5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.
View Poll Results: Where to place nitrous bottle so people see it?
On the front armrest
12.50%
On the rear deck (no Bose sub)
12.50%
Hanging from the middle backseat ceiling
37.50%
Mounted in the middle of the backseat
37.50%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Where to place nitrous bottle so people see it?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2002, 05:56 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Where to place nitrous bottle so people see it?

I want to get nitrous (probably 35-45HP shot), but I don't want to hide the bottle in the trunk. I mean, if you're going to do something that cool, you want people to see it, right?

So my question is, where should I have the bottle installed so people can see it and fear it?
Old 08-23-2002, 06:03 PM

Re: Where to place nitrous bottle so people see it?

Originally posted by Tanman
I want to get nitrous (probably 35-45HP shot), but I don't want to hide the bottle in the trunk. I mean, if you're going to do something that cool, you want people to see it, right?

So my question is, where should I have the bottle installed so people can see it and fear it?
Outside the car; maybe on the hood.

Seriously though, somewhere in the back so they can see it when you zip by!
Old 08-23-2002, 06:12 PM

Re: Re: Where to place nitrous bottle so people see it?

Originally posted by soopermax02

Outside the car; maybe on the hood.

Seriously though, somewhere in the back so they can see it when you zip by!
Look if you're not going to give useful suggestions, please don't clutter the thread. I'm looking for realistic suggestions.
Old 08-23-2002, 06:13 PM
Clay Aiken has fancy genitals

I would rip out the rear seat center armrest and mount it behind plexiglass with a blacklight. You would be able to access it to fill it from the trunk.

Or you could mount it in the front seat where the ricers keep their gay fire extinguishers.
Old 08-23-2002, 06:14 PM

By the way, are you being serious about hanging it from the ceiling? How the hell are you going to run the hoses? That would look ghetto. As would the rear deck. Keep it away from windows for heat purposes.

And a 35-45 shot? I have no experience with nitrous, but from my understanding, you won't even feel it. Get a 60-75......
Old 08-23-2002, 06:16 PM
Very sound, Mike

is the S/C not satisfying your need for speed?
Old 08-23-2002, 06:18 PM

Originally posted by asu174
By the way, are you being serious about hanging it from the ceiling? How the hell are you going to run the hoses? That would look ghetto. As would the rear deck. Keep it away from windows for heat purposes.
Yeah, I thought about how I was going to run the hoses, but I'm sure I can route them along the sides of the ceiling and maybe cover them with neon strips so they light up at night. Hanging from the ceiling would make it most visible while also keeping it out of direct sunlight.
Old 08-23-2002, 06:21 PM

Originally posted by soundmike
is the S/C not satisfying your need for speed?
Well, my primary goal is to be able to beat my coworker's C5 Corvette. Even with the SC, I can't beat him. A bunch of guys here are going with the SC and nitrous and making 325+ HP at the wheels. I'm hoping that's enough to beat the corvette.

Asu174: most of the SC guys are using 35-45 shot nitrous. I'm not sure if using a higher shot will be safe. If it is, I can get larger injectors\solenoids and go with a larger shot.
Old 08-23-2002, 06:24 PM

Unless you plan on investing some money for custom moulding, any of your suggestions will look very ghetto......IMO

What about completely replacing the center armrest and having a car stereo shop fabricate a new housing for the bottle?
Old 08-23-2002, 06:25 PM

Unless you plan on investing some money for custom moulding, any of your suggestions will look very ghetto......IMO

What about completely replacing the center armrest and having a car stereo shop fabricate a new housing for the bottle?
I don't think it will be visible enough, plus I don't want to lose the center seat. If I hang it from the ceiling right above the middle armrest, whoever sits there might lose some headroom, but at least the seat is still available.
Old 08-23-2002, 07:18 PM
Sly

Have you thought about occupant safety at all?!! I'm not even talking about the risk of a leak in the passenger compartment. How about simply having a big heavy metal object in the passenger compartment in a crash situation. If you mount it high, I can almost guarantee somebody's head is going to hit it. If you mount it low, there's less risk but at least make absolutely certain it's anchored properly. Your best option, if you really want to do this, is mount it to the floor behind the driver seat and use a blow down tube.
Old 08-23-2002, 07:28 PM

How bout some mirror action?

This way mount it in the trunk but have some mirrors above the rear deck so people could see it?

Personally, I wouldn't want that type of attention, especially from the law.
Old 08-23-2002, 07:34 PM

Originally posted by Sly
Have you thought about occupant safety at all?!! I'm not even talking about the risk of a leak in the passenger compartment. How about simply having a big heavy metal object in the passenger compartment in a crash situation. If you mount it high, I can almost guarantee somebody's head is going to hit it. If you mount it low, there's less risk but at least make absolutely certain it's anchored properly. Your best option, if you really want to do this, is mount it to the floor behind the driver seat and use a blow down tube.
Hey thanks for the concern, I'll keep it in mind to be careful. Again, I want it to be visible to other drivers, so behind the driver's seat isn't a good choice. Also, it would take up leg room and pretty much make the rear seat behind the driver useless.
Old 08-23-2002, 07:38 PM

Originally posted by theMax
How bout some mirror action?

This way mount it in the trunk but have some mirrors above the rear deck so people could see it?

Personally, I wouldn't want that type of attention, especially from the law.
I really want the nitrous bottle visible to other drivers for maximum effect, so the mirrors idea isn't probable.

One reason I want people to see it is to discourage them from wanting to race me. That will save gas, make life a little less dangerous, and that will keep me safe from the law in the long run.
Old 08-23-2002, 08:26 PM

I really want the nitrous bottle visible to other drivers for maximum effect, so the mirrors idea isn't probable.

One reason I want people to see it is to discourage them from wanting to race me. That will save gas, make life a little less dangerous, and that will keep me safe from the law in the long run.
You have a really weird way of looking at things.......
Old 08-23-2002, 08:36 PM

Actually, I was thinking you sort of think like me, react to stuff the way I do, and get in messes like I do (from your other posts).

My friend was at the light in his Civic hatchback and this guy pulls up next to him and revs his engine and looks over. My friend just reached over and switched the radio or AC controls like he was turning on the nitrous (which he doesn't have), and the other guy waves off the race like he knows better. They both drive off and at their own pace, race averted.
Old 08-23-2002, 08:37 PM

Why isn't anyone answering the poll? I really want some feedback about this.
Old 08-23-2002, 08:43 PM
It's chrome alright...

Nobody is answering the poll because the whole ****ing topic is asinine. Stick a 10 pound bottle that can kill if it hits someonein the head, filled with gas that can kill you if it leaks inside the passenger compartment?

Read any nitrous stuff and it'll tell you if you put the bottle in a hatchback you have to vent it outside. How are you going to do that if it's on the dash or hanging from the ceiling?

Why isn't anyone answering the poll? I really want some feedback about this.
Old 08-23-2002, 08:45 PM

Originally posted by 2k2wannabe
Nobody is answering the poll because the whole ****ing topic is asinine. Stick a 10 pound bottle, filled with gas that can kill you, inside the passenger compartment?

Read any nitrous stuff and it'll tell you if you put the bottle in a hatchback you have to vent it outside. How are you going to do that if it's on the dash or hanging from the ceiling?
What needs to be vented? If it sits in the trunk, how is it getting vented then?

In the movie "The Fast and the Furious", all those guys had NOS bottles in their back seat or even under the front seats. I'd think that'd be more dangerous, unless you had the sunroof open.
Old 08-23-2002, 08:49 PM
Lightly modded

i also think having it visible for the sole purpose of discouraging racing is sort of a bad idea. both for safety reasons and for not drawing attention from the law. i would answer the poll, but i dont think any of the ideas are very safe. i know you probably didnt wanna hear this, but.....just do what your friend did and fake turning on NOS, or just get some stickers( ) that say NOS, and that should help stop the ricers...if you wanna beat the C5, just keep it in the trunk and play it safe. it will make sitting in the back seat much more comfortable too.
Old 08-23-2002, 09:08 PM

Re: Re: Re: Where to place nitrous bottle so people see it?

Look if you're not going to give useful suggestions, please don't clutter the thread. I'm looking for realistic suggestions.

you wrote an UNREALISTIC thread...expect it.
Old 08-23-2002, 09:19 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Where to place nitrous bottle so people see it?

Originally posted by JSpecMax

you wrote an UNREALISTIC thread...expect it.
What's unrealistic about it? I'd think a nitrous bottle pretty much anywhere in the car is dangerous, so why not in the cabin? Have you seen the movie I mentioned earlier. I'm sure people have their's set up the same way. If you want unrealistic, check your sig.
Old 08-23-2002, 09:20 PM
It's chrome alright...

http://www.google.com/search?q=blowdown+tube+nitrous

Pick one... here's an example.

Q: Where do I mount the bottle?
A: Preferably in the trunk. The bottle should be mounted rigidly away from a crumple zone. In other words, not near the taillights but behind the rear seat. Hatchbacks with bottles containing compressed gas must have a blowdown tube routed underneath the car; in case of failure the gas vents out of the vehicle, not in it.

What needs to be vented? If it sits in the trunk, how is it getting vented then?

In the movie "The Fast and the Furious", all those guys had NOS bottles in their back seat or even under the front seats. I'd think that'd be more dangerous, unless you had the sunroof open.
Old 08-23-2002, 09:22 PM

Originally posted by 95maxrider
i also think having it visible for the sole purpose of discouraging racing is sort of a bad idea. both for safety reasons and for not drawing attention from the law. i would answer the poll, but i dont think any of the ideas are very safe. i know you probably didnt wanna hear this, but.....just do what your friend did and fake turning on NOS, or just get some stickers( ) that say NOS, and that should help stop the ricers...if you wanna beat the C5, just keep it in the trunk and play it safe. it will make sitting in the back seat much more comfortable too.
Sorry, my purpose isn't entirely to discourage racing, I just added that to discourage anyone who thinks I want to display the nitrous bottle just to impress people.

As far as faking it with switches or stickers, that's ricey .
Old 08-23-2002, 09:32 PM

hahaha, i agree.
Old 08-23-2002, 09:33 PM
It's chrome alright...

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Where to place nitrous bottle so people see it?

I saw a movie about a car that could travel through time, too.

IT'S A ****ING MOVIE! IT'S NOT REALITY!

Know what? How about tomorrow morning you call the local cops (don't dial 911) and ask them what they think. Is it legal in your area to mount a nitrous tank in any of the ways listed in your poll. Let us know after you call.

What's unrealistic about it? I'd think a nitrous bottle pretty much anywhere in the car is dangerous, so why not in the cabin? Have you seen the movie I mentioned earlier. I'm sure people have their's set up the same way. If you want unrealistic, check your sig.
Old 08-23-2002, 09:40 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I could be mistaken, but I believe that it's illegal in most jurisdictions to run nitrous on the street. If I'm correct, advertising it in front of the local gendarmerie is . . . well . . .
Old 08-23-2002, 09:49 PM

I would vote in your poll but you need to put another option:

5. It's a dumb idea!
Old 08-23-2002, 10:32 PM

Originally posted by y2kse
gendarmerie
I love your vernacular.
Old 08-23-2002, 10:45 PM

Originally posted by y2kse
I could be mistaken, but I believe that it's illegal in most jurisdictions to run nitrous on the street. If I'm correct, advertising it in front of the local gendarmerie is . . . well . . .
I think it's ok if the cops check it and the bottle is disconnected. I'd leave it disconnected, but since it's right there, if I did need it for a race, I could connect it easily.
Old 08-23-2002, 10:50 PM

Re: Re: Re: Where to place nitrous bottle so people see it?

Wow, you’re serious. That's not a very good idea in my mind. It places the occupants of the car in front of a missile. Not because I think the bottle would blow up, but because imagine what would happen if you slipped around a corner and hit something? That bottle would knock your brains out.

Why go through all the trouble of installing it, if the purpose is to avoid having to get into situations where one might use it? Just mount it in your trunk and your corvette friend would be much more impressed, I'm sure.
Old 08-24-2002, 01:28 AM

Well, so far, the poll is agreeing with me that the best place is hanging from the ceiling above the middle rear seat. That was my choice (I didn't vote in the poll).

I don't sit in the back seat, so I'm not too worried about hitting my head on the bottle. I'd cover it with a bottle heater and some foam, to make it safer for passengers.

My point isn't to impress the corvette guy, but to put him to shame. I want to see him balk when I challenge him to a race after he sees my nitrous bottle. Man what a great feeling that would be!
Old 08-24-2002, 02:20 AM

This just may be the most retarded thread i have ever read next to all the russ i just beat a cl's threads...

Adam
Old 08-24-2002, 03:26 AM

Re: Where to place nitrous bottle so people see it?

if 'showing' is the main thing..then i guess the rear armrest spot would be good!
Old 08-24-2002, 03:27 AM

Well, so far, the poll is agreeing with me that the best place is hanging from the ceiling above the middle rear seat. That was my choice (I didn't vote in the poll).

I don't sit in the back seat, so I'm not too worried about hitting my head on the bottle. I'd cover it with a bottle heater and some foam, to make it safer for passengers.

My point isn't to impress the corvette guy, but to put him to shame. I want to see him balk when I challenge him to a race after he sees my nitrous bottle. Man what a great feeling that would be!
I have it dude! First you buy 2 NOS bottles then you buy one of those Beer hats you know where u can drink the beer from the hat. Well then you hook up the NOS to the hat where the beer would be, and you wear it while you drive. That way you dont have to worry about it swinging around and knocking out all the chicks that you're gana get. And ever one can see because its on your head. This will all so cut down on price because you wont need a cut on switch as you can just reach up and turn the **** on the bottle itself. Let me know how it goes if you do this first. I might have to get one myself. Good luck. YFI
Old 08-24-2002, 04:23 AM

i would not recomend you mounting the bottle from the ceiling.. even if you drilled holes and mounted it with bolts or welded, during a colision the boltz would most likely tear out of the ceiling because it's very thin metal and the bottle will become a very very big and heavy projectile. if there's a perosn sitting in the back and you got rear ended, be prepared to sit in jail, because his family can sue you like crazy, i'm sure he'll get decapetated. the best way and the safest way to "show" your nitrous set up is to hook up a purge valve. if the people don't know what that fog shooting out vigorously from your hood, showing them a nitrous bottle wouldn't help them either, they'll probably think it's just some stupid scuba tank or fire extinguisher. if anything it would be best to mount the bottle in the arm rest hole and make a cover over it so if needed a third person can sit in the middle in the back seats.
Old 08-24-2002, 06:52 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by jrflanman

I have it dude! First you buy 2 NOS bottles then you buy one of those Beer hats you know where u can drink the beer from the hat. Well then you hook up the NOS to the hat where the beer would be, and you wear it while you drive. That way you dont have to worry about it swinging around and knocking out all the chicks that you're gana get. And ever one can see because its on your head. This will all so cut down on price because you wont need a cut on switch as you can just reach up and turn the **** on the bottle itself. Let me know how it goes if you do this first. I might have to get one myself. Good luck. YFI

come on seriously....your thinking of mounting a nos tank from the ceiling so it can be visible by other cars....why do you just get those ricey sticker that say 'powered by nos' or something across your car if you wants cars to know you have nitrous
Old 08-24-2002, 07:41 AM

Get nailed or get burned which one to choose...

No flame but this is what I would though of it, first if you install the Nitrous bottle in the car and make it visible the cops will see it and you will get nail for this, secundo what about the passenger security, if the bottle leak or is being crush during a car crash you will all get baddly burn if not calcinate in case of fire, so the best place to put the bottle is in the back trunk no where else but you have the choice get burned or get nailed it's up to you.

Cheers

AA
Old 08-24-2002, 08:32 AM

Put it in the trunk where it's supposed to go, you don't want a 30lb object in the passenger compartment, plus you need to plumb the blow down tube too.
Old 08-24-2002, 09:51 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

I guess two things never occured to Tanman:

1) Simple physics dictate that the 40lb nitrous becomes a blunt 400-500lb projectile in a 40mph wreck. SO pretty much anyone's head that's in the way will be crushed. No joke.

2) When did displaying a nitrous bottle become a deterent to racing? If anything, it's going to beg people for a race. Here's a novel idea. When someone tries to instigate a race, why don't you just back down? Is your confidence that low that you must prove yourself at every light?

Dave

Quick Reply: Where to place nitrous bottle so people see it?