5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

3.5VQ HP Differences Between Models. MAF?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2002, 07:01 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

3.5VQ HP Differences Between Models. MAF?

We all know the HP Differences in the 6 or 7 models that have this engine has something to do with the ECU, Exhaust & Intake. With the ECU being 1 of the main areas of interest.
What about the MAF it’s self.
As I have posted before the Frankencar diameter is smaller than the TB. But this will make no difference at the moment because the MAF is smaller than the Frank. While replacing the stock airbox this weekend, so I can take the car to the dealer this week for the SES I have, I noticed this as I looked at the MAF through the Frank.
I know the O.D. of the TB is 80mm and the I.D. is 72mm. I didn't have a caliper at the time I did the swap but I estimate the MAF is about 10mm smaller than the TB.
Depending on the size of the TB in the Z & Alty coupled with the timing and fuel map in the ECU this could be more than enough to cover a large part of the 47hp spread. As I haven't seen the exhaust on the Z I don't know what kind of gains are possible there.
Could someone check the part numbers for the TB and MAF?
Old 08-12-2002, 07:44 AM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

the ID of the MAF is 2.76 inches. and in order to change out the maf's ID and still have it get an accurate signal you would have to adjust the ECU to compensate for the larger volume of air that it's now measuring. me and SR20DEN talked about this one day.
Old 08-12-2002, 07:48 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Re: 3.5VQ HP Differences Between Models. MAF?

Originally posted by maximaman777
We all know the HP Differences in the 6 or 7 models that have this engine has something to do with the ECU, Exhaust & Intake. With the ECU being 1 of the main areas of interest.
What about the MAF it’s self.
As I have posted before the Frankencar diameter is smaller than the TB. But this will make no difference at the moment because the MAF is smaller than the Frank. While replacing the stock airbox this weekend, so I can take the car to the dealer this week for the SES I have, I noticed this as I looked at the MAF through the Frank.
I know the O.D. of the TB is 80mm and the I.D. is 72mm. I didn't have a caliper at the time I did the swap but I estimate the MAF is about 10mm smaller than the TB.
Depending on the size of the TB in the Z & Alty coupled with the timing and fuel map in the ECU this could be more than enough to cover a large part of the 47hp spread. As I haven't seen the exhaust on the Z I don't know what kind of gains are possible there.
Could someone check the part numbers for the TB and MAF?
I think most of the power gains in the G35 and 350Z are from a completely difference intake manifold. According to Emax and a couple others who have viewed an exploded figure of the G35/350Z VQ and part numbers, the G/Z don't have variable intake manifolds. The G/Z setup seems tuned for 3500-6500 rpm power where as the Maxima is tuned more for 2500-5500 power. The G/Z most likely have less restrictive exhaust manifolds (they almost look like headers). There could definately be some difference in the MAF size between the Max and G/Z, but I would think that if you were to run a larger MAF, the ECU would get confused with the different readings between the TB and MAF. I think you could get away with this in the 4th gen, but the 2k2 5th gens seem to be a bit touchy when the air flow characteristics are changed.

Dave
Old 08-12-2002, 09:39 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: 3.5VQ HP Differences Between Models. MAF?

Originally posted by Dave B

I think most of the power gains in the G35 and 350Z are from a completely difference intake manifold. According to Emax and a couple others who have viewed an exploded figure of the G35/350Z VQ and part numbers, the G/Z don't have variable intake manifolds. The G/Z setup seems tuned for 3500-6500 rpm power where as the Maxima is tuned more for 2500-5500 power. The G/Z most likely have less restrictive exhaust manifolds (they almost look like headers). There could definately be some difference in the MAF size between the Max and G/Z, but I would think that if you were to run a larger MAF, the ECU would get confused with the different readings between the TB and MAF. I think you could get away with this in the 4th gen, but the 2k2 5th gens seem to be a bit touchy when the air flow characteristics are changed.

Dave

Yes they have different intake manifolds but the G is at 260hp. Not much more than us. With a much need ECU update anyway would this work?

Also do you have access to the codes for the Max. The code I have is P1456.

Thks,
Adam