5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

anyone wanna trade 2k2 tailights for 2kse?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2002, 07:42 AM

anyone wanna trade 2k2 tailights for 2kse?

does any one with a 2k2 tail want to trade me your tails for my 2k se tails? they are in perfect condition.. i'm getting my car painted right now so i wanted to get some 2k2's and open them up so the body shop can paint the inside of my tails to match my body color.
Old 08-14-2002, 03:20 AM

Re: anyone wanna trade 2k2 tailights for 2kse?

Originally posted by mingo
does any one with a 2k2 tail want to trade me your tails for my 2k se tails? they are in perfect condition.. i'm getting my car painted right now so i wanted to get some 2k2's and open them up so the body shop can paint the inside of my tails to match my body color.
From what I've read here, you probably WON'T be able to crack the lenses open to paint them from the inside. Seems like those who have tried wound up melting or warping their lenses..

I have read that some have painted the outsides, but if your paint color is light, you may have to prime the lenses to prevent the smoke color from showing.
Old 08-14-2002, 04:50 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

You will not be able to crack them. I tried this weekend. There is no play at all with these. As soon as you touch the crack with a screw driver the lens just snaps. Now I have a big peice missing from my edge.

I was thinking about calling courtesy and seeing if we can order the lights in peices, so we can do what we want then seal them ourselves.
Old 08-14-2002, 10:48 AM

thanx a bunch for the reply.. i guess i won't be doing that mod then =D
Old 08-14-2002, 01:53 PM

Originally posted by mingo
thanx a bunch for the reply.. i guess i won't be doing that mod then =D

WAIT! HERE'S THE ANSWER! (maybe)

Drill a hole into the clear portion of the lens from one of the sides. Then pour your paint into it! Swirl the lens around, drain excess paint, then blow air into the hole to dry.

If the lens sections are indeed seperate (you need to verify this), you won't paint the wrong parts (the lit sections), and you won't need primer.

Of course, you would still need to get a set of clear tails to try this..
Old 08-14-2002, 02:17 PM

Originally posted by pvaudo

WAIT! HERE'S THE ANSWER! (maybe)

Drill a hole into the clear portion of the lens from one of the sides. Then pour your paint into it! Swirl the lens around, drain excess paint, then blow air into the hole to dry.

If the lens sections are indeed seperate (you need to verify this), you won't paint the wrong parts (the lit sections), and you won't need primer.

Of course, you would still need to get a set of clear tails to try this..
hahahahah i'll leave that to someone else.