Auto, loaded, and every time I come to a stop, the steering wheel vibrates for like 2 to 3 seconds just before I stop. And if I don't stop, just slow to like 3mph and coast, it'll sit and buzz until I stop. It'll start buzzing and I can then take my foot off the brake and it'll still buzz until I stop or hit the gas again and get over like 10mph. If I sit in bumper to bumper rush hour where you're inching along and not stopping but not going over 10mph sometimes it'll buzz for up to 7 seconds. Doesn't seem like rotor prob since it'll buzz when no foot on brake. Could it be motor mounts or something kicking on/off? It's a noticeable buzz/vibration in the steering wheel.

Thanks for any feedback. Car has 34.5K and besides a rattle in the rear deck and being a dog to 20mph I like the car. Will an intake help that 0 to 20mph take off and throttle response?

Sounds more like idle problems to me.
Old 07-18-2002, 01:34 PM

Its your torque converter staying locked too long.
Old 07-18-2002, 01:45 PM

Originally posted by spaaz14
That sounds like a serious issue. Any way I can test to see if that's the case? Is it something I should just live with and hope for the best? I rarely drive in any kind of rush hour so it's not overly annoying, just definitely noticeable and I'm pretty finicky. I brought my SE to the dealer 7 times for rattles!! I don't think they'll help me out on this one, but maybe. How bout flushing the tranny, would that make any difference? I plan on doing that soon as I'm at 34K right now.

Lastly, nobody answered my 2nd question in the initial post. My SE auto seems lame from 0 to 20mph, would an intake help that considerably? Which one is best, and how much does it cost for parts, and what should I expect to pay in labor as I'm not mechanical and would need a shop to do it?

Thanks
Old 07-18-2002, 01:50 PM
jjs

Lastly, nobody answered my 2nd question in the initial post. My SE auto seems lame from 0 to 20mph, would an intake help that considerably? Which one is best, and how much does it cost for parts, and what should I expect to pay in labor as I'm not mechanical and would need a shop to do it?

Thanks
From what I have seen, it is either little or no help at the lower end...or worse, actually a loss of low end. Intakes work better with higher flowing air (i.e. faster moving vehicle) and with cooler air (again, a moving vehicle allowing hot underhood air to reduce).
Old 07-18-2002, 01:52 PM

Originally posted by spaaz14
I've heard that the vibrating is normal, but should only do it when first starting out in your car...like when you initially put it in reverse, or drive. Mine does it occasionally, but only the first time. After driving it for awhile, it doesn't do it any more. My 5-speed 97 Prelude did the same thing.

Take it in before your warranty expires!!

Tony
Old 07-18-2002, 01:55 PM

Re: ...

If an intake wouldn't help the low end torque, then what would? And I can't afford a Stillen SuperCharger so don't say that! The car moves good once you're going like 30mph and stomp on it, but from a dead stop it's kind of a dog up to like 20-25mph. I bet I'd lose the holeshot to a Grand Prix GT (no not GTP, GT). I'd get crushed by a GTP, and believe me when I say I hate saying that.

Sure wish I would've chose a 5-spd.
Old 07-18-2002, 02:03 PM
Very sound, Mike

If you get a CAI it might help. Otherwise, what filter are you using? Perhaps it's just dirty?

Or better yet, do you only experience this during the summer season?
Old 07-18-2002, 02:10 PM

Originally posted by soundmike
If you get a CAI it might help. Otherwise, what filter are you using? Perhaps it's just dirty?

Or better yet, do you only experience this during the summer season?
I put a K&N drop-in filter ($55) in and didn't notice ANY difference. I didn't dyno it or anything but I'd say it sure wasn't worth the money. I was hoping to "feel" at least a miniscule difference, but I don't believe I do.

My drive to work is 1.5 miles, could all those short trips have gummed something up? I do get on the freeway plenty, with 200 mile cabin trips almost monthly, and I punch it now and again, but maybe throttle body is carboned? I kinda think it's just the nature of the beast with this Auto, but not sure. Shouldn't this puppy FLY?
Old 07-18-2002, 02:17 PM
Very sound, Mike

I'm doubting it's the short trips. I used to do less than that in my previous job, i have an auto and just the stock airbox/filter. No problems whatsoever.

My 2nd guess would be that your ECU has learned of your short trip driving and has adjusted itself accordingly.
Old 07-18-2002, 02:19 PM

Originally posted by soundmike
I'm doubting it's the short trips. I used to do less than that in my previous job, i have an auto and just the stock airbox/filter. No problems whatsoever.

My 2nd guess would be that your ECU has learned of your short trip driving and has adjusted itself accordingly.

Just for sh$ts I've been thinking of disconnecting the battery cables for one night and re-connecting them the next morning. Would that "re-set" the ECU and maybe I'd notice a diff?
Old 07-18-2002, 05:05 PM

Re: Re: ...

If an intake wouldn't help the low end torque, then what would? And I can't afford a Stillen SuperCharger so don't say that! The car moves good once you're going like 30mph and stomp on it, but from a dead stop it's kind of a dog up to like 20-25mph. I bet I'd lose the holeshot to a Grand Prix GT (no not GTP, GT). I'd get crushed by a GTP, and believe me when I say I hate saying that.

Sure wish I would've chose a 5-spd.
Personally, I think this is normal for the 5th gen automatic. I've noticed the same exact thing with my car. I now have an Injen CAI. It helps a little, especially with throttle response, but lets face it...the auto Maxs aren't built for low-end, off-the-line torque. I can't answer your question, but I'd love to hear some other ideas.

I've heard a high performance torque convertor (Protorque) might help, but I don't know about you, but I don't want to do anything that drastic to my everyday commuter.

Tony
Old 07-19-2002, 08:46 AM

Re: Re: Re: ...

Originally posted by Tony Fernandes

Personally, I think this is normal for the 5th gen automatic. I've noticed the same exact thing with my car. I now have an Injen CAI. It helps a little, especially with throttle response, but lets face it...the auto Maxs aren't built for low-end, off-the-line torque. I can't answer your question, but I'd love to hear some other ideas.

I've heard a high performance torque convertor (Protorque) might help, but I don't know about you, but I don't want to do anything that drastic to my everyday commuter.

Tony

All good points. I figure I'll just deal with it and pass the car on to the better half at about 60K miles and get something else for myself. Maybe a Tundra to haul my dirt bikes, or else a 2005 Maxi with 340hp, AWD, and a 6-spd.

Thanks everybody for the replies.