5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

How do I get my exhaust to spit flame?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2002, 07:56 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

How do I get my exhaust to spit flame?

Like on GT race cars and on The Fast and The Furious movie, when they were revving up at the start of the first big race, they all had flames coming out of their exhaust. How do I get that effect on my car? I currently have the stock muffler, but I plan to upgrade to the Greddy or Apex'i.
Old 08-16-2002, 07:58 AM

Feed it some beans! Joking aside, wasn't there a group deal for some kit that allows you to do this...?
Old 08-16-2002, 08:02 AM

its been my understanding that you just have to run a fuel line and a spark plug to your tips and have a toggle switch to tun them on. have the spark plug fire with one of your cylinders and voila, fire out the tail pipes...
Old 08-16-2002, 08:03 AM

Originally posted by big h
Feed it some beans! Joking aside, wasn't there a group deal for some kit that allows you to do this...?
What kind of kit is it? Is it safe to use? Do they have different colors available, or only natural flame? I don't want to burn my rear bumper or damage the exhaust. Details please!
Old 08-16-2002, 08:05 AM

Originally posted by Ironlord
its been my understanding that you just have to run a fuel line and a spark plug to your tips and have a toggle switch to tun them on. have the spark plug fire with one of your cylinders and voila, fire out the tail pipes...
So you actually have to set it up to do this? I thought maybe it was a natural result of too much power, like something causing the exhaust gases to light up and flame. I'd guess this is sort of dangerous, what if the gases get trapped or flow back and the flame burns inside your engine .
Old 08-16-2002, 08:13 AM

Originally posted by Tanman

So you actually have to set it up to do this? I thought maybe it was a natural result of too much power, like something causing the exhaust gases to light up and flame. I'd guess this is sort of dangerous, what if the gases get trapped or flow back and the flame burns inside your engine .

BOOM!!!
Old 08-16-2002, 08:15 AM

yeop the spark plug in the tail light does work.. anothe reason why they spit out fire is because of their timeing, the exhaust valve opens up a lil early and they don't have a cat to burn any excess fuel off so out comes the fire.
Old 08-16-2002, 08:16 AM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

I hope you guys are kidding...

Why?

Anyways, yes you have to set it up, because cars nowdays do not run rich enough for the exhaust to actually ignite with just a spark.

In the "old" days they used to just run the car WAY rich(too much fuel, thus ends up in the exhaust) and then have a spark plug or ignitor of somesort that caused the flame to occur.

Nothing to do with "too much power" PURELY cool factor.
Old 08-16-2002, 08:23 AM
Maxima06071

Try this, you need a test pipe though. Bee-RAnd this one actually helps protect your engine!

Old 08-16-2002, 08:23 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

I wonder if running a straight pipe and cranking up the fuel pressure would make it work?

No, I'm not going to try this.
Old 08-16-2002, 08:29 AM
Maxima06071

Then there's this one at 99 bucks,Autoloc Flame thrower

Old 08-16-2002, 08:33 AM

Originally posted by Y2KevSE
I wonder if running a straight pipe and cranking up the fuel pressure would make it work?

nope...we tried it wiht my bro's car, nothing but black smoke
Old 08-16-2002, 08:47 AM
Clay Aiken has fancy genitals

Re: How do I get my exhaust to spit flame?

Like on GT race cars and on The Fast and The Furious movie, when they were revving up at the start of the first big race, they all had flames coming out of their exhaust. How do I get that effect on my car? I currently have the stock muffler, but I plan to upgrade to the Greddy or Apex'i.
You had your panties in a bunch for over 6 months about putting the Y Pipe on your car because of "environmental issues". Yet, you want your exhaust to shoot flames? Talk about the duality of man.....
Old 08-16-2002, 09:44 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Y2KevSE

yup, it does.....I saw it on discovery channel's monster garage. they took a mustang 5.0 and removed the cat and muffler. u can see little spark coming out of the pipe. a good show to watch....the convert that mustang into a high speed grass mower.

I would like to get my exhaust to spit flame too.....I bet no one will tailgate me ever.

just wondering, I read about the Bee R thingy....and what's the benefit of this so called "mis-firing" simulation?
Old 08-16-2002, 10:52 AM

Re: How do I get my exhaust to spit flame?

I just wanted to thank you since I got an great laugh just by reading the subject of this thread. Whether or not you are serious...it just made me laugh out loud.
Old 08-16-2002, 10:56 AM

Re: I hope you guys are kidding...

Originally posted by IceY2K1

In the "old" days they used to just run the car WAY rich(too much fuel, thus ends up in the exhaust) and then have a spark plug or ignitor of somesort that caused the flame to occur.

Yeah, I was just watching the WRC (rally) on TV and those pugeot's and WRX's were spitting flames while shifting...but not all the time. I think if you're running rich, like in a race car, and you have basically open headers, it's a lot easier to get that good ol flame!
However, I can't see the purpose of having your maxima do this...unless you want to get pulled over real quick...or melt your bumper.
Old 08-16-2002, 10:57 AM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

Originally posted by [maxi-overdose]

just wondering, I read about the Bee R thingy....and what's the benefit of this so called "mis-firing" simulation?
Besides destroying your cat, throwing MILs, and making a lot of noise, it will cause fuel to build up in the exhaust system and once it reaches a hot enough temperature or ignition source, it will BACKFIRE and might show some flamage at night.

Again, you guys are NUTS!
Old 08-16-2002, 11:17 AM

Originally posted by Ollie

BOOM!!!
lol...sorry
Old 08-16-2002, 01:25 PM

This is without a doubt the stupidest mod I can think of.

We are all a little dumber for having read about it.
Old 08-16-2002, 01:29 PM

Originally posted by jjames

it's cool, and it does just as much as thsoe cool blue bulbs of alot of us buy
Old 08-16-2002, 01:36 PM

Ahem...I do NOT buy blue bulbs. I'm just fuqn with ya. I know it's cool. Not real practical, but kinda cool.

Would blue bulbs be considered ric.....j/k

Hey, anyone konw if you can put 245 45 17 on stock 17x7 rims? j/k

Originally posted by mingo
it's cool, and it does just as much as thsoe cool blue bulbs of alot of us buy
Old 08-16-2002, 01:40 PM

Ahem...I do NOT buy blue bulbs. I'm just fuqn with ya. I know it's cool. Not real practical, but kinda cool.

Would blue bulbs be considered ric.....j/k

Hey, anyone konw if you can put 245 45 17 on stock 17x7 rims? j/k

nope. that's too wide. or at least i think it'de be too wide.. minimum rim width for 245/40-18 is 8" so i would thing u'de need 17x8
Old 08-16-2002, 01:45 PM

LMFAO
Old 08-16-2002, 03:09 PM

I can't believe there is a tread about this, I thought it was a joke. Now I am starting to understand why people equate import of any kind with being a ricer. Flames out the tailpipe=ricer.
Old 08-16-2002, 03:20 PM

Re: Re: How do I get my exhaust to spit flame?

Originally posted by asu174

You had your panties in a bunch for over 6 months about putting the Y Pipe on your car because of "environmental issues". Yet, you want your exhaust to shoot flames? Talk about the duality of man.....
Touche!
Old 08-16-2002, 03:34 PM

Listen, if your seriously considering this mod make sure your car is real fast, I mean really fast. Imagine lining up next to someone at a traffic light, you hit the throttle shooting out an impressive display of fire....then the car your lined up next to just walks you.
Old 08-16-2002, 03:59 PM

Originally posted by NuJerseyDrive
Listen, if your seriously considering this mod make sure your car is real fast, I mean really fast. Imagine lining up next to someone at a traffic light, you hit the throttle shooting out an impressive display of fire....then the car your lined up next to just walks you.
then you shout out the window "my car is broken" i wonder if the bumper would catch on fire after constant revs.
Old 08-16-2002, 04:22 PM

Re: Re: How do I get my exhaust to spit flame?

Originally posted by asu174

I'm close to getting the y-pipe installed, but now the RT cat group deal is falling apart, so I don't know anymore. I'm also close to getting the Greddy catback or HKS with custom B-pipe to complete my exhaust mods.
Old 08-16-2002, 04:27 PM

Hehehe glad to brighten your day with this goofiness . No, I'm not serious about getting this done, I was just curious about what causes it on race cars.

I've always wanted a way to demonstrate the power of my car at a light or in the parking garage. I'd love to do a burn out, but I think the flaming exhaust would be cool too.
Old 08-21-2002, 12:28 PM
Maxima06071

Hehehe glad to brighten your day with this goofiness . No, I'm not serious about getting this done, I was just curious about what causes it on race cars.

I've always wanted a way to demonstrate the power of my car at a light or in the parking garage. I'd love to do a burn out, but I think the flaming exhaust would be cool too.

Yeah that would be interesting, the other guy would be like "Tight S***
What are you runnin'" and you could say "oh nothing man, this all can stock"

Old 08-21-2002, 12:31 PM

Originally posted by Maxima06071

Yeah that would be interesting, the other guy would be like "Tight S***
What are you runnin'" and you could say "oh nothing man, this all can stock"
That's what I'm sayin' man, flaming exhaust would be da bomb. All the ricers would be goin as well as all the domestics. And I got something under the hood to back it up, so why not.
Old 11-04-2002, 07:58 PM
+COLLANA+

flamethrower mod

the great flame thrower mod...

this is IT for those of you who want to scare the ricers off

Old 11-04-2002, 09:16 PM

whoever does this take a pic.....please
Old 11-04-2002, 09:30 PM
+COLLANA+

I will

it's going to be my Christmas present.

I'll ask my GF

Old 11-05-2002, 03:53 AM

You guys need to get up to Wildwood, NJ for the car shows they have a couple of times a year. Flame-throwing contests are always part of the official Saturday evening program.

The really serious competitors drape the backsides of their cars with fire blankets.

[edit]This past fall's event, one guy couldn't get his flames to SHUT OFF ! ! !

Norm
Old 11-05-2002, 06:34 AM

What kind of kit is it? Is it safe to use? Do they have different colors available, or only natural flame? I don't want to burn my rear bumper or damage the exhaust. Details please!
Watch some professional drag racing sometime and see what happens when fuel ignites somewhere else other than the cylinders. It's called a massive explosion.

Buzz
Old 11-05-2002, 08:01 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Norm Peterson
You guys need to get up to Wildwood, NJ for the car shows they have a couple of times a year. Flame-throwing contests are always part of the official Saturday evening program.

The really serious competitors drape the backsides of their cars with fire blankets.

[edit]This past fall's event, one guy couldn't get his flames to SHUT OFF ! ! !

Norm
Or instead, come in here, post a dumb thread, and watch that flame-throwing contest!
Old 11-05-2002, 11:53 AM

You guys are so damn funny. Love the graph, that's classis...laugh:

Man, if you think the cops pull you over for blue leds in your washer nozzels, shoot a couple feet of flame out the back of the car. Maybe the paint will melt and cover up and rock chips/scratches

Originally posted by 2K2_6spd

I can't believe there is a tread about this, I thought it was a joke. Now I am starting to understand why people equate import of any kind with being a ricer. Flames out the tailpipe=ricer.
:
Old 11-05-2002, 12:32 PM

This was a joke thread .
Old 11-05-2002, 09:05 PM

too funny lol

Quick Reply: How do I get my exhaust to spit flame?