5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

2k2 max is dead

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2002, 05:29 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

2k2 max is dead

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....hreadid=137460
Old 07-18-2002, 05:45 PM

Re: 2k2 max is dead

I don't get it The link is dead. Did you have an accident?
Old 07-18-2002, 05:46 PM

Re: Re: 2k2 max is dead

Originally posted by ford5litre

I don't get it The link is dead. Did you have an accident?
thread was deleted by mod
Old 07-18-2002, 06:09 PM
Very sound, Mike

So what happened? LMK if you want to get the point across
Old 07-18-2002, 06:14 PM

Dead how???
Old 07-18-2002, 06:39 PM

Originally posted by NYC2SD
Dead how???
problem started several days ago, i couldn't rev over 4500rpm, advised by other members on the board, I cleaned the MAF sensor. Engine light came on and i couldn't rev over 2500rpm. I turn my car off and turn it back on.....rpm went to 1000 and car just dies
Old 07-18-2002, 06:44 PM
Sanduguero

ughm!
Old 07-18-2002, 07:03 PM

Re: Re: Re: 2k2 max is dead

Originally posted by BioMaxDDS
thread was deleted by mod
Pure curiosity, why would a moderator delete a post??
Old 07-18-2002, 08:10 PM

problem started several days ago, i couldn't rev over 4500rpm, advised by other members on the board, I cleaned the MAF sensor. Engine light came on and i couldn't rev over 2500rpm. I turn my car off and turn it back on.....rpm went to 1000 and car just dies
how did u clean it? with cleaning liquid or just wipe it down? u made sure that everthing is dried before u put it back? and before u bring it back to the DEALER???? just make sure u have everything back to stock and make use ur MAF seemed untouched before dealer sees it.

sorry to hear about this and just make sure that fixing the MAF will take care the rev limited @ 4500 problem.
Old 07-18-2002, 08:13 PM
Mauja He Mauja

Originally posted by [maxi-overdose]

how did u clean it? with cleaning liquid or just wipe it down? u made sure that everthing is dried before u put it back? and before u bring it back to the DEALER???? just make sure u have everything back to stock and make use ur MAF seemed untouched before dealer sees it.

sorry to hear about this and just make sure that fixing the MAF will take care the rev limited @ 4500 problem.
y are they waiting to be installed? the springs??????? i would not be able to sleep if they were just sitting there. i would be pulling an over-nighter and would get them on....
Old 07-18-2002, 09:10 PM

Originally posted by dba1999us

y are they waiting to be installed? the springs??????? i would not be able to sleep if they were just sitting there. i would be pulling an over-nighter and would get them on....
hehehehe....I dun have the skill and dun have the tools for sure that I am driving my gf crazy by placing all the parts on the carpet and play around everyday.
Old 07-18-2002, 09:17 PM

Thats pretty much what happened to my car as well when my MAF when kaput. Accelerating in first after turning around on the highway, car starts to shake, rpms drop to 3K at full throttle, car dies. I could restart it and it would idle roughly for like three seconds and quit. If it is your MAF that has to be replaced, and the dealer doesn't cover it under warranty (I'm the luckiest man alive since the dealer covered mine), try just buying the $60.00 part and not the $500.00 part. There was a thread about this a couple of days ago. You may save yourself alot of money.
Old 07-18-2002, 11:17 PM

must be a nissan thing...i've read some posts on altimas.net about MAF failing too.
Jae
Old 07-19-2002, 04:59 AM

MAF's going out all over the place

Originally posted by ThurzNite
must be a nissan thing...i've read some posts on altimas.net about MAF failing too.
Jae
It's not just Nissan, I had to replace the MAF on my wife's Chevy Blazer yesterday, the thing was jerking while driving over 30 mph.
Old 07-19-2002, 05:02 AM
Mauja He Mauja

Originally posted by [maxi-overdose]

hehehehe....I dun have the skill and dun have the tools for sure that I am driving my gf crazy by placing all the parts on the carpet and play around everyday.
i did that when i lived in an apartment...stored my rims in the dinning room for a month,,,she was very ****ed ,,,sorry for PW
Old 07-19-2002, 05:50 AM

update

I disconnected my battery last night. This morning I was able to start my car and everything 'felt' fine until I shift to drive, the car would just jerk a lil bit & dies again....................
Old 07-19-2002, 06:29 AM

update

I disconnected my battery last night. This morning I was able to start my car and everything 'felt' fine until I shift to drive, the car would just jerk a lil bit & dies again....................
You haven't said if your intake is stock or not. Did you just install a HAI or CAI? You also didn't tell us what you used to clean it. I would only use something like 100% alcohol just on the filament. Also when you put it back in did you reconnect the wiring securely, maybe there is a bad connection. We've all done something stupid like that before. If all else fails buy a new $60 one and put it in, less of a headache than going to the dealer unless you were stock. If you are stock CALL the dealer and have them tow it in.
I can borrow my buddy’s scanner to reset the ECU.
Let us know your answers to these questions.
Old 07-19-2002, 06:43 AM

Originally posted by maximaman777

You haven't said if your intake is stock or not. Did you just install a HAI or CAI? You also didn't tell us what you used to clean it. I would only use something like 100% alcohol just on the filament. Also when you put it back in did you reconnect the wiring securely, maybe there is a bad connection. We've all done something stupid like that before. If all else fails buy a new $60 one and put it in, less of a headache than going to the dealer unless you were stock. If you are stock CALL the dealer and have them tow it in.
I can borrow my buddy’s scanner to reset the ECU.
Let us know your answers to these questions.
I have frankencar intake, and I used k&N air filter cleaner to clean MAF. Ya I already reconnected several times to make sure its connecting right. As far as the $60.00 one, do you have the part number? thanks
Old 07-19-2002, 06:47 AM

Originally posted by dba1999us

i did that when i lived in an apartment...stored my rims in the dinning room for a month,,,she was very ****ed ,,,sorry for PW
that's where I store my toys in our apartment...right next to the dining table and now she wants me to leave them in my car everyday!
Old 07-19-2002, 07:19 AM

I have frankencar intake, and I used k&N air filter cleaner to clean MAF. Ya I already reconnected several times to make it connecting right. As far as the $60.00 one, do you have the part number? thanks
I found it quickly by SEARCHING! http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....&highlight=maf That thread had a link to this post. https://maxima.org/forums/showthread...5&pagenumber=3

If you don't want to rent an 02 and swap the MAF's then call:
Courtesy Nissan
972-644-3972 -- parts department.
to buy a new one. Looks like the wait might be a week or two though.

You will still need to clear the code out of the ECU when your done to get rid of the SES light. Let me know if you want a hand with this.

If it wasn't bad before you shot K&N filter cleaner into it it is now.
Old 07-19-2002, 07:25 AM

Originally posted by maximaman777

I found it quickly by SEARCHING! http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....&highlight=maf That thread had a link to this post. https://maxima.org/forums/showthread...5&pagenumber=3

If you don't want to rent an 02 and swap the MAF's then call:
Courtesy Nissan
972-644-3972 -- parts department.
to buy a new one. Looks like the wait might be a week or two though.

You will still need to clear the code out of the ECU when your done to get rid of the SES light. Let me know if you want a hand with this.

If it wasn't bad before you shot K&N filter cleaner into it it is now.
thx for your help
if i rent a 2k2 and swap out the MAF, than that would make the rental one have the same problem as mine right now? cuz I'm just thinking how I'm going to bring it back to the rental place and explain it to them. As far as ordering from Courtesy, I heard there are several parts to MAF and that's the reason the price range for MAF is from $60-$700. So i'm not sure about ordering a new MAF yet, cuz i still have no idea which part of the MAF is broken.
by SES lights do you mean the engine light?
Old 07-19-2002, 08:09 AM

thx for your help
if i rent a 2k2 and swap out the MAF, than that would make the rental one have the same problem as mine right now? cuz I'm just thinking how I'm going to bring it back to the rental place and explain it to them. As far as ordering from Courtesy, I heard there are several parts to MAF and that's the reason the price range for MAF is from $60-$700. So i'm not sure about ordering a new MAF yet, cuz i still have no idea which part of the MAF is broken.
by SES lights do you mean the engine light?
If you rent an 02 you can atleast swap out the MAF's and see if that is for sure your problem. Then swap'em back drive the rental to a strip mall do the swap again then call the rental Co. and say the car just died.
If you don't want to do that we all understand.

As far as I know the MAF is a one piece unit but I do remember seeing a couple of screws on the plug for it. If the actuall sensor can be removed from the pipe you should be able to just order that part. Maybe someone else here has more info on that. But if you call Courtesy they should they should be able to answer any of your questions to make sure you order the right part.

SES=Service Engine Soon light.
Old 07-19-2002, 09:05 AM

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

dba1999us, That has to be one of the funniest pictures I have ever seen in your sig. I've just called about 10 coworkers over to look at it, and we are all laughing. Man, that's just great!