5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Open Track/Road Racing Maximas!

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2000, 06:24 PM

Welp...December 9th and December 10th, the Las Vegas Region with Sanctioning from SCCA and Bragg-Smith driving school help a High Performance Car Control Center (HPCCC). It's basically like a time-trial/open track event, with some public face that instruction is occuring. For $100, you get to participate for two days, each day having 3-20 minute sessions. The first session during Saturday, you had to have an instruction ride along for a few laps, then, the rest of the time, you were by yourself unless you wanted an instructor. Being my first time ever racing at speeds (aside from AutoXing) and racing with other cars on the track with me (there were two passing zones)...i had to have an instructor for a bit... that was Saturday and I drove my CRX all day (**** loads of fun!)

Sunday...since the event is a good 45mins fro my home, i decided to take the ol' daily driven maxima 5speed.
First session, i took it the first 10 mins learning the car, taking the turns at speed, but, not 100%. I have A LOT of fun with my maxima. I ended up forcing a very sick porsche into letting me pass (corner workers flagged slower cars/driver's to allow faster drivers/cars passed)...One kill for the 4 door maxima! A few minutes later, i catch up to my red convertible automatic c5 vette...and blaze past him in the passing zone again after he couldn't shake me in the turns (it was a perfect Maxima commercial i wish i had on video tape)...this guy tried to lose me the day before when i was in the CRX and couldn't do it either.

Things i learned with the maxima:
* Maximas understeer A LOT!!!! all i have done suspension wise is lowering Eibach springs (pro-kits are not the best performance springs).
* It's EXTREMELY confident at speed compared to my CRX. Turn in is good, there's no crazy over-steer from braking. Doesn't feel floaty.
* Vette's and pre-99 Mustang Cobras have a problem pulling away from the Maxima at 45mph+ =)
* The motor and tranny of the maxima are obviously a very potent unit, if they were stuck in a lighter, more suitable layout (RWD, 2600-2800lbs, much like a 240sx or similiar) it would kick some track ***!
* Brakes do NOT fade drastically on the maxima. With my 18s, it may have allowed much better cooling than stock rim/tire combo, but the brakes held VERY well after hard braking from 90mph-30mph. I have a lower pedal because of the event (duh)...but, the brakes still work fine!

That's it, if anyone has ever road raced their maxima with any kind of suspension set-up, i would love to hear how it handled.

Old 12-11-2000, 05:54 PM

I raced my 2k max. up at road america. Being a Skip Barber employee, we get many chances to get on track with our cars. The viper club was up there and I had a chance to play around. Eibach pro-kit, and some slicks did the job. 12 laps of full course Road America was not good for the car. Things I found good and bad about the car:

1. Brakes faded terribly after 4 laps (Road America is 4 miles).
2. Power Steering pump boiled over.
3. Engine never overheated.
4. Very competent suspension over all surfaces, despite having the beam axle
5. SCCA tuned Eagle Talons don't stand a chance.
6. Vipers don't brake as well as a maxima
7. If your going to road race, leave the engine alone.
8. Get some better brakes for this car, along with better brake lines.

With the slicks on the car, and streets on a viper, the max was faster. 335/40/18 streets VS. 225/50/16 slicks.
Old 12-11-2000, 06:25 PM

Wow, for a while, i thought i was the only person who ever tracked a 2K maxima. I didn't find the brakes fadin...i braked early, rather than doing the autoXing braking procedure: brake as late as possible and brake hard. The track we were running was 1.8miles long. fastest straight allowed me to touch 90mph or the top of third gear. I didn't notice the PS system being hindered by the event...of course, i didn't really physically check it either. Surprisingly, my friend's 300zx TT which would overheat occasionally didn't rise above half temp...which meant either the car wasn't being pushed hard enough, the track wasn't that difficult, or it was pretty cold out. Eh, a lot of fun though!!
Old 12-12-2000, 07:36 AM

2k's on the track

I spent a day at Thunderhill (~3 miles, 13 turns) with my 2k 5 speed. Logged almost 100 miles on the track. My brakes needed a lot of help after that day, otherwise, the car was surprisingly agile around the track (with only a FSTB and Eibach springs with 235/45/17 SP8k's for help). I was able to pass some rather surprised guys in a Supra Turbo and an NSK.

By the way, I went with a buddy who took his Viper and was one of the fastest cars on the track. To the guy above who said his 2k on slicks was faster than the Viper on street tires, it's only because the guy driving the Viper must have been incompetent. A stock Viper on street tires with a good driver is an extremely fast car around the track and will leave the vast majority of other cars in the dust, especially a Max (despite the Viper's horrendously undersized brakes and lack of ABS). Sorry.
Old 12-12-2000, 01:07 PM

Autocrossing the Maxima

Hey I haven't taken my Maxima to a race yet, but I noticed that my 2000 Maxima SE happens to be G-Stock, which puts me in with the Integras and Preludes. Straight line, yes I know I can beat them, but do I have a prayer in the corners??? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!!!
Old 12-12-2000, 02:28 PM

Driver skill.

if a guy in a CRX can whoop on a vette and a porsche on a road course during a road race... a guy in a maxima can whoop on a few guys in integras and preludes. Just learn the dynamics of the car's handling characteristics and you shall succeed.