5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

who here tunes their own Max..??

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2002, 12:09 AM
SoloMaxima

who here tunes their own Max..??

who here mods their own maximas...i mean like installing SCs, pulleys, etc...and whats the best school to go to, to learn this..??
like how to fix cars and such...

Old 08-28-2002, 12:56 AM

alot of us work on our own cars, rite here in the bay we have matthel, kevin, alex, and i. matthel and i had formal training at different institutions, matthel was trained at skyline college in san bruno, i went through two years of automotive tech in high school and worked at a local german auto repair shop. honestly i don't think formal training is all that important, just gotta know how to work a wrench and grasp the concept of how cars work.. it's more of hand on experience, you gotta be willing to take the risk of making mistakes and breaking things.
Old 08-28-2002, 01:22 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by mingo
alot of us work on our own cars, rite here in the bay we have matthel, kevin, alex, and i. matthel and i had formal training at different institutions, matthel was trained at skyline college in san bruno, i went through two years of automotive tech in high school and worked at a local german auto repair shop. honestly i don't think formal training is all that important, just gotta know how to work a wrench and grasp the concept of how cars work.. it's more of hand on experience, you gotta be willing to take the risk of making mistakes and breaking things.
Hahaha, well put! Thats exactly how I'm learning. I dont always know how things work, but after I mess with them, I generally know. You really do learn as you go.
Old 08-28-2002, 06:15 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

As with most things, just learn from experience. Unless you're not very good at spatial reasoning (ie can't picture things in your head and move them around) you should be able to do almost any bolt on application. If you really want to learn how to tune cars, you'll have to work at a shop and basically be their b1tch for at least 2 years.

Don't be affraid, just get in there and do it. The worst that can happen is having a 3500lb paper weight come down on your chest.
Old 08-28-2002, 08:31 PM

before i got my max i was scared to even get my hands dirty and didnt even know what a ratchet was. my friend works on cars and helps me on my installs i watched him and help and slowly you learn. my car still never has been touch buy a mechanic. i broke tons of stuff on my car but making mistakes helps you learn. p.s. i toke auto tech at my highschool last year and reading books you dont learn **** at least for me
Old 08-28-2002, 11:40 PM
SoloMaxima

i meant like wats the easiest way to get ASE certified..?

Old 08-28-2002, 11:42 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

Originally posted by max1ma97se
before i got my max i was scared to even get my hands dirty and didnt even know what a ratchet was. my friend works on cars and helps me on my installs i watched him and help and slowly you learn. my car still never has been touch buy a mechanic. i broke tons of stuff on my car but making mistakes helps you learn. p.s. i toke auto tech at my highschool last year and reading books you dont learn **** at least for me
Nice wheels on your whip !
Old 08-29-2002, 12:37 AM
2K1HoMax

if said this be4 and ill say it again, ASE is a joke. if i wanted i could be ase master ceritifed using their online test. all u need is cash to pay for their tests. all u do is get the prep booklets and study them, once ur done take the online tests and ur ceritifed, only probelm is can do this w/o any hands on exp. hands on is whats the real deal when it comes to cars, just time and more time gives u the skill. i personally can not afford to mess up, therefor i do not touch what i do not know. i know how everything works to specific detail in some areas but i will not touch what i do now know unless i have a engine or something to tear apart for whatever reason. one thing that i will admit i suck at is electircal, i still havent learned it all, all i can say is this VW, BMW, and Benz electircal systems SUCK! i hate them, so damn anoying.

Old 08-29-2002, 12:41 AM

Originally posted by 2K1HoMax
if said this be4 and ill say it again, ASE is a joke. if i wanted i could be ase master ceritifed using their online test. all u need is cash to pay for their tests. all u do is get the prep booklets and study them, once ur done take the online tests and ur ceritifed, only probelm is can do this w/o any hands on exp. hands on is whats the real deal when it comes to cars, just time and more time gives u the skill. i personally can not afford to mess up, therefor i do not touch what i do not know. i know how everything works to specific detail in some areas but i will not touch what i do now know unless i have a engine or something to tear apart for whatever reason. one thing that i will admit i suck at is electircal, i still havent learned it all, all i can say is this VW, BMW, and Benz electircal systems SUCK! i hate them, so damn anoying.
it's just liek learning to drive from a book. i'm sure we can drive better than a person that has never driven in their life but that has read multiple boox about driving.
Old 08-29-2002, 12:45 AM
2K1HoMax

Originally posted by mingo
it's just liek learning to drive from a book. i'm sure we can drive better than a person that has never driven in their life but that has read multiple boox about driving.
could not have compared it something better then that, it is the experience that u learn from, and use to more efficiently do the job faster and more accuratley the next time u do it.

Old 08-29-2002, 01:35 PM
SoloMaxima

Originally posted by 2K1HoMax
your right...experience is the most important thing...but if you wanna open up a shop..wouldn't it be better to be ASE certified too..?

Old 08-29-2002, 02:42 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by SoloMaxima

your right...experience is the most important thing...but if you wanna open up a shop..wouldn't it be better to be ASE certified too..?
No, I'd steer clear away from a repair guy/girl putting on performance mods on my car. If you want to open a shop, go and work at one for at least a year and learn the business.
Old 08-29-2002, 03:31 PM
92 SE-R 02 SE

i learned to work on my car/cars with fellow enthuists. My 92 SE-R was fully built by me and friends (we are putting in cams this weekend) and my max will be no different. It only has 1000 miles, and i got the RSB, FSTB, i put in a basslink, and Lots more mods to come. You need to be around guys who know what they are doing and just pay close attention. To me, bolt ons are a joke, i can see how head work and pistons and that kinda crap is hard, but i helped put on a turbo kit on a sentra, and it was like...easy. If you could put on a CAI and a header, its SO easy! My best advise is DONT get fustrated! that kills any install!!