5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

2k2(3) Max vs 03 accord pics

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2002, 09:00 AM

2k2(3) Max vs 03 accord pics

http://www.autoweek.com/specials/gal.../accord/c1.jpg

Is it just me, or does that thing look butt!?

I don't know why everyone is worried about the next accord vs the max. The thing looks awful, like a large RSX. I'll stick to CL and TL's.
Old 08-05-2002, 09:06 AM

Re: 2k2(3) Max vs 03 accord pics

I think the coupe is very sexay Sure it copied the Benz CL rear end but at least it looks good. The sedan looks even more like a Mom's car now but with 240 horses under the hood...

more pix and info here

http://www.cardesignnews.com/news/20...ord/index.html
Old 08-05-2002, 09:07 AM
AIX

i think it looks smooth - but if you like this look - you might as well get the more refined cl/tl if you have the extra $$
Old 08-05-2002, 09:50 AM
jjs

What happened to the coupe market (to say nothing of sedans)??

Ok, granted it has been many years into the streamlined for efficiency styling on autos, but what even happened to SOME styling to make a car standout? I mean REALLY standout, not just argue over HP and features.

Looks like yet another suppository on wheels hits the road!!!

Phew, thanks for the chance to vent!!
Old 08-05-2002, 09:52 AM
Very sound, Mike

I think the worry doesn't come from the design aspects of it but rather from the performance that's going to come out of the slightly lighter coupe coupled with a 6spd tranny.
Old 08-05-2002, 09:56 AM
jjs

Agreed,

Originally posted by soundmike
I think the worry doesn't come from the design aspects of it but rather from the performance that's going to come out of the slightly lighter coupe coupled with a 6spd tranny.
but that just takes us full circle to the fact that if we are talking about the COUPE (much like the CL-S arguments), then the comparison should be against the 350.

I know there are two sides of this issue, but I truly feel comparisons should be made coupe to coupe, sedan to sedan.

Oh well...
Old 08-05-2002, 10:00 AM
Very sound, Mike

I agree with you, personally i wouldn't compare these two. In fact, i wouldn't compare the Maxima to the Accord in any way. That's the Altima's job.

But there's always people who want to beat other forms of transportations no matter what their class - compact/full/sub/truck/suv/motorcycle/bicycle. In this case the "comparison" from both Maxima and Accord-C comes from the performance #'s.

I would never worry that the Accord-C (Or CL/TL-s, etc) has better or equal performance #'s as the Maxima. If anything i'm actually proud that our Maxima's are being used as a comparison point - if you know what i mean
Old 08-05-2002, 10:19 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

MB SLK on the back end and a Toyota Solara on the front end. Dash looks better than on my '98 Coupe. Looks like Honda is still suffering from, like the Maxima, "Large Steering Wheel Syndrome" though. I'm sure the thing will be a fun drive. We'll have to see how aftermarket support lights up for the V6...still not so much out there.
Old 08-05-2002, 10:32 AM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

it looks like a frankencar
Old 08-05-2002, 01:49 PM

I only like how the Coupe looks...the four door is fugly
Old 08-05-2002, 02:32 PM

why don't nissan.......

.......come out with a 2 door coupe. either in the max or the altima???
i think the altima would look sweet.

i never understood why honda make their accord coupe and sedan look different. like the pontiac GA/GP ,the 2 door and 4 door look the same. them 4 door accords are uuuuuuuuuuugggggggglllyyyyyy!!!

kj
Old 08-05-2002, 02:35 PM

Here we go flaming all over the board again. THE MAX is a great bang for the buck, it IS NOT A KING. The new Altima can be compared to the Accord, not the prior gen. Alty, that car only had an itty-bitty four banger, ricer style. It was a truly in between car. Bigger than a Civic, much more ricer than an Accord. The shape is the new car is fabulous. What's up with the shape of the spy pictures of the newxt Max, that my friends is butt ugly, Cadillac boat style, KILL THE BEAST. 240 HP with a 6 spd., maybe not torquey enuff to smoke a 5th Gen. Max, but enough to play match up with it. Drop an Akimoto intake, Comptech headers, Greddy intake, smoke the Maxer like a salmon. Last but not least, no comparison when it comes to QC, as much as I love my Max, forget the numerous amount of TSB's.
Old 08-05-2002, 03:06 PM

One thing that many folks seem to overlook regarding the whole Altima/Maxima/Accord/Camry discussion is this:

The Altima, in its original and second-generation setup, was designed by Nissan to attack the four cylinder Accord and Camry. It failed miserably. It was too small and rough around the edges.

The Maxima, at least in its third-, fourth- and fifth-generation versions, was designed to go head-to-head with the V6 Accord and Camry. It also failed miserably, as the car was marketed very poorly as an upscale sports sedan, which confused intended buyers.

When Nissan released the 2002 Altima, the company finally had a competitive car to market against the Camry and Accord in all configurations. The Maxima is sort of an orphan right now, but if the rumors of it moving more upmarket to compete with the Avalon are true, the car will at least have a niche of sorts in which to stay. I'll tell you this, though: The Maxima is a fine car with no identity to American consumers. They don't know what it is, so they stay away from buying it in droves. And if Nissan decides to market the '04 car as a Japanese Buick, every Nissan enthusiast will have his heart wrenched out. A soft, floaty boat of a car is the last thing this company needs as it tries to reinvent itself (again) as a performance-oriented Japanese manufacturer.
Old 08-05-2002, 03:13 PM

The Maxima, at least in its third-, fourth- and fifth-generation versions, was designed to go head-to-head with the V6 Accord and Camry. It also failed miserably, as the car was marketed very poorly as an upscale sports sedan, which confused intended buyers.

The Maxima is a fine car with no identity to American consumers. They don't know what it is, so they stay away from buying it in droves. And if Nissan decides to market the '04 car as a Japanese Buick, every Nissan enthusiast will have his heart wrenched out. A soft, floaty boat of a car is the last thing this company needs as it tries to reinvent itself (again) as a performance-oriented Japanese manufacturer. [/B][/QUOTE]

This is so true. Our beloved Max(esp. the 5th. Genner.) is a great source of ridicule for the British press. Not only does it not have an identity, but it is ridiculed by not being a true competitor ina ANY class. Nevertheless, I still love my non-identity having Maxer.
Old 08-05-2002, 04:24 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by rubman
Here we go flaming all over the board again. THE MAX is a great bang for the buck, it IS NOT A KING.
Why'd you buy a Maxima?
Old 08-05-2002, 04:39 PM

I guess I don't understand how the Maxima failed miserably in comparison to Camry and Accord, I thought it competed well with these cars and out did them in many aspects. Nissan really did strike gold with the new Altima, but it did more than Camry and Accord and in my eyes blew them out of the water. The new Camry is well designed, but the 4 banger Altima IMO blows away the 4 cyl. accord and Camry as well as the 6 cyl. to the Toyota and Honda's 6's. It almost seems to me that Nissan is well ahead of Toyota and Honda and both of their sedans are kind of with out identity. This new accord is a coupe and although performance wise, its comparable to the 3.5 Altima, I don't think they're in the same class. My 2 cents.
Old 08-05-2002, 05:49 PM

i don't know why, but the door handle on the accord coupe looks...lost on the door. very out of place
Old 08-05-2002, 06:54 PM

Originally posted by MichaelAE

Why'd you buy a Maxima?
Not to flame the competition with a case that is a good bang for the buck. Not gods chariot. Definitely not to have to reaplace rotors on a car at 23k, have paint problems, a defective windshield, or a defective "supposedly" high end BOSE stereo. GET IT! As much as it's a great car for the $$$, much lke other cars it has lots of defects. As a matter of fact, sometimes more than lots of other cars. Hope that clarifies a thing or two for you.
Old 08-05-2002, 09:19 PM

Anyone got a barf bag????
Old 08-05-2002, 09:36 PM

Originally posted by rubman

Not to flame the competition with a case that is a good bang for the buck. Not gods chariot. Definitely not to have to reaplace rotors on a car at 23k, have paint problems, a defective windshield, or a defective "supposedly" high end BOSE stereo. GET IT! As much as it's a great car for the $$$, much lke other cars it has lots of defects. As a matter of fact, sometimes more than lots of other cars. Hope that clarifies a thing or two for you.
I don't understand this windshield problem you guys are claiming to have... I even hear people *****ing about it with 4th gens... The paint i can relate to...
Old 08-05-2002, 09:48 PM

Re: 2k2(3) Max vs 03 accord pics

Looks like a Mercury COugar mated with new mercedes.
I like my slow maxima anyday.
Roger
Old 08-05-2002, 09:48 PM

Sedan's H looks like it has a face w/ a bucktooth
Old 08-05-2002, 10:48 PM

Originally posted by ReichMax97
I guess I don't understand how the Maxima failed miserably in comparison to Camry and Accord, I thought it competed well with these cars and out did them in many aspects. Nissan really did strike gold with the new Altima, but it did more than Camry and Accord and in my eyes blew them out of the water. The new Camry is well designed, but the 4 banger Altima IMO blows away the 4 cyl. accord and Camry as well as the 6 cyl. to the Toyota and Honda's 6's. It almost seems to me that Nissan is well ahead of Toyota and Honda and both of their sedans are kind of with out identity. This new accord is a coupe and although performance wise, its comparable to the 3.5 Altima, I don't think they're in the same class. My 2 cents.
Maximas sold more then Accord V6's and Camry V6s.
Old 08-06-2002, 04:50 AM
Dyno plot says I have the most area under the Administrator curve

Originally posted by AznWontonboy
Maximas sold more then Accord V6's and Camry V6s.
...combined