5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Have any of you test-driven the 6-spd in the CL-S, comparisons w/ your 6-spd Max's?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2002, 01:04 AM

Have any of you test-driven the 6-spd in the CL-S, comparisons w/ your 6-spd Max's?

I'm really curious b/c I'm very interested in both cars. I am not comparing anything but the trannies at this point, but I'd love to hear opinions for an against both cars (only regarding the manual versions of both cars), thanks in advance.

Pete
Old 08-31-2002, 08:21 AM
Blu
the tits

Re: Have any of you test-driven the 6-spd in the CL-S, comparisons w/ your 6-spd Max's?

Originally posted by PeterUbers
I'm really curious b/c I'm very interested in both cars. I am not comparing anything but the trannies at this point, but I'd love to hear opinions for an against both cars (only regarding the manual versions of both cars), thanks in advance.

Pete
NO but I would like to say it is a sharp car and would drive one no ?'s asked
Old 08-31-2002, 08:24 AM

Re: Have any of you test-driven the 6-spd in the CL-S, comparisons w/ your 6-spd Max's?

Pete
the 2002 maxima has tranny issues. I don't recommend unless you enjoy hassling with the service manager. I would take the acura any day.
Old 08-31-2002, 08:34 AM
Dyno plot says I have the most area under the Administrator curve

I am not comparing anything but the trannies at this point, but I'd love to hear opinions for an against both cars (only regarding the manual versions of both cars), thanks in advance.

Pete
A lot of the 6spd guys here have complained that the shifter/feel sucks. It's tough to shift fast in them. Could be because it's a cable actuated shifter now. The older 5spd Maxima's a direct linkage shifter. I have *never* missed a gear in my 99 5spd, even when shifting as fast as possible in a street race.

I haven't read enough on the Acura 6spd to comment on that, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's a ton better. Honda is well known to make some of the best manual shifters in the world, and I don't think they'd stop short on the Acura's.
Old 08-31-2002, 09:24 AM

Do they offer a short shift kit for the '02+ Max's? It seems like the throws are very long ... ?
Old 08-31-2002, 09:31 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Do they offer a short shift kit for the '02+ Max's?
No
Old 08-31-2002, 10:23 AM
L33t BMW Drivah

I drove an Auto Cl-s..very nice car.. But I preffer 4 doors..
Old 08-31-2002, 11:24 AM
swallac2

Re: Re: Have any of you test-driven the 6-spd in the CL-S, comparisons w/ your 6-spd Max's?

Originally posted by redfly17

the 2002 maxima has tranny issues. I don't recommend unless you enjoy hassling with the service manager. I would take the acura any day.
I haven't read that much around here about 6 speed problems. No more than what you could normally expect. I have a 6-Speed and like it. Sure it's notchy at times, but it's not a bad box. Certainly not bad enough to skip it entirely.

Nothing's perfect, even the Max!!

Old 08-31-2002, 04:26 PM

Re: Re: Have any of you test-driven the 6-spd in the CL-S, comparisons w/ your 6-spd Max's?

Originally posted by SteVTEC
A lot of the 6spd guys here have complained that the shifter/feel sucks. It's tough to shift fast in them. Could be because it's a cable actuated shifter now. The older 5spd Maxima's a direct linkage shifter. I have *never* missed a gear in my 99 5spd, even when shifting as fast as possible in a street race.

I haven't read enough on the Acura 6spd to comment on that, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's a ton better. Honda is well known to make some of the best manual shifters in the world, and I don't think they'd stop short on the Acura's.
I personally don't see why magazines fuss about manual Maxima's shifter feel(95-01). I think they are direct and I've never missed a gear driving around in one, or course, whenever I get my hands on one. 6spd Maxima's feel strange and have what I think are different throws on each gear. It feels alright but I quickly got annoyed of it during the test drive.

I do LOVE the CL-S. The Acura dealer doesn't have any 6spds on the lot. If they don't have one before the 6spd Accord comes out, I might be temped to buy the Accord.
Old 08-31-2002, 08:12 PM

IMO it's nice, but if I'm spending that much money it's the G35 or the 330i (even though its much more expensive). Seriously, FWD is a cost cutting measure. Why would I want that with a powerful 6 cylinder and a manual.

Nice family car, but Honda has the rescouces to do better. Nissan fresh off it's death bed is at least putting out a purpose built car.

The Max can be had for much less so that seems to be a good idea. You can buy a used CL-S for the price of the Max, but you'll only find auto's and with the auto tranny fiasco, I wouldn't touch one with a pole.
Old 09-01-2002, 03:42 AM

Originally posted by kloogy
I drove an Auto Cl-s..very nice car.. But I preffer 4 doors..
YES! I would LOVE the Cl-s, but I like the idea of 4 doors. more convenient, roomy, and cooler to know you have a 4 door sleeper that is very easy to underestimate by appearance alone. If only acura'd make a 4 door as quick as the cl-s. tl-s is slower
Old 09-01-2002, 06:12 AM

I've driven both cars. I like the shifter in the Acura a little better, but I like the Maxima better overall. The Maxima is quieter and has a more supple ride even after a few mods the Max has a better ride. The Acura handles alot better than the Maxima and feels more secure on winding roads. Since I only have a RSB I can't comment on the ride quality on the Max once spring, struts and my front strut bar feel like if it would ever come in You can get alot of mods for the difference in price.
Old 09-01-2002, 07:01 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Pete
IMO the Acura has a better gearbox. The throws were short and precise. I didn't like the "self-adjusting clutch" on the acura. It felt like the engagement point for the clutch was always changing. When I test drove the CL-S 6-spd both the salesman and myself stalled the car and it was difficult to get a smooth engangement. I beleive that a helical limited slip is standard.

The maxima 6-spd throws are much longer and not as precise. However the clutch was not at sensitive and I could shift gears and drive the car smoothly. To engage reverse on the maxima you have to lift up a plastic ring that sits on top of the shift boot and then shift to reverse. It's easy to use but uncoventional. The salesman that sold my father his 2003 6-spd maxima was new and he couldn't figure out how to engage reverse until I showed him!
Old 09-01-2002, 09:43 AM
RussMaxManiac

Re: Re: Re: Have any of you test-driven the 6-spd in the CL-S, comparisons w/ your 6-spd Max's?

Every lot has at least 1 6spd CL-S I have been to.

Old 09-01-2002, 09:44 AM
RussMaxManiac

27-29k is all the car costs. Maxima loaded with NAV is 29k. So whats the difference?

Originally posted by 97GLE
IMO it's nice, but if I'm spending that much money it's the G35 or the 330i (even though its much more expensive). Seriously, FWD is a cost cutting measure. Why would I want that with a powerful 6 cylinder and a manual.

Nice family car, but Honda has the rescouces to do better. Nissan fresh off it's death bed is at least putting out a purpose built car.

The Max can be had for much less so that seems to be a good idea. You can buy a used CL-S for the price of the Max, but you'll only find auto's and with the auto tranny fiasco, I wouldn't touch one with a pole.

Old 09-01-2002, 09:58 AM

You don't pay MSRP for the Max, and you don't have to get it loaded

Considering people have gotten off the lot for less then 24K in a new SE 6 SPD, I would say there is quite a difference. Also, I know for a fact two people who recently purchased CL or TL paid at least 30K. If I was paying that much I'd want a rear drive car.

And Russ, man, you really like to sit here and harp on this. How's your tranny holding up?

And I predict this thread will be locked.
Old 09-01-2002, 01:00 PM
RussMaxManiac

You don't pay MSRP for the Max, and you don't have to get it loaded

Considering people have gotten off the lot for less then 24K in a new SE 6 SPD, I would say there is quite a difference. Also, I know for a fact two people who recently purchased CL or TL paid at least 30K. If I was paying that much I'd want a rear drive car.

And Russ, man, you really like to sit here and harp on this. How's your tranny holding up?

And I predict this thread will be locked.
Wrong. Yes they can get a 6spd Maxima WITH hardly any options for 23-24k. But WITH LOADED WITH NAV, and everything that equals to a CL-S it comes out to 29k and that is not MSRP. MSRP is 31k for the Maxima.

I got my CL-S FOR 27K, the 6spds are 29k right now, MSRP is 32-33k.

My tranny is fine, almost 8500 miles with no problems.

If your friends got there CL-S for 30k, they got ripped. I can get a TL-S for 30k right now if I wanted too.

Also what RWD vehicle except for domestic can you get for 30k? You can't get a BMW, you can't get IS300 for that much, they ask 32k min.

On luxury brands, Infiniti, Acura, Lexus, you really don't get the choice for options. You can't get cloth, you only get leather, etc. So the Maxima if you don't care for NAV, leather, heated seats, etc and just want the performance, then for 23k you can get a 6spd. Which is a good deal. But if your looking for loaded, the Maxima isn't the deal to get unless you want 4 doors.

Old 09-01-2002, 01:16 PM

Engagement into 1st gear is a lot better in the Max for sure -- when I test drove the CL-S 6-spd, I stalled it twice b/c the clutch was so heavy -- reminded me of the E36 M3 clutch...

However, I really did appreciate the short throws .. many times, driving my buddy's Max 6-spd, my elbow would nail his while making the 1st to 2nd, or 3rd to 4th shift during aggressive driving .. that's not too pleasant to the passengers.

I'd take a Max 6-spd for under 24K if ALL i wanted to do was drive fast and enjoy the manual gearbox -- however, I want more to that when I'm paying over 25K for a car .. hence the luxury features that you need to pay for inthe Max but come standard on the Cl-S/TL-S.

BTW -- there are 7 6spd Cl-S's on the Westmont, IL lot... just waiting for new homes ...
Old 09-01-2002, 01:57 PM

BTW -- there are 7 6spd Cl-S's on the Westmont, IL lot... just waiting for new homes ...
At McGrath Acura??? I think I might head over there and test drive one.
Old 09-01-2002, 02:16 PM

Yup -- McGrath, their new branch in Westmont -- the guys there are VERY cool -- ask for a guy names Kyle, he's a younger guy and will seriously let you do what you want on the test drive ..

They have modded cars on the lot for sale -- they warrant all comptech products and the installation work.
Old 09-01-2002, 02:27 PM

I agree, I wouldn't buy a fully loaded Maxima, or a CL-S for that matter. My only point is there are serious cars available in the price range, now or coming soon. If I bought a CL/TL it would be an auto family car.

The MSRP on a CL-S with Nav is 32K. Maybe where you live you can get it for less, but my buddy spent 3 weeks to get the price to $32K incl TTL and he payed cash. The TL-S with Nav is 33K. If you can get these for ~$29k then I applaud you.
Old 09-01-2002, 03:02 PM
RussMaxManiac

I agree, I wouldn't buy a fully loaded Maxima, or a CL-S for that matter. My only point is there are serious cars available in the price range, now or coming soon. If I bought a CL/TL it would be an auto family car.

The MSRP on a CL-S with Nav is 32K. Maybe where you live you can get it for less, but my buddy spent 3 weeks to get the price to $32K incl TTL and he payed cash. The TL-S with Nav is 33K. If you can get these for ~$29k then I applaud you.
No one pays MSRP for a CL-S. That is why I am saying your freind got screwed. My car is without NAV, and it was for 27k. 29k with NAV.

TL-S with Nav here are 30-31k.

Old 09-01-2002, 03:09 PM

Yup -- McGrath, their new branch in Westmont -- the guys there are VERY cool -- ask for a guy names Kyle, he's a younger guy and will seriously let you do what you want on the test drive ..

They have modded cars on the lot for sale -- they warrant all comptech products and the installation work.
Cool deal!!. I think im going to stop by someday this week. I took a RSX-S for a drive a while back. That stretch of Odgen avenue is the best place to test drive cars. You have Merecedes, Lexus, BMW, Acura, and farther down the road you have Continetal Autosports.
Old 09-01-2002, 06:03 PM

reminded me of the E36 M3 clutch...

Oh man, I can make a 2 page complaint about the E36 M3 clutch. Its SOOO friggen hard to get a smooth start because it engages abruptly and with little warning. Other than that, its very smooth. Shifting is nice on that car though. I thought I would accidentally engage reverse the first time I drove it, NOPE! Gates are clearly defined in that car.

Best clutch I've ever used, 99 GSX. Butter smooth on start and easy to modulate. Shifter sucks on that car though!