5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Starting Problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2002 | 09:38 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Starting Problems

I have a 2002 SE with 3,800 miles on it. Should I be having problems starting the car while the A/C is on. What I mean by that is when the A/C is left in the ON position (1 or higher) and I try to start the car, it won't start the first time. I have to try again and sometimes turn the A/C **** off and then try to start. Is this normal? I have a 93 Acura Integra with 150K on it, that I've never had to try to start more than once, even in the Winter with a foot of snow on my car!!

AARRGGHHH!!!!
Tom
Old 08-29-2002 | 10:05 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Your A/C should have nothing at all to do with your starting problem. The ECU will not engauge the A/C system until it knows the car is actually running. In your case, it's not even started yet.

Clean your throttle body and run a bottle of Techron through your fuel system.
Old 08-29-2002 | 11:00 AM
The silent but deadly Moderator

did you have a Honda before the max?

*edit* I just saw the acura part. Yeah, there are hard starting issues with the maxima.. BUT if you are coming from a Honda that always fires off even if you just tap the start, the max is going to give you fits. Bottom line, the starter on the max must be dragged longer than the honda. You will just have to get used to it and stop just bumping the start like you can in the acura.

The VQ must fire on Cyl 1 for the engine to actually start. If it misses that, even if it fires on the other cyls, the crank has to go all the way around again until cyl 1 ignites. Or so Nissan NA and some local guys explained my problems starting
Old 08-29-2002 | 12:05 PM

Originally posted by TimW
did you have a Honda before the max?

*edit* I just saw the acura part. Yeah, there are hard starting issues with the maxima.. BUT if you are coming from a Honda that always fires off even if you just tap the start, the max is going to give you fits. Bottom line, the starter on the max must be dragged longer than the honda. You will just have to get used to it and stop just bumping the start like you can in the acura.

The VQ must fire on Cyl 1 for the engine to actually start. If it misses that, even if it fires on the other cyls, the crank has to go all the way around again until cyl 1 ignites. Or so Nissan NA and some local guys explained my problems starting
Thanks Tim.. At least I now know that's it normal for the Maxima.

Tom
Old 08-29-2002 | 12:20 PM

Originally posted by grey2002_ny

Thanks Tim.. At least I now know that's it normal for the Maxima.

Tom
You should never ever start your car with the A/C on. Especially don't make a habit of it. It is not good on your compressor or your starter for that matter. When you start the car with the A/C "off" is it hard to start????? If the answer is NO then STOP leaving your A/C on. Over an extended period of time(5-7 years) your car will feel the effects of you starting with the A/C on. I mean really is it that hard to turn it off
Old 08-29-2002 | 12:39 PM

Originally posted by Bulldawg

You should never ever start your car with the A/C on. Especially don't make a habit of it. It is not good on your compressor or your starter for that matter. When you start the car with the A/C "off" is it hard to start????? If the answer is NO then stop leaving your A/C on. Over an extended period of time(5-7 years) your car will feel the effects of you starting with the A/C on. I mean really is it that hard to turn in off
Not only it's not good to start the car with A/C ON but it's also bad to shut the car off with the A/C still running. Turn the A/C off a couple of blocks before you stop but leave the fan running until you shut the car off. This way you'll also avoid mold problems.
Old 08-29-2002 | 01:03 PM

Ummm, the compressor clutch will not be engaged if there's no power to it. I definately hear my clutch kick in after the start, like a second afterward. then again, I have auto climate control.
Old 08-29-2002 | 01:16 PM

Ummm, the compressor clutch will not be engaged if there's no power to it. I definately hear my clutch kick in after the start, like a second afterward. then again, I have auto climate control.

Do what you want I really don't care because it isn't my car. That is a rule that I have always lived by. It makes perfect sense to me to not have anything that doesn't need to be running, running at the time you start your car. No matter how you look at it, it is putting unecessary strain on your "system". So you take car of your car the way you want and I will do the same to mine. But obviously it is causing some sort of mysterious problem if it takes a couple of times to start the car when the A/C is on. I REPEAT: "How hard is it to turn off the A/C." This is stupid, just turn it off.

I noticed something wrong with my car the other day also:

When I am driving down the freeway at 60 MPH and I put the car into reverse I hear a loud grinding noise. Does anybody have a clue as to what it could be? hrmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. (Note the sarcasm)
Old 08-29-2002 | 01:20 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

I noticed something wrong with my car the other day also:

When I am driving down the freeway at 60 MPH and I put the car into reverse I hear a loud grinding noise. Does anybody have a clue as to what it could be? hrmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. (Note the sarcasm)
THE DRIVER
Old 08-29-2002 | 01:31 PM

I don't think that is quite the same as leaving your A/C on... My guess is that most people leave it on when they shut off the car. It's not that it's hard to turn off the A/C, it's just not something most people are used to having to worry about.

It's never been an issue with any other car that I'm aware of either, which is why I posted the question. Thanks for your input anyway.

Tom
Old 08-29-2002 | 01:37 PM

I don't think that is quite the same as leaving your A/C on... My guess is that most people leave it on when they shut off the car. It's not that it's hard to turn off the A/C, it's just not something most people are used to having to worry about.

It's never been an issue with any other car that I'm aware of either, which is why I posted the question. Thanks for your input anyway.

Tom

I owned a '95 max and on occasion I would leave the AC on and it suffered the same probs. The same with my Dad's truck, mom's car,etc.... If you value your car then just shut it off. No big deal
Old 08-29-2002 | 02:22 PM

hmmm, with a brief look at the FSM, the clutch only engages after the DTC for ignition, meaning the car is running, and the pressure switch indicates a proper level. I interpet it as the AC Control Unit isnt going to have the clutch engaged at start. Same for Auto/manual control.

No warning that I could find about it in the owners manual either.

Hey, to each his own. I manually turn my HIDs off before shutting down and back on after restarting. I'm all about making the car last. If I thought the clutch was engaging on start up, I'm obsessive enough to keep it off.. but I dont think it does.
Old 08-29-2002 | 06:35 PM

hmmm, with a brief look at the FSM, the clutch only engages after the DTC for ignition, meaning the car is running, and the pressure switch indicates a proper level. I interpet it as the AC Control Unit isnt going to have the clutch engaged at start. Same for Auto/manual control.

No warning that I could find about it in the owners manual either.

Hey, to each his own. I manually turn my HIDs off before shutting down and back on after restarting. I'm all about making the car last. If I thought the clutch was engaging on start up, I'm obsessive enough to keep it off.. but I dont think it does.

ok
Will you do me a favor?

1. Start the Car
2. Turn on the A/C
3. Turn the car off
4. Then turn the key two notches but don't start it.

Come back to the computer and tell me what happens. Unless I am mistaken the AC will come on when you turn the key two notches(without starting it, Step 4). My interpretation of this, is that the AC starts before the ignition. Correct me if I am wrong.
Old 08-29-2002 | 06:38 PM

ok
Will you do me a favor?

1. Start the Car
2. Turn on the A/C
3. Turn the car off

Come back to the computer and tell me what happens. Unless I am mistaken the AC will come on when you turn the key two notches(without starting it, Step 4). My interpretation of this, is that the AC starts before the ignition. Correct me if I am wrong.
I have not tried this..but I think you're correct. But the car will disable the AC when you're cranking, just like how it will turn off your radio and other accesories.
Old 08-29-2002 | 07:08 PM

Originally posted by Green_2

I have not tried this..but I think you're correct. But the car will disable the AC when you're cranking, just like how it will turn off your radio and other accesories.
Okay maybe I can shed some more light one this. When I was coming home this afternoon I went to start the car (With the A/C off) but the windshield wipers were still in "on" position. The car was having trouble starting and I had to pump the gas so it would start. Could this be something other than what was mentioned above. This is the first time I've really used the wipers (Got the car in June, and I think today was the first day of real rain in New York)

I was thinking of using one of those fuel cleaners, but the car has less than 4000 miles on it, I can't imagine that it would need that already.

Could it be something electical? Maybe things like the A/C or wipers or anything else electrical interfere with the first second or two of trying to start the car. I'm a bit retarded when it comes to cars, some I'm just trying to use logic to figure out what the hell is going on. P

Thanks,
Tom
Old 08-29-2002 | 07:28 PM
Very sound, Mike

1. Start the Car
2. Turn on the A/C
3. Turn the car off
I may have a fluke for a Maxima, but everytime i've done this all i get is the blower blowing air. The compressor never turns on. I normally use this technique when i have to wait in the parking lot for extended periods of time and don't want to keep the engine running.

Additionally, on occassion i've managed to turn on the car with the A/C set at 1 and i never had starting problems. Just about the only time i have problems is when i'm almost out of gas.
Old 08-29-2002 | 07:50 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

ok
Will you do me a favor?

1. Start the Car
2. Turn on the A/C
3. Turn the car off

The compressor is driven by the engine--it doesn't have a motor of its own. There's no way for the compressor to run if the engine is not running.

When I start my car with the A/C switch in the "on" position, there is always a delay of a couple of seconds between the time the engine starts and the time I hear the compressor kick on.
Old 08-29-2002 | 08:57 PM

not starting

Everyone who has replied to my posts:

I am not a mechanic, but I do know a bit about cars. As long as I can remember, I have been told to never start the car with the AC on. My dad, my mechanic, my dad's mechanic, a few of my friends that are mechanics have also told me that it is better for your car to start it without the AC on. You can argue with me if you want but I believe what my mechanic says. So you do what you want and I do what I want, I really don't care if you turn your AC off, I am just trying to pass along some knowledge that I have always used. If you don't like then fine. I can't stand arguing on the internet, it is freaking stupid.

Anyways back to the original problem.

grey2002_ny

Since your car is having problems starting to the degree that you have to pump the gas. I would suggest that you take it back to the dealer. Let them see the problem and they should fix it no problem. If not then b$tch like hell to Nissan North America.
Old 08-29-2002 | 09:15 PM

actually, as per the FSM, there is a microprocessor between your switch and the relay for the compressor clutch.
As I read it, the DTC must sent from the ECU and the refridgerent pressure sensor must be checked before the AC kicks in. You arent really controlling the clutch motor directly. Like I said, I start, then like a second or two later you here *CLICK*, then another whirring noise. Thats the AC compressor.

As for the blower motor, yeah, it will be on if the key is in the ON position. Its not really a monster motor, and yes, you will increase the amperage in the motor and likely decrease its lifespan by having it running while cranking ('cause of the voltage drop). But I can tell you the blower motor will spin out the grease long before the brushes burn out. I've had this little disposable motor in my hand. it will die for other reasons before starting with it on ever kills it.

I totally agree with you if the this wasnt a max. Its good advice on a car by car basis, or just always do it to be sure. I have no arguement in that. Just on the max, you arent driving the compressor on start. I suspect many cars AC compressor is ECU controlled these days tho.
Old 08-30-2002 | 06:12 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Okay maybe I can shed some more light one this. When I was coming home this afternoon I went to start the car (With the A/C off) but the windshield wipers were still in "on" position. The car was having trouble starting and I had to pump the gas so it would start. Could this be something other than what was mentioned above. This is the first time I've really used the wipers (Got the car in June, and I think today was the first day of real rain in New York)

I was thinking of using one of those fuel cleaners, but the car has less than 4000 miles on it, I can't imagine that it would need that already.

Could it be something electical? Maybe things like the A/C or wipers or anything else electrical interfere with the first second or two of trying to start the car. I'm a bit retarded when it comes to cars, some I'm just trying to use logic to figure out what the hell is going on. P

Thanks,
Tom

It sounds more like an electrical problem like maybe the battery is not as good as it should be or the car is not charging as much as it should, most accessories, normally are turned off when cranking.
Old 08-30-2002 | 09:00 PM

a/c and stuff////

Leaving your a/c on doesn't hurt...any newer (maybe) car turns the compressor off and on just before shutoff and after starting...now making sure not to only use recirc (or MAX A/C) all the time will help the musty smell from getting bad...turning off the a/c first might have been the case 20-30 years ago in a/c's infancy...OH..it's not arguing DAWG, just :sharing information..."

Why don't you just go to the dealer for the hard starting?

ARFF