5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Got rear-ended in my 2k2

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2002, 04:50 AM

Got rear-ended in my 2k2

Hey Guys-

Well the unfortunate has happened. 8500mi and rear ended. I will say I am pretty impressed with the the bumpers though. A new BMW 323 hit me at about 10 mph. I was stopped. So far the only damage I have seen is some light clear coat scratches and two small kinks in the bumper... No flaking of paint though.. The lady that hit me wants to pay cash.. I know its hard to say, but how much you think it would cost to fix, an what do you guys think I should do. Its not really noticeable until you get within 10 feet or so..

Thanks
STEVE
Old 08-28-2002, 04:53 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

get an estimate from a bodyshop.
there might be some "internal" damages
Old 08-28-2002, 04:54 AM
Got Bent?

$500 - $600 at least... and that is just to replace and repaint the bumper cover. But get it checked out by a body shop to see if there is damage under there.
Old 08-28-2002, 05:46 AM
VQ Wizard

Me too. Some woman ran into me 2 weeks ago becasue her foot slipped off the brake froma standstill. She hit me twice so I made her sit and wait untill the police got there while be blocked traffic. The cop wouldn't even file a report becasue there was no visible damage.

At least your's isn't as bad as it could be and no one was hurt. I hope you get it settled quickly.
Old 08-28-2002, 05:52 AM
swallac2

Re: Got rear-ended in my 2k2

Originally posted by Tallyman
Hey Guys-

Well the unfortunate has happened. 8500mi and rear ended. I will say I am pretty impressed with the the bumpers though. A new BMW 323 hit me at about 10 mph. I was stopped. So far the only damage I have seen is some light clear coat scratches and two small kinks in the bumper... No flaking of paint though.. The lady that hit me wants to pay cash.. I know its hard to say, but how much you think it would cost to fix, an what do you guys think I should do. Its not really noticeable until you get within 10 feet or so..

Thanks
STEVE
NO CASH, you'd only be doing her a favor and take the chance on getting yourself screwed over. Unless you get the estimate and then jack the price. If she has the cash to drive a Bimmer she has the insurance to cover her mistakes. Was she on the phone while applying her makeup when she hit you? Don't mean to sound like a jerk but when people start talking cash during an accident I think they have something to hide. Thats just my opinion though...

Old 08-28-2002, 05:58 AM

Re: Re: Got rear-ended in my 2k2

Originally posted by swallac2

NO CASH, you'd only be doing her a favor and take the chance on getting yourself screwed over. Unless you get the estimate and then jack the price. If she has the cash to drive a Bimmer she has the insurance to cover her mistakes. Was she on the phone while applying her makeup when she hit you? Don't mean to sound like a jerk but when people start talking cash during an accident I think they have something to hide. Thats just my opinion though...

Nope, she was not on the phone or putting make-up on.. She was very nice and apologetic.. Here is my plan of attack as of now.. I am going to the body shop in a couple hours to get an estimate. Once I get the estimate, I will call the lady and send it to her.. I will tell her she has 2-3 days to send me the money, and If I dont get it on the 3rd day, I will file an accident report.. In MA you have 7 days to file an accident report.. I am only cutting here some slack because traffic did stop suddenly, and she didnt seem like one of those ditsy makeup chicks.. She was very proffessional, and I do se her point about avoiding insurance.. In MA the screw you for at least 3 years with surcharges. So she is thinking if its cheaper to pay cash, and it would not go on her permanent record.. I would do the same if I could..
Old 08-28-2002, 07:01 AM

And the winner is UMD_MaxSE:

I just got back from the body shop. The estimate came to $580. Bumper cover will be replaced ($201.32).Body labor came to 111.60, Paint labor $140.40, and paint supplies $70.20, misc $5.00.. This sound right to you guys ??

The Nissan dealer wants $221.45 if I buy it direct.
The Nissan Body shop wants $284.20 just to paint it, and I will do the assembly myself
Old 08-28-2002, 07:11 AM
The silent but deadly Moderator

no, not really.. your biggest concern is the foam bumper, not so much the cover (assuming its not damaged). Once your foam has taken a hit, it wont withstand another (properly). It can even be dangerous.

I would be totally irate if a cop wouldnt file a report. He's not a body shop. He cant look underneath the cover and tell me if the foam is crunched. I guess its one of those 'you'd have to be there things.' I hate arguing with a cop to do his job, but it wouldnt be the first time. (someone made an illegal turn and he wouldnt write that down *until* I showed him the sign that said no turn - literally 3 feet behind him -was not happy)
Old 08-28-2002, 07:14 AM

Originally posted by TimW
no, not really.. your biggest concern is the foam bumper, not so much the cover (assuming its not damaged). Once your foam has taken a hit, it wont withstand another (properly). It can even be dangerous.

I would be totally irate if a cop wouldnt file a report. He's not a body shop. He cant look underneath the cover and tell me if the foam is crunched. I guess its one of those 'you'd have to be there things.' I hate arguing with a cop to do his job, but it wouldnt be the first time. (someone made an illegal turn and he wouldnt write that down *until* I showed him the sign that said no turn - literally 3 feet behind him -was not happy)
Woah, woah, slow down Tim.. I never said I had a problem with the cop not filing a report.. The cop was not even present..
Old 08-28-2002, 07:16 AM
jjs

Woah, woah, slow down Tim.. I never said I had a problem with the cop not filing a report.. The cop was not even present..
I think he was replying to SR20DEN...
Old 08-28-2002, 07:18 AM

Originally posted by jjs

I think he was replying to SR20DEN...
My bad...
Old 08-28-2002, 08:40 AM
The silent but deadly Moderator

My bad...
haha, I was in reply to all mode. sorry..
Old 08-28-2002, 09:24 AM
OG and counting...

Well, look at it this way. At least your party had insurance. Mine didn't and I have to go to court and duke it out with him on 9/10.
Old 08-28-2002, 09:42 AM

Originally posted by PrinzII
Well, look at it this way. At least your party had insurance. Mine didn't and I have to go to court and duke it out with him on 9/10.
Got hit last year by get this, uninsured and unlicensed teenager. Lucky for me, a cop drove by the accident. He didn't arrest him (could have by law) but wrote a police report. I had to go through my insurance company to fix the car, then wait for them to settle with him and get my deductible for me. Make sure you have uninsured motorist coverage!
Old 08-28-2002, 09:48 AM
OG and counting...

Originally posted by Green 2kSE

Got hit last year by get this, uninsured and unlicensed teenager. Lucky for me, a cop drove by the accident. He didn't arrest him (could have by law) but wrote a police report. I had to go through my insurance company to fix the car, then wait for them to settle with him and get my deductible for me. Make sure you have uninsured motorist coverage!
I do. But check this out. We exchanged information. I checked with the insurance company he had listed on his information and it turned out that dude was not on their list. Then on top of that, the guy did not return my phone calls for 2 days so we could settle this.

From that point onward, it became "No more Mr. Nice Guy!" Then when I showed him the estimates, he decided to get real ****y because I reported him (Wah! ).