5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.
View Poll Results: Do you have an intake?
Yes
33.33%
No
66.67%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Who here does NOT have an intake?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2002, 05:39 PM

gomen nasai!
no tengo un "intake" para mi coche!
!que lastima!
Old 07-26-2002, 06:56 PM

Re: No intake here...

Originally posted by jjs
'cuz:
1. don't want to deal with potential MAF issues...
2. don't think the so-called performance gains are worth it...
3. don't think a car like the Max should have a loud sound of any kind...
Ditto! 2k GXE 5spd. I would also add that if something gets fu**ed while on wtty the Nissan will have another excuse.
Old 07-26-2002, 07:00 PM
Maxima06071

Originally posted by Gr8bone
Do I have an intake: YES
Is it sitting in the garage because everytime I put it on I blow a MAF a couple weeks later: YES

The first time it happened to me I said OK its just a bad MAF.
I had to put my stock back on to get it warrantied. I kept the stock on for a couple months then decided to put the intake back on cuz I think the growl and 1-2 hp it gives at high RPM's so I do that and then the sensor blows again...it's staying off for good now.

Interested in letting it go?

Old 07-26-2002, 08:56 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

No intake...for now

Talk to me in a few weeks.
Injen will be under the hood of my 2K2.
Can't let trubu2k2 take all the NC thunder ( SR2ODEN das already NOS'd us off- hehe)
Gonna be real careful of the MAF and we'll see.

Lookin forward to the growl of the 4K RPM.

Shaydz
Old 07-26-2002, 09:00 PM

Originally posted by asu174

And your uncle is high if he claims that an intake can't help your engine. The more air, the better your car performs.
Watch your mouth d00d...
Old 07-26-2002, 10:16 PM
Clay Aiken has fancy genitals

Originally posted by krazyd

Watch your mouth d00d...
Seriously- how can he say that an intake does nothing good for an engine? Check the dynos d00d........
Old 07-26-2002, 11:31 PM

No intake here either. Bought the 02 GLE in February, only mod is the FSTB.
Old 07-27-2002, 05:30 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

The reasons people will not purchase an aftermarket intake for the Maxima are summed up nicely by jjs. Let's look at each of his objections once again and see if we can discover their underlying causes.

1. don't want to deal with potential MAF issues...

i.e., you're afraid.

2. don't think the so-called performance gains are worth it...

i.e., you're uninformed.

3. don't think a car like the Max should have a loud sound of any kind...

i.e., you like Camrys.

For those who are willing to assume some risk (albeit small), inform themselves, and accept an increase in noise for an increase in power, I'd recommend that you install an aftermarket intake and enjoy the ride!
Old 07-27-2002, 06:11 AM

Guys, you're short-changing yourself if you don't have an intake of some kind. At the very least you can do an OSCAI.

However, if you are genuinely happy with your car's performance, then great, don't mess with it.

But don't keep from getting an intake because of fear of potential issues. Every single concern mentioned in this thread, AND how to effectively address it, has been discussed multiple times before.
Old 07-27-2002, 06:59 AM

2k se, 33k mi, not me, not likely. I'm not willing to sacrifice 30mpg highway with stock ram for a couple of peak hp and more noise.
Old 07-27-2002, 07:09 AM

Originally posted by wdave
2k se, 33k mi, not me, not likely. I'm not willing to sacrifice 30mpg highway with stock ram for a couple of peak hp and more noise.
Stock Ram !
IMO, Sucking air through a straw is more like it.

I've got 6K on my 2K2, very conservative on modifying anything on my car - BUT, I will be getting an different intake - the car gets more needed air and the MPG can actually go up (depends on how much you like the sound- LOL). There has been so much discussion on this.

That's my .02 - If you don't want it on your car - that's cool.
THe stock ram thing just cracked me up.

Shaydz
Old 07-27-2002, 07:17 AM

none here ,just a drop in amsoil
Old 07-27-2002, 08:04 AM

For those of you who say that the stock airbox/inlet is efficient, go open the hood of your car and please tell me how in the world air gets to your air filter. I would go as far as to say it's like sucking air through a BENT straw.

I am still astonished at the overengineering of the air inlet. Nissan was obviously more concerned with having a super quiet engine than one that can perform to its potential.
Old 07-27-2002, 08:39 AM

As far as results for 2k-2k1's I don't think it is that beneficial. Now on a 2K2 it is a different story. 2k2_6spd has an intake on his car and he ran almost 97mph in 110 degrees with just his intake (and he has a powertech muffler).

To support my claim: I have a K&N drop in with the OSCAI (I know its ugly) and I am running the same if not a little better MPH than ICEY2K1 who has the STILLEN hi-flow intake, and we have the same car down to the tranny. The reason I chose this set up is for 1. the cost 2. the sound. If you want a little more air without the noise get a drop in. Hey worst case is you will never have to buy an air filter again..
Old 07-27-2002, 08:47 AM

Originally posted by Shaydz

I've got 6K on my 2K2, very conservative on modifying anything on my car - BUT, I will be getting an different intake - the car gets more needed air and the MPG can actually go up (depends on how much you like the sound- LOL). There has been so much discussion on this.

Shaydz
I don't think the MPG goes up dude. More air into the cylider = more fuel to be added by the CPU which = less MPG. A CAI is not a turbo or a supercharger...no air is being forced into the engine. The CPU will read the amount of incoming air and adjust the fuel to match. PLUS with that added HP you're more likely to stomp on it...which we all know also decreases your MPG.
Old 07-27-2002, 09:30 AM

This is how the FrankenCar has been a part of my life:

Installed at ~10,000 kms on my 2k2 6spd;
blew MAF and removed FC at ~19,000 kms;
MAF replaced under warranty;
reinstalled FC at ~22,000 kms

Currently have 31,000 kms on the car and am still running the FC. The power gains are worth it, the elimination of the 'bog' at around 2800-3000 rpm is worth it, the sound is tolerable. As far as mileage goes, I've kept track of each and every tank of fuel in my car in a spreadsheet and there is no way anyone can look at it and notice when the intake was on and when it was off the car. Highway MPG ([EDIT]Imp[/EDIT] gallon) has been around 28-32. Mixed driving seems to be about 25 MPG.

I think it's worth it, but at the same time, I'm waiting to see if my MAF dies again.

Albert
Old 07-27-2002, 10:02 AM

Originally posted by DrVolkl

I don't think the MPG goes up dude. More air into the cylider = more fuel to be added by the CPU which = less MPG. A CAI is not a turbo or a supercharger...no air is being forced into the engine. The CPU will read the amount of incoming air and adjust the fuel to match. PLUS with that added HP you're more likely to stomp on it...which we all know also decreases your MPG.

SHHHHHHHHH!
It's an argument I use with the wife to justify the intake.... new car, etc.
Just go with it. I KNOW I'll be getting on it more.
I read in a post on here someone who's MPG increased after taking out the stock box and putting some kinda intake on it and been milking that one. Hehehe

Shaydz
Old 07-27-2002, 10:44 AM

Originally posted by Shaydz

Stock Ram !
IMO, Sucking air through a straw is more like it.

That's my .02 - If you don't want it on your car - that's cool.
THe stock ram thing just cracked me up.

Shaydz
Granted, an aftermarket intake will add hp at wot where the stock intake is restrictive, BUT... at any cruise under top speed you are using a relatively small throttle opening and the ram and cool air intake of the stock system will give better mpg.
Old 07-27-2002, 11:48 AM

Originally posted by wdave

at any cruise under top speed you are using a relatively small throttle opening and the ram and cool air intake of the stock system will give better mpg.
That's why I like the OSCAI w/K&N. You don't lose low end (if anything you gain here!), you gain top end, better throttle response, and there is no increase in noise. I've made a couple of tweaks on mine since I took the picture and have been very happy with it.
Old 07-27-2002, 04:42 PM
Maxima Pilot

Dont have one, dont want one...

Old 07-27-2002, 05:59 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Dont have one, dont want one...

don't get one!
Old 07-28-2002, 08:24 AM

I think the MAF issue and the lack of a true understanding of why the MAF fails is the reason why I havent installed my Stillen intake yet. Is it over oiling the filter? Is it improper installation? Is it increased vibration to the MAF after the CAI/HAI is installed? I have yet to find a clear answer and I really dont think there is one. I would love to install my intake because I had one on each of my last 3 cars and they are a great performance enchancement. Especially with a aftermarket exhaust.

I am just going to leave the Stillen in my closet until there is a "known" reason why the MAF loves to fail once the intake is installed. I guess if a replacement MAF wasnt so expensive I would just put it on and go with it but a 500.00 repair wouldnt be cool right now. Im about 10K miles out of warranty.
Old 07-28-2002, 09:10 AM

I agree with MaxDriven. Those things are junk. Until NISMO makes one available, im stayin the hell away from it. My MAF blew TWICE, once when i had the intake, and once weeks after i put the stock one back and had the MAF replaced. Its been behaving itself now, so Im not gonna **** with it. Just keep the stock box in.... thats what the pro's race with anyway.
Old 07-28-2002, 10:40 AM

Originally posted by JSpecMax
I agree with MaxDriven. Those things are junk. Until NISMO makes one available, im stayin the hell away from it. My MAF blew TWICE, once when i had the intake, and once weeks after i put the stock one back and had the MAF replaced. Its been behaving itself now, so Im not gonna **** with it. Just keep the stock box in.... thats what the pro's race with anyway.
I dont know how much it has to do with the manufacturer, although the Frankencar intake has had the most MAF failures but they are also the most used, but I think the issue lies more in the installation or the mis-installation of the intake. You had two MAF failures, JSpecMax, and with one of the the failures happening with the stock air box in place I have to think that your install technique may be more of the reason why your MAF failed. I have been told to handle the MAF very delicately when installing intake. If you did not, there may lie the reason why your MAF failed.
Old 07-28-2002, 11:06 AM

Originally posted by maximadriven

I dont know how much it has to do with the manufacturer, although the Frankencar intake has had the most MAF failures but they are also the most used, but I think the issue lies more in the installation or the mis-installation of the intake. You had two MAF failures, JSpecMax, and with one of the the failures happening with the stock air box in place I have to think that your install technique may be more of the reason why your MAF failed. I have been told to handle the MAF very delicately when installing intake. If you did not, there may lie the reason why your MAF failed.

Thats whats weird - I installed the tenzo-r intake with no problems or incidents whatsoever. The trouble happened roughly 6 months after install. I then put the stock box back in to avoid trouble from the dealer. They then put in a new MAF sensor, and the car was fine for about 2 weeks. Then, just as out of the blue as the first malfunction, the MAF sensor went again. The second failure followed the Infiniti factory install. Id hope they know how to install a MAF sensor correctly.
Old 07-28-2002, 11:36 AM

Not yet. This economy is taking all excess mod money away.
Old 07-28-2002, 02:03 PM

Re: Who here does NOT have an intake?

Originally posted by cobymoby
Does everyone on the board have an intake already?

No... box stock... those intakes suck in hot air..less power.
Old 07-28-2002, 02:07 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

Re: Re: Who here does NOT have an intake?

Originally posted by ford5litre

No... box stock... those intakes suck in hot air..less power.
As a former 5 liter guy myself, I would expect a more enlightened opinion from you. Use the search feature, and check the Dyno numbers... before you spew out a comment like that.
Old 07-28-2002, 02:11 PM

No Intake as of yet....too afraid of warranty issues and those MAF sensors...lol
Old 07-28-2002, 03:01 PM

Re: Re: Re: Who here does NOT have an intake?

Originally posted by kloogy

As a former 5 liter guy myself, I would expect a more enlightened opinion from you. Use the search feature, and check the Dyno numbers... before you spew out a comment like that.
My bad.... I guess that was a Maxima-Uniformed comment. I know that on Mustang... the K&N type filter charger kits suck in turbulent, hot, engine compartment air that is churned up by the cooling fan....

On the other hand...I didn't stop to think about the intake in the sense of upper and lower intakes (as in Holley, Trickflow, Cobra, etc..). I was thinking about the add on parts that get installed before the MAF meter.

Question: What kinds of wheel HP do these intakes get a 2002 maxima?
Old 07-28-2002, 05:14 PM

Originally posted by maximadriven
I guess if a replacement MAF wasnt so expensive I would just put it on and go with it but a 500.00 repair wouldnt be cool right now.
it's a $62.50 fix. The sensor is all u need. $500 fix includes the whole pipe assembly(not needed), Labor, and reseting the ECU(which according to another member, is not needed. The ECU adapts itself to the new sensor automatically). Do a search on MAF and you should find that a member who had a bad MAF replaced the sensor and he's back on the road again with no SES light. MAF - Part number:22680-AD210, Discription: Meter Assy. www.courtesynissan.com

charlie
Old 07-28-2002, 05:35 PM

Originally posted by JSpecMax
Just keep the stock box in.... thats what the pro's race with anyway.
What pros?
Old 07-28-2002, 05:55 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

I never upgraded my intake on my 89 Mustang, and was able to squueze some nice 12's out of it. I think the reason it's such a big issue on the Maxxes , is that its one of the few mods available, in particular for 2K2's...!

If we had a large choice of aftermarket upgrades, Cams, ECU's, Intake Manifolds, Throttle bodies, Heads.. ETC, then no one would be arguing about a 2-5 hp difference.
Old 07-28-2002, 06:26 PM

Originally posted by kloogy
I never upgraded my intake on my 89 Mustang, and was able to squueze some nice 12's out of it. I think the reason it's such a big issue on the Maxxes , is that its one of the few mods available, in particular for 2K2's...!

If we had a large choice of aftermarket upgrades, Cams, ECU's, Intake Manifolds, Throttle bodies, Heads.. ETC, then no one would be arguing about a 2-5 hp difference.
12's are dang respectable! What mods did you have? I'll bet it was a notch back.

Any near-stock Maximas in the 12's?
Old 07-28-2002, 06:59 PM

Originally posted by CharlieNewbieMax

it's a $62.50 fix. The sensor is all u need. $500 fix includes the whole pipe assembly(not needed), Labor, and reseting the ECU(which according to another member, is not needed. The ECU adapts itself to the new sensor automatically). Do a search on MAF and you should find that a member who had a bad MAF replaced the sensor and he's back on the road again with no SES light. MAF - Part number:22680-AD210, Discription: Meter Assy. www.courtesynissan.com

charlie
Thanks for the info charlie..I may buy one of these Meter Assy. and just leave it in glove box and wait for a failure...
Old 07-28-2002, 11:13 PM

ok i was talking to the dealership about a CAI they said they could do it for $400 on my 2k2 6spd. they said the reason it was so much is because they had to reprogram the computer. they also said they would cover it under warrenty. is that to much to pay or should i go ahead and do it?

Friends Don't Let Friends Drive Hondas
Old 07-28-2002, 11:23 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

Originally posted by ford5litre

12's are dang respectable! What mods did you have? I'll bet it was a notch back.

Any near-stock Maximas in the 12's?
Ha ha ! Your are a Stang guy . It was a Notchback 89 LX !
Old 07-28-2002, 11:25 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

Originally posted by jrflanman
ok i was talking to the dealership about a CAI they said they could do it for $400 on my 2k2 6spd. they said the reason it was so much is because they had to reprogram the computer. they also said they would cover it under warrenty. is that to much to pay or should i go ahead and do it?

I sense your dealer is trying to insert the male member into your posterior exit canal !
Old 07-29-2002, 05:49 AM

I don't and I wouldn't add one. Seen too many people post problems with MAF sensors after installing them.
Old 07-29-2002, 06:40 AM
jjs

Ah, there goes the streak of mostly agreeing with you...

Originally posted by y2kse
The reasons people will not purchase an aftermarket intake for the Maxima are summed up nicely by jjs. Let's look at each of his objections once again and see if we can discover their underlying causes.

i.e., you're afraid.
[/b]
i.e., you're uninformed.

[/b]
i.e., you like Camrys.

For those who are willing to assume some risk (albeit small), inform themselves, and accept an increase in noise for an increase in power, I'd recommend that you install an aftermarket intake and enjoy the ride! [/B]
on issues like tires, etc.

1. not afraid, just don't feel like wasting my time swapping crap in and out should something go wrong, nor do I feel like needlessly spending $$$ to replace parts, AND

2. nope, I have read and researched. I did not say there were NO performance gains, just that they are 'so called' since much of intake gain could easily be offset by ambient conditions and driver skill. I mean the average of .2 sec over a 1/4 mile (reaching the mid to high 90 mph zone) is hardly a real world daily driver gain to me

3. absolutely not! Some of us just like understated performance. For instance, I would really like a 540 but would hate a loud one.

You go ahead and enjoy the intake, to each his own...

Quick Reply: Who here does NOT have an intake?