5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Installed: RT Cat, Pacesetter STS, Exhuast Wrap, and more blue stuff

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2002, 09:50 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Installed: RT Cat, Pacesetter STS, Exhuast Wrap, and more blue stuff

I installed the STS and thought I might as well do the Cat at the same time since I had to take the old one off anyway. I also did a whole bunch more wire loom and SVH to help complete the whole blue engine bay look.

Greg's installation kit that he sells with the Cat is not quite right. He just sells you two crappy gaskets nothing like the OE Nissan ones and four bolts and four nuts and four crush washers. Unfortunately, the heads on the bolts and the nuts are too small in overall diamter and sink into the mounting holes on the Cat. You need to have eight larger outer diameter washers to properly tighten the bolts. I would recommend to anybody ordering from Greg to not buy the installation kit and just buy the bolts from a hardware store and the gaskets from a Nissan parts department. You'll be better off.

The installation of both were pretty straight forward. I also wrapped the y-pipe with DEI header wrap to quiet it down just a little.

I took a couple runs around the block and the car is noticeably more quiet, less buzzing, and I can hear the rich exhuast note much more clearly. I am very pleased. I will pass on more reports on performance gains felt with the cat coupled with my almost ECU adjusted UDP soon enough. I haven't put many miles on my car recently, so my ECU hasn't had much time.

I love the STS...that shifter is perfect now. I set the ball about 3/4 of the way up, so it is not as short as it could be, but noticeably better than stock. I need a new shift **** now, my AE one looks a bit goofy sitting low.

What's next?
Old 07-28-2002, 09:56 PM
Clay Aiken has fancy genitals

Re: Installed: RT Cat, Pacesetter STS, Exhuast Wrap, and more blue stuff

Originally posted by MichaelAE
I installed the STS and thought I might as well do the Cat at the same time since I had to take the old one off anyway. I also did a whole bunch more wire loom and SVH to help complete the whole blue engine bay look.

Greg's installation kit that he sells with the Cat is not quite right. He just sells you two crappy gaskets nothing like the OE Nissan ones and four bolts and four nuts and four crush washers. Unfortunately, the heads on the bolts and the nuts are too small in overall diamter and sink into the mounting holes on the Cat. You need to have eight larger outer diameter washers to properly tighten the bolts. I would recommend to anybody ordering from Greg to not buy the installation kit and just buy the bolts from a hardware store and the gaskets from a Nissan parts department. You'll be better off.

The installation of both were pretty straight forward. I also wrapped the y-pipe with DEI header wrap to quiet it down just a little.

I took a couple runs around the block and the car is noticeably more quiet, less buzzing, and I can hear the rich exhuast note much more clearly. I am very pleased. I will pass on more reports on performance gains felt with the cat coupled with my almost ECU adjusted UDP soon enough. I haven't put many miles on my car recently, so my ECU hasn't had much time.

I love the STS...that shifter is perfect now. I set the ball about 3/4 of the way up, so it is not as short as it could be, but noticeably better than stock. I need a new shift **** now, my AE one looks a bit goofy sitting low.

What's next?
I've been pondering the STS too... Installation was easy? How hard to punch out the cat?
Old 07-28-2002, 10:02 PM

Re: Re: Installed: RT Cat, Pacesetter STS, Exhuast Wrap, and more blue stuff

Originally posted by asu174
I've been pondering the STS too... Installation was easy? How hard to punch out the cat?
I didn't punch out the Cat, I installed the Random Technology Hi-flow Cat. That was cake since I had to remove the stock Cat to get the STS in.

The STS was pretty straight forward. Really not much to it. It took me longer to remove the heat shields and the Cat than to install the shifter itself. There is a bit of manuevering and some pushing and pulling, but nothing too complicated or requiring any heavy tools. No supertight bolts or hard to reach places.
Old 07-29-2002, 07:28 AM

Re: Installed: RT Cat, Pacesetter STS, Exhuast Wrap, and more blue stuff

I also wrapped the y-pipe with DEI header wrap to quiet it down just a little.
Did it make it quieter? I have purchased the same wrap as you, but I have not installed it.

Did you buy the 1" or 2"? Any wrapping tips?

Thanks
Old 07-29-2002, 09:07 AM

Re: Re: Installed: RT Cat, Pacesetter STS, Exhuast Wrap, and more blue stuff

Originally posted by MaxVQ
Did it make it quieter? I have purchased the same wrap as you, but I have not installed it.

Did you buy the 1" or 2"? Any wrapping tips?

Thanks
I bought the 1" and the 8" locking ties. I think the 14" locking ties might have given me some flexibility on wrapping since the 8" ties can't go around the flex section.

Since the flex changes in diameter, it is virtually impossible to wrap it smoothly keeping the 1/4" overlap going with the wrap. After several wraps and re-wraps, I finally gave in to the fact that it wouldn't look pretty and locked the sucker off. This, of course, only matters if you want to wrap the flex.

When they say it will smoke and smell funny at first, they ain't kidding. It is going to make you think your car is on fire. It is noticeably quieter for me. My test was cold engine starting. With my car next to the concrete wall in the garage, and the windows down, I always heard serious buzzing and vibration when the car started echoing off the wall. The first cold start immediately after installation almost 100% eliminated that buzzing. It seems to muffle the buzz just enough when driving. I haven't done any highway driving, but the neighborhood spin sounded great.

The job is really easy, just jack the car up and give it a shot. No need to remove the y-pipe to do it, although it would be a bit easier to reach around.
Old 07-29-2002, 09:15 AM

Is the shifter worth $68? Does it shift smoother? Sometimes I can feel a slight grind, etc...
Old 07-29-2002, 09:46 AM

Is the shifter worth $68? Does it shift smoother? Sometimes I can feel a slight grind, etc...
The shifter is not going to smooth out your shifts at all...that would require a new clutch. The shifter shortens the throw, and up front will make the shifts stiffer since the sucker is brand new...needs break-in. All you're doing with the $68 is moving the fulcrum of the shift rod so that it requires shorter distance to go from gear to gear. In this case, you get to adjust it too since the Pacesetter has an adjustable fulcrum.
Old 07-29-2002, 10:18 AM

The shifter is not going to smooth out your shifts at all...that would require a new clutch. The shifter shortens the throw, and up front will make the shifts stiffer since the sucker is brand new...needs break-in. All you're doing with the $68 is moving the fulcrum of the shift rod so that it requires shorter distance to go from gear to gear. In this case, you get to adjust it too since the Pacesetter has an adjustable fulcrum.
Gotcha. Do you think it was worth it?
Old 07-29-2002, 10:21 AM

Gotcha. Do you think it was worth it?
Yes. Lowers the shifter a bit and the throw decrease is excellent. I used to take a coffee break while shifting from 1st to 2nd gear. If you're not concerned with faster shifts, than it might not matter to you.
Old 07-31-2002, 08:18 AM

After a few days...

Maybe it is the combination of the RT Cat, the STS, and my ECU finally "learning" the UDP, but I love my Maxima! The car is unquestionably pulling harder off the line, I feel that power delivery has evened out a bit from top to bottom, the note of the exhaust is improved (combo of the exhaust wrap and Cat I imagine). The STS rocks...looking forward to my new Grant shift **** arriving today. I'm telling you, was out and about yesterday and was reminded of how much I love driving and how much better driving is when you're driving a Maxima with a whole bunch of modifications.

Whether it is one key item, or a combo of all the most recent changes, I am exceptionally happy with the state of the car today. I think flywheel upgrade and clutch will be next on the list. I'm thinking of trying the Vitek Stage II.

Rims are on the list, but since that is about the only car thing that anybody I know could potentially buy me for my birthday, since everybody knows what a wheel is , I am holding off for now and giving the little lady a chance.
Old 07-31-2002, 08:35 AM

How much were the belts for the UDP?
Old 07-31-2002, 08:49 AM

How much were the belts for the UDP?
I kept the original power steering belt...fit perfectly (everybody seems to have a different experience with this) and put a new Gates belt on the a/c et al for, I think, around $15. I don't really remember how much I paid for the belt.
Old 08-15-2002, 01:22 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Re: Installed: RT Cat, Pacesetter STS, Exhuast Wrap, and more blue stuff

I bought the 1" and the 8" locking ties. I think the 14" locking ties might have given me some flexibility on wrapping since the 8" ties can't go around the flex section.

Since the flex changes in diameter, it is virtually impossible to wrap it smoothly keeping the 1/4" overlap going with the wrap. After several wraps and re-wraps, I finally gave in to the fact that it wouldn't look pretty and locked the sucker off. This, of course, only matters if you want to wrap the flex.

When they say it will smoke and smell funny at first, they ain't kidding. It is going to make you think your car is on fire. It is noticeably quieter for me. My test was cold engine starting. With my car next to the concrete wall in the garage, and the windows down, I always heard serious buzzing and vibration when the car started echoing off the wall. The first cold start immediately after installation almost 100% eliminated that buzzing. It seems to muffle the buzz just enough when driving. I haven't done any highway driving, but the neighborhood spin sounded great.

The job is really easy, just jack the car up and give it a shot. No need to remove the y-pipe to do it, although it would be a bit easier to reach around.
I have a couple of questions. First, after half a month or so, how has the noise level on your ypipe been? I too have a cattman, and would love to quite it down.
My second question is a little off topic, but when you installed your pipe, did you notice and rubbing/clanking with the crossmember? I know other members here have, but since mine rubbed pretty bad, I am interested in how bad it was rubbing if that was the case.
Old 08-15-2002, 02:33 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Installed: RT Cat, Pacesetter STS, Exhuast Wrap, and more blue stuff

Originally posted by maxman00
I have a couple of questions. First, after half a month or so, how has the noise level on your ypipe been? I too have a cattman, and would love to quite it down.
My second question is a little off topic, but when you installed your pipe, did you notice and rubbing/clanking with the crossmember? I know other members here have, but since mine rubbed pretty bad, I am interested in how bad it was rubbing if that was the case.
The noise level continues to be just how I like it. You know when you are directly next to a curb...and your window is down...and you can hear all the crappy noise your exhaust is making echoing off the curb? Well, before the exahust wrap, I heard a lot of crappy noise that I do not hear any more. The entire exhaust note is very nice these days...no complaints. Combination of Injen intake and wrapped Cattman Y, plus RT Cat all makes for a good setup in my opinion.

As far as the crossmember...the bumping was pretty significant for me. Every time I came off the line and the engine shifted, I heard a loud "thud." Search on my name and a thread called something like "Y-Pipe Noise" or something. That thread explains exactly how many washers I used to drop the crossmember and make the sound go away.

Feel free to ask any other questions.
Old 01-13-2003, 10:57 PM

Hey there .. how much does the wrap cost & where can I get it?

I just added the Budget b-pipe w/o resonator to my Cattman Y & HKS muffler ... it is fricking raspy & loud ... so I have to try the wrap b4 I got back to the stock b-pipe.

Tkx!
Old 01-14-2003, 04:11 AM

MichaelAE, I thought you had a B&M STS?
Old 01-14-2003, 04:13 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by ohboiya
Hey there .. how much does the wrap cost & where can I get it?

I just added the Budget b-pipe w/o resonator to my Cattman Y & HKS muffler ... it is fricking raspy & loud ... so I have to try the wrap b4 I got back to the stock b-pipe.

Tkx!
you shoudl have got a bpipe w/resonator. The stock bpipe is too restrictive to put a back on. Believe it or no your combo with the stock muffler sounds pretty nice.
Old 01-14-2003, 05:16 AM

Originally posted by maxman00

you shoudl have got a bpipe w/resonator. The stock bpipe is too restrictive to put a back on. Believe it or no your combo with the stock muffler sounds pretty nice.
Well .. I do have to agree that I should have the b-pipe with a resonator.

Putting on my stock muffler is not an option as that is the only OEM piece I've sold on my car.

Damn .. I gotta find me some of this wrap!
Old 01-14-2003, 06:06 AM

I too have the Pacesetter STS and I love it. Requin6 helped me with the install. I set it at 3/4 like MichaelAE. It's a little stiffer, but I enjoy the short throws so much more than stock that I don't mind the stiffness.
Old 01-14-2003, 07:07 AM

Originally posted by fhaze_max
MichaelAE, I thought you had a B&M STS?
This is one of those "read the date on the first post" examples.

I do have the B&M...this is an old thread. After several months with the Pacesetter, I was disappointed with its lack of breaking in and continued notchy nature. I swapped with the B&M fairly recently and just put MT-90 in the tranny this past weekend. I am happier with the B&M than with the Pacesetter.

Thread About B&M Install
Old 01-14-2003, 07:19 AM

This is one of those "read the date on the first post" examples.

I do have the B&M...this is an old thread. After several months with the Pacesetter, I was disappointed with its lack of breaking in and continued notchy nature. I swapped with the B&M fairly recently and just put MT-90 in the tranny this past weekend. I am happier with the B&M than with the Pacesetter.

Thread About B&M Install

doH! 07-29-2002 12:50 AM Too funny. I have no excuse!

meme
Old 01-14-2003, 11:32 AM
IMBOUTTOBUSTSOMEGHOSTS

Originally posted by ohboiya

Well .. I do have to agree that I should have the b-pipe with a resonator.

Putting on my stock muffler is not an option as that is the only OEM piece I've sold on my car.

Damn .. I gotta find me some of this wrap!
i got mine from summit. i got the 1" wrap, like 50 feet i think for around 28 shipped. they have free shipping but hit you with a 7 or 8 dollar handling fee. no speed shops around me carried but you maybe luckier than i.