5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

A couple '02 trani questions...

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2002, 12:16 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

A couple '02 trani questions...

A few months ago I graduated from a white '89 SE w/ 230K miles to an '02 Sterling Mist SE. Unfortunately, it's a wife-o-matic. But I really like the car. Very glad I didn't get the Altima!

Anyway, occasionally I get the trani slippage between 1st and 2nd gear. From all of the posts I've read, this appears to be a known issue only with the '00 Max's. Allegedly, this problem has been cured in the '02 Max's. Are there other '02 owners who are also getting the dreaded slip? Have you gotten it fixed. How?

Finally, moving the shift lever out of park very difficult. Even when parked on a perfectly level surface. It feels like it would if you had parked on a steep incline and didn't use the parking brake. It will do this even if you stop the car put it in Park and then immediately try to shift out of park while the brake is on. Anyone else experience this? Any known fixes? Any advice before I approach the dealer?

Thanks.
Old 08-27-2002, 12:25 PM

For me in my '02 the dreaded "slip" happens right between 40 and 50 mph, anywhere else its fine. The dealership has no solution, if you find one please let me know. Otherwise the car is awesome! (Never had the shifter problem though.)
Old 08-27-2002, 12:41 PM

I do have a hard time shift out of park when the car was brand new. But it's getting better now. Could you specific describe the slip between 1st and 2nd gear? Is it on auto or 6 speed?

Thanks.
Old 08-27-2002, 12:50 PM

It's an automatic (wife-o-matic) and it is the classic slip described elsewhere.

For example, when accelerating quickly from a stop the trani won't shift quickly and confidently into 2nd. Instead it will hesitate and the RPM's will go way up and then it will finally get around to shifting into 2nd.
Old 08-27-2002, 01:17 PM
Very sound, Mike

Mine used to have the same thing during the first couple of thousand miles. Now it's pretty crisp and clean (12k mi.)

Anyway, if you hear a whirring noise between gears (point of shifting) then your transmission is slipping. Otherwise it's just the delay of shifting common among auto's.
Old 08-27-2002, 05:25 PM

i noticed the shifting from park to drive also. but i seem to notice it only part of the time. i just thought it was becaus of the gated shifter.
Old 08-27-2002, 06:25 PM
Banned

Re: A couple '02 trani questions...

Originally posted by SquidBeak

Finally, moving the shift lever out of park very difficult. Even when parked on a perfectly level surface. It feels like it would if you had parked on a steep incline and didn't use the parking brake. It will do this even if you stop the car put it in Park and then immediately try to shift out of park while the brake is on. Anyone else experience this? Any known fixes? Any advice before I approach the dealer?

Thanks.
I have this same problem with my 01 Altima but only on a slight incline surface, such as my driveway. What I've notice is in order for me to shift from park to reverse smoothly, I practically have to press my foot all the way down on the brake pedal or else it feels like its locked and won't shift. Maybe it's worth giving a shot at?
Old 08-27-2002, 06:49 PM

$0.02

I am not too familiar with how the auto tranni works, but there might be a mechanical linkage for brake release to shift out of park. Tell the dealer to check it out and it might be adjustable.

As for the slippage, I'd say that it might take time for the transmission to adjust to your style of driving (and thus explains why it will get better after a few thousand miles). It's the adaptive software crap. If people tend to punch it from a stop light, and cause high RPM shifts (all the time), then the shift at higher RPM will be optimized (feels crisp or whatever). If you only do it once in a while, it might never adjust itself and thus you will have the feeling of "slippage".

If the transmission tends to slip all the time at the same driving conditions...you have a problem.

Just some thoughts...

Green
Old 08-27-2002, 09:03 PM
ABS

I know these tranny's are computer controlled, but still, I would confirm all vacuum lines (if any) are connected and in good condition. Also, I would consider draining tranny and replacing filter. It could be a low vacuum issue or it could be a low fluid pressure issue causing these symptoms.
Old 08-28-2002, 09:24 AM

ABS, I'm inclined to think you're on the right track.

Hopefully, I can get a dealer to take me seriously enough to thoroughly check it out and do a complete trani flush and filter replacement...or maybe perform the same changes they perform for '00 trani TSB.

The thing I don't want him to do is take the car out and do a whole bunch of hard launches to get it to slip.
Old 08-28-2002, 09:58 AM
The silent but deadly Moderator

not exactly... hanging/delay is one thing, slip is another. You should have *no* rise in RPM (at least nothing you would see on the gauge as a jump).

If you are slipping, there is a problem in the solenoids or your clutches are shot. Solenoids are a 1 hour fix and as long as you dont let the slip keep happening, you can continue on without too much fear of a later failure.

If you let the slip keep happening, you'll be making metal eventually and the whole tranny will need to be done.

btw, the most obvious cause is low fluid (leaks and incorrectly filled can happen from the factory). I assume you've checked that.
Old 08-28-2002, 04:50 PM

Originally posted by TimW
the most obvious cause is low fluid (leaks and incorrectly filled can happen from the factory). I assume you've checked that.
Yes, the level is OK, but I'm not sure what you mean by, "incorrectly filled". Is there a right and a wrong way to fill the trani?

Regardless, I'm sure a complete drain and refill would do nothing but good.

But I'd really like to know if the solenoids & clutches are OK. Can either of these be tested via the computer?

Thanks.
Old 08-28-2002, 05:11 PM
The silent but deadly Moderator

well, I meant the fill level.

Slipping means at the *very* least solendoids. When they do that work, they drop the pan. They should look for metal. If so, then its new tranny time. They will flush with new ATF.
Old 09-04-2002, 05:10 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: A couple '02 trani questions...

Originally posted by SquidBeak
I have this exact same issue with my 02 Pathfinder. Did you find a fix yet?
Old 09-05-2002, 06:00 AM

To TimW, delay question???

Slipping means at the *very* least solendoids. When they do that work, they drop the pan. They should look for metal. If so, then its new tranny time. They will flush with new ATF.
TimW,
I think my problem (from my previous post) is more of a delay than a slip and it mainly happens between 40-50 mph, it really is quite annoying. I have to take my '02 SE in for 6000 service in the next few weeks, do you know if there is anything the dealer can do for this????
Thanks!
Old 09-05-2002, 09:25 AM

...Hey Tim, would a faulty solenoid cause a warning light on the dash?

I am having a different problem with my auto tranny, and the dealer has been playing dumb since there are no 'error codes' being generated. But I have told him it is getting worse. My problem:

Shifting from 1 to 2 (and sometimes 2 to 3, but less harsh) I have VERY hard shifts. It almost feels like the car is hitting something it is so rough. It almost feels like there is something damaged in the mechanical linkage, but sometimes it is smooth as silk, then I will be coasting from a stop on a green light, low rpms, them BAM, hard shift to second.

Anybody else have this on a 2k2 auto? Would a tranny fluid flush and fill help? I have 12,000 miles on it, and the dealer is right, I have no codes or check engine lights or anything, but it is definitely not right. HELP!
Old 09-05-2002, 09:38 AM
Very sound, Mike

Originally posted by Matthew
Shifting from 1 to 2 (and sometimes 2 to 3, but less harsh) I have VERY hard shifts. It almost feels like the car is hitting something it is so rough. It almost feels like there is something damaged in the mechanical linkage, but sometimes it is smooth as silk, then I will be coasting from a stop on a green light, low rpms, them BAM, hard shift to second.
I always thought this was normal. How do i figure that? Well, i noticed that if i drive the Max like a boat (e.g. slow and steady) the shifts get smoother with time and when i try to be more enthusiastic there's a slight delay in shifting.

Then, when i drive very enthusiastically for extended periods of time then go back to the boat-like/granny-type driving the shifts feel hard and firm.

My thoughts on it was that the ECU adjusted to my style of driving and, in between, the drastic shift in driving style - the ECU is caught in the middle trying to figure out what my next style would be.
Old 09-05-2002, 09:43 AM

Originally posted by soundmike

I always thought this was normal. How do i figure that? Well, i noticed that if i drive the Max like a boat (e.g. slow and steady) the shifts get smoother with time and when i try to be more enthusiastic there's a slight delay in shifting.

Then, when i drive very enthusiastically for extended periods of time then go back to the boat-like/granny-type driving the shifts feel hard and firm.

My thoughts on it was that the ECU adjusted to my style of driving and, in between, the drastic shift in driving style - the ECU is caught in the middle trying to figure out what my next style would be.
Dude, I am all for the ECU learning my driving habits, but this feels like a baseball bat hitting underneath my car when it shifts BANG! And it jerks the car like I was rear-ended. It is not normal....
Old 09-05-2002, 09:47 AM
Very sound, Mike

Does it actually make the bang sound? Hmm... i better check my max over the next few days to see if i'm experiencing the same exact thing you are. I normally don't hear anything due to the radio being on and all, but shifts to 2nd is definitely harsh.
Old 09-05-2002, 10:20 PM

All of you guys that have 2002's with slipping transmissions, go back to the dealer and let them know. Even though I have a 2000SE with the slipping tranny, they replaced the soleiod and it runs great with a nice solid shift into second. Obviously, they haven't fixed the prob. for 2002. Print that service bulletin and take it into the dealer with you even though it doesn't pertain to your car. It's your best bet.
Old 09-06-2002, 06:15 AM
Very sound, Mike

Originally posted by Edward Lee
All of you guys that have 2002's with slipping transmissions, go back to the dealer and let them know. Even though I have a 2000SE with the slipping tranny, they replaced the soleiod and it runs great with a nice solid shift into second. Obviously, they haven't fixed the prob. for 2002. Print that service bulletin and take it into the dealer with you even though it doesn't pertain to your car. It's your best bet.
Thanks for the advice, but it's been done before and Nissan won't fix something based on a TSB for different model years.
Old 09-06-2002, 06:16 AM

Im about to ask a dumb question (because Im not to mechanically inclined), but what the heck is a soleoid??? I wanna sound like i know what Im talkin about befoe I go to the dealer next week.
Old 09-06-2002, 09:15 AM

It's called the "Solenoid Valve Assembly" and if this doesn't fix the problem you will need to replace the Transmission Control Module. If the dealer won't fix it under the 60k warranty, go for one of those valve body recalibrations from one of those aftermarket companies. Stillen knows of a company that changes this out before they supercharge an automatic. This is your best bet if you have to pay for it. Here is the link: http://www.mobiletek.net/. Good Luck. Just to let you know Nissan fixed mine under the 60k warranty and no more hanging up in 1st for a few seconds before it bangs into second. I now have smooth crisp shifting like a normal car. It doesn't matter how I drive it.