5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

how to beat a speeding ticket

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2002, 02:53 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

how to beat a speeding ticket

read the complete article here I only pasted the first few paragraphs of the article

http://moneycentral.msn.com/articles...sp?special=msn

The Basics
Beat a speeding ticket to keep your rates down
A hefty fine may be only the beginning if you get nailed for speeding: Your insurer can slap a surcharge on your policy that could run for years. Here's how to beat the rap.
By Ed Henry and Ronaleen R. Roha, Kiplinger's Personal Finance

Ivan Sever, a professor at Berklee College of Music, heard nothing melodious in the siren that pulled him over on a little country road outside of Boston. And he was nonplussed when the officer told him he was speeding as he drove his 12-year-old daughter, Alison, to ballet class.
"But no speed limit is posted," Sever said from behind the wheel of his Suzuki SUV. "Tell it to a judge," the officer shot back.

And that's what Sever did.

He demanded a trial to challenge the notion that motorists should somehow divine the speed limit based on the density of the population. To prepare, Sever invested $29 in a membership with the National Motorists Association, a group based in Waunakee, Wis., that helps drivers fight for their rights.

"I did my homework," says Sever. But he needn't have worried. "The policeman never showed up," adds Sever, "so the judge dismissed the case."

His record is clean, and his insurance company never heard about the ticket.

Take a little effort
Even if you are caught dead to rights with a lead foot, don't automatically pay the ticket. With a little effort, you may beat the double whammy of paying the fine and paying higher premiums on your auto insurance policy.

Just ask the Maryland man who found himself before a judge pleading "guilty with explanation." It seems that a protest against China's repression of the Falun Gong had created a hopeless traffic jam as he tried to pick up his daughter at camp. Once traffic opened up, his foot went down, and a cop pulled him over.

As proof of his predicament, the man handed the judge an article about the protest. "You're invoking the Falun Gong defense?" the judge asked sardonically. "I don't care what your excuse is, mister, you've got to slow down."

But then the judge gave him a special incentive to put his foot on a diet. The driver was given "probation before judgment." If he keeps his record clean for a year, it'll be as if the whole thing never happened. There's no record for his insurer to use to jack up his rates. The speeder paid more than $100 in fines and court costs but figures he saved hundreds, maybe thousands, of dollars by avoiding insurance surcharges
Old 08-28-2002, 03:10 PM
It's chrome alright...

Re: how to beat a speeding ticket

'how to beat a speeding ticket'

Hmm... honesty. I'll have to try that one. They'll never expect it.