5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

torque braking

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2002, 09:15 AM

torque braking

What is torque braking and how does it improve the performance in a race?
I have an auto so does this even apply to me?

Thanks in advance

Nice
Old 08-21-2002, 09:16 AM

Re: torque braking

Originally posted by nice95GLE

Thanks in advance

Nice
Ya I need to learn this too
Old 08-21-2002, 09:22 AM

Re: torque braking

Originally posted by nice95GLE

Thanks in advance

Nice
you hold one foot on the brake as hard as you can and give it as much gas as it can handle without moving. Then you release the brake and floor it. Supposedly this should give you a better take off.
Old 08-21-2002, 09:42 AM
VQ Wizard

It's really called 'stalling' the torque converter has a 'stall' point. What RPM does your torque converter stall?
Old 08-21-2002, 10:32 AM

Brake torqueing works best on Automaitc RWD cars because it allows you to get the tires to the poinr where they are almost spinning at launch. This happens because most of your braking force is on the front wheels. It's kinda like revving a manual trans car, before dumping the clutch.

In FWD cars it is a little less beneficial because your front brakes are holding the wheels. However, when done properly you can rev near to your engine's sweet spot, then when you let go of the brake, there is no lag, you instantly launch.

Think of it like this: Turbo guys have lag, so they rev to get boost before launch. Autos have lag, so your revving to get your engine at the optimal launch RPM just like a manual.
Old 08-21-2002, 10:54 AM

Because of torque steering does the car pull to one side when you let go of the brake?
Old 08-21-2002, 11:04 AM

If both wheels have similar traction it will not pull one way or the other. Remember, you're not trying to peel out, necessarily. You just want to launch as hard as you can without spinning the tires too much. While spinning them is fun, you don't really go anywhere when you're doing it. You really experience torque steer when accelerating when cornnering the most. Straight line acceleration isn't too bad.
Old 08-21-2002, 11:20 AM

Is there a certain RPM to rev it to before letting go of the brake? If so, what is it? ~2100?
Old 08-21-2002, 11:29 AM

I have a little better understanding of torque braking but there are some things that are still a little fogy. Think I will rent a car and play with it some more.
Old 08-21-2002, 11:35 AM

I don't know what RPM to leave off at in a Auto Maxima since I have a 2k2 6sp. You will have to experiment with it a bit. The car will try to move harder with the more gas you give it. If you let go and the wheels spin, you revved too high. A little spin is okay, but you don't wanna smoke em'! You'll probably hear the tires squeal for mercy as they struggle for traction. Practice makes perfect.

FYI: Drag racers do the same thing, except they have a feature called "Line Lock" that locks the brakes for them so they don't have to push the pedal. Then when they launch, the release the lock.
Old 08-21-2002, 12:11 PM

can this shorten the life of the transmission?
Old 08-21-2002, 12:21 PM

I don't know if anything we do to our cars is actually good for them. The RPMs we are talking about aren't very high, and aren't held for that long. Autos are designed to slip, hence the smooth accelerations and shifting. There is virtually no difference between sitting at a light idling as you are basically torque braking at 700 RPM instead of 2000-3000 RPM. I wouldn't worry about it damaging the trans as you don't do it very often. If you are at the drag strip, you'll have to do it to get good 60' times in an auto.

Before you go rent a car, just try it. Get in yours and hold your left foot firm on the brake. Apply gas with your right foot till lets say 1500 RPM and let go. You'll feel it. Work your way up till your tires squeal, but don't spin. Its easy to do. You auto guys just have to get used to using your left foot!
Old 08-21-2002, 12:59 PM

Originally posted by 2002Maxxxima
I don't know what RPM to leave off at in a Auto Maxima since I have a 2k2 6sp. You will have to experiment with it a bit. The car will try to move harder with the more gas you give it. If you let go and the wheels spin, you revved too high. A little spin is okay, but you don't wanna smoke em'! You'll probably hear the tires squeal for mercy as they struggle for traction. Practice makes perfect.

FYI: Drag racers do the same thing, except they have a feature called "Line Lock" that locks the brakes for them so they don't have to push the pedal. Then when they launch, the release the lock.
You sound very knowlegeable about launches! I too have a 2k2 6spd, and have recently gone to the track for my first time. What did you find was the best way to launch our 'beasts'!
Old 08-21-2002, 01:27 PM

Originally posted by SR20DEN
It's really called 'stalling' the torque converter has a 'stall' point. What RPM does your torque converter stall?
like 2200~ the 2k2 might be higher
Old 08-21-2002, 02:04 PM

Originally posted by dino1063

You sound very knowlegeable about launches! I too have a 2k2 6spd, and have recently gone to the track for my first time. What did you find was the best way to launch our 'beasts'!
I haven't been to the track yet to race my 2k2 6sp. But I have a good friend who has been there in other cars. He's taught me a lot about drag racing, so apply those secrets to street racing (when applies). The strip is a lot stickier than regular streets so launching there will be a lot different. In fact, usually, the track is so sticky that you won't be able to just rev and dump the clutch. You may have to feather it out a just a bit. My first try would be around 3k probably. You'll have to get a feel for it during staging.

As you know, on the streets, you can spin the wheels very easily. The best launch you can have will make a squealing noise, but won't really be spinning the tires that much. It's fun to burn second and chirp third and fourth, but you're not really gaining any thing by doing that. During a good race, if you feather the clutch just a little, and smoothly apply that power to the ground, you will be faster than if you just pop it. Kinda like Anti-lock brakes do for stopping, if you know what I mean.
Old 08-21-2002, 02:08 PM

I haven't been to the track yet to race my 2k2 6sp. But I have a good friend who has been there in other cars. He's taught me a lot about drag racing, so apply those secrets to street racing (when applies). The strip is a lot stickier than regular streets so launching there will be a lot different. In fact, usually, the track is so sticky that you won't be able to just rev and dump the clutch. You may have to feather it out a just a bit. My first try would be around 3k probably. You'll have to get a feel for it during staging.

As you know, on the streets, you can spin the wheels very easily. The best launch you can have will make a squealing noise, but won't really be spinning the tires that much. It's fun to burn second and chirp third and fourth, but you're not really gaining any thing by doing that. During a good race, if you feather the clutch just a little, and smoothly apply that power to the ground, you will be faster than if you just pop it. Kinda like Anti-lock brakes do for stopping, if you know what I mean.
I think 3000 is kind of high. I been to the track a couple of times and it is really hard to launch it there. I think perfect RPMs would be around 2200-2300. I havent' mastered it yet, but working on it.
Old 08-21-2002, 02:14 PM

I think 3000 is kind of high. I been to the track a couple of times and it is really hard to launch it there. I think perfect RPMs would be around 2200-2300. I havent' mastered it yet, but working on it.
...I think it depends on how you drop the clutch. If you just let it out, you're gonna spin, but if you feather it out 3k might do good. You want to have enough RPMs going when you finally get that baby moving.

Keep in mind when I say feathering, I am not riding the clutch, but merely letting it out a tad slower than dumping. I think you know what I mean.
Old 08-21-2002, 02:28 PM

...I think it depends on how you drop the clutch. If you just let it out, you're gonna spin, but if you feather it out 3k might do good. You want to have enough RPMs going when you finally get that baby moving.

Keep in mind when I say feathering, I am not riding the clutch, but merely letting it out a tad slower than dumping. I think you know what I mean.
I was using stock tires as well. I found that I couldn't really punch the gas until 2nd gear. Just too much torque for those tires! I think that the 'feathering' idea is the most appropriate.
Old 08-21-2002, 03:21 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Yea I think brake torquing in a RWD car like my dads G35 is better. It launches better than my car ever will, but I do think it makes a pretty good difference at the track. Aftermarket tires adn wheels are a must though. The wider the better.