5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Anybody Ever Race a '00 Celica Sports model?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2000, 01:41 PM

Last night a '00 Celica was reving (sp) me out and I just laughed. He had exhaust, intake and thats all I could hear. So, he drove off slow and as soon as he made the turn on the hwy he pounded it so hard it sounded like it was screaming for help. I gave chase anyway, but the light for the other side had turned green and I got the red. I ended up getting on the hwy behind a slow *** grandma. Needless to say, I overtook the grandma and quickly caught up with this Celica GTS and this B**** brake checked me. Can you belive that?
Old 12-14-2000, 02:43 PM

careful

They can be very fast if driven like they are supposed to, specially if they are mod'd. If you have a stick and with mods you can take him, just don't ease up, let'em have it.
Old 12-14-2000, 02:46 PM

Re: careful

Originally posted by Maxx-s-ter
They can be very fast if driven like they are supposed to, specially if they are mod'd. If you have a stick and with mods you can take him, just don't ease up, let'em have it.
Yes I do have a manual transmission, my question is why would you get a sports model like the SE with auto?
Old 12-14-2000, 03:27 PM

Re: Re: careful

Originally posted by CIRCO
Yes I do have a manual transmission, my question is why would you get a sports model like the SE with auto? [/I]

Uhhhhhh.... you'd be surprised how many people have an SE auto.... If you have the 5sp, good for you, there are a lot of guys who regret not getting the 5sp. There is nothing like shifting WOT right below redline with a perfect shift, knowing the it's your accomplishment, Not some computer that does all the work for you.
Old 12-14-2000, 03:33 PM
TX2KSE

Re: Re: Re: careful

Uhhhhhh.... you'd be surprised how many people have an SE auto.... If you have the 5sp, good for you, there are a lot of guys who regret not getting the 5sp. There is nothing like shifting WOT right below redline with a perfect shift, knowing the it's your accomplishment, Not some computer that does all the work for you. [/I]
I'm in 100% agreement with this statement. I have an SE auto. I wanted the 5spd. I still wish I could have gotten the 5spd. I HATE how autos shift. Every time I drive and the computer does something stupid in the shifting, my every thought at that moment is "I could have done it WAY better, you stupid computer!" Circumstances wouldn't allow me to get the 5spd. BUT, SE Auto is still WAY better than no Max at all, right?

Old 12-14-2000, 03:48 PM
Got Bent?

I wish I had a 5 speed sometimes. But, the ridiculous amount of traffic and rush hour driving here makes a manual transmission a disadvantage. A stick would have definitely been more fun, but oh well....It is still a Maxima
Old 12-14-2000, 03:53 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: careful

Circumstances wouldn't allow me to get the 5spd. BUT, SE Auto is still WAY better than no Max at all, right?
Like you dont have a left leg or somthing???

Adam
Old 12-14-2000, 04:05 PM
QUANSUNG

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: careful

Originally posted by 2000MaximaSE
Circumstances wouldn't allow me to get the 5spd. BUT, SE Auto is still WAY better than no Max at all, right?
Like you dont have a left leg or somthing???

Adam
hey i love that bush ad you made.

Old 12-14-2000, 04:09 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: careful

Originally posted by TX2KSE
Uhhhhhh.... you'd be surprised how many people have an SE auto.... If you have the 5sp, good for you, there are a lot of guys who regret not getting the 5sp. There is nothing like shifting WOT right below redline with a perfect shift, knowing the it's your accomplishment, Not some computer that does all the work for you.
I'm in 100% agreement with this statement. I have an SE auto. I wanted the 5spd. I still wish I could have gotten the 5spd. I HATE how autos shift. Every time I drive and the computer does something stupid in the shifting, my every thought at that moment is "I could have done it WAY better, you stupid computer!" Circumstances wouldn't allow me to get the 5spd. BUT, SE Auto is still WAY better than no Max at all, right? [/I]
Yes no max at all would be very BAD! Nah! but you do point something out, one advantage of auto is not being able to totally burn your clutch out in the first 20K, from staging the Max everytime someone calls you out!
Old 12-14-2000, 04:11 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: careful

Originally posted by QUANSUNG
[/I][/QUOTE]hey i love that bush ad you made. [/I][/QUOTE]
Thanks, i got it from some website, and its staying up for the next 4 years! or untill cheney has a fatal heart attack and bush is left without guidance and has to resign.

Adam
Old 12-14-2000, 04:18 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: careful

one advantage of auto is not being able to totally burn your clutch out in the first 20K, from staging the Max everytime someone calls you out! [/I][/QUOTE]

So you replace it with a performance clutch and lightweight flywheel, Now you have a tranny that can handle as much power as you can trow at it. What can you do to an auto tranny will make it stronger? (the VB mod just makes it shift crispier).
Old 12-14-2000, 04:34 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: careful

one advantage of auto is not being able to totally burn your clutch out in the first 20K, from staging the Max everytime someone calls you out!
So you replace it with a performance clutch and lightweight flywheel, Now you have a tranny that can handle as much power as you can trow at it. What can you do to an auto tranny will make it stronger? (the VB mod just makes it shift crispier). [/I][/QUOTE]

Yes, but you will be spending the same if not more than the auto option...hey what the hell are you doing? I am an advocate for the 5spd I have a 5spd! I am happy!
Old 12-14-2000, 04:56 PM

Re: Re: Re: careful

Actually, a 5SP would be awesome if we lived in the perfect world... A world with no traffic lights, traffic, etc...

I happen to live in the BIGGEST CITY of the MOST DENSELY POPULATED STATE in the USA!! go figure..

The thought of getting the SE 5spd crossed my mind, BUT, I'm GLAD I went with the auto, because

#1. It curbs my crazy/dangerous racing impulses... It's like a disease, and you have to admit that... If I were ever at a red light ALONE !gasp! I would find like an old lady walking down the street, and rev my engine, calling her out to a race down the next block!! The Maxima auto is a step in the right direction, but nothing like quitting cold turkey!!

#2. I would be silently cursing at myself every morning, and afternoon, when I had to "ROW" through traffic..

#3. There is no #3... you guys with 5Spd's rock on....

Originally posted by CIRCO
Yes I do have a manual transmission, my question is why would you get a sports model like the SE with auto?

Uhhhhhh.... you'd be surprised how many people have an SE auto.... If you have the 5sp, good for you, there are a lot of guys who regret not getting the 5sp. There is nothing like shifting WOT right below redline with a perfect shift, knowing the it's your accomplishment, Not some computer that does all the work for you. [/I]
Old 12-14-2000, 07:46 PM

auto here:(

#3 would be I couldn't wait forever to get my max. i wanted 2001 sterling mist SE w/C&C package only. Waited a month and then they ran those ads during the baseball playoffs showing my s/m SE flying through the desert. i know it was a 5 speed, but I was driving a 92 Corolla before and couldn't hold out any longer. I was weak
Old 12-15-2000, 12:44 AM

yeah, i needed a car right away but didn't want to settle for a cloth interior w/ no options...i wanted a 5spd and still do, but i also wanted leather, side airbags, bose, etc. etc. more...i regret not waiting, but then again, i needed the car...however, I AM WILLING TO TRADE anyone w/ a 5spd that doesn't like it
Old 12-15-2000, 06:37 AM

Re: careful

Ive raced them at the track (GTS model) and its damn close. I just barely beat the one I raced and it was stock. I must have had 3 cars by the 1/8th mile, but he was pulling me big time up top. If the race was another 10 feet in length, I would have lost.