5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

How to spot a Supra TT from N/A

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2002, 10:20 AM

Originally posted by AzNx2k2xSEXima
IF YOU GUYS THINK IM AN IDIOT, I WELCOME U TO PROVE ME WRONG~!!
Oh, this should be fun.

(im a hardcore supra fan...its my dream car,wanted it ever since 6th grade...)
Likewise. I also owned a MKiii Supra...helped coordinate the Vegas supra meets...etc etc

the N/A supra is basically the "Cressida" the rwd sedan of the 80's" same engine... the late model supra's have the VVT-i which is basically the IS300
Partially true.

The Supra is question is a MKiv... why add more confusion about the Cressidas? The Cressida has the same engine as the 86.5-92 NA Supras. The MKiv NA Supra (93-98) share the same engine as the SC300. The vvt-i 2jz-ge was only in the 97-98 NA Supra. No turbo Supra had vvt-i.

the supra's w/ badges that say turbo on them, its the latermodels i think it was 97 and 98 97 being the limited edition model
Not true. It's sporatic on which years had the badge. Plus, it's hardly a reasonable way of telling which supras had turbos.

the autos are only faster on the TT cars b/c the gear ratios are better for the boosted cars, more time fore more boost, in the 6spd, the gears are closer causing the person to shift and loose max boost. the stock TT supra auto wasn't much of a diff. to a stick...only .1 sec. on quarter
Partially true.

The reason why autos are quicker is cause they don't lose boost between shifts...whereas manuals do. this is true for every stock turbo car. you cannot maintain the same boost level between shifts as well as an automatic can...since the auto still has load on the engine between shifts. No one can shift as fast as an automatic, therefore, there's a drop in boost. Don't believe me? Hook up a boost gauge to a turboed auto and a manual. Record a 1/4 run with the boost gauge in clear view. record the dip between shifts... it'll be substantially lower for the manual than the auto.

and that big *** wing which got like the worst rating for a stock spoiler comes stock on the TT...
The spoiler is the worst way to tell the MKiv Supras apart. Since it was an option on the NAs for the first few years then all supras got them. The only generation of supras to depict which is a turbo or not is the MKiii. If it had a spoiler, 9 times out of 10...it was a turbo.

plus, the mkiv spoiler is suppose to be one of the most usable spoilers on a stock car. it's said to create something like 60lbs of downforce at 100mph.
Old 08-11-2002, 11:17 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Max_Gator

What is your deal? Can't take a bit of heat when you call someone and they prove you wrong?

And I see your logic now, it is ok for you to "assume" your facts but if anyone disagrees with you (even in the diplomatic way I did it) they have to "prove" it. After all, if I didn't go find the proof you demanded then I would be wrong, wouldn't I?

Short of it is that if you are going to go around asking people to prove something with a link - when you really have no clue as to what you are talking about -then you need to be mature enough to take a little "oh geez."

As for the "proof," I found that in about 30 seconds and thought it was sufficient - guess it didn't quite meet your standard of proof . . . which is what: personal observation of a few Supras?

I guess you need DEFINITIVE proof (in writing from Toyota?) to overcome the wealth of evidence you have to support your statement that they all have an emblem.

But, not to digress, I think the link sufficiently proves it. That is, unless you contend that the Supra owners who said their Supra did not come with an emblem are lying to help me out. Believe it or not, that post is not even the basis for my statement: I based my statement on the mkiv.com e-mail list discussions that I got for about a year before deciding not to buy one.

One final thing: Perhaps you would care to explain why you would mischaracterize the post by saying "no one was sure about it?" The posters pretty clearly establish that only the 97-98 came with the large Turbo decal and that the small turbo emblem in the rectangular square was a Souteast Toyota dealers option. There were at least 3-4 posters who said their TT had no emblem.
Wow, you think I have a problem? You're blowing this way out of proportion. I stated something I've noticed, you made another claim, so I asked that you back it up somehow (go back and read my post willya? I said "could be, care to prove it with a link"). If you had asked me to back up my claim, I would have said I couldn't, it's just something I've noticed. So when I asked you to back it up, maybe I should have added some flowers and kisses so you knew I didn't mean any discourtesy by asking you to support your claim .
If you actually read the Supra forum posts, no one there has a definitive answer, they just posted whether or not their Supra had the turbo emblem. I see a lot of "I believe" and "that makes sense". Even the senior members there didn't really know.

So back to the point, I was only asking that you support what you said, since no one here seems to know either. And again, if you had asked the same of me, I would have said I couldn't. But could you? Obviously not.
Old 08-11-2002, 02:34 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Tanman

Wow, you think I have a problem? You're blowing this way out of proportion. I stated something I've noticed, you made another claim, so I asked that you back it up somehow (go back and read my post willya? I said "could be, care to prove it with a link"). If you had asked me to back up my claim, I would have said I couldn't, it's just something I've noticed. So when I asked you to back it up, maybe I should have added some flowers and kisses so you knew I didn't mean any discourtesy by asking you to support your claim .
If you actually read the Supra forum posts, no one there has a definitive answer, they just posted whether or not their Supra had the turbo emblem. I see a lot of "I believe" and "that makes sense". Even the senior members there didn't really know.

So back to the point, I was only asking that you support what you said, since no one here seems to know either. And again, if you had asked the same of me, I would have said I couldn't. But could you? Obviously not.
Well, tanman, I think the 30 seconds worth of research I did supported EXACTLY what I said: That not all of them come with an emblem. Several members plainly stated that theirs did not come with one. I guess you still need more than that. So, I'll do some research when I get some time and tell you WHY and WHICH ONES. What I've provided to you is certainly better than your proof.

As for the rest, you were the one who took offense to my "attitude" which simply consisted of the statement "oh geez" and a request for your link. You accuse me of being sensitive???? Seems to me that you are the one that needs flowers and kisses.
Old 08-11-2002, 02:36 PM

Well, tanman, I think the 30 seconds worth of research I did supported EXACTLY what I said: That not all of them come with an emblem. Several members plainly stated that theirs did not come with one. I guess you still need more than that. So, I'll do some research when I get some time and tell you WHY and WHICH ONES. What I've provided to you is certainly better than your proof.

As for the rest, you were the one who took offense to my "attitude" which simply consisted of the statement "oh geez" and a request for your link. You accuse me of being sensitive???? Seems to me that you are the one that needs flowers and kisses.
Guys : Give it up!
Old 08-11-2002, 03:10 PM

You're first post said "Not all of them have that Turbo emblem if I recall correctly. Only some years had it."
So I asked you to back it up, since you didn't seem entirely sure (if I recall correctly? sounds certain to me ).

And if you check the supra forum thread (please read their statements, instead of just skimming), none of them are certain of the facts. Some tell you what they have, but don't mention if they bought it used and it came that way, or if it came from the dealer that way, etc, etc. Even at the end, they're still guessing and saying "I believe" and "that makes sense". Not exactly rock hard confident are they?

Then you go off with the "oh geez" and "where's yours?". Most folks would just post the link and leave it at that. You had to be a smarta$$ and get the last word in.
Old 08-12-2002, 04:32 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Tanman

You're first post said "Not all of them have that Turbo emblem if I recall correctly. Only some years had it."
So I asked you to back it up, since you didn't seem entirely sure (if I recall correctly? sounds certain to me ).

And if you check the supra forum thread (please read their statements, instead of just skimming), none of them are certain of the facts. Some tell you what they have, but don't mention if they bought it used and it came that way, or if it came from the dealer that way, etc, etc. Even at the end, they're still guessing and saying "I believe" and "that makes sense". Not exactly rock hard confident are they?

Then you go off with the "oh geez" and "where's yours?". Most folks would just post the link and leave it at that. You had to be a smarta$$ and get the last word in.
It is too bad you are mad. Obviously you feel that "oh geez" and "where's your link" are far more insulting than "prove it with a link." I didn't. I took exception to your *****y little "prove it with a link" crap. And I still do.

The issue of whether my post conclusively "proved" my statement is something you decided to grasp onto in an effort to change the subject - which was purportedly my "attitude".

As I said above, I KNOW that not all of them come with an emblem and I know it from reading a year's worth of the mkiv mailing list as well as the year+ I've spent looking at them. No, I don't know exactly which ones and No, I don't know why. Suffice it to say, I had a far better basis for my statement than you did for yours (which is observation of what - 4 supras?)

The link I found took me, honestly, 30 seconds to find and a couple minutes to read. It was not exhaustive research but rather was to shut you up and satisfy your little "prove it with a link" statement.

As for having the last word, fine - you can have it - although you had the first as well. I don't have any personal animosity towards you and have never taken exception to your posts before (that I recall) and don't intend to in the future. If you feel otherwise, that is up to you.
Old 08-12-2002, 06:00 AM

It is too bad you are mad. Obviously you feel that "oh geez" and "where's your link" are far more insulting than "prove it with a link." I didn't. I took exception to your *****y little "prove it with a link" crap. And I still do.

The issue of whether my post conclusively "proved" my statement is something you decided to grasp onto in an effort to change the subject - which was purportedly my "attitude".

As I said above, I KNOW that not all of them come with an emblem and I know it from reading a year's worth of the mkiv mailing list as well as the year+ I've spent looking at them. No, I don't know exactly which ones and No, I don't know why. Suffice it to say, I had a far better basis for my statement than you did for yours (which is observation of what - 4 supras?)

The link I found took me, honestly, 30 seconds to find and a couple minutes to read. It was not exhaustive research but rather was to shut you up and satisfy your little "prove it with a link" statement.

As for having the last word, fine - you can have it - although you had the first as well. I don't have any personal animosity towards you and have never taken exception to your posts before (that I recall) and don't intend to in the future. If you feel otherwise, that is up to you.
The only thing I'm mad about is that you don't even see 1% of the fact that you are being a punk about this. All I asked for was something to back up your words because it did not agree with my personal observation. You didn't necessarily have to provide a link, you could have said "I've known Supras for years" as you claim. But you did provide a link, however obnoxiously grudgingly, but the link didn't even prove your point! Changing the subject? That was the subject, you schmuck.
But alright, we've had our fun, we ruined this thread, back to the point.
Old 08-12-2002, 06:03 AM

Now if Max-Gator had a link to information like this, I wouldn't have questioned his authority:

This is the response I received after emailing the site owner of www.to4r.com, a great site where you can see some awesome 700+HP Supras:

The N/A Supra came stock with smaller rims, 16" vs. the TT 17" rims. The N/A
also got smaller front brake/calipers then the TT version, this is always the easiest way to tell an N/A vs. the TT. N/A's only came in 5 speed manual
transmission and the TT's are always 6 speed manuals.

The Turbo models had Turbo batches on certain year models, and other didnt get any badging at all othe rthan the Toyota logo. Which specific years I
cannot remember.

Ofcourse, if you open the hood of an N/A there is always the shock of not seeing the twin sequential turbo setup on the left side of the straight six.

Thx for the good comments! Not a bad site you got yourself =)

take care,
nils