5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

nitake resonator???

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2002, 05:31 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

nitake resonator???

ok i was wondering, ive noticed a lot of talk about intakes and stuff like that...mainly the intake resonator ive been reading about is what im thinking of, and was wondering if my 2k1 GLE has an intake resonator and where it is and how if possible do i remove it?
thanks ahead or time
Old 08-13-2002, 05:40 PM

Check out my homepage, page 4. The resonator is where the red pipe is now. The resonator is the big square box in between the t-body and mass air, with the hose that goes to the valve cover. I got some 3" PVC from Home Depot, and used about a 3" section to replace the resonator, I also bought a 3" PVC coupler to mate the pipe to the throttle body. If you take the resonator off the car, you will hear a louder growl, and prolly pick up a couple HP. You will either have to install a crankcase breather filter on the valve cover, or install a nipple on the pipe to re-install the breather hose. I opted to install the breather filter, because you don't want all those hot crankcase vapors warming up the incoming air.
Old 08-13-2002, 09:13 PM

is this the same...

Originally posted by 2K2_6spd
Check out my homepage, page 4. The resonator is where the red pipe is now. The resonator is the big square box in between the t-body and mass air, with the hose that goes to the valve cover. I got some 3" PVC from Home Depot, and used about a 3" section to replace the resonator, I also bought a 3" PVC coupler to mate the pipe to the throttle body. If you take the resonator off the car, you will hear a louder growl, and prolly pick up a couple HP. You will either have to install a crankcase breather filter on the valve cover, or install a nipple on the pipe to re-install the breather hose. I opted to install the breather filter, because you don't want all those hot crankcase vapors warming up the incoming air.
alright thats cool, but one question, is this the same on the 2k-2k1s as it is on the 2k2s? and if i remove the resonator, where can i pick up and breather that FITS, i was about to add one of those but the one i got wouldnt fit....and whats is the cost in doing this? how much for the breather and pipe replacement piece and for the couplers? thanks a lot for your help with this! by the way, i noticed you have also done the OSRAI but you have modded your holder to still hold the filter, how did ya do that? ive also done that "mod" and its great, great sound! just dont have any pics on my sight yet, check it out if you want, click homepage.
Old 08-13-2002, 09:28 PM

Yes, the airboxes are the same, I got the right size breather at Checker, it was like $10.00.
Old 08-13-2002, 11:02 PM

I've tried to find a breather that fits also. no luck so far. I've seen a lot of 4th gen'ers with em and you're the first 2K2 I've seen with it. Can a 2K or 2K1 member share where they got their breather and how much.

I have a 2K if it its different from the 2K1 or 2K2

Please state how often it needs maintaining? (clean/replace whatever it is)

thankz
woosh
Old 08-13-2002, 11:11 PM

how about...

Yes, the airboxes are the same, I got the right size breather at Checker, it was like $10.00.
how about the piece of pipe and the couplers? how much did those run you? and about what size piping do i need to get like length wise and all that? i might do this 2morrow if i can get all my costs and parts specs down b4 then.
thanks
matt
Old 08-14-2002, 06:15 AM

Well, the $hitty part is that I had to buy a 10ft piece of PVC, but it was only $5.00, and the coupler was $3.00. I still have like 9ft of pipe left. You might have some luck at a plumbing supply store to try getting a smaller piece. As far as the filter holder goes, I trimmed it with a die grinder to hold the filter in, yet let extra air in. I noticed better torque, and no difference in top end power, compared to the short ram I used to have. It's just a whole lot quieter.
Old 08-14-2002, 09:24 PM

ok...now what?

Well, the $hitty part is that I had to buy a 10ft piece of PVC, but it was only $5.00, and the coupler was $3.00. I still have like 9ft of pipe left. You might have some luck at a plumbing supply store to try getting a smaller piece. As far as the filter holder goes, I trimmed it with a die grinder to hold the filter in, yet let extra air in. I noticed better torque, and no difference in top end power, compared to the short ram I used to have. It's just a whole lot quieter.
ok i see the intake resonator on my 2k1...only i dont see how i can remove it without adding a couple nipples onto the pipe. on my 2k1 there is not just the valvecase breather line running into that little black box...there are 3 hoses running into it...one is the breather hose and the other 2 are i just dont know....if i had a pick i would show ya what i mean...so how do i remove this on my 2k1? what do i do with the other hoses? if anyone has a pick of a stock 2k1 air intake system and knows what im talkin about please post it...i really wanna take out the resonator and add a piece of pipe to it, but i just dont know what i can do about those other hoses. and how hard is adding nipples to the piece of PVC? i will do that if i have to. but anyway...please help me out on this.
thanks
matt
Old 08-15-2002, 02:52 AM

help anyone??

is anyone out there able to help me out on this? removal of intake resonator on a 3.0 5th gen....help! read above
thanks
Old 08-15-2002, 04:44 AM

you should make me one!!!

heheehehehehe