5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Wind Deflectors on 02-03 Max

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2002, 02:30 PM
Banned

Wind Deflectors on 02-03 Max

I just came back from the nissan dealerhship (the one with the hot chicks working there, see previous thread) and I noticed that all the 03 max's on the lot don't have wind deflectors on them. When I was working out prices and all, everything seemed fine until they told me that the service mgr didnt see the wind deflector down as an option which I chose, and that it would be $199 more, due to the previous problems with them shattering, breaking, etc.

Now my question is, for the 02 guys, if you had a wind deflector that's shattered, is that covered under warranty? And if so, do they replace it with the so-called NEW and IMPROVED $199 one, no charge? Basically, since my post here is going all over the place, I want to know if I'm getting screwed here because the final price I was agreeing to pay for INCLUDED the "shattering $46 wind deflector" (according to carsdirect.com) but is now an additional $199 option?
What do you think? Any feedback would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!
Old 09-01-2002, 02:37 PM

Re: Wind Deflectors on 02-03 Max

Don't get the wind deflector it doesn't work all that well and it scratches your paint underneath. Or you can have mine for $20+ shipping. It's 5 years old and has yet to shatter, I dare say it's in perfect condition. It's in my closet right now.
Old 09-01-2002, 02:47 PM
Banned

Re: Re: Wind Deflectors on 02-03 Max

Originally posted by 97GLE
Don't get the wind deflector it doesn't work all that well and it scratches your paint underneath. Or you can have mine for $20+ shipping. It's 5 years old and has yet to shatter, I dare say it's in perfect condition. It's in my closet right now.
Hmmm........so after seeing the scratches on your paint underneath it, it must also make you kind of wish you "didn't" take it off either?

Thanks for the offer, but if that were the case, I may as well just take the wind deflector off my 01 Altima instead.
Old 09-01-2002, 03:20 PM

Re: Re: Re: Wind Deflectors on 02-03 Max

Originally posted by VQPowerSE

Hmmm........so after seeing the scratches on your paint underneath it, it must also make you kind of wish you "didn't" take it off either?

Thanks for the offer, but if that were the case, I may as well just take the wind deflector off my 01 Altima instead.
No, I polished the scratches out. I caught it before it got to much damage.

But seriously, if the one off your 01 Altima fits, use it. Don't pay $200 for a piece of smoked plastic
Old 09-01-2002, 03:54 PM

Wind-Screwed???

$200??????????!!!

That is ridiculous! That thing better be DAMN good for that much money......

I have not received my warranty replacement as of yet, and it's been over a month and half since I reported the bad visor.
I need to call and ***** again.

Incidentally -- the visor doesn't "scratch" the paint -- the worst it does is "marr" the finish by covering-up that section of paint with something that probably moves-around a little under wind pressure. SCRATCHING is pushing it....

I personally like the wind deflector on my Max, but would not pay an extra $200 for this option. Most every SE delivered in my neck of the country comes with it anyway (dealer installed).

I think they're giving you the same thing despite the price tag -- one will afford you the right to complain and replace under warranty when it breaks....guess which one???
Since when does ANY car company offer TWO wind visors?????
Talk about admission of guilt.....

That's seriously weak on Nissan's behalf.
What's next?
Half a mud-guard???!

G.R.

Old 09-01-2002, 04:59 PM

Re: Wind-Screwed???

Originally posted by ghostrider17
$200??????????!!!
Incidentally -- the visor doesn't "scratch" the paint -- the worst it does is "marr" the finish by covering-up that section of paint with something that probably moves-around a little under wind pressure. SCRATCHING is pushing it....
Trust me, after 3 years, unless it has been taken off and cleaned underneath, your paint will be scratched

Mine was before I had a nice new paint job. I buffed most of it out but it WAS scratched. With the new paint, I just left it off, and all is well.

Also, once the fittings came loose on one side of mine and it started banging up and down on the car at 60 MPH. Scared the crap out of me. After that I took it off. It has been the only hassle my car has given me, seriously.
Old 09-01-2002, 07:18 PM
Banned

Re: Wind-Screwed???

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ghostrider17
[B]$200??????????!!!

That is ridiculous! That thing better be DAMN good for that much money......

I have not received my warranty replacement as of yet, and it's been over a month and half since I reported the bad visor.
I need to call and ***** again.

I personally like the wind deflector on my Max, but would not pay an extra $200 for this option. Most every SE delivered in my neck of the country comes with it anyway (dealer installed).

I think they're giving you the same thing despite the price tag -- one will afford you the right to complain and replace under warranty when it breaks....guess which one???
Since when does ANY car company offer TWO wind visors?????
Talk about admission of guilt.....

That's seriously weak on Nissan's behalf.
What's next?
Half a mud-guard???!

G.R.

I like the wind deflector just like you, but isn't it outrageous for this poor excuse?? I never had a problem on with my 01 Altima wind deflector, and all of a sudden on the 02 max's, they come out with a bad bunch? A wind deflector is a wind deflector in my book. Something's not right here and let's keep that "half a mud-guard" comment quiet, otherwise Nissan might take that into consideration!
Old 09-01-2002, 07:23 PM
Banned

*thinking* I bet if I go over to Toyota and ask them for the same wind deflector, they'll probably hook me up for the original $50 bucks that its worth, and that's for an owner who doesn't even drive a toyota!
Old 09-02-2002, 01:56 AM

Yes, they will replace mine under warrenty, but don't know when. I just called dealer couple days ago and it's still in back order.
Old 09-02-2002, 02:23 AM

Re: Wind Deflectors on 02-03 Max

I just came back from the nissan dealerhship (the one with the hot chicks working there, see previous thread) and I noticed that all the 03 max's on the lot don't have wind deflectors on them. When I was working out prices and all, everything seemed fine until they told me that the service mgr didnt see the wind deflector down as an option which I chose, and that it would be $199 more, due to the previous problems with them shattering, breaking, etc.

Now my question is, for the 02 guys, if you had a wind deflector that's shattered, is that covered under warranty? And if so, do they replace it with the so-called NEW and IMPROVED $199 one, no charge? Basically, since my post here is going all over the place, I want to know if I'm getting screwed here because the final price I was agreeing to pay for INCLUDED the "shattering $46 wind deflector" (according to carsdirect.com) but is now an additional $199 option?
What do you think? Any feedback would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!
My dealer is currently taking vin numbers of customers (including me) that have broken wind visors. They are on national backorder because they have to find another company to produce them. I have heard no word yet about the new product having that price of 199.00. As far as Nissan corp is concearned, I know for a fcat that if you order a car with the sunroof the visor automaticly comes with that option. (At least it did when i was working for Nissan). Anyway, the parts wont be available for probably about another 2 months, so keep your pants on. And yes, they are included in the bumper to bumper warranty, dont let anyone tell you otherwise.
Old 09-02-2002, 08:42 AM

Re: Re: Wind Deflectors on 02-03 Max

Originally posted by Maxima-Ness

My dealer is currently taking vin numbers of customers (including me) that have broken wind visors. They are on national backorder because they have to find another company to produce them. I have heard no word yet about the new product having that price of 199.00. As fart as Nissan corp is concearned, I know for a fcat that if you order a car with the sunroof the visor automaticly comes with that option. (At least it did when i was working for Nissan). Anyway, the parts wont be available for probably about another 2 months, so keep your pants on. And yes, they are included in the bumper to bumper warranty, dont let anyone tell you otherwise.
thanks for the 411. i've only had my 2k2 for just over one month and have seen a couple of very small crack. i think i'll just wait until the cracks get bigger before taking it back to the dealer. just glad it's covered by the warranty. i was afraid it wouldn't be.
Old 09-03-2002, 04:49 AM

...well, I just took mine off for the second time in three months to wax again - and it's safe to say that this thing is NOT going back on until the new one arrives.

It's cracked almost the whole way thru now, in multiple places -- what a piece of ****!

Incidentally - no scratches on the paint - just a visible line where the visor once did reside. Buffed-out pretty well....maybe a good bead of caulk next time around????

G.R.
Old 09-03-2002, 07:53 AM

You don't need one! I have an '03 without the deflector, and the wind noise isn't bad at all. Don't waste your money. Save it and buy an intake.
Old 09-03-2002, 08:33 AM

hmmm...

$200 ehh?

That is a total ripoff... it's only suppose to be a 45-50 dollar option... most cases, it comes on the car from the factory...at least mine did... check the sticker... also check the nissan site and make a printout with the stuff you want especially with that sunroof wind deflector... i'd be surprised if nissan itself jacked up the price of that option... otherwise that dealer is probably trying to shaft you... oh yeah, you should be able to get it done under warranty... supposedly the 36k/3yr one and not the 12k/1yr the dealer that replaced mine told me...

all this makes me want to trade my max in for a g35....
Old 09-03-2002, 08:54 AM

so what do you consider a "broken" windvisor? My max is about 4 months old and ive got a decent amount of cracks in mine, they replace it b/c of that?
Old 09-03-2002, 09:09 AM
OG and counting...

Originally posted by ChoppaBoy
so what do you consider a "broken" windvisor? My max is about 4 months old and ive got a decent amount of cracks in mine, they replace it b/c of that?
Yep. They will. Mine already has a bunch of stress cracks in it and it's scheduled for replacement.
Old 09-03-2002, 10:24 AM
It's chrome alright...

<rant>
would people PLEASE stop saying 'leave it off it looks better without one' ... people who want one like how it looks with one, people without one like that look. It's not up to you to decide if he should have one, just answer the damned question.
</rant>

VQpowerSE: you should tell them you're not paying extra for it and they'll probably let you have free, or at least at the original cost. They're not going to lose a sale for a $20 (to them) hunk of plastic.

pjonkheer: he didn't say he needed one, he said he wanted one. And I've noticed *much* more wind noise since removing mine. It DOES reduce wind noise.

ghostrider17: don't bother calling yet. I was just in last week and he said they have no idea when the new ones will arrive, but it will be weeks if not months.

choppaboy, yes they'll replace it but you'll have to wait a few months. I took mine off because it was cracked/broken all the way through and I didn't want it to scratch the paint.

MAXRAY: bring it in now and get on the list, or you might wait even longer than the few months quoted. The longer you wait, the farther down on the list you'll be. I called the dealer near me and told him and he put me on the list over the phone. If you're worried about the cracks not being big enough, lean on it, they'll get bigger.
Old 09-03-2002, 10:44 AM
Banned

[QUOTE]Originally posted by 2k2wannabe
[B]<rant>
would people PLEASE stop saying 'leave it off it looks better without one' ... people who want one like how it looks with one, people without one like that look. It's not up to you to decide if he should have one, just answer the damned question.
</rant>

VQpowerSE: you should tell them you're not paying extra for it and they'll probably let you have free, or at least at the original cost. They're not going to lose a sale for a $20 (to them) hunk of plastic.

I tried and badgered them giving them the reason that if the people who bought the 02's had their's cracked and shattered, then its under warranty, REGARDLESS of whether it was originally $50 before, and $200 now. The sales mgr told me that if you noticed, all the 03's don't have them on because of the problems they've had, and if you look at the Spec sheet for them, the wind deflector is not listed as one of the options. He said they fall under "an accessory" that is now added on through the dealer. He even recommended saving myself the $$ and looking for an aftermarket one instead. Of course, when I did the pricing option choices on carsdirect.com, the wind deflector was still $46 bucks for the 03.
Old 09-03-2002, 11:15 AM
It's chrome alright...

there are options... you can buy one of the ones offered here for $20 and then take it to your dealer in a month and tell him it's cracked and get a new one that way.

or, since you haven't bought the car yet, you can take that whole deal and tell him you're leaving to buy the car somewhere else, because if he's going to give you this hard of a time over a wind deflector, you don't anticipate a good relationship in the future. Then leave. I bet you don't get to the door before he finds it in his heart to throw it in.

All he has to do to justify the cost to nissan corporate is take one off one of the '02s in his lot and break it.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by VQPowerSE
[B]
Originally posted by 2k2wannabe
<rant>
</rant>

I tried and badgered them giving them the reason that if the people who bought the 02's had their's cracked and shattered, then its under warranty, REGARDLESS of whether it was originally $50 before, and $200 now. The sales mgr told me that if you noticed, all the 03's don't have them on because of the problems they've had, and if you look at the Spec sheet for them, the wind deflector is not listed as one of the options. He said they fall under "an accessory" that is now added on through the dealer. He even recommended saving myself the $$ and looking for an aftermarket one instead. Of course, when I did the pricing option choices on carsdirect.com, the wind deflector was still $46 bucks for the 03.
Old 09-03-2002, 11:46 AM
Banned

there are options... you can buy one of the ones offered here for $20 and then take it to your dealer in a month and tell him it's cracked and get a new one that way.

or, since you haven't bought the car yet, you can take that whole deal and tell him you're leaving to buy the car somewhere else, because if he's going to give you this hard of a time over a wind deflector, you don't anticipate a good relationship in the future. Then leave. I bet you don't get to the door before he finds it in his heart to throw it in.

All he has to do to justify the cost to nissan corporate is take one off one of the '02s in his lot and break it.

He doesn't have any 02's left in his lot. I already checked.

I don't know if I can "SQUEEZE" anymore out of them, I mean as is, I got the price of a fully loaded SE Sheer Silver with TE, Merdian, Leather and splash guards for $26,682. Has anyone here topped this?
Better respond quick people, I'm picking it up in a half an hr!!
Old 09-03-2002, 01:04 PM

i've got a 2003 up here in canada, and the sunroof comes with a small wind deflector built into it. Are you guys finding that one inadequete or do you guys not have that?
Old 09-03-2002, 01:37 PM
It's chrome alright...

I think they all have that.

It helps, but it's not enough... definitely not as good as the bigger deflector.

So then the question becomes, "are you willing to walk away from this deal (you got a good deal, btw) for $150?"

If I were you I'd have them leave it off and go aftermarket.

Originally posted by Dig Dug
i've got a 2003 up here in canada, and the sunroof comes with a small wind deflector built into it. Are you guys finding that one inadequete or do you guys not have that?
Old 09-03-2002, 06:00 PM
Banned

I think they all have that.

It helps, but it's not enough... definitely not as good as the bigger deflector.

So then the question becomes, "are you willing to walk away from this deal (you got a good deal, btw) for $150?"

If I were you I'd have them leave it off and go aftermarket.

Yeah, I pretty much said forget it, and left it off. It actually doesn't look bad w/o it either!

And so the new saga begins...........
Old 09-03-2002, 07:00 PM

Yeah, I pretty much said forget it, and left it off. It actually doesn't look bad w/o it either!

And so the new saga begins...........
Sweet car... Great price too. Have fun with it.
Old 09-03-2002, 07:24 PM
Banned

Originally posted by 97GLE

Sweet car... Great price too. Have fun with it.
Thanks! Pics will come soon, along with a surprise in store......
(no NOS yet, i have to break it in 1st!)