5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Custom car audio install kits

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2002 | 09:07 PM

Custom car audio install kits

Does anybody has this install kit in a 5th gen Max? Any pics of your installation?

I've seen the Crutchfield one and, IMO, it doesn't look good, since it doesn't match the textures/colors of the rest of the dash. This one makes such promise but it is hard to see it from such small pic.
Old 08-20-2002 | 09:46 PM
Very sound, Mike

I've got one.

Close-up of the kit
2-DIN Configuration
DIN+Pocket Configuration

It's not very clear from the photo above but it's not an exact color-match with the 2k2 interior. It's actually slightly off but still a lot better than the black kits i've seen. Plus the texture is very similar to the dash.

Btw, inspite of what the Sounddomain page shows, the kit sold is the NN1494B. Similar but the 2DIN opening's is built into the face - as shown in my photo's above (their photo shows one gigantic opening with trims for a 1 or 2DIN config).
Old 08-20-2002 | 10:07 PM

I agree, it looks MUCH BETTER! Thanks for the pics. I would like to fit this in my dash...

Maybe just removing that middle part that separates the 2 DIN spaces would work...
Old 08-21-2002 | 04:54 AM
Blu
the tits

damn that looks good just need a pocket. Did you paint it to match the ac vent.

Originally posted by soundmike
I've got one.

Close-up of the kit
2-DIN Configuration
DIN+Pocket Configuration

It's not very clear from the photo above but it's not an exact color-match with the 2k2 interior. It's actually slightly off but still a lot better than the black kits i've seen. Plus the texture is very similar to the dash.

Btw, inspite of what the Sounddomain page shows, the kit sold is the NN1494B. Similar but the 2DIN opening's is built into the face - as shown in my photo's above (their photo shows one gigantic opening with trims for a 1 or 2DIN config).
Old 08-21-2002 | 04:57 AM
Very sound, Mike

Originally posted by blubyu2k2
damn that looks good just need a pocket. Did you paint it to match the ac vent.
It comes with the pocket and nope i didn't paint it. Came that way
Old 08-25-2002 | 01:00 PM

that looks like you've got it to match the lighter grey interior. do they offer a kit in black to match the charcoal interior?

i just bought the same deck ( i think that's an alpine 7894 in your pic right?) from crutchfield and i agree with GimmeTorq, i don't think it's as nice as the scosche kit. altho i don't mind the texture so much. but your kit fits so snugly around the bezel. my crutchfield kit leaves a gap even with the factory bezel still on.

btw, how does the factory bezel come off? i was tooling around with it a bit but didn't want to force the issue since i was going to use it anyhow.
Old 08-25-2002 | 03:48 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Custom car audio install kits

Originally posted by GimmeTorq
Does anybody has this install kit in a 5th gen Max? Any pics of your installation?

I've seen the Crutchfield one and, IMO, it doesn't look good, since it doesn't match the textures/colors of the rest of the dash. This one makes such promise but it is hard to see it from such small pic.
http://images.cardomain.com/installs...48_30_full.jpg

I have the factory one. I know you asked specifally for the one on sounddomain, but in case you havent seen the factory one. And, its an exact match, the only problem is, its more expensive.
Old 08-25-2002 | 04:30 PM

Re: Re: Custom car audio install kits

Originally posted by cwally

I have the factory one. I know you asked specifally for the one on sounddomain, but in case you havent seen the factory one. And, its an exact match, the only problem is, its more expensive.
nice. much better execution than the aftermarket ones i think. how much is the oem kit? if it's reasonable, i'll prolly be giving daveb a call on monday.

also, i'm assuming you can switch the pocket and the din opening right?
Old 08-25-2002 | 05:10 PM
Mauja He Mauja

i have the SOCHE..

Old 08-25-2002 | 05:23 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Re: Custom car audio install kits

Originally posted by serin

nice. much better execution than the aftermarket ones i think. how much is the oem kit? if it's reasonable, i'll prolly be giving daveb a call on monday.

also, i'm assuming you can switch the pocket and the din opening right?
I don't remember how much the kit was, but I think it was about $80. I am not sure, but I do remember a thread where someone posted what they paid. You can switch the pocket up or down, or you can not put a pocket and maybe do a double din?...
Old 08-25-2002 | 06:31 PM
Very sound, Mike

that looks like you've got it to match the lighter grey interior. do they offer a kit in black to match the charcoal interior?
I only know of this kit, it's not even a perfect match but it's easier to get used to than the one from Crutchfield.

Yep it's a 7894, best $290 bucks i ever spent on audio equipment! Even without messing with treble/bass/time correction/etc the thing sounds awesome!

There was a post recently with photo's on disassembly of the thing, it's not as hard as you think.
Old 08-25-2002 | 08:43 PM

Re: Re: Custom car audio install kits

Originally posted by cwally

It seems the vents and the double DIN kit is all one piece, right? It looks, well, factory Very nice indeed...
I think it all just comes down to price between factory and the scosche kit, since both look very decent.
Thanks all for the pics.
Old 08-26-2002 | 06:47 AM

If any of you want to get the factory dash kit, here's one for sale on Ebay. It's missing the pocket, but that may be a good thing for some of you.
2000 Nissan Maxima Headunit/Radio Kit
Old 08-26-2002 | 08:31 AM

btw, i have an extra crutchfield dash kit that's up for grabs. it's got the pocket built into the lower half with two trim rings for a single din receiver. they sent me a replacement since one of the trim rings was warped. i didn't need the ring anyway.
they didn't want the kit back since it was out of the packaging so i'm offering it up to any maxima driver who wants it. just pay me for shipping or if you're in the Los Angeles area, you can pick it up.
Old 08-26-2002 | 08:47 AM

I have the same kit as Serin up for sale, I live in Chicago. If anyone wants it on the East Coast my shipping may be cheaper to them.
Okay Serin you take west of the Mississippi, and I'll take East.
Old 08-26-2002 | 11:08 AM

Hey serin, I would like to take your kit. Where do you live?

Doh, I was just near Chino a couple days ago. How much you think shipping would be? Thanks.
Old 08-26-2002 | 11:16 AM

Originally posted by hawk
Hey serin, I would like to take your kit. Where do you live?

Doh, I was just near Chino a couple days ago. How much you think shipping would be? Thanks.
well, i live in chino but work in downtown LA. if you're inclined to pick it up, it's yours for free.

if we can't meet up, send me your zip code and i'll let you know how much. shouldn't cost a lot since it's reasonably light... but a tad bulky.
Old 08-26-2002 | 11:50 AM

I am at UCLA and Torrance. zip is 90025

Thanks a lot man. What head unit did you put in your car?

well, i live in chino but work in downtown LA. if you're inclined to pick it up, it's yours for free.

if we can't meet up, send me your zip code and i'll let you know how much. shouldn't cost a lot since it's reasonably light... but a tad bulky.
Old 08-26-2002 | 12:53 PM

Originally posted by hawk
I am at UCLA and Torrance. zip is 90025

Thanks a lot man. What head unit did you put in your car?

alpine 7894

i can send it priority usps without ins for ~$4.50
but if you're at ucla, i can just meet up with you sometime since i'm on the westside a couple times a week.
Old 08-27-2002 | 01:13 PM

sorry...didn't really want to bump it up.

serin, can you please e-mail me at terryyu@ucla.edu to work out a time/place? I am free pretty much all week this week. Thanks again.

alpine 7894

i can send it priority usps without ins for ~$4.50
but if you're at ucla, i can just meet up with you sometime since i'm on the westside a couple times a week.