5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

2k-2k1 owners, How I got a Roar/Growl of aftermarket Intake from stock Intake :)

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2002, 02:44 PM

2k-2k1 owners, How I got a Roar/Growl of aftermarket Intake from stock Intake :)

I was fiddling around with my VIAS, not NVIS , becuase I had a feeling it wasn't functioning and I just happened to be curious so I thought to myself, since the VIAS is probably useless, why not disconnect that part and just leave the rest of the intake, the part after the air filter going to the throttle body.

This is basically an OOGLY SHORT RAM INTAKE (OSRI)

What would happen if I were to remove the air-filter and the 'holder' (The box with two clips that is attached to the air-filter) so that the air no longer is being sucked from the front of the engine compartment, making the VIAS useless? Now with a retangular hole where the air-filter use to be, I decided to leave it off just to see if there will be any sound. I went around the block giving it 1/4 throttle and what did I hear? ROAR!!! GROWL!!! HISS!!! PSSSSSS!!! Knowing that I can't drive around everyday without an air-filter, I placed the air-filter back in the hole without the 'holder', putting insulation tape on the top part of the air-filter and using electrical tape to hold the filter in place. Now the car is breathing through a shorter ram from the space left in the hole, almost similar in length to the Stillen Intake. Suprisingly, the gap is still pretty large. I took out the car for a test last night to see how well it does...

Well, the car is stock quiet when you hardly give it gas but give it 1/4 throttle and WHOA! GET OUT OF MY WAY ROAR/GROWL until 4,000rpms it turns into a SNARL, then at 5,500rpm its a combination of BOTH, similar but slightly quieter to a my friend Jack's Stillen Intake. His Stillen Intake came with a K&N and I still have the stock Filter. No B.S. This thing also HISS'S and PSSS when the car shifts. I did WOT and this car hauled serious *** above 4k and it will pull super strong as redline nears. Every shift brings an even louder ROAR. The downside? Well it looks exactly like the stock intake, except that there is now a gap between the filter and the VIAS portion of the intake. With 'short' ram, you can feel a slight loss of low RPM power, at least until it reaches 2,800rpms, thats when the rush starts.

How much did this cost me? NOTHING!!! Thats the BEST part, especially since I'm on a strick budget. I don't think anything go wrong with this set-up because it still uses stock parts and there's still a filter. I had OSCAI and it was no different in sound from the stock intake, but the tube that runs down to the bottom of the car is too long. This short-ram I ghetto'd made actually produces a 'V8' like sound.

Tools/Parts:
Scissors
Electric Tape
Insulation Tape
Less than 5mins

Try it out and reply, it will only take 5 mins and I hope you'll be satisfied because well I AM! I just can't wait until I clean my K&N filter and install it to see how loud it will be

I'm not good at giving directions so I am hoping to get pics soon. Or if someone has an idea what I'm talking about, it would be nice if you can explain it better!

For the budget minded folks who can't afford an aftermarket intake for now.
Old 08-09-2002, 02:49 PM
Maxima06071

interesting, I'm interested.
You didn't have to relocate any sensors or anything right?

Old 08-09-2002, 02:51 PM

Nope

I'm hitting myself right now because I should have came up with this WAY before I bought my Stillen Intake last year. Sold it though
Old 08-09-2002, 03:43 PM

No one's interested?
Old 08-09-2002, 03:52 PM
Maxima06071

Originally posted by ScreamingVQ
No one's interested?
I am; how do I do It?

Old 08-09-2002, 04:30 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

so let me get this straight
keep the stock air box
tape the K&N filter to the clean side of the air box
now u have gap on the top of the air box where the filter holder used to be

if u want to be extreme, punch holes on the dirty side of the air box so more air is drawn from the engine bay.

Seems like a no-cost HAI....but I would still pay 60 for the berk intake. I question will the electric tape survive hot temperature inside the engine bay.
Old 08-09-2002, 04:36 PM

With the hood open you:

1) Locate the Air-Filter and remove the filter along with the air-filter 'holder' (The peice with 2 silver clips that is attached with the Filter)

2) Remember how the air-filter was placed inside the retangular hole, the rippled part should be showing.

3) Look in the intake tube and find the metal screen (Next to the MAF)

Optional)Use weather insulation tape (That sticky foam stuff) on only the top part of the air-filters' outside seal.

4) Put the air-filter back into the retangular hole, again with the rippled part revealed.

5) Push the air-filter rearwards, or more towards the metal screen. The air-filter's outside seal should be flushed with the intake opening, or moved back far enough until it stops.

6) Take electrical tape and top just the top portion of the air-filter with the intake, making sure air or dirt can't get in anywhere else besides through the air-filter.

7) There should be about a 1 inch gap between the air-filter and the front half of the intake tube leading to the VAIS

Go ahead and start the car. You can't hear it at idle because it sounds so stock. Take it around the block and give it some gas and hear the roar

If you can complete this, maybe you can come up with better directions that I did. I think I'm going to make it look more professional and try to mount the air-filter with metal brackets this weekend. I'm goin cruising tonight just to hear it roar.
Old 08-09-2002, 04:39 PM

Originally posted by [maxi-overdose]
keep the stock air box

if u want to be extreme, punch holes on the dirty side of the air box so more air is drawn from the engine bay.

Seems like a no-cost HAI....but I would still pay 60 for the berk intake. I question will the electric tape survive hot temperature inside the engine bay.
No
Old 08-09-2002, 04:41 PM

keep the stock air box

If this is a HAI, no question the Berke is the same. Air is being sucked at the exact same location on both. The reason for this whole thread is for a cheap method for those an a budget. You go ahead and pay $60, I guess your not the one on a budget.
Old 08-09-2002, 04:48 PM

I just took some pics so some won't be confused by my directions. I hope the one hour photo shop isn't backed up.
Old 08-09-2002, 04:53 PM
Maxima06071

unlike me the guy on the budget. Ok I'll try this.

Old 08-09-2002, 05:07 PM
Maxima06071

I just took some pics so some won't be confused by my directions. I hope the one hour photo shop isn't backed up.
Yeah some photos would help me visualise the finished product.

Old 08-09-2002, 05:34 PM

Maxima06071: You beat me to it. I need to see this.
Old 08-09-2002, 05:39 PM

Photo's might be done before 9 which unfortunately is right at the time they close. I'm draw a visual picture until I get those pictures to help you guys out.
Old 08-09-2002, 05:42 PM

send me the pics at maximadriver@lycos.com.

Thanks.
Old 08-09-2002, 05:47 PM

Originally posted by MaxSEima
send me the pics at maximadriver@lycos.com.

Thanks.
Can you host it?

Sent
Old 08-09-2002, 05:56 PM

I hope this drawing is understandable :)

Old 08-09-2002, 06:03 PM
Maxima06071

Re: I hope this drawing is understandable :)

wicked X

Old 08-09-2002, 06:25 PM

Re: Re: I hope this drawing is understandable :)

Originally posted by Maxima06071
wicked X
Tell me what you think of it
Old 08-09-2002, 06:30 PM
Maxima06071

Oh I see it now.
so do I have to take the "front of intake" off?
do I bypass the resognator?

Old 08-09-2002, 06:35 PM

Originally posted by Maxima06071
Oh I see it now.
so do I have to take the "front of intake" off?
do I bypass the resognator?
No you can leave that on. You just have to basically remove the air-filter 'holder' (The box with two silver clamps/clips attached). It should look like the drawing above with the rippled side of the air-filter being visually seen.
Old 08-09-2002, 06:43 PM
Very sound, Mike

Ah, now i can see it. I can vouch for the growl since a similar thing happened to me a while back.

On my way home from the dealership (for service) for some reason they forgot to put the entire filter/holder back on. I noticed the car was running differently and it was rather noisy for about a mile, so i pulled over and lifted the hood up - to my surprise the filter/bracket was gone!

I was pretty scared driving back to the dealership w/o that danged filter.
Old 08-09-2002, 07:00 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by soundmike
Ah, now i can see it. I can vouch for the growl since a similar thing happened to me a while back.

On my way home from the dealership (for service) for some reason they forgot to put the entire filter/holder back on. I noticed the car was running differently and it was rather noisy for about a mile, so i pulled over and lifted the hood up - to my surprise the filter/bracket was gone!

Hey Mike, so I'm guessing you never installed the Frankencar intake because of the MAF problems? Welcome to the "wasted my money on an intake" club. I bought it for $155 shipped, then took it off. I sold the mid-pipe for $50. I still have the $100 Monsterflow filter. Any buyers?
Old 08-09-2002, 07:03 PM

Wow that sucks The growl is niceee even with the air-filter on
Old 08-09-2002, 07:24 PM

Originally posted by Tanman

Hey Mike, so I'm guessing you never installed the Frankencar intake because of the MAF problems? Welcome to the "wasted my money on an intake" club. I bought it for $155 shipped, then took it off. I sold the mid-pipe for $50. I still have the $100 Monsterflow filter. Any buyers?
Is the Monsterflow filter oil-based like K&N? I think I'll join the "wasted my money on an intake" club, too. Try out OSRI, if you don't like the results, bringing it back to stock is as EZ has 1,2,3
Old 08-09-2002, 07:33 PM
Very sound, Mike

Tan, your partly correct. It wasn't mainly for the MAF issue, t'was more of "I got laid-off and need the money" kinda thing

I'm also probably going to have to sell the Maxspeed's (still in closet) if worse things turns to worst.

Thing is, even my OEM radio stopped working. Won't get a replacement until September. So i might have to reroute some of my funds into getting a good headunit.
Old 08-09-2002, 07:55 PM
Clay Aiken has fancy genitals

ROFL at your drawing. I don't know why I am so amused by it....but I am.
Old 08-09-2002, 08:00 PM

Tan, your partly correct. It wasn't mainly for the MAF issue, t'was more of "I got laid-off and need the money" kinda thing

I'm also probably going to have to sell the Maxspeed's (still in closet) if worse things turns to worst.

Thing is, even my OEM radio stopped working. Won't get a replacement until September. So i might have to reroute some of my funds into getting a good headunit.
Did you sell the Frankencar?

I have my OEM head unit for the 2K non-bose unit. The cd player might not work (I jammed a screwdriver in there to rescue a CD I left in there after I removed the head unit. I was too lazy to connect it back to eject the CD), but you can have it if it fits.
Old 08-09-2002, 08:00 PM

Originally posted by asu174

ROFL at your drawing. I don't know why I am so amused by it....but I am.
It was a quickie drawing
Old 08-09-2002, 08:03 PM

Is the Monsterflow filter oil-based like K&N? I think I'll join the "wasted my money on an intake" club, too. Try out OSRI, if you don't like the results, bringing it back to stock is as EZ has 1,2,3
MF filter is "tackifying agent based". You spray this tackifying substance on it to seal some air holes and capture particles.

I had the Frankencar on for two weeks (actually 1 and 1/2) before I removed it. I won't need the OSRI, the Stillen SC pipe gets in the way .
Old 08-09-2002, 08:16 PM
Very sound, Mike

Yep, i did sell it to another member.

Thanks for the offer, but the CD issue was the first reason why i asked for a replacement. Then a couple weeks later the radio just wouldn't play anymore.
Old 08-09-2002, 08:17 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

If this is a HAI, no question the Berke is the same. Air is being sucked at the exact same location on both. The reason for this whole thread is for a cheap method for those an a budget. You go ahead and pay $60, I guess your not the one on a budget.
if u r the one on budget....get a civic instead of maxima you sound like getting a BMW but cant afford any food.

I tried to have some good discussion with you because I used to have OSCAI. and seems like you dun have a sense of quality concern. Will the electric tape survive high engine bay temperature? NOPE! Will there any substitude besides electric tape? when u r on ur way to think about performance at low/no cost....also think of someway that will not damage ur car.

and I already have a berk intake....thx
Old 08-10-2002, 06:52 AM

if u r the one on budget....get a civic instead of maxima you sound like getting a BMW but cant afford any food.

I tried to have some good discussion with you because I used to have OSCAI. and seems like you dun have a sense of quality concern. Will the electric tape survive high engine bay temperature? NOPE! Will there any substitude besides electric tape? when u r on ur way to think about performance at low/no cost....also think of someway that will not damage ur car.

and I already have a berk intake....thx
I'm still going to try to use the clips/brackets to hold the filter in, I just need to find a way to mount them to the air-filter. I understand that the electric tape will only last for about 1-2weeks before it is completly worn away. Keep in mind that I just did this and I do need some time to work in it so it'll look better. I posted about this so people who have a 2k-2k1 can have an idea to do something LIKE this or SIMILAR to this so they wouldn't have to spend more than a couple $1 bills. People who really can't purchase mods. I don't see how OSRI will damage the car? Your not drilling any holes, your just removing a peice, in this case the air-filter holder, so that air isn't being sucked in from the front tubing. All of the sensors are still in their respective locations. All of the air being sucked in is still going through the stock air filter so air is still being filtered, just like the stock unit, except its being sucked in at a shorter distance, similar to a short ram. Please explain? I'm really sticking behind OSRI and I would like some suggestions from you or anyone to make it better or look better.

I took your first reply as a smart *** one and I responded saying that this is for the folks on a budget, no flames. If you took my reply 'harsh' or not in a good discussion (Although I really don't beleive there was any discussion), I apologize.
Old 08-10-2002, 09:47 AM

i have a 2k2 ....think this would work on mine??? well im going to go try it right now, anyways...ill tell u guys if it worked or not....this thread made me anxious...
Old 08-10-2002, 11:33 AM

Originally posted by AzNx2k2xSEXima
i have a 2k2 ....think this would work on mine??? well im going to go try it right now, anyways...ill tell u guys if it worked or not....this thread made me anxious...
I've never took a close look at the 2k2-2k3's intake system. It would be great if you can do that and get back with 2k2-2k3 owners.
Old 08-10-2002, 11:55 AM

Umm, i hate to be a prty pooper, ut I don't really see how this will free up any noticeable air... You are basically removing the filter bracket and pushing the filter into the back of the stock airbox. So you have added an additional couple square inches of area for air to come through, at the top of the air box. It seems like a traditional OSCAI would work much more effectively. This just seems like a noise enhancing mod, and while that may be a goal for some (look at exhausts, thats just a noise enhancing mod), I wouldn't expect too much additional performance out of this...
Old 08-10-2002, 01:27 PM

Originally posted by Ironlord
Umm, i hate to be a prty pooper, ut I don't really see how this will free up any noticeable air... You are basically removing the filter bracket and pushing the filter into the back of the stock airbox. So you have added an additional couple square inches of area for air to come through, at the top of the air box. It seems like a traditional OSCAI would work much more effectively. This just seems like a noise enhancing mod, and while that may be a goal for some (look at exhausts, thats just a noise enhancing mod), I wouldn't expect too much additional performance out of this...
Thats the main idea of this mod, just for the sound. I've had OSCAI setup way before, and from what I can recall, stock vs. OSCAI vs. OSRI, there is really no noticable difference in performance, just sound quality of each.
Old 08-10-2002, 10:57 PM

aites... i did it to my 2k2....theres not much of a differnce in sound or performance....my car was straight piped if you exclude the 2 cats on the headers, i didn't hear crap for buh my exhaust, buh my exhaust is really loud...it did get rid of the vacuum sound at highRPM....i had more pressure going into the engine than comeing out(not after this mode though") i went back and put everything on, so its stock.... i noticed a little torque loss at low rpm buh i guess it made up for it a tad at high...not really noticable...one thing really noticable was going from a stop to WOT...noticable trottle response... and a very tiny roar from the intake around 3rpm...then it just turned into a little sucking sound, not a whisle...it also did give a little pssshhh...sound at shift....i liked that very much...thats about it thought ....a little trottle response and a pssh at the shift...
Old 08-11-2002, 10:40 AM

Originally posted by AzNx2k2xSEXima
aites... i did it to my 2k2....theres not much of a differnce in sound or performance....my car was straight piped if you exclude the 2 cats on the headers, i didn't hear crap for buh my exhaust, buh my exhaust is really loud...it did get rid of the vacuum sound at highRPM....i had more pressure going into the engine than comeing out(not after this mode though") i went back and put everything on, so its stock.... i noticed a little torque loss at low rpm buh i guess it made up for it a tad at high...not really noticable...one thing really noticable was going from a stop to WOT...noticable trottle response... and a very tiny roar from the intake around 3rpm...then it just turned into a little sucking sound, not a whisle...it also did give a little pssshhh...sound at shift....i liked that very much...thats about it thought ....a little trottle response and a pssh at the shift...
Guess the 2k2's stock intake is less restricted than the 2k-2k1 I do notice the trigger quick throttle response also.
Old 08-11-2002, 10:53 AM

I've done the same thing to my car, but I removed the resonator, and trimmed the filter holder so that it still holds the filter, and makes a nice growl. I can take pics if you guys want to see it.

Quick Reply: 2k-2k1 owners, How I got a Roar/Growl of aftermarket Intake from stock Intake :)