5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Update on C.F. Hoods

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2002, 07:59 PM

Update on C.F. Hoods

aiite a little while ago i posted about gettn carbon fiber hoods...the price is $550 and the manufacturer is bodykits inc,
www.BodyKits.org ....also, the guy's name is Samir Rai, i dunno if you guys heard of him, but supposedly he had the first JDM full conversion Integra ever put out...so hes supposed to be big in the industry...im gonna send him an email asking him about his carbon fiber hoods and once he responds, i'll let you guys know the full specs on it...i dont know how many of you are interested but please dont email him, let me deal w/ him, any questions that you want answered juss send me a PM....also, how many ppl would be interested at this price, i need 10 buyers...bodykits inc is located here in Walnut, CA so if you're not from around here thats gonna be 550 + s&h...lemme know if you're interested
atw
Old 07-29-2002, 10:38 PM

i'm interested....just need 2 weeks advance notice of payment...
Old 07-29-2002, 11:12 PM

ineed a cf hood asap my car just got in an accident..
Old 07-29-2002, 11:13 PM

well thats 2...8 more and the 5th gens have Carbon Fiber hoods
atw
Old 07-30-2002, 02:00 AM

Is $550 + S&H really worth the amount in weight reduction? What is the main reason you guys are getting/wanting this, looks or performance?
Old 07-30-2002, 02:28 AM
Future Camaro SS owner

Originally posted by 8702
Is $550 + S&H really worth the amount in weight reduction? What is the main reason you guys are getting/wanting this, looks or performance?
I am waiting for fiberimages CF hood. Why this will help this car was in a rollover and the hood is still in contact with very any scracthes.
Old 07-30-2002, 03:10 AM

Originally posted by myownnismo

I am waiting for fiberimages CF hood. Why this will help this car was in a rollover and the hood is still in contact with very any scracthes.
actually that's why a cf hood is bad, it don't crumble so in a frontal collision it might lodge into the cabin possibly decapitating the passengers.. but i haven't heard of it happen yet.. that's why auto manufactures designed the whole crumple zone thing asides from just absorbing shock from the impact
Old 07-30-2002, 03:17 AM

Originally posted by myownnismo

English?
Old 07-30-2002, 03:41 AM

Originally posted by mingo
actually that's why a cf hood is bad, it don't crumble so in a frontal collision it might lodge into the cabin possibly decapitating the passengers.. but i haven't heard of it happen yet.. that's why auto manufactures designed the whole crumple zone thing asides from just absorbing shock from the impact
Yeah, that's why every time this is brought up, I have to ask the question of how these hoods are engineered.

Do they have crumple zones? Do they need hood pins?

These questions have *never* been answered.
Old 07-30-2002, 05:41 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I'm definitely in.. Lemme know..
Old 07-30-2002, 07:48 AM

Originally posted by KaxMaxSEAE
Yeah, that's why every time this is brought up, I have to ask the question of how these hoods are engineered.

Do they have crumple zones? Do they need hood pins?

These questions have *never* been answered.
You asked my questions too.... I will not buy until I hear these answers. I want a CF hood to save the pain on my OEM, but I am not going to drive a guillotine.

Also... These guys do custom body kits. We need to get Zero to design one of his bad a$$ body kits and set this up. It says on their site only $645 per kit with 10 people buy in. And... the test car gets it for free. SET THAT DEAL UP! That will sell like hot-cakes.
Old 07-30-2002, 08:07 AM

Originally posted by dblrr900

Also... These guys do custom body kits. We need to get Zero to design one of his bad a$$ body kits and set this up. It says on their site only $645 per kit with 10 people buy in. And... the test car gets it for free. SET THAT DEAL UP! That will sell like hot-cakes.

If Zero designs it, I am definitely in.
Old 07-30-2002, 08:46 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by FERN

If Zero designs it, I am definitely in.
Yeah im in also if he does the design I don't know him but his work has always looked really baller nice and clean JDM look.
Old 07-30-2002, 11:38 AM

3 down, 7 to go
atw
Old 07-30-2002, 11:44 AM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

Originally posted by SVTTODAMAX

Yeah im in also if he does the design I don't know him but his work has always looked really baller nice and clean JDM look.
i already have a couple of kits photoshopped. my favorite has always been the r34. here's a pic for those wiht sigs disabled:

i'll post a gallery of the others as soon as i get a chance. where are these guys located, i wouldnt mind using my car for the prototype since in out for summer.

btw, let this be the last post in this thread regarding bodykits since the topic is CF hoods. let's not hijack this thread. start a new thread regarding bodykits.
Old 07-30-2002, 03:14 PM

Originally posted by dblrr900

You asked my questions too.... I will not buy until I hear these answers. I want a CF hood to save the pain on my OEM, but I am not going to drive a guillotine.

no these are not built with crumple zones are nething of that matter. the properties of carbon fiber and resin products as well as fiberglass if far from metal. it doesn't really flex all that much unless they use a flexible resin when htey made the hood which would also make it as flimsy as a noodle. so when u crash depending on how many layers of cf they laid to make the hood it'll either shatter (most likely) stay in tact while the rest of your car is jacked, lodge into the cabin decapitating who ever is sitting in the front, or fly out into space landing somewhere else or possibly hitting someone else.. either way it's a "cool" mod. and i'm down for it if it's going to be produced fast enough.. remeber there's no engineering envolved in making this hood.. how it works is that someone lays some fiberglass ontop of a stock hood making a negative mold, then once the mold is made they'll spray or apply a thin layer of non stick material on the mold an dthey'll lay the carbon fiber onto the mold, wait for it to dry, peel the mold back, and there u get your carbon fiber mold.. it's almost like playing with plado clay. i kno this becuase i work with fiberglass and it's basicaly the same.. (if using a mold)
Old 07-30-2002, 03:23 PM

Is the CF hood clearcoated? Will any rock chips show up if it hits the leading edge?

And...how shiny will the hood be?
Old 07-30-2002, 05:27 PM
I miss the .org!

I thought CF hoods, or any other CF body pieces would shatter in a hard impact.
Old 07-30-2002, 07:54 PM

either way it's a "cool" mod. and i'm down for it if it's going to be produced fast enough..
so does that make four? if so, come on guys, 6 more...i just emailed the guy, and as soon as he answers the questions you've asked, ill post it...
atw
Old 07-30-2002, 09:28 PM

Bottom line. What is the weight comparison vs. the stock hood?
Old 07-30-2002, 09:51 PM

Originally posted by NYC2SD
Bottom line. What is the weight comparison vs. the stock hood?
from what i hear, should take off approx 60lbs or maybe more...maybe im wrong, ill find out for sure
atw
Old 07-30-2002, 11:22 PM

Originally posted by MaxedOut2g

from what i hear, should take off approx 60lbs or maybe more...maybe im wrong, ill find out for sure
atw
i don't remember the hood being all that heavy but i could be wrong.. i think the hood is somewhere closer to 30lbs. i want the hood as long as i can get it fast enuff.. i've only posted what i did because people were asking.. i'm not trying to scare people away from this gd, i just don't want people getting things without knowing what they should before buying a product.
Old 07-31-2002, 02:47 PM

i don't remember the hood being all that heavy but i could be wrong.. i think the hood is somewhere closer to 30lbs. i want the hood as long as i can get it fast enuff.. i've only posted what i did because people were asking.. i'm not trying to scare people away from this gd, i just don't want people getting things without knowing what they should before buying a product.
its all good mingo...i was sayn that the hood weighs about 60 lbs LESS than the stock hood, not that it weighs 60 lbs
atw
Old 07-31-2002, 03:19 PM
lcf

im very interested, boys. however, i want to come in a little later... particuliarly after some of the others have put the new hood on. i am concerned about fitment and possible imperfections in the mold that could cause me to get a $550+ piece of messed up carbon fiber. you know?

if this group goes through and they receive QUALITY carbon fiber hoods that cover the engine bay properly... im in.
Old 07-31-2002, 03:29 PM

Originally posted by lcf
im very interested, boys. however, i want to come in a little later... particuliarly after some of the others have put the new hood on. i am concerned about fitment and possible imperfections in the mold that could cause me to get a $550+ piece of messed up carbon fiber. you know?

if this group goes through and they receive QUALITY carbon fiber hoods that cover the engine bay properly... im in.
juss got an email from him, and no hood pins needed on the hoods...
well you can check out the site, www.bodykits.org and see if there are any testimonials or anything....when i first talked w/ this guy i told him that ppl want quality and will buy if it is quality, but hopefully we get 5-6 more buyers and then we'll find out...i dont this guy would sell cheap ****, juss cuz he has a name to carry throughout the industry....
atw
Old 07-31-2002, 04:46 PM

juss got an email from him, and no hood pins needed on the hoods...
well you can check out the site, www.bodykits.org and see if there are any testimonials or anything....when i first talked w/ this guy i told him that ppl want quality and will buy if it is quality, but hopefully we get 5-6 more buyers and then we'll find out...i dont this guy would sell cheap ****, juss cuz he has a name to carry throughout the industry....
atw
you say this guy is from walnut creek??? that's not too far from me... i don't think i can get a stock hood and let them prototype it... or are you going to be their prototype??
Old 07-31-2002, 10:46 PM

you say this guy is from walnut creek??? that's not too far from me... i don't think i can get a stock hood and let them prototype it... or are you going to be their prototype??
yea if i can find 10 buyers then yea, im gonna prototype....where you live mingo?
atw
Old 07-31-2002, 11:33 PM

yea if i can find 10 buyers then yea, im gonna prototype....where you live mingo?
atw
i live in mountain view.. but walnut isn't that bad of a drive for me.
Old 07-31-2002, 11:43 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

CF hoods are NOT street legal due to what mingo is talking about. They are not designed for saftey nor are they really a "performance mod". Yes, they are very light, it should come in at about 4-6lbs without the mounting hardware. You will save about 20-30lbs from stock. But the thing is, we drive yatchs for cars. 30lbs won't make much of a difference unless you are gutting your car completely for racing.

Luckily Maxima's have hood stops that prevent the hood from entering the cabin. Look at where your windsheild meets the body of the car, in the left and right corners. See those hooks? During a front impact, they are supposed to "catch" the hood and keep it from cutting off your head. The reason why cars on a track are required to have hood pins is so that they keep the hood where it is during an impact. They act like anchors if you will.

Personally I think that CF hoods look slick, it's just not a mod I'm interested in. It's more of a cosmetic mod than a go fast mod.