5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

A question for the 6spd guys...

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2002, 10:26 AM
Very sound, Mike

A question for the 6spd guys...

I was looking at this breakdown of the 5spd Altima and they also have a cable linkage for the shifter (if i'm not mistaken that's what i'm looking at).

If the set-up for the Max is similar, is this the reason it's slightly harder to get an STS for this model as opposed to the previous ones?

Just curious.
Old 08-27-2002, 10:48 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Sorry to go off-topic, but that tear-down demonstrates how cheap the interior of the Altima is. No screws or bolts holding any of the interior plastic? Poorly cut carpet too.
Old 08-27-2002, 11:12 AM

Re: A question for the 6spd guys...

Originally posted by soundmike
I was looking at this breakdown of the 5spd Altima and they also have a cable linkage for the shifter (if i'm not mistaken that's what i'm looking at).

If the set-up for the Max is similar, is this the reason it's slightly harder to get an STS for this model as opposed to the previous ones?

Just curious.
can't recall exactly, but it looks about the same as maxima's shifter. Don't know if that is the reason.
Old 08-27-2002, 11:22 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: A question for the 6spd guys...

Just curious. [/B]
You got it. Except "slightly harder" is a bit off. As far as I know the only way you can get one is to cut your stock one shorter.
Old 08-27-2002, 12:01 PM

Originally posted by Tanman
Sorry to go off-topic, but that tear-down demonstrates how cheap the interior of the Altima is. No screws or bolts holding any of the interior plastic? Poorly cut carpet too.
You obviously haven't pulled your interior apart. I'd say there is almost exactly the same number of screws holding the Max interior together.

As for the carpet cuts... I don't remember them looking that bad, but then again, who cares? You'd never see those cuts if you weren't ripping the interior apart.
Old 08-27-2002, 12:04 PM

Originally posted by Kojiro_FtT

You obviously haven't pulled your interior apart. I'd say there is almost exactly the same number of screws holding the Max interior together.

As for the carpet cuts... I don't remember them looking that bad, but then again, who cares? You'd never see those cuts if you weren't ripping the interior apart.
I have taken my interior apart, and it definitely wasn't as simple as "pull from both sides and it pops right out" like the Altima guy said. Don't take it too hard, what do you expect for a low-end mid-sized car?
Old 08-27-2002, 12:20 PM

I have taken my interior apart, and it definitely wasn't as simple as "pull from both sides and it pops right out" like the Altima guy said. Don't take it too hard, what do you expect for a low-end mid-sized car?
Then you need to read that tear down more closely. Two screws under steering wheel, just like our Max. 5 holding down the center console, just like our Max. Two screws on climate control, 4 on stereo; Max has 4 holding both the climate and stereo. Looks like the Altima actually has MORE screws than the Max.

Does it matter? Should we go count screws in a BMW to see if it's really worth the extra money? In fact, I think cars should be priced on the number of screws in the dash.

I'm no Altima fan, I just think this is a dumb ruler to measure it's worth.

Back to the original question: yes that looks a heck of a lot like the Max shifter; in fact the Max shifter has that bump-stop for reverse, so it's even more complicated to fabricate. And yes, it's impossible to find a STS for it. And no I don't recommend cutting your stock shifter.
Old 08-27-2002, 01:20 PM

Then you need to read that tear down more closely. Two screws under steering wheel, just like our Max. 5 holding down the center console, just like our Max. Two screws on climate control, 4 on stereo; Max has 4 holding both the climate and stereo. Looks like the Altima actually has MORE screws than the Max.

Does it matter? Should we go count screws in a BMW to see if it's really worth the extra money? In fact, I think cars should be priced on the number of screws in the dash.

I'm no Altima fan, I just think this is a dumb ruler to measure it's worth.

Back to the original question: yes that looks a heck of a lot like the Max shifter; in fact the Max shifter has that bump-stop for reverse, so it's even more complicated to fabricate. And yes, it's impossible to find a STS for it. And no I don't recommend cutting your stock shifter.
My observation is supported by a lot of other people's observations that the Altima interior is cheap and cobbled-together. From the guy's descriptions, it seems he agrees. Only one who doesn't is you .
Old 08-27-2002, 01:27 PM

Forgot to mention your comment about cheap carpet. By your logic, a Honda owner who never opens their hood doesn't have to admit they have a weak engine, right? .
Old 08-27-2002, 02:28 PM

My observation is supported by a lot of other people's observations that the Altima interior is cheap and cobbled-together. From the guy's descriptions, it seems he agrees. Only one who doesn't is you .
Your observation was that the Altima interior was cheap because it didn't have too many screws holding it together. That's what I disagreed with, especially since the Maxima is the same way. By saying the Altima interior is cheap, you're saying the Maxima interior is cheap.

Is the Altima interior cheap (for other reasons)? Sure, but that's not what I was disagreeing with.
Old 08-27-2002, 02:35 PM
Very sound, Mike

Okay guys, going back on topic. As far as the shifter goes, what would be the adverse effects of cutting the stem?
Old 08-27-2002, 02:36 PM

Okay guys, going back on topic. As far as the shifter goes, what would be the adverse effects of cutting the stem?
Sorry Mike .
Old 08-27-2002, 02:38 PM
Very sound, Mike

Sorry Mike .
That's ok
Old 08-27-2002, 04:30 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I don't know but I'm not gonna be the guinea pig.
I would think the "bump-stop" is gonna be the hard thing to work around. I haven't look at it that hard yet. There also are no ***** yet. With the 350z out now that should change by the end of the year though. It's more of the waiting game, I don't have a lot of cash now so I'm not to upset.