5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

My 2k1 GXE, Flooded

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2002 | 09:53 AM

My 2k1 GXE, Flooded

Welp, I got caught in a flash flood, my engine died, and water filled my floor boards.(it didnt go over the seats or the dash, just filled the floorboards up to the bottom of the doors)

It is currently over at the dealership getting refurbished. They are replacing the carpet, and checking out the engine(after it dried out, it drove fine, but the service engine soon light was on).

Is there anything specific that I should be worried about?

Hah my insurance company tried to put me in a rental Daewoo, I told them no, so they put me in a Grand Am(still not as cozy as my maxima)

Will my car ever be the same? or should I sell?
Old 08-30-2002 | 10:13 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Sounds like it'l be just fine. As long as your electical components didn't get wet there's usually nothing to worry about. When water gets high enough to enter the fuse box and controls, then you worry.

As far as the engine and tranny goes....There sealed pretty tight and everything under the hood is designed for a wash down. Water usually wount hurt anything under there.
Old 08-30-2002 | 10:16 AM

Originally posted by njmaxseltd
Sounds like it'l be just fine. As long as your electical components didn't get wet there's usually nothing to worry about. When water gets high enough to enter the fuse box and controls, then you worry.

As far as the engine and tranny goes....There sealed pretty tight and everything under the hood is designed for a wash down. Water usually wount hurt anything under there.
Hey thanks for replying.

I just talked to the guy at the dealership, he said that they are gonna replace the carpets, treat everything for mildew etc... drain all fluids and replace oil, coolant, xmission fluid etc....

Hopefully that will cover it.

What sux is, I gotta take on this 3 day weekend with a Pontiac Grand AM :<

I miss my Maxima.
Old 08-30-2002 | 12:07 PM

*bump*

Comon, someone else in the know please tell me "it's gonna be ok".

I miss my Maxima!
Old 08-30-2002 | 12:13 PM

Unfortunately, flood damage is the most difficult to repair since some problems may prop up years later. Depending on your state laws, you may have to disclose the flood damage to potential customers/dealers or face a stiff fine. They may clean it well but they can never get rid of all the silt in the floorboards, so a smart buyer will be able to spot the damage. Did the engine die from ingesting water, or did you shut it off? How did they check the car, there's probably water all the way in your exhaust, cat, etc. It's not about the water so much but silt will get everywhere. I will be most concerned about the longetivity of the vehicle so don't believe any statements or promises the dealer or insurance company make unless they are in writing! Good luck, bud!
Old 08-30-2002 | 12:34 PM

Originally posted by Green 2kSE
Unfortunately, flood damage is the most difficult to repair since some problems may prop up years later. Depending on your state laws, you may have to disclose the flood damage to potential customers/dealers or face a stiff fine. They may clean it well but they can never get rid of all the silt in the floorboards, so a smart buyer will be able to spot the damage. Did the engine die from ingesting water, or did you shut it off? How did they check the car, there's probably water all the way in your exhaust, cat, etc. It's not about the water so much but silt will get everywhere. I will be most concerned about the longetivity of the vehicle so don't believe any statements or promises the dealer or insurance company make unless they are in writing! Good luck, bud!
Well I did find out that they dont consider it flooded unless the water gets up to or over the dash. For my simple floorboards with puddles, it isnt considered 'submerged' or 'flooded'.

So thats good.

What is 'silt' a mineral residue from the water?

Here is exactly what happened, this intersection was flooded really bad because of non stop persistant downpour. I was at a light behind a FedEx truck. The water on my side of the light was allready pretty deep. When the light turned green, the traffic started moving, between the truck in front of me, and some f'in Kia SUV on my left, a huge swell of water crashed into the front of my car. As soon as that wave hit me, the car stalled out, stuck in he deep water. The level came up to about the bottom of my door, hence the floorboard flooding. Since the water was that high, I imagine that it was deep enough to get into the tailpipe, but by then the engine was shut down from the stall.(I cant believe all it took was a wave from a Fed Ex truck to kill my Maxima). Some doods in a chevy truck hooked some nylon strap up to my car, and towed me up into a parking lot. The car wouldnt start untill I used this air pressure hose from a shop to blow all of the water out of the engine compartment. Then it started, but the check engine soon light was on, and allot of water smog exhaust was comming out of the pipe. I took it home, put it in the garage, opened it all up, turned on some industrial fans, and used a shop VAC to extract most of the standing water. I shop vac'ed it like 3 times. I left it in the garage overnight with the fans on so it could air out.

The next morning, I went out and shop vac'ed it again(every time less and less water extracted). When I tried to start it, it stalled right away. I started it again, and it was fine expect for the "service engine soon" light still being on. It seemed like it drove okay. I parked it out in the sun with the windows down and let it bake for a few hours. Then I drove it across town to drop it off at the insurance place. The drive across town was fine, it handled well It did seem like the engine had to work a little harder to acellerate, but the RPM levels and the temp looked ok.(i could have just felt weird driving it making me think it felt different).

If they are gonna replace the carpet, and clean the the floor with the carpets out, dont you think it will eliminate any silt?
Old 09-10-2002 | 10:30 AM

Ok so I got my car back and all is well.

No odors nothing, they changed out the carpet, and replaced the stuff under the seats. They check engine soon light is out, they said the o2 censor went off.
Old 09-10-2002 | 10:46 AM
Sanduguero

You see.... everything is fine....YOU GOT A MAXIMA!!!!!
Old 09-10-2002 | 10:54 AM

I'm glad to hear that your car is fine. In the future, don't try to start your car again after a flood. If your engine had ingested any water, it would ruin it. Instead, have a professional shop immediately drain and refill all fluids in the car. Good luck with your car, hopefully no further damage was caused!
Old 09-10-2002 | 11:35 AM

Originally posted by Green 2kSE
I'm glad to hear that your car is fine. In the future, don't try to start your car again after a flood. If your engine had ingested any water, it would ruin it. Instead, have a professional shop immediately drain and refill all fluids in the car. Good luck with your car, hopefully no further damage was caused!
I was there when they drained the oil and everything, no murky water in it.

Everything looks good.
Old 09-10-2002 | 03:23 PM
Custom User Title

Good thing you didnt have a CAI

Im guessing your car stalled because of water clogging the exhaust?