5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

How to spot a Supra TT from N/A

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2002, 08:56 AM

How to spot a Supra TT from N/A

Quick question.

There's this new car around my work,a last generation Toyota Supra, and I'm tempted to play with him sometime in my 2k2 6 spd.

Any easy was to visually tell the twin turbo Supras from the normally aspirated ones. Were they badged as "Turbo" or something?
Old 08-09-2002, 08:58 AM

it says supra in a funky font. (i think)
the exhaust?
the rims
asides from that it's pretty hard to tell the difference..
with mr2's just look at the badge it says "turbo" if not check if the side moldings are color matched.
Old 08-09-2002, 09:00 AM
Maxting

Q. How to spot a Supra TT from N/A
A. Run him a find out!
A. Ask the guy?
A. Listen for bov.

Old 08-09-2002, 09:03 AM

Originally posted by Maxting
Q. How to spot a Supra TT from N/A
A. Run him a find out!
A. Ask the guy?
A. Listen for bov.
the stock bypass valve isn't all that loud, a drone from an aftermarket exhaust could drown out the sound comin' from the bypass valve aka recirculation valve.
Old 08-09-2002, 09:06 AM

The Turbo Supras, say "Turbo" on the rear brake calipers.
Old 08-09-2002, 09:07 AM

Originally posted by 2K2_6spd
oh weird i never noticed that.. are the fronts any different? i know they say "supra" do the NA supras also get 4pot callipers?
Old 08-09-2002, 09:11 AM

Sounds like a good way to spot it. Any clues inside? Did the TT come with a 6 spd and the NA with a 5 or anything like that. I peeked throught the window the other day and I'm pretty sure its a 6-spd.

The interior is quite up-to-date considering its like a 4 to 5 year old car.

Old 08-09-2002, 09:12 AM

Originally posted by Eric
Sounds like a good way to spot it. Any clues inside? Did the TT come with a 6 spd and the NA with a 5 or anything like that. I peeked throught the window the other day and I'm pretty sure its a 6-spd.

turbos also came in autotragic
Old 08-09-2002, 09:14 AM
Maxting

Originally posted by mingo
the stock bypass valve isn't all that loud, a drone from an aftermarket exhaust could drown out the sound comin' from the bypass valve aka recirculation valve.
Most Turbo Supras I see on the road are modded and have the BOV? Although I have seen what "look and "sound" like stock Supra Turbos they aren't very common.

Old 08-09-2002, 09:19 AM

this is going to be hard to spot when they blow past ya...ha. i'd be careful, i've seen plenty of tt supra's w/ no badging.

Old 08-09-2002, 09:22 AM
Administrator

the only way to tell is to pop the hood.. because you can do anything to make a NA supra look like a TT
Old 08-09-2002, 09:25 AM

Originally posted by SprintMax
the only way to tell is to pop the hood.. because you can do anything to make a NA supra look like a TT
including sound like with one of themz NA bov's.
Old 08-09-2002, 10:22 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Yes. NA are 5 spd. TT are 6 spd.
NA have stock 16" wheels while TT have 17"
If it says 15th anniversary edition it is TT
Old 08-09-2002, 10:24 AM

That means its a TT because its definitely a 6-spd. Oh well, if I get a chance to run we'll see how well I can keep up.

Originally posted by Max_Gator

Yes. NA are 5 spd. TT are 6 spd.
NA have stock 16" wheels while TT have 17"
If it says 15th anniversary edition it is TT
Old 08-09-2002, 10:39 AM

TT are 6 spd.
But TT's do come in automagic right?
Old 08-09-2002, 10:58 AM

Originally posted by Greg's2kGLE

But TT's do come in automagic right?
Yep. All the really fast ones are autos.
Old 08-09-2002, 11:07 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Unless they've been debadged, on the right rear above the tailight it will say "Supra Turbo".

Supra Turbo

Now, whether it's a true TT or if they've upgraded to a bigger single turbo, that's a different question .
Old 08-09-2002, 11:08 AM

Originally posted by Tanman
Unless they've been debadged, on the right rear above the tailight it will say "Supra Turbo".

Supra Turbo

Now, whether it's a true TT or if they've upgraded to a bigger single turbo, that's a different question .
Not all of them have that Turbo emblem if I recall correctly. Only some years had it.
Old 08-09-2002, 11:10 AM

Not all of them have that Turbo emblem if I recall correctly. Only some years had it.
Could be. Want to prove it with a link?
Old 08-09-2002, 11:21 AM

Re: How to spot a Supra TT from N/A

Quick question.

There's this new car around my work,a last generation Toyota Supra, and I'm tempted to play with him sometime in my 2k2 6 spd.

Any easy was to visually tell the twin turbo Supras from the normally aspirated ones. Were they badged as "Turbo" or something?
well, if it's stock, the TT has a big wing in the rear...you can spot a N/A one with the same wing tho...

but most likely, you'll find out for sure if you'd race him..if he's really TT, then he'll smoke you big time!
Old 08-09-2002, 11:35 AM

Could be. Want to prove it with a link?

Oh, geez.

Here's my link:

http://www.supraforums.com/showthrea...t=turbo+emblem

Where's yours?
Old 08-09-2002, 12:03 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

you can also check for the smic. i think it is on the passenger side.
Old 08-09-2002, 12:30 PM

What's a smic?

Originally posted by MaximaZero
you can also check for the smic. i think it is on the passenger side.
Old 08-09-2002, 12:31 PM

Oh, geez.

Here's my link:

http://www.supraforums.com/showthrea...t=turbo+emblem

Where's yours?
Well, that sort of proves it, I guess. They don't seem entirely sure themselves.

What's with the attitude though? I just wanted some proof, since you didn't seem allthat sure yourself .
Old 08-09-2002, 01:34 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

What's a smic?

Side mount intercooler.
Old 08-09-2002, 03:53 PM

Are you saying you would mess with one, not the other?
They are beyond you either way!
Old 08-09-2002, 04:25 PM

Originally posted by see5
How so? 225hp\214tq isn't too far out of our range. And Eric's is a 2K2 6-speed.
Old 08-09-2002, 05:30 PM

Alright guys, check this out.
My bro has a latest model supra nonturbo manual and I have a 2K MAX manual. I've raced him before and I've killed him by like 1.5 - 2 car lengths. This was when I was completely stock, before I charged it. He had some mods like cam gears and a catback exhaust and I still would beat him (imagine now with SC). Even he doesn't know how the MAX can beat him with such easiness. I couldn't believe it either! I was in shock when I did! I've raced him several times and it's always the same thing. I believe they are geared in such a way that the bottom end is really slow but it DOES pickup on top end. So, if u have a 2000+ MAX, u can beat a NA supra easy just as long as u r a good decent driver. But NEways, U can tell the difference of a NA with a TT supra by:

TT supras have much bigger brakes (some r painted black)
TT have a 6 speed, Na's only have 5 speed
TT have bigger rims (17's) ,that's why they have bigger brakes.
TT have SMIC, which u can see in the front sides of the front bumper
TT also have a traction control button under their stereo

A TT will kill a MAX even with a SC but a MAX will definitely eat NA supra
Old 08-09-2002, 05:39 PM

yep for the ones thats seen my web page i raced a TT one day we started at 60 i slammed the gas only pulled 1/2 a car length at 80 he had me by 1 car length at 95 2 carlengths at 130 there was about 3 car lenghts between us and the pic is on the second page of my homepage it looks alot further than 3 lengths but it was 3.
Old 08-09-2002, 05:42 PM

Originally posted by maxxboost00

A TT will kill a MAX even with a SC but a MAX will definitely eat NA supra
Supra TT is 3500+ lbs at 320hp/315tq engine. There are some SC'd Maximas with almost that much power at the wheels.
Old 08-09-2002, 06:09 PM

Simpliest way to tell if a Supra is NA or TT (as long as it's standing still), outside of the larger rims (which are usually replaced):

look in the passenger side duct under the headlamp. If you see an intercooler... it's a TT.

and whoever said that thing about the rear calipers saying "turbo" is on crack.
Old 08-10-2002, 01:16 PM

I think I could easily take a normally aspirated Supra in my 2k2 6 spd. They were only 225 hp.

Turbo, on the other hand, would be a different story, especially with half these guys running mods that pump them up to 400-500 hp.

You gotta hand it to Toyota turbo motors - they really take mods well.

Originally posted by see5
Old 08-10-2002, 01:31 PM

I think I could easily take a normally aspirated Supra in my 2k2 6 spd. They were only 225 hp.

Turbo, on the other hand, would be a different story, especially with half these guys running mods that pump them up to 400-500 hp.

You gotta hand it to Toyota turbo motors - they really take mods well.

Actually the turbos are putting out 600 to 700 HP fully modded. There is a guy on the Corvette Fourm who has one that runs in the 9s and is streetable!
I traded drives with a guy with my 300zxtt in his 550hp> single turbo Supra and while it did not have the low end torque it was way faster than my modded C5.
Old 08-10-2002, 04:13 PM

Well, that sort of proves it, I guess. They don't seem entirely sure themselves.

What's with the attitude though? I just wanted some proof, since you didn't seem allthat sure yourself .

It is kinda obnoxious to ask someone to "prove it with a link."

You would have called me an *** if I'd asked you to "prove it with a link" after you posted that all turbos have an emblem.

Fact of the matter is I was trying to nicely say you were wrong - that's why I put it that way.
Old 08-10-2002, 04:21 PM

Yeah, but most TT supras nowadays have upgrades. Turbo cars have so much more potential to gain HP compared to "all motor" and SC'd cars. All they need is a boost controller and BANG there's an extra 60-100 HP (at least for TT)! It's also cheaper to modify a Turbo car compared to NA or even SC'd cars. But NE-ways, I'm really happy with my SC MAX cuz I can really kill my bro's NA supra! He doesn't like to race me anymore cuz HE knows better! I just don't know what I'm gonna do when he gets his turbo kit cuz he's gonna have 400 at the wheels! He's gonna be the one laughing now. That sucks!! I need more BOOST!
Old 08-10-2002, 05:55 PM

It is kinda obnoxious to ask someone to "prove it with a link."

You would have called me an *** if I'd asked you to "prove it with a link" after you posted that all turbos have an emblem.

Fact of the matter is I was trying to nicely say you were wrong - that's why I put it that way.
I posted that Supra TTs have the emblem, not meaning it as an absolute fact. You corrected me, that's cool, but I'd like a source for your information so I don't know you didn't just assume it.

If you had asked me to prove it with a link, I would have said I can't, it's just something I noticed. Even in the forum link you provided, no one was sure about it, so actually you proved nothing.
Old 08-10-2002, 10:31 PM

OMG~! So many things that arn't true!~!!! Supra with 4piston calipers??? supra w/ a "turo" written on the brakes??? can't tell a TT from a NA??? OMG

Im not trying to be get anyone mad....buh ....damnit...it ****ed me off to know there are pple out there who hardly know anything about it.... (im a hardcore supra fan...its my dream car,wanted it ever since 6th grade...)

the N/A supra is basically the "Cressida" the rwd sedan of the 80's" same engine... the late model supra's have the VVT-i which is basically the IS300
the supra's w/ badges that say turbo on them, its the latermodels i think it was 97 and 98 97 being the limited edition model
all TT comes w/ a 6spd or an auto
the autos are only faster on the TT cars b/c the gear ratios are better for the boosted cars, more time fore more boost, in the 6spd, the gears are closer causing the person to shift and loose max boost. the stock TT supra auto wasn't much of a diff. to a stick...only .1 sec. on quarter
the supra duz come big 17's stock, and that big *** wing which got like the worst rating for a stock spoiler comes stock on the TT... it if they did "fix up" their cars...they would have a big *** IC in the front.
MOST PPLE dont have 10k to spend on a crazy turbo setup...theres alot more to that **** than just the big *** turbo alone...
make a streetable 9sec car??? thats SO freaking expensive~! i've worked on one b4...and turbocharged cars.if ur going to run high boost for an extended period of time you have to get internal engine work such as sleeves and forged pistons...(wrx was brought in yesterday w/ a blown motor...cause= too much boost)
and the people who run the 800 hp ****....thats only if you use like 100 octane~! u might be able to get into the 1000 if you put dry ice on the IC and run 110octane race fuel..... most of the time u'll be running around 500 w/ 87 octane...
and to me and many others out there....
www.mkiv.com
is a great site....
DONT THINK IM A SMARTASS~ I might be 17,but man, i thought u pple would be a tad smarter than me..... jeez
IF YOU GUYS THINK IM AN IDIOT, I WELCOME U TO PROVE ME WRONG~!!
Old 08-10-2002, 10:40 PM

sorry guys... i sounded like an ***...it just got to me to read such a thing....i've looked into the supra for a long time now, and just got to me when i read something like this....and to read what kinda stuff some pple said...sorry guys....its like asking how do you tell the diff from a 2k2 GLE and a 2000 GXE....and gettin replys like "a 2k2 will come with a stillen rear valance"
Old 08-11-2002, 06:26 AM

I posted that Supra TTs have the emblem, not meaning it as an absolute fact. You corrected me, that's cool, but I'd like a source for your information so I don't know you didn't just assume it.

If you had asked me to prove it with a link, I would have said I can't, it's just something I noticed. Even in the forum link you provided, no one was sure about it, so actually you proved nothing.
What is your deal? Can't take a bit of heat when you call someone and they prove you wrong?

And I see your logic now, it is ok for you to "assume" your facts but if anyone disagrees with you (even in the diplomatic way I did it) they have to "prove" it. After all, if I didn't go find the proof you demanded then I would be wrong, wouldn't I?

Short of it is that if you are going to go around asking people to prove something with a link - when you really have no clue as to what you are talking about -then you need to be mature enough to take a little "oh geez."

As for the "proof," I found that in about 30 seconds and thought it was sufficient - guess it didn't quite meet your standard of proof . . . which is what: personal observation of a few Supras?

I guess you need DEFINITIVE proof (in writing from Toyota?) to overcome the wealth of evidence you have to support your statement that they all have an emblem.

But, not to digress, I think the link sufficiently proves it. That is, unless you contend that the Supra owners who said their Supra did not come with an emblem are lying to help me out. Believe it or not, that post is not even the basis for my statement: I based my statement on the mkiv.com e-mail list discussions that I got for about a year before deciding not to buy one.

One final thing: Perhaps you would care to explain why you would mischaracterize the post by saying "no one was sure about it?" The posters pretty clearly establish that only the 97-98 came with the large Turbo decal and that the small turbo emblem in the rectangular square was a Souteast Toyota dealers option. There were at least 3-4 posters who said their TT had no emblem.
Old 08-11-2002, 08:31 AM

Let your anger be like a monkey in a pinata; hiding in the candy, hoping the children don't break through with the stick.

Originally posted by AzNx2k2xSEXima
OMG~! So many things that arn't true!~!!! Supra with 4piston calipers??? supra w/ a "turo" written on the brakes??? can't tell a TT from a NA??? OMG

Im not trying to be get anyone mad....buh ....damnit...it ****ed me off to know there are pple out there who hardly know anything about it.... (im a hardcore supra fan...its my dream car,wanted it ever since 6th grade...)

the N/A supra is basically the "Cressida" the rwd sedan of the 80's" same engine... the late model supra's have the VVT-i which is basically the IS300
the supra's w/ badges that say turbo on them, its the latermodels i think it was 97 and 98 97 being the limited edition model
all TT comes w/ a 6spd or an auto
the autos are only faster on the TT cars b/c the gear ratios are better for the boosted cars, more time fore more boost, in the 6spd, the gears are closer causing the person to shift and loose max boost. the stock TT supra auto wasn't much of a diff. to a stick...only .1 sec. on quarter
the supra duz come big 17's stock, and that big *** wing which got like the worst rating for a stock spoiler comes stock on the TT... it if they did "fix up" their cars...they would have a big *** IC in the front.
MOST PPLE dont have 10k to spend on a crazy turbo setup...theres alot more to that **** than just the big *** turbo alone...
make a streetable 9sec car??? thats SO freaking expensive~! i've worked on one b4...and turbocharged cars.if ur going to run high boost for an extended period of time you have to get internal engine work such as sleeves and forged pistons...(wrx was brought in yesterday w/ a blown motor...cause= too much boost)
and the people who run the 800 hp ****....thats only if you use like 100 octane~! u might be able to get into the 1000 if you put dry ice on the IC and run 110octane race fuel..... most of the time u'll be running around 500 w/ 87 octane...
and to me and many others out there....
www.mkiv.com
is a great site....
DONT THINK IM A SMARTASS~ I might be 17,but man, i thought u pple would be a tad smarter than me..... jeez
IF YOU GUYS THINK IM AN IDIOT, I WELCOME U TO PROVE ME WRONG~!!

Quick Reply: How to spot a Supra TT from N/A