5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

INJEN Review after 500+ miles (long)

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2002 | 06:36 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

INJEN Review after 500+ miles (long)

Well when I 'first' installed the Injen I was not impressed. After coming from the Frankentake to the Injen I expected immediate improvement. I found that the 2k2 has a serious learning curve when it comes to mods. It took almost 500 miles for the ECU to re-map the needs of the motor.

Review: I like it. It has the top end ability of the Frankencar intake without the low-end bog that I had with the Franken. I had a big problem with the car bogging down after 45 minutes of traffic in 95+ degrees & 70% humidity. At first I thought the Injen did not have the top end ability of the Frankentake but now the car climbs the RPMs just as fast as it did with the Frankentake.

The bottom end is much improved as well as the mid range. The bog is totally gone and the car responds quicker, allowing for a quicker hole shot. Note that this is all from a butt dyno, but I do notice better performance from this intake.

I wanted to do a dyno with the Frankentake then put on the Injen and dyno that as well. With the learning curve, this would be impossible to get an equal test bed. I do still have the Frankentake and may keep it. I like the sound under the hood and the top end performance in cooler air is good. Although, the Injen may get that much better then too.

All in all, the Franken and the Injen are both good intakes, it just comes down to driver preference.

Sorry this is soooo long, but a lot of people have been batting this issue around.
Old 08-23-2002 | 08:27 PM

Thanks for the info. If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for the Injen and where did you order yours from?
Old 08-23-2002 | 09:36 PM

Re: INJEN Review after 500+ miles (long)

Originally posted by dblrr900
Review: I like it.
Sweet. Just came back from my trip to Northern Cali to find my blue injen waiting for me. I'll have that puppy in by the end of the weekend!
adventon.com is where I got mine, they seem to have the best deals. $225 for color.
Old 08-23-2002 | 10:18 PM

Re: INJEN Review after 500+ miles (long)

The bottom end is much improved as well as the mid range. The bog is totally gone and the car responds quicker, allowing for a quicker hole shot. Note that this is all from a butt dyno, but I do notice better performance from this intake.
I couldn't agree more. Especially about the response...my throttle response has been vastly improved. I've also had both the Frankencar and now my Injen.

Tony
Old 08-23-2002 | 10:48 PM
Clay Aiken has fancy genitals

$225? Uh...thanks, but I'll stick with my $100 FrankenBerk.
Old 08-24-2002 | 01:34 PM

I think I got mine right after the new price increase. I paid $218 and something for shipping. It was worth it to me. My car drives much better now. Not that it was harrible with the Franken, but it just comes out of the hole much quicker now.

DrVOLK - Give it a couple weeks to adjust, it will not be great at first, but with the good air up there in OR, you should love it when it comes around.
Old 08-24-2002 | 02:04 PM
Da Roller Coaster!

Any hole sawing in the fender for this CAI? Nice to know there is no low-end lag...my girlfriend has been complaining about the lag I get with the Stillen Intake. You know it's bad when your gf starts complaining.

Old 08-24-2002 | 06:31 PM

no holes needed. That is why I bought it.

Here is a link with pics.

http://www.greghome.com/Greg's%20Garage/2002MaxSE/ColdAir.htm
Old 08-24-2002 | 08:03 PM

Its an awesome intake. Worth every penny for looks, gains, and sound.
Old 08-24-2002 | 11:28 PM

I will hand it to you that the intake does look very nice.

Dixit
Old 08-25-2002 | 03:11 AM

Originally posted by asu174
$225? Uh...thanks, but I'll stick with my $100 FrankenBerk.
Go right ahead..and when you pay your $500 for your new MAF...

Just kidding dude, we all have our prefs.

I don't mind paying a litte extra for a quality product. If I wanted a short stack, I'd go for the frank too. However, I had an AEM cai on my GSR and I loved it...at that time I also coulda gone for the cheaper short stack...but the extra $$ pays off in the long run.

I'll be putting on my blue injen tomorrow. I'll try and post some pics, since I haven't seen any blue ones yet..(I doubt I'm the first).
The air in OR is GREAT. It's the middle of summer and my temp guage read 58 degrees on the way home tonight! LOVE IT!
Old 08-25-2002 | 07:23 AM
Da Roller Coaster!

I looked at adventon.com and there are 3 types for the 2000 Max. What's the difference between GXE, SE, and SLE (GLE?). I thought they would be the same intake for all 2000 models?
Old 08-25-2002 | 10:48 AM

Quick question

Where is the source of cold air for the injen?
Old 08-25-2002 | 11:07 AM

I want one! But how hard is the install? I odn't want to break the MAF or anything.
Old 08-25-2002 | 11:08 AM

Originally posted by foodmanry
I looked at adventon.com and there are 3 types for the 2000 Max. What's the difference between GXE, SE, and SLE (GLE?). I thought they would be the same intake for all 2000 models?
They're the same. I'm not sure why they did it that way.

The intake takes its cold air from the bottom of the engine compartment, just about the plastic guard.
Old 08-25-2002 | 12:19 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Put mine in yesterday...

I put in my polished yesterday.
Unbelievable! I could not believe the difference in sound.
I think I agree the the ECU will take some time adjusting, but right now, in my auto it revs all the way through the powerband til redline in 2nd and 3rd now - it did not before. A friend (blubyu2k2) told me this behavior in the auto but I admit I was skeptical.
If you accelerate normally (not WOT) you barely hear a difference, BUT
when you punch it, it jumps and the sound sounds like you've awakened a beast. My car just turned into a sleeper for those that that even know the Max's ponies. I don't mean to say it's neck breaking or anything but definitely a different level of torque.

Best mod I've done. May actually be the last for awhile.

About installation. I did not unplug the battery or the MAF as far as the electrical system knows nothing has changed. It took me about an 1 1/2 hours and I'm **** about organization under a hood - everything slow and deliberate. Even took pics throughout so if I do have to put the stock box back in, it would be a no-brainer.

Biggest sticking points - just a little bit harder and/or more attention to detail):

- getting the 3" sleeve over the TB
- gettting the tube down behind / below the radiator (hint - angle under the battery and the rotate for the bracket.
- attaching the bracket behind the dipstick.
- in an auto make sure you rotate the down tube toward the battery enough to clear the auto shift cable (looks like a tubular accordian). You do not want these touching.

Other than that no issues and I am very happy.
I don't have the pics posted, but I can if anyone wants to see them. They are not as detailed as Greg's - I wasn't trying to do a how-to.

Shaydz
Old 08-25-2002 | 12:20 PM
92 SE-R 02 SE

anyone know which CAI for the max is the best? The Place racing one mounts in a completly different location right? I like this one because no cutting is involved...
Old 08-25-2002 | 12:47 PM

This install is so easy. If you have any technical compitence at all you can do it within an hour. The hour inmcludes unpacking it and starring at it for about 15 minutes. It really is a pretty intake...

The sound is louder than stack by far, but much quieter than the Franken, at least from the cabin. I went through the Tunnel on the PA turnpike and I was shocked at how loud the intake was in there. The angle of the tube puts the sound beneath the car so you cant hear it in the cabin, but when you are up on a jersey wall or in a tunnel, WOW, it is loud.

I recommend this intake to anyone that wants looks and performance.

I also installed the Adco Rear Sway Bar this morning. WOW, mahor difference in handling. I was so skeptical when I would hear people talk about it and say it was all in their heads. Well I just did a few laps around my area with some hard corners, and it is definitely noticable. Another good buy for $115 shipped.
Old 08-25-2002 | 02:34 PM

Opinions requested.

Will the ECU also have to adjust in the 6sp? If so, is it better to just drive normally, or jump on it at every opportunity (which actually might be normal ...)

Wouldn't be a good thing to get a bypass valve, or is it protected from the water enough?
Old 08-25-2002 | 04:00 PM

Originally posted by SkyDaver
Opinions requested.

Will the ECU also have to adjust in the 6sp? If so, is it better to just drive normally, or jump on it at every opportunity (which actually might be normal ...)

Wouldn't be a good thing to get a bypass valve, or is it protected from the water enough?
Every ECU is different and from what ive heard it seems 2k2's seem to take a little longer. Normal driving would probably be best. The filter is plenty protected from water as long as you dont plan to drive through a large amount of standing water. Thats the only thing I would worry about. MichaelAE took his through an auto car wash which washed the undercarraiage as well and he said that his filter only got a tiny bit damp.
Old 08-25-2002 | 06:59 PM

Originally posted by SkyDaver
Opinions requested.

Installed my Blue Injen today. Wow...

Everything everone has said is right on. Took me about an hour, not a problem at all. I put the tools I used on the manifold to show everyone how basic it is.

Took it out for a spin. Not as annoying as my AEM on my GSR, a lot lower sounding. Very cool.

Can't wait to drive it around a little this week and break it in!
Old 08-25-2002 | 07:05 PM

Originally posted by DrVolkl

Installed my Blue Injen today. Wow...

Everything everone has said is right on. Took me about an hour, not a problem at all. I put the tools I used on the manifold to show everyone how basic it is.

Took it out for a spin. Not as annoying as my AEM on my GSR, a lot lower sounding. Very cool.

Can't wait to drive it around a little this week and break it in!
Very nice, looks good!
Old 08-25-2002 | 09:18 PM

d@mn i have to get this thing now... too many xcllnt testimonies
Old 08-26-2002 | 06:36 AM

dblrr900, you said your car didn't adjust to the intake for 500 miles? Did you unplug the MAF and the battery on the install? I thought normaly on startup the MAF would read the new intake and start a new curve or something. Also is anyone concerned the Injen pipe will get hot since it's steel, not insulated and it's sitting in the engine?
Old 08-26-2002 | 06:45 AM

Yes it took a while to learn the new Mapping. Yes I disconnected the MAF, no I did not disconnect the battery. That was pointless. The 2k2s dont reset like that, they only reset after 200 miles or so or @40-50 restarts. The ECU has some sort of static memory that will not die when you unplug the battery. A lot of people have tried to kill the power but it just doesnt work that way.

Yes it gets hot, but still not as hot as the others that sit in the top of the engine. I have been looking at getting that heat wrap from Summit racing. They sell a good wrap that blocks the heat out. To at least cover the lower arm that is getting blasted by the radiator fans.
Old 08-26-2002 | 07:12 AM

Do you guys think that the piping of the intake getting hot from long periods of driving would somehow affect the performance of the car? Plus does anyone have the instructions on the install for a 2001 SE?
Old 08-26-2002 | 09:07 AM

Filter...

How often do you think you'll have to clean/replace the filter? (and when you replace it, do you have to use Injen filters, or is K&N OK?)

This is the first intake I would actually consider!!

Now I have to make a choice... tint my windows, or Injen.... man these kinds of choices make you go CRAZY!!!
Old 08-26-2002 | 09:13 AM

It is a standard pipe so you can use just about any filter you want. The Injen looks just like the K&N filter. Prolly is just an OEM version of the K&N filter.
Old 08-26-2002 | 12:35 PM

It is a standard pipe so you can use just about any filter you want. The Injen looks just like the K&N filter. Prolly is just an OEM version of the K&N filter.
I didnt like the Injen filter at all, so I put a bigger one on. The injen was a pretty small filter. Krazyd, I doubt that extended driving would affect the performance of the car at all due to the fact that when you're moving air is flowing all through the engine bay and the temperature really goes down. They send instructions with it, which arent great, but they work. Its really not a hard install at all.
Old 08-26-2002 | 12:50 PM

I'm still debating whether I should spend the money on this intake. It would be my first performance mod. I've been very weary of touching anything on my engine b/c i've heard that the dealerships will give crap if you bring your car in for service like if you have problems or anything. I just don't want to blow a MAF or anything.
Old 08-26-2002 | 12:54 PM

Originally posted by krazyd
I'm still debating whether I should spend the money on this intake. It would be my first performance mod. I've been very weary of touching anything on my engine b/c i've heard that the dealerships will give crap if you bring your car in for service like if you have problems or anything. I just don't want to blow a MAF or anything.
I wouldnt worry about the MAF thing. They arent as sensitive as everyone seems to think and the Injen it seems has had the fewest problems. It's totally worth the money though. Dealerships cant blame any problem on the intake unless they can prove that it was in fact the intake that caused the problem.
Old 08-26-2002 | 01:18 PM

Originally posted by Y2KSESteve

I didnt like the Injen filter at all, so I put a bigger one on. The injen was a pretty small filter. Krazyd, I doubt that extended driving would affect the performance of the car at all due to the fact that when you're moving air is flowing all through the engine bay and the temperature really goes down. They send instructions with it, which arent great, but they work. Its really not a hard install at all.
Y2KSESteve, what sort of filter did you put on your CAI? Custom made?
Old 08-26-2002 | 01:41 PM

I had the same concers so I called Nissan. Anthing that does not cause direct damage to the drive train are fine (including aftermarket intakes).
Old 08-26-2002 | 02:13 PM

Originally posted by srogers

Y2KSESteve, what sort of filter did you put on your CAI? Custom made?
its basically a K&N type filter, meaning its oiled, with the shape and design of the apex filter.
Old 08-26-2002 | 03:51 PM
I miss the .org!

I feel the same way as you. I know that an intake shouldn't really cause any problems. At the same time, I would like to avoid the potential hassle of dealing with a$$hole dealers. Besides, I've got plenty of other mods to do right now, like install my system, tint, etc...
Old 08-26-2002 | 04:59 PM

Originally posted by Triple8Sol
I feel the same way as you. I know that an intake shouldn't really cause any problems. At the same time, I would like to avoid the potential hassle of dealing with a$$hole dealers. Besides, I've got plenty of other mods to do right now, like install my system, tint, etc...
At least I know i'm not the only guy with these concerns.
Old 08-26-2002 | 05:30 PM

At least I know i'm not the only guy with these concerns.
EVERYONE has those concerns. If someone buys a new $28K car and mods it up w/o caring about warranty, etc., Then he should've bought a more expensive car cuz he can obviously afford it.

For me, there's nothing I've done to my car that's not reversible.

That's my limitation I have for modding (and taste).
Oh yeah, then there's always that money thing........

Ok , so I have a few limitations, but Nissan and their nitpicking is definitely a concern for me. But, if something I do does cause a problem. Sure, I will try to get it covered under warranty. But if they don't and it IS my fault or a mod I've done, I won't ***** and whine. It's the risk you take.

I think most folks follow the same lines, or I'd like to think so....

Shaydz
Old 08-26-2002 | 11:27 PM

Yes it took a while to learn the new Mapping. The 2k2s dont reset like that, they only reset after 200 miles or so or @40-50 restarts.
Ok...cause I've driving my car twice now since I put the intake on, for about 15miles total and I don't feel THAT much more power. At least not the power that everyone talks about. Feels the same right now...so at least it didn't get slower..oh, and it revs more freely to the redline now.
It's actually really quiet...you have to punch it to get any noise out of it. I really like that.
Old 08-27-2002 | 03:53 AM

Yeah, give it time. It has to remap everything. One day you will just notice that the car all of a sudden wants to go.
Old 08-27-2002 | 07:39 AM

dblrr900, I need to come take a ride in your car. I have a 2000, so your car is already faster at stock, but I'd like to see what she can do. How about sometime tonight?

Quick Reply: INJEN Review after 500+ miles (long)