5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Defective Bose head unit still on back order?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2002 | 10:31 AM

Defective Bose head unit still on back order?

Has anyone that was told their replacement Bose head unit is on back order actually ever received it yet? I have now been waiting 5 weeks and want to know if I am ever going to get it...

As a reminder, this is the problem where the sound all goes off to the right speakers while playing a CD. I think it applies to the '02 Max with 6 disc in-dash only.
Old 08-26-2002 | 11:55 AM
Very sound, Mike

It's not the Bose but i just got my replacement roughly 2-1/2 months of waiting. It's up for grabs to whoever wants to buy it.

P.S. there's a big sticker on it that says "Remanufactured", So i guess we end up getting used products for brand new units that got busted.
Old 08-26-2002 | 01:48 PM

Originally posted by soundmike
It's not the Bose but i just got my replacement roughly 2-1/2 months of waiting. It's up for grabs to whoever wants to buy it.

P.S. there's a big sticker on it that says "Remanufactured", So i guess we end up getting used products for brand new units that got busted.
Surprise, surprise... I just got my post card in the mail today from Nissan that my dealer has my radio available to install. I get it done Thursday. Hope it goes well...
Old 08-26-2002 | 07:58 PM
ABS

Re: Defective Bose head unit still on back order?

Originally posted by carguyrob
Has anyone that was told their replacement Bose head unit is on back order actually ever received it yet? I have now been waiting 5 weeks and want to know if I am ever going to get it...

As a reminder, this is the problem where the sound all goes off to the right speakers while playing a CD. I think it applies to the '02 Max with 6 disc in-dash only.
I called Nissan North America about this question. I was told that Clarion has a 6+ week back order on these parts and that it is possible that they have modified the design to solve the problem.

By the way, for me it's the driver's side and not the passenger side that cut outs while driving (acceleration, braking, bumps, etc.).

One thing is for sure, I don't want any re-manufactured parts. I asked Nissan the following question: "What happens if the replacement part has the same defect as the original but I don't experience the problem until after 36,000 miles with the new part, will Nissan stand behind their warranty on this device as having a design defect?" The answer I received was a definitive "NO". Meaning that if Clarion has a major problem with these units, and is only installing remanufactured parts, but not parts that have been upgraded, then we might be in for a world of hurt once we pass 36K -- especially given that we all have Bose which has special requirements . . . and that the HU interfaces with the Trip Computer and the steering wheel controls . . .
Old 08-26-2002 | 08:01 PM
Very sound, Mike

Re: Re: Defective Bose head unit still on back order?

Originally posted by ABS
Bose which has special requirements . . . and that the HU interfaces with the Trip Computer and the steering wheel controls . . .
There's not much of a special requirement on the 2k2's. Volume controls on the steering wheel can be addressed by using the PAC adapter. Trip computer controls is a free fix by grounding a couple of wires.
Old 08-26-2002 | 08:19 PM
ABS

Re: Re: Re: Defective Bose head unit still on back order?

Originally posted by soundmike

There's not much of a special requirement on the 2k2's. Volume controls on the steering wheel can be addressed by using the PAC adapter. Trip computer controls is a free fix by grounding a couple of wires.
This is good to know . . . I already knew about the PAC adapter, but it is not cheap. Do you know where can I find the info on the Trip Computer wires? Do aftermarket heads with pre-outs wire directly into the Bose Amp in the trunk?