5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Any 5spd/6spd owners in DC area?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2002, 05:33 AM

Any 5spd/6spd owners in DC area?

I have a 2k2 6spd and considering a job in DC. I have never driven in the area, but I can imagine that working the clutch in traffic everyday will not be much fun. But, I have never spent more than a couple of days in a major metro area where I had to deal with heavy traffic so I can't say for sure. When I was there it didn't bother me, but like I said it was just a few days.

It seems like everyone from the area on this board drives an auto, but I don't pay attention very well. For anyone that lives in the DC area and drives a manual, any regrets or do you not even notice it?
Old 07-25-2002, 06:09 AM
Banned

Northern VA

i have a 5spd in and around nothern va. the beltway and 66 are pretty bad most of the time (stop and go), but if you can avoid those, it's manageable. there's lots of lights, but in between traffic seems to move - the worst spots are the highways, where you will inevitably come to a complete stop and creep along every day.

actually in downtown DC, traffic is nuts, traffic lights are on the sides of the road, many streets are one way, no right on red, don't think you can u-turn (because of law or congestion), and there's nowhere to park (ie, metro is pretty good).

i'm fortunate now to work about 7-8 miles from home, and have a few different routes i can take (one all back roads with a hairpin turn, and sharp s uphill ).
Old 07-25-2002, 06:30 AM

Rockville MD

Worst traffic you will ever see from very direction. I go to school outside of Chicago and DC is worse. But as Dave said there are back ways, just have to learn them. I comute from MD to VA everyday and it takes about 30-40 minutes using the back way, where as if I took 270S the entire way it would be AT LEAST 1 hour to work.
-jc
Old 07-25-2002, 08:19 AM

I commute in DC twice a week and stop and go traffic can get a little annoying (I avoid 66 as much as possible unless I am carpooling) overall I would rather own a 5spd then an auto.
Old 07-25-2002, 09:11 AM

Everyone here speaks the truth of this area. Traffic severely blows on the highways. Everyday I drive on 495, 270, and 66. Ridiculous traffic. Learn the backroads, and your driving will be more rewarding.

Don't drive into DC. Metro is the cheapest and most efficeint manner of getting downtown. The cost of parking in DC alone is enough to deter people into taking the Metro. Plus, the metro rocks. You can read/sleep on the train.
Old 07-25-2002, 09:19 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Yes, use metro for anything in the city.

Driving around here sucks. I drive on the beltway every day. It can be a real pain in the ****. The key is finding a place/job that are very close together. If not, your life will suck. Anything over 20 miles one way is just harsh. The miles add up real fast too.

I have bought 5 cars in this area, and 3 were stick. I have a 6spd now. I still prefer the drivers touch over sleeping at the wheel.

Let us know when you get here or if you need ideas for a place, we can help.

R
dblrr900@yahoo.com
AOLIM: Dblrr900
Old 07-25-2002, 10:18 AM

Thanks

Thanks for the insight. I guess I will keep the Max. A friend of mine works at a Honda dealer and tried to talk me into trading for an Accord auto - I would rather die, but I admit it: I was weak and tempted for a few seconds. I told him to go to hell. I'm not a Honda-hater or anything, I just love to drive, and therefore I love my Max.
Old 07-25-2002, 10:25 AM

victory!!!!
Old 07-25-2002, 12:51 PM

I lived in Northern VA for about 3 years, and recently moved to Omaha, Nebraska. I worked all over NOVA (you'll learn that is what they like to call Northern VA ), and the DC Metro area.

There really is no good way to avoid the traffic. 495 (the beltway) is always packed at 270, 66, and the 95 split in Annandale. Stop and go traffic is an understatement. You could literally open up a coffee stand in the middle of the beltway at 66 and make a fortune because nobody moves.

Also, the cost of living is sky high until you move outside of 20 miles around DC. Be prepared to be shocked when you look at places and the townhomes are selling for 350,000 and others are renting for around 3,000 a month.

Ok enough ranting about the wonders of the DC Metro area...throughout my time there I drove two vehicles: my 2k SE 5spd and the rentals my company provided me. Unquestionably, my max was far more enjoyable to drive. Then again, I hate all auto-tragic transmissions.
Old 07-25-2002, 04:54 PM
swallac2

Where in the area are you going to work and or move to? In the city, Va, or Md.

Old 07-26-2002, 10:34 AM

I will be working in Mclean. I have not decided whether I can afford to live nearby or not. Any suggestions?
Old 07-26-2002, 01:00 PM

Originally posted by NissanisGood
I will be working in Mclean. I have not decided whether I can afford to live nearby or not. Any suggestions?

Well you can live in McLean if you want but the price tends to be high there like really high. Vienna, Oakton, FairOaks, Centerville, and Chantilly are out to the West, in that order.

Springfield is OK, Franconia area. They are right close to each other, and the commute is not "too" bad. I used to go from Springfield to Tysons (McLean) in about 20 - 30 minutes with traffic (back roads). The highway can be a nightmare right around 66, but not too bad really, it only really takes a few minutes to get through there. After work driving from McLean to Springfield only takes about 20 minutes.

As far as renting:

2 Br Appt in most areas will run @1100 +/-
3 Br TH outside the beltway will run about 1400-1600/mo. (best bet)
Houses... well that is just a leap, unless you got cash.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-26-2002, 05:44 PM
Dyno plot says I have the most area under the Administrator curve

5spd checking in from NOVA/I-270MD.

I commute from Falls Church, VA to Germantown, MD and back everyday. Fortunately, I'm usually going in the opposite direction of most traffic on I-270 so that's never bad, but the Beltway can get pretty congested. I also drive up to Laurel, MD once or twice per week for MSEE classes and the Beltway is ALWAYS stacked up on the way there. Stop and go for 20 miles.

To be honest, having a 5spd really doesn't bother me one bit. I like the extra control and it allows you to dart in and out of traffic much easier because don't have to wait for the tranny to downshift - you're already in 1st or 2nd gear. Stop and go can get nasty, but there are ways to minimize your clutch work. If traffic is yo-yo'ing between 0 and 10 mph (stop and go) you can usually just build up a little buffer between you and the person in front of you and just slap it in 1st or 2nd and let it IDLE. You'll relax while the nice VQ torque pulls you even up hills at idle all while the person in front of you is tailing the person in front of them and getting on and off the brakes every half second. No wonder people's brakes warp so much around here.

The biggest problem around here is that people are retarded and don't know how to drive. I don't know where you're from, but I'm from Pennsylvania. People drive much better there. It took me about a year to get used to the moronic driving practices around here, but now whenever I see the opportunity to stupidity to occur I just expect it to happen and get ready for it. And if you can't drive defensively, you need to learn how!

Originally posted by NissanisGood
Yeah rent is pretty bad around this whole area. I'm in Falls Church right now and paying $1075/mo for a 2BD/1BA. It's pretty nice and the neighborhood is "respectible" too. I used to live up in Germantown, MD and rent was a good bit cheaper there. I paid $860/mo for another 2BD/1BA, but it was smaller.

You might even be interested in where I live. PM/IM me if you want.
Old 07-26-2002, 08:33 PM

5speeeeeeeeeeeeeed

Hello,

I am a young working professional; I have been out of college now for a little over a year. I work in Rockville, MD (about 15 miles north of McClean) and I commute from Tysons, VA. Traffic in the DC AREA does suck; it has been rated the 3rd worst in the country with people spending an average of 80 hours a year in traffic. My 17 mile commute is a breeze in the morning and in the afternoon it usually takes me 35 minutes. Certain roads are VERY congested all of the time; this is something that you'll want to look into when deciding where to live. As far as driving a manual in traffic, what can I say? Hmmm, I spent one summer commuting from Manassas to Rockville (40+ miles each way); yes, it sucked and it was in an automatic GMC Jimmy. I made that drive for about 4 months in my Maxima, too
I wouldn't really say one is better than the other; it wasn't like I enjoyed sitting in traffic in my automatic. Honestly, there are times when I wish I had an automatic, but more often I am glad to have my 5 speed I think one of the most important things to consider is if you feel comfortable in your car. Even though I'll be sitting in traffic, I still look forward to the little bit of open highway time I get to spend flying through the gears.

I agree with others about driving distance (keep it under 20 miles each way) and the cost of living; did you know that 5 of the richest counties in the US are in the DC area ???

Basically, if you like driving your manual, keep it. Traffic is traffic whether your driving an automatic or manual

good luck to ye!!