5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

clear bra recall???

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2002, 02:18 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

clear bra recall???

I had an appointment last week to have a complete front end clear bra with headlights installed. The shop called me back and said 3M called them and said they were having trouble with the bumper part of the bra shrinking and turning yellow. He told me that they should have the new bras out in 2-3 wekks and would call me back. Any one had any shrinking bra problems??? (ha ha keep it clean).
Old 07-30-2002, 02:24 PM
Very sound, Mike

That's interesting. In any case, try XPel. I think it's a 3M-type clear bra. Not sure if they're made by the same company.
Old 07-30-2002, 02:31 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: clear bra recall???

Originally posted by jaybird
I had an appointment last week to have a complete front end clear bra with headlights installed. The shop called me back and said 3M called them and said they were having trouble with the bumper part of the bra shrinking and turning yellow. He told me that they should have the new bras out in 2-3 wekks and would call me back. Any one had any shrinking bra problems??? (ha ha keep it clean).
That sounds really weird. It sounds like a product problem with the 3M ScothchCal (which I think all the different companies use). But why would it be related to just the bumper part? That would be an issue with the cut. These companies have machines that cut the pattern out of the material - that's what is generally different between the companies - a different pattern. But the material is the same.

Curious....

Shaydz
Old 07-30-2002, 04:52 PM

Avery-Dennison has a new product out to compete with the 3M brand. I have seen it, it looks good. They claim it stays clearer and doesnt shrink as much. Just ask when you buy your kit, the resellers should know who manufacturers the film.
Old 07-30-2002, 05:36 PM

Avery-Dennison has a new product out to compete with the 3M brand. I have seen it, it looks good. They claim it stays clearer and doesnt shrink as much. Just ask when you buy your kit, the resellers should know who manufacturers the film.
Old 08-29-2002, 12:00 AM

cause of shrinking

if you stretch the film too much and then stick it down(most CURVE areas, or if piece is too short and you make it fit) the film will gradually shrink due to the tension and insufficient alcohol to make to stick properly. As for yellowing, it WILL yellow on a white car due to the fusing of the road grease and grime onto the film. It creates a light layer yellowing that's irremovable.

-Expert Paint Protection Film Installer
Old 08-29-2002, 12:02 AM

Avery's film

harder and pain in the s to work with....and I install paint protection film for a living!
Old 08-29-2002, 03:20 AM

if you notice alot of clear plastic yellow over time this is because of the chemical properties changing when it is exposed to UV rays. these things will yellow, it's just a matter of time. but i definately wouldn't gripe if it took 5 yrz to turn yellow.
Old 08-29-2002, 04:20 AM

just wondering, but are they long-term removable w/out damage to paint/clear coat?
Old 08-29-2002, 04:24 AM

Originally posted by $tillen$ux
just wondering, but are they long-term removable w/out damage to paint/clear coat?
i remembered reading that someone removed the clear bra off his car after it was installed for a year just because he was curious as to what would happen, turns out it came off perfectly and there was not damage from it.
Old 08-29-2002, 10:05 AM

Originally posted by mingo
i remembered reading that someone removed the clear bra off his car after it was installed for a year just because he was curious as to what would happen, turns out it came off perfectly and there was not damage from it.
We had to remove numerous job of other installers. This is because there were like 3-6 pieces to cover the bumper. The new owner who bought the used Porsche, Bmw, etc. did not like seams all over the bumper. Thus, they either had us put on a one piece full bumper or just pay for the removal(depending on the installation, half the time, removal takes as long as the installation due to the adhesive strength). In any case, if your paint was original or FULLY cured after repainting(1 month for non-baked, 1 wk for baked), there's no problem in removing the film.
Old 08-29-2002, 10:13 AM

Originally posted by mingo
if you notice alot of clear plastic yellow over time this is because of the chemical properties changing when it is exposed to UV rays. these things will yellow, it's just a matter of time. but i definately wouldn't gripe if it took 5 yrz to turn yellow.
Yep, on white it really turns yellow(3M or the old film). This is due to the fusing of road grease and grime onto the film. Creating a permanent yellow layer over the film. The 3M film does not turn yellow since it got an UV inhibitor to allow the protected area to fade at the same rate as the non protected area. Only on a white vehicle will it turn yellow; any other color is fine. The old type of film, of which most car dealers have nightmares about, does turn yellow on any color car.