5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

APEXi RSM placement

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2002 | 03:02 PM

APEXi RSM placement

I did a search and only came up with Y2kevSE's pictures. I'm looking for suggestions on where to place the APEXi RSM. Kevin has his blocking the hazard button/change box. I was thinking of higher up on the dash (there is a small shelf between where the Bose radio ends and the clock begins). Any suggestions/pictures are appreciated.
Old 08-26-2002 | 04:21 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Re: APEXi RSM placement

Originally posted by ajahearn
I did a search and only came up with Y2kevSE's pictures. I'm looking for suggestions on where to place the APEXi RSM. Kevin has his blocking the hazard button/change box. I was thinking of higher up on the dash (there is a small shelf between where the Bose radio ends and the clock begins). Any suggestions/pictures are appreciated.
You can put it where the sunglass holder is. It would be hard to see, but it would be easy to hide also.

Where I mounted the RSM, it doesn't block the hazard button at all. You can even swing open the ash tray.
Old 08-26-2002 | 11:40 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

i have mine mounted right under my radio..but i have a GXE with single CD player and i had plenty of room under it.

Old 08-27-2002 | 02:30 AM
Future Camaro SS owner

Originally posted by irvine78
i have mine mounted right under my radio..but i have a GXE with single CD player and i had plenty of room under it.

Do you really think it would be hard to see when in sunglasses holder cause I was thinking of putting mine there.
Old 08-27-2002 | 04:22 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

custom mounted

Originally posted by myownnismo

Do you really think it would be hard to see when in sunglasses holder cause I was thinking of putting mine there.

I have both the Apexi S-AFC and the RSM... you know how guys will hve TV's custom mounted into their sunvisors? I have both of my Apxis custom mounted into my sunvisors...Pics in a couple of weeks but it came out nice.

Deac
Old 08-27-2002 | 09:13 AM
'Trynna' is not a word

Just make sure you have an alarm... see sig for pics...
Old 08-27-2002 | 11:00 AM

placement

I took another look at Kev's and I can see how it could be mounted such that it wouldn't necessarily prevent using the hazards or the cash drawer. I still feel it's a little intrusive there. I considered the visor but that I imagine the routing of the wires and the mounting is not trivial. Ultimately I think you want it reasonably accessible from the driver's seat but not so obvious that it would attract unwanted attention. Thanks for the input.
Old 08-27-2002 | 11:35 AM
Future Camaro SS owner

Originally posted by mtrai760
Just make sure you have an alarm... see sig for pics...
see that's why I want to put mine in my sunglasses holder. If I can't see it to well I will just move it.
Old 08-27-2002 | 12:02 PM

see that's why I want to put mine in my sunglasses holder. If I can't see it to well I will just move it.
well, the problem with having it mounted in your sunglass holder is that once you flip the holder down to see the RSM, it blocks 75% of the rear view mirror(and that's with broadway mirror). that's why i didn't like it...plus, it'd little bit more complicated to run the line all the way around the ceiling liner..you can't just have the wire dangling from the sunglass holder..

if you're worried about possible theft, do it like Y2KevSE...he has it on a velcrow..you can mount it on but take if off and put it under your seat of in your cup holder bin to hide it.

but personally, i like where i mounted it best because it doesn't block anything, i can see everything anytime, and it's not that noticable since i have tinted front windows..
Old 08-27-2002 | 12:30 PM

I always thought it would be cool to have it on a mount that folds up and then slides into the dash cup. Tough to describe I guess, but maybe you know what I mean.
Old 08-27-2002 | 03:28 PM

I have my apexi safc up in the sunglass holder...but not in the "normal" way...It's monted not acually in the case but up where the roof would be facing at an angle down...For that you gotta cut out the acual case but it's all good, now the case flip down piece is just a cover to hide it.
Old 08-27-2002 | 04:45 PM

Originally posted by Kojiro_FtT
I always thought it would be cool to have it on a mount that folds up and then slides into the dash cup. Tough to describe I guess, but maybe you know what I mean.
i thought about that too...but it just involved too much createive thinking..
Old 08-28-2002 | 11:57 AM
Future Camaro SS owner

i thought about that too...but it just involved too much createive thinking..
You guys must be all midget's cause I test fit my RSM in my sunglasses holder and I can see it just fine true it takes up the whole mirror but I don't care.
Old 08-29-2002 | 02:09 AM

You guys must be all midget's cause I test fit my RSM in my sunglasses holder and I can see it just fine true it takes up the whole mirror but I don't care.
well, if you call a 6'2" a midget..then i am one..
what i was talking about was that if you put it in your sunglass holder, you'll have to have the holder flip down while you're driving and THAT blocks your rear view mirror...if you don't have a problem with that, then i guess it's fine.
Old 08-29-2002 | 02:36 AM
Future Camaro SS owner

well, if you call a 6'2" a midget..then i am one..
what i was talking about was that if you put it in your sunglass holder, you'll have to have the holder flip down while you're driving and THAT blocks your rear view mirror...if you don't have a problem with that, then i guess it's fine.
I see you point. I just don't know whereelse to put it.
Old 08-29-2002 | 06:41 PM
Future Camaro SS owner

Originally posted by max'n out
I have my apexi safc up in the sunglass holder...but not in the "normal" way...It's monted not acually in the case but up where the roof would be facing at an angle down...For that you gotta cut out the acual case but it's all good, now the case flip down piece is just a cover to hide it.

I am thinking of something like this and just cut the hinge part so it can be taken down. I guess all you would have to do is angle it.
max'n out do you have any pics.
Old 08-29-2002 | 07:04 PM
Maxima06071

Well if you want to really hide it you could stash it in your factory cupholder compartment, the get some of those cup holders that clip on your air vents like these Yeah yeah they say "type R" on them but just something like these would work.
The only problem I can see with this plan is you may be taking your eyes off the road to long; really mounting this thing anywhere is going to have you looking less at the road....which is not good.
If I get one, I'm mounting it on the dash under(or on) the left front pillar.
Then tinting the be-jesus out of my car, not only for the thieves having a hard time peering into it but also it gets so dang hot in side.
Old 08-29-2002 | 08:10 PM

APEXi RSM

I have the RSM mounted in front the clock. i think its kinda cool cause i got the appealin APEXi stand

http://home.nyc.rr.com/trustone/Max/
Old 08-29-2002 | 08:14 PM
Future Camaro SS owner

I will probably just do this. If I want to see out my rearview I will put it up.

Or I will put it where kevin no-G put his.
Old 08-29-2002 | 08:23 PM

sunglass pocket

Seems like the best place to hide this thing. I've seen some comments about watching this while you drive. As far as I can tell the RSM is set to kick off based on some type of RPM switch. I don't know if it "records" activity such that you can see it. It certainly seems to. I think its a big mistake to try and watch a "gauge" while driving (which is one of the reasons why I'm not a big fan of gauge pods). Don't get me wrong, people can do what they want. I just find these things too distracting to watch while driving.

Nissanmaxima's placement is where I was thinking of but I will have to consider the "attractive nuisance" factor.
Old 08-29-2002 | 09:25 PM
Future Camaro SS owner

Re: APEXi RSM

Originally posted by nissanmaximas
I have the RSM mounted in front the clock. i think its kinda cool cause i got the appealin APEXi stand

http://home.nyc.rr.com/trustone/Max/
I was also considering that spot. But I bet you could route the wiring though the vents behind the radio and to the ECU.
Old 08-30-2002 | 06:34 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

You won't need to look at the RSM while driving because I will record and store your highest numbers. If you need to know how you did everytime, just clear it out before driving.
Old 08-30-2002 | 06:48 AM

Re: Re: APEXi RSM

I was also considering that spot. But I bet you could route the wiring though the vents behind the radio and to the ECU.
yeah, the shop that installed it for me said the same thing...BUT i will be gettin rid of the max so no need for the neatness...plus i will be taking the RSM out in a few and puttin it in its new home "G35" here i come!
Old 08-30-2002 | 11:21 AM

one more reason why i like my placement...you don't see the wire running down to the ECU...since i mounted on the dash right under my CD player, i was able to run the wires behind the dash...so there's no wires running down in front of the dash...it looks clean..
Old 08-30-2002 | 12:51 PM
Future Camaro SS owner

Originally posted by Y2KevSE
You won't need to look at the RSM while driving because I will record and store your highest numbers. If you need to know how you did everytime, just clear it out before driving.
Hey kevin can you simplify you ECU pins sheet. I have the sheet and can't figure out what wires your using. you got a I with a square around it a I with a circle around it a G with a circle and square a S with a circle around it a plain G and RPM has square and circle. I know I don't need the MAF and TPS ones. Is there a speed wire to be cut on a SE.
Old 08-30-2002 | 02:01 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Hey kevin can you simplify you ECU pins sheet. I have the sheet and can't figure out what wires your using. you got a I with a square around it a I with a circle around it a G with a circle and square a S with a circle around it a plain G and RPM has square and circle. I know I don't need the MAF and TPS ones. Is there a speed wire to be cut on a SE.
Hehehe... use cross reference with the instruction manual.

I = ignition (power)
G = ground
S = speed
RPM = RPM

You need to play with I, G, S, and RPM.

I circled, squared, and triagled them for a purpose... but I don't remember for what.
Old 08-30-2002 | 02:15 PM
Future Camaro SS owner

Hehehe... use cross reference with the instruction manual.

I = ignition (power)
G = ground
S = speed
RPM = RPM

You need to play with I, G, S, and RPM.

I circled, squared, and triagled them for a purpose... but I don't remember for what.
so I don't have a speed cut I just tap into the speed. I am think by looking at your setup and that you have a RSM and AFC that one is for the RSM and one is for the AFC. I could be wrong it's your car.
Old 08-30-2002 | 02:20 PM

RSM docs

Say that if you want to remove the rev limiter that you have to cut the speed sensor to the ECU (and insert the RSM in between).
Old 08-30-2002 | 03:09 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

so I don't have a speed cut I just tap into the speed. I am think by looking at your setup and that you have a RSM and AFC that one is for the RSM and one is for the AFC. I could be wrong it's your car.
ajahearn is correct. You still would have to cut the speed wire, and put the RSM inline.
Old 08-30-2002 | 09:18 PM
Future Camaro SS owner

ajahearn is correct. You still would have to cut the speed wire, and put the RSM inline.
Do I have to use the purple and the pink wires for the speed wire. Or do I just use the purple wire and just it on the speed wire and not cut it.
Old 08-31-2002 | 12:42 PM
Future Camaro SS owner

Do I have to use the purple and the pink wires for the speed wire. Or do I just use the purple wire and just it on the speed wire and not cut it.

Hey where did everybody put there g-sensor. I can't find a place to put it. I am thinking by the ECU.
Old 08-31-2002 | 05:06 PM
Future Camaro SS owner

Hey where did everybody put there g-sensor. I can't find a place to put it. I am thinking by the ECU.
nevermind I found a spot. Now B4 I connect these wires is ther anything I need to know. I have asked this guestion I think twice and haven't gotten an answer do I cut my speed wire or just tap into it. I have a half torn apart car in the garage waiting.
Old 08-31-2002 | 08:37 PM

speed wire

If you want the ability to use the RSM to eliminate the rev limiter built into the Maxima ECU, then you must cut the speed wire and insert the RSM in between (speed wire goes into RSM and then RSM wire goes into ECU). If you only want to sense the speed then you only need to tap the line. This is what the directions say. I have not done the install myself so I can only go on what is written. You can download the manuals from APEX itself.
Old 08-31-2002 | 10:22 PM
Future Camaro SS owner

Re: speed wire

Originally posted by ajahearn
If you want the ability to use the RSM to eliminate the rev limiter built into the Maxima ECU, then you must cut the speed wire and insert the RSM in between (speed wire goes into RSM and then RSM wire goes into ECU). If you only want to sense the speed then you only need to tap the line. This is what the directions say. I have not done the install myself so I can only go on what is written. You can download the manuals from APEX itself.
I have it, I just want to know whether or not Y2Kevse or Irvine78 cut there's. I have mine ready to go I just need to connect the wires.