5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

BOSE or BLOWS? Need advice for audio problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2002, 12:55 PM

BOSE or BLOWS? Need advice for audio problem

Hey,

I'm have a strange problem with my audio and since I'm not an auto audiophile I need suggestions.

When I'm playing the CD6 my entire left side speakers go in and out. When that happens I balance the speakers all the way to left to get clear on the sound and the speakers sound like they're blown or something. Muffled, crackling, and very low volume.

Here's the kicker...whenever I cut straight to the radio all speakers play absolutely fine and whats more is that when I hit bumps in the road with the CD player going the left speakers get thrown out/down or if they were already down they bumps throw the speakers back into normal balance and function.

This problem is only in relation to the CD6 player. I am already envisioning a nightmare at the Nissan Service Dept telling they can't duplicate problem, blah blah blah.

I've had the Max since Memorial Day. Any help or suggestions? Thanks.
Old 08-05-2002, 01:02 PM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Re: BOSE or BLOWS? Need advice for audio problem

Originally posted by ThomBlaze2k2SE
Hey,
...I've had the Max since Memorial Day. Any help or suggestions? Thanks.
Not sure I am going to be 100% help but I experienced sorta your problem. But mine would randomly cut in and out regardless of function. Not consistantly, very random. But since the dealer gouged my faceplate up they had to replace the radio....never happened since.

Since your car is very new (read: warranty) take it in, duplicate it for them right in front of them, take several disk to show them so they cant say its your music/disk. Once the bump "fixes" the issue, can you swap to radio and back to CD to "break" it again?

And most of all if they are going to take the radio out/diagnose it....TAKE YOUR CDS OUT AND HOME. The morons at my service left the CD in the head and shipped it out....took 6 weeks to get it back...DOH!
Old 08-05-2002, 01:08 PM

I had the same exzct problem. Thats really funny. I took it to nissan and they say its from the burned cds. They ordered me a new radio with no problem. Do you use burned cds.

Hey,

I'm have a strange problem with my audio and since I'm not an auto audiophile I need suggestions.

When I'm playing the CD6 my entire left side speakers go in and out. When that happens I balance the speakers all the way to left to get clear on the sound and the speakers sound like they're blown or something. Muffled, crackling, and very low volume.

Here's the kicker...whenever I cut straight to the radio all speakers play absolutely fine and whats more is that when I hit bumps in the road with the CD player going the left speakers get thrown out/down or if they were already down they bumps throw the speakers back into normal balance and function.

This problem is only in relation to the CD6 player. I am already envisioning a nightmare at the Nissan Service Dept telling they can't duplicate problem, blah blah blah.

Old 08-05-2002, 01:15 PM

Re: Re: BOSE or BLOWS? Need advice for audio problem

Originally posted by Colonel

Once the bump "fixes" the issue, can you swap to radio and back to CD to "break" it again?

And most of all if they are going to take the radio out/diagnose it....TAKE YOUR CDS OUT AND HOME. The morons at my service left the CD in the head and shipped it out....took 6 weeks to get it back...DOH!
Thanks for the advice Colonel. In fact when I switch back to CD from radio, more often than not the speakers will correct themselves however, most times, whatever state they were in when the CD was playing is the same state they are in when I return from radio back to CD.

Regards,
Old 08-05-2002, 01:23 PM

Re: Re: BOSE or BLOWS? Need advice for audio problem

Originally posted by juice
I had the same exzct problem. Thats really funny. I took it to nissan and they say its from the burned cds. They ordered me a new radio with no problem. Do you use burned cds.
Hmmm, interesting because in fact I DO use burned CD's although they are MUSIC CD-R's. It's not just the burned CD's that are playing when the sound problem occurs though.

But if burned CD's are the catalyst for this problem would you know the technical behind the scenes action the degrades the sound performance? Is it the CD heads? Can they not play CD-R formats over time and this causes them to degrade over time? I'm just guessing since I don't have a clue?

Wow...no more "home-mix"? CD's Did you stop playing CD-R's altogether?

Thanks for the reply.
Old 08-05-2002, 01:27 PM

Re: Re: Re: BOSE or BLOWS? Need advice for audio problem

Mine only plays out of the right speakers when playing cd's in any other mode its fine. I am not going to stop playing burned cds, if it breaks ill bring it back again.

Hmmm, interesting because in fact I DO use burned CD's although they are MUSIC CD-R's. It's not just the burned CD's that are playing when the sound problem occurs though.

But if burned CD's are the catalyst for this problem would you know the technical behind the scenes action the degrades the sound performance? Is it the CD heads? Can they not play CD-R formats over time and this causes them to degrade over time? I'm just guessing since I don't have a clue?

Thanks for the reply.
Old 08-05-2002, 01:32 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: Re: Re: BOSE or BLOWS? Need advice for audio problem

Hey bud, I had the EXACT same problem...left going out ONLY when CDs play, and I guarantee you that it was NOT the CD-Rs making it go out--it happened w\ ALL CDs. My CD player was in fact defective, I took it back to the dealer, and he went ahead and ordered me a brand new unit (I didnt have to "prove" anything to him). Granted it did take 2 months to get the damn thing off backorder, everyhting works great now (including my CD-Rs). Have them replace it and you'll be fine.

Thanks for the reply.
Old 08-05-2002, 03:58 PM

The quality of your CD must be very $hitty, or the CD is burned. Try swithcing the CD and see if you r still experiencing the problem
Old 08-05-2002, 05:02 PM

I had that problem and it got worse and worse. Came to a point were I was on the front left tweeter only. I took it in to the dealership and they had to order a new headunit. So three weeks later I'm still rolling around with no music
Old 08-05-2002, 08:04 PM
Maxima06071

lucky

Lucky, I have to use a cassette adapter and my Sony Walkman to play my burnt cd's.
and No my Bose system has never had a problem with my CD-RW's/CD-R's, but that's probably because I play them indirectly.

Old 08-31-2002, 10:56 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Same problem in an '03

I'm having the same problem in my month-old '03 SE. Two days ago, the left channel started cutting in and out, but only when playing CD's - the radio and cassette player both work fine (I have the Bose CD6 in-dash changer). The CD problem comes and goes when I go over bumps. Also, the problem is the same whether I use regular or burned CD's.

I'm going to have the dealer check it out first of the week.
Old 08-31-2002, 04:34 PM

EXACTLY!

JC,

Man, you couldn't have nailed it more exactly. That exactly describes my issue to a T!

I go in on Tuesday for my scheduled maintenance and they are scheduled to look at it then. So we'll see. I hope it performs well for them otherwise I will have to direct them to take the car out for a drive and tell them to definitely find the nearest bump in the road for good measure.

Originally posted by JCRocket
I'm having the same problem in my month-old '03 SE. Two days ago, the left channel started cutting in and out, but only when playing CD's - the radio and cassette player both work fine (I have the Bose CD6 in-dash changer). The CD problem comes and goes when I go over bumps. Also, the problem is the same whether I use regular or burned CD's.

I'm going to have the dealer check it out first of the week.
Old 08-31-2002, 06:25 PM
Very sound, Mike

It's the less-than-remarkeable-quality of the Clarion disc mechanism. It seems they're having problems with it not only on our OEM headunits but on some of their higher end units as well.

The symptoms your experiencing seems to be in line with everyone else's.
Old 08-31-2002, 06:37 PM

I highly doubt the problems you are all experiencing are from
CDR/CDR-Ws. I would think that they would either play in your CD player or they wouldn't. I have a hard time believing they would cause individual speakers to do what you're describing. It sounds like a new head unit is in order here.

Tony
Old 09-01-2002, 01:02 AM
ABS

I'm sorry to say, but many of us have reported this issue, myself included. If you do a search, you should find some other threads where this topic has been/is being discussed.

I am surprised to learn that 2K3's are also experiencing the issue. Apparently Clarion is supplying us with refurbished units (the idea of which really disturbs me).

I do not believe the cause of the problem is burned CD's (although I think the owner's manual says not to use CD-R's). I do believe the problem is a manufacturing issue with a printed circuit board for the left channel. It would seem that some component that is part of the CD output circuitry disconnects and reconnects itself as the car goes over bumps and the CD player vibrates.

My own observations have shown this to be the likely case. When the left channel is working, it sounds just fine. Go over a bump and the channel becomes very low output and distorted. Almost as if the CD pre-amp for the left channel is not receiving enough power. Come to think of it, this could also be an issue with the power supply for the left channel pre-amp.

According to Nissan USA, Clarion currently has a 6+ week back order on the refurbished units. Also, Nissan will not back these units past 36k miles, so I really hope Clarion fixes these HU's.
Old 09-01-2002, 12:31 PM

*** The problem MAY not be from the CDR-Ws, but it's probably related. Have you tried burning your CDs with a different program, or checking the balance settings on your sofware? Worth a look.

Originally posted by Tony Fernandes
I highly doubt the problems you are all experiencing are from
CDR/CDR-Ws. I would think that they would either play in your CD player or they wouldn't. I have a hard time believing they would cause individual speakers to do what you're describing. It sounds like a new head unit is in order here.

Tony
Old 09-01-2002, 03:38 PM
Banned

Originally posted by ABS
I'm sorry to say, but many of us have reported this issue, myself included. If you do a search, you should find some other threads where this topic has been/is being discussed.

I am surprised to learn that 2K3's are also experiencing the issue. Apparently Clarion is supplying us with refurbished units (the idea of which really disturbs me).

I do not believe the cause of the problem is burned CD's (although I think the owner's manual says not to use CD-R's). I do believe the problem is a manufacturing issue with a printed circuit board for the left channel. It would seem that some component that is part of the CD output circuitry disconnects and reconnects itself as the car goes over bumps and the CD player vibrates.

My own observations have shown this to be the likely case. When the left channel is working, it sounds just fine. Go over a bump and the channel becomes very low output and distorted. Almost as if the CD pre-amp for the left channel is not receiving enough power. Come to think of it, this could also be an issue with the power supply for the left channel pre-amp.

According to Nissan USA, Clarion currently has a 6+ week back order on the refurbished units. Also, Nissan will not back these units past 36k miles, so I really hope Clarion fixes these HU's.
Do you know if Clarion supplies the 6-disc CD Changers to all Nissan models, or just the 02-03 max's? I have a 6-disc CD changer in my 01 Altima and have had no problems playing CD-R's, even over bumps.
Old 09-01-2002, 03:48 PM
Very sound, Mike

I'm not sure, but if the 2k2 Altima is any indication, your headunit is probably an OEM'd by Matsu****a (Panasonic).

Originally posted by VQPowerSE

Do you know if Clarion supplies the 6-disc CD Changers to all Nissan models, or just the 02-03 max's? I have a 6-disc CD changer in my 01 Altima and have had no problems playing CD-R's, even over bumps.
Old 09-11-2002, 06:23 PM

My BOSE BLOWS too

I've been having the same problem with my BOSE 6CD unit. There is some sort of failure in the left channel. I seriously doubt it has anything to do with music CD-R's. We are probably not all using the same burn software so why hasn't the right channel developed the same problem? The left side circuitry must have some sort of mfg defect. Besides I discovered this problem with a "bought" CD.

Took it in to the dealer. They listened for a few minutes and are ordering me a new one (remanufactured unit I guess).
Old 09-11-2002, 06:26 PM

Re: My BOSE BLOWS too

Originally posted by wolfmanjack210
I've been having the same problem with my BOSE 6CD unit. There is some sort of failure in the left channel. I seriously doubt it has anything to do with music CD-R's. We are probably not all using the same burn software so why hasn't the right channel developed the same problem? The left side circuitry must have some sort of mfg defect. Besides I discovered this problem with a "bought" CD.

Took it in to the dealer. They listened for a few minutes and are ordering me a new one (remanufactured unit I guess).

Ditto that here. Was in for scheduled maintenance. Service is ordering me a new(?) one also. I was told that they had 3 other 2K2 Maximas before me with the same problem.

ThomBlaze!
Old 09-11-2002, 06:42 PM

Nissan Quality stinks

Among MANY other problems in my '02 SE, I have had the same problem with my Bose head unit. Don't hold your breath when you get a new HU. They replaced the original one with ANOTHER defective unit.

I'm beginning to hate Nissans
Old 09-30-2003, 07:34 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

CD left channel problem

Today is first time I noticed it but I also have the same problem as noted here in the group. Tried several store-bought CDs and all the same problem. If it's a loose component then the capacitive coupling left after the component lifts or just cross-talk from the other channel probably explains the poor quality left channel. No problems with radio and I haven't tried tapes since I found the problem.

We'll see what my Nissan dealer has to say when I bring it in tomorrow.

I'm not looking forward to the wait for the replacement unit though.

What about alternative audio systems for the max? Any recommendations?

- radarmax
Old 09-30-2003, 09:45 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by xfirepwr1
The quality of your CD must be very $hitty, or the CD is burned. Try swithcing the CD and see if you r still experiencing the problem
It doesn't matter for mine. Burned or bought cds.
ITS THE BOSEHEADUNIT. POS.
Old 09-30-2003, 10:55 PM
ABS

It's been some time since my last post, but here's the latest update. I'm now on my fourth HU. The first HU that came with the car had the left channel cutout problem. The replacement was good for about 15K and then suffered the same fate as the first. The third unit would randomly skip CD's which were otherwise perfect but no left channel problem and the CD sound quality was noticeably improved over the first two units. Just prior to the end of my warranty, at about 35K, I had the HU replaced again. This one also sounds much better than the first two, but still is skipping on CD's. These HU's are absolute crap. I am now looking to replace the Clarion POS HU all together with aftermarket.
Old 09-30-2003, 11:05 PM

it is definitely the same problem with the head unit that everyone is having. just FYI, if you give the HU a little tap with your fist it should temporarily correct the problem (just to get you through the down time)

i had the same problem. i am on my 3rd HU. first one had the same problem you are having. the 2nd one just randomly stopped reading my CDs after a couple days of having it (burned and professional CDs) and my new one has been acting strange but it hasnt showed me any consistant problems.

the dealer most definitely should replace it under warranty.
Old 10-01-2003, 06:33 AM
JUVIN's ride

Originally Posted by ThomBlaze2k2SE
Hey,

There is a TSB for this problem. I have it also. I am going to take my ride in.

http://maxima.theowensfamily.com/tsb/

Go through all the TSB's. I have 4 issues right now.
Old 10-01-2003, 06:49 AM
Boost.....

mine does the same thing....Im on my 2nd head unit.
Old 10-01-2003, 07:14 AM

Check out this link in the audio forum as well.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....hreadid=189182

It explains the whole issue.

I'm on my second HU. No problems so far.
Old 10-01-2003, 07:18 AM

<---- glad he replaced everything with aftermarket

BOSE just BLOSE!
Old 10-01-2003, 07:24 AM
92 SE-R 02 SE

i just had mine swapped out yesterday by the dealer. so far so good, the 1st one lasted 14 months..

Old 10-01-2003, 08:14 AM

just to clear this issue up, it has absolutely nothing to do with burned CD's. there is a 90 degree wire in the HU that gets knocked around and out of place, causes the left front speaker to crackle and sometimes cut out completely. have the problem documented, and get a new HU, but the manufacture date has to be after Dec. 2002