5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Dead Max

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2002, 10:10 PM

Dead Max

My Max died on the way home from work today. Accelerating in second gear kind of hard, hit third, and the engine just died, like I had shut off the key. Coasted to a stop, then tried to re-start. The engine started, idled for about three seconds, then died. Giving it gas just caused it to sputter. Fortunately, I was on a hill, and was able to coast it to the curb. Anyhow, had it towed to the dealer (Performance Nissan in Duarte, CA), will find out tomorrow what the prob is. Ironic, only about 400 miles to go until the basic warranty expires (got 35,600 miles on it now). Anybody have any thoughts? Only mod is a K&N drop-in, about 2K miles ago. Otherwise, completely stock.
Old 08-05-2002, 10:15 PM
The silent but deadly Moderator

yeah.. K&N filter -> MAF failure. Look at the recent posts. VERY common problem.
Old 08-05-2002, 10:20 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

do a search on MAF in our 5th gen forum...u will see couple good threads

and get it fixed under TSB...before u go to dealer, clean ur air box and put stock air filter back.
Old 08-05-2002, 10:22 PM

Originally posted by TimW
yeah.. K&N filter -> MAF failure. Look at the recent posts. VERY common problem.
No kidding, thought that problem was only being caused by intakes, not the drop-in. Well, car is already at the dealer, with the K&N. Think they will void the warranty? BTW, the SES light did NOT come on, which surprised me.
Old 08-05-2002, 10:33 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by stockmax

No kidding, thought that problem was only being caused by intakes, not the drop-in. Well, car is already at the dealer, with the K&N. Think they will void the warranty? BTW, the SES light did NOT come on, which surprised me.
really depends...some dealers are nice enough u fix it under warranty...some are not so nice, should've carry stock paper filter with u.
Old 08-05-2002, 10:53 PM

it *seems* like everyone is getting at least a one time fix when coming in with a non stock filter. If they deny you, ask for the TSB. Note the TSB (the one I read) says that your car must leave with an OEM filter, not come in with one. Again, you might have to have them read that a few times. it says an OEM filter must be *installed* for the warranty claim, says nothing about what you came in with.
Old 08-05-2002, 11:16 PM

so i can come with the Berk intake and i won't have any problems because i can say that in teh TSB that's what it says?
Old 08-05-2002, 11:18 PM

depends

intake has been 50/50 it seems... drop in filter only is not going to be as big of a deal to the dealer.
Old 08-07-2002, 07:07 AM

Re: Dead Max

Well, got the car back yesterday, MAF sensor bad, like you guys said. Of course, took all day for them to figure out. They first suspected bad gas, so they added some gas to the tank, in the process spilling it all over the side of the car and the wheel. Also got the car back filthy dirty, hand prints all over it, shoe scuffs on the driver's door panel, grease spot on the floor mat. Irritating stuff, but not enough to go back and complain, or even complain while I am there. However, ample reason why Nissan service rates so low.

Hey, in my warranty book that came with the car, it says that Nissan will pick up the cost of towing a vehicle to the nearest dealer due to a warranty covered breakdown. The service advisor looked at me like I had two heads when I asked him about it, finally told me I should call Nissan directly to get reimbursed, that he had never heard of that before. Anybody out there gotten Nissan to reimburse towing?

Thanks!
Old 08-07-2002, 11:21 PM

Re: Re: Dead Max

The service advisor looked at me like I had two heads when I asked him about it...
I know that look!
Old 08-08-2002, 12:01 AM

Re: Re: Dead Max

Well, got the car back yesterday, MAF sensor bad, like you guys said. Of course, took all day for them to figure out. They first suspected bad gas, so they added some gas to the tank, in the process spilling it all over the side of the car and the wheel. Also got the car back filthy dirty, hand prints all over it, shoe scuffs on the driver's door panel, grease spot on the floor mat. Irritating stuff, but not enough to go back and complain, or even complain while I am there. However, ample reason why Nissan service rates so low.

Hey, in my warranty book that came with the car, it says that Nissan will pick up the cost of towing a vehicle to the nearest dealer due to a warranty covered breakdown. The service advisor looked at me like I had two heads when I asked him about it, finally told me I should call Nissan directly to get reimbursed, that he had never heard of that before. Anybody out there gotten Nissan to reimburse towing?

Thanks!
I'm actually in a claim against Nissan right now dont know how its going to work out. The dealership paid for my towing and then made me call nissan for the other damages on my car. dont know how it is going to work out. the dealership said it will take awhile for nissan to pay thats if they pay.
Old 08-08-2002, 07:16 AM

Re: Re: Re: Dead Max

Called Nissan yesterday morning, they were very helpful, had to fax the tow receipt, service work order and my registration to them. She called back in about an hour, said I would have a check within 10 days. I asked why the dealer couldn't handle this, then just submit a claim to Nissan themselves, and she said that only a few of the dealers wanted to go to that hassle (her words). Do we wonder why Nissan service ranks so low? Wonder if Infiniti forces the customer to do that..........
Old 08-08-2002, 08:58 AM

Wierd that the SES light didn't just come on. I've run a K&N on both my old 2000 and now my 2002, and no problems. They probably don't even check the air filter to see if it's aftermarket.