5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

wrx or maxima

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2002, 09:42 PM

wrx or maxima

my buddy is looking into a new car, and was looking a a wrx. i told him he should just get a 2k2 6speed, they are around the same performance and the max is bigger with an extra gear. he plans on doing light moddification like intake, exhuast. i have never driven a 2k2 6speed so i dont want to tell him the wrong car, so have any of you experienced or been in both?? which is better over all? thanks
Old 09-05-2002, 10:11 PM
It's chrome alright...

Re: wrx or maxima

let me get this right... you're asking on a maxima board which he should buy???

I vote 2k2/2k3 max (bet the Max gets a lot of votes here... about the same as the wrx will get on their board).

seriously, what does he want? AWD, upgradable turbo, small cramped car? WRX all the way. Larger 4-door, faster (stock) better looking... Max.

it's up to him...

Originally posted by DTR Maxima
my buddy is looking into a new car, and was looking a a wrx. i told him he should just get a 2k2 6speed, they are around the same performance and the max is bigger with an extra gear. he plans on doing light moddification like intake, exhuast. i have never driven a 2k2 6speed so i dont want to tell him the wrong car, so have any of you experienced or been in both?? which is better over all? thanks
Old 09-05-2002, 10:27 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

Stock VS Stock ..the Max 6 speed will win evrytime.. I have been to the track and have seen many WRX's with mods lose to 2K2 6 speeds... If you're thirsty for mods and are looking for a pocket rocket that can be easily modded into 12's..get the WRX . If you want a luxury ride that can get Nitroused into 12's get the Max.. a 100 shot can have you in 12's .. !
Old 09-05-2002, 10:28 PM

can a 2k2 auto keep up with a wrx? what about from a roll?
Old 09-05-2002, 10:40 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

The stock WRX's were running 15.0's at the track. I have never raced one. But I ran a 14.8.. I guess it would be up to the driver on what the result would be. On a 6 speed , it would be the Max all the way !
Old 09-06-2002, 12:04 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I had my WRX up to 390 HP (311 whp) and it ran mid 12's without even doing anything significant. Just bolt ons and some tuning. I have a dyno chart but it won't let me post it for some reason. Anyway, they are vastly different cars. The Maxima is more comfortable with many more features and convenience items. It has a broader torque curve and the 6 speed is a much nicer gearbox. It's a better daily driving car but if you want speed you can buy the WRX, take the $6K that you saved over the Max SE and give me a call. I'll build you a 420 HP daily driver, reliable beast if you like. Hell, I'm building a block for a 600 HP project WRX for next year right now. All depends on what you want.
Old 09-06-2002, 02:49 AM

WRX's will beat Max's stock for stock every time unless you have a really bad driver in the WRX. 0-60 is 5.4 and quarter mile is 14.1.

http://www.car-stats.com/stats/shows...tsgivenid.aspx
Old 09-06-2002, 03:45 AM

if he's looking for fun, then the wrx is the way to go, if he's looking for comfort and luxury the max is the way to go. if ic ould choose all over again might go with the scooby. it's real fun to drive and they have an endless aftermarket support
Old 09-06-2002, 04:24 AM

Originally posted by Virus
WRX's will beat Max's stock for stock every time unless you have a really bad driver in the WRX. 0-60 is 5.4 and quarter mile is 14.1.

http://www.car-stats.com/stats/shows...tsgivenid.aspx
Yep Virus is correct....Motor Trend had the 2k2 WRX listed at 0-60 in 5.6 and a 1/4 mile of 14.2 @ 94.4. It's all up to taste.
Old 09-06-2002, 04:57 AM

have you ever looked at a WRX from behind.........BORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRING
Old 09-06-2002, 05:48 AM

The WRX is all about fun to drive. I find it an average looking car at best. Interior is just average as well, but it is definately a fun car to drive.
Old 09-06-2002, 06:27 AM

Originally posted by Virus
Since we are mag racing here, it is only fair to say that the average 2K2 6spd Maxima owner would smoke the average WRX or even Honda S2000 due to the fact that those two cars must be ABUSED to get those numbers; the WRX requires a 6000 rpm clutch drop, and the S2000 requires a 7000rpm clutch drop. These two are hard to launch. A stock WRX stands no chance versus the same Max from a roll, Just look at the trap speeds.
Old 09-06-2002, 06:57 AM

Re: wrx or maxima

Originally posted by DTR Maxima
Unless he's a family man get the WRX. Who cares if the max is bigger you'll rarely need the room! I researched the WRX for the last month cuz I'm trading in my boat next year. it's a better car for more people. I mean how many great reviews has the max received lately?? Don't get the 2k2 WRX though cuz they supposedly have weak trannies. Subaru may have upgraded the tranny components and not told anyone for the 2k3 WRX. check www.i-club.com then again I think the STi is coming next year too and they are gonna redesign the headlights for 2k4 too...
Old 09-06-2002, 07:21 AM

The WRX is faster hands down. And you don't even need any real mods for it, just a boost controller and boom, hello 13's. So if he just wants to go fast, buy the WRX. Or even if he just wants to do show mods, the WRX is again the better choice because of the pure volume of aftermarket support.

If he wants more comfort, go Max. Especially if he is 6'4" (like myself). The WRX, like all Subarus, is a small car. I tried my friend's WRX and felt like they should be playing that clown music. you know, the music they play at the circus when the clowns all pile into the beetle...
Old 09-06-2002, 08:18 AM

Originally posted by Kojiro_FtT

If he wants more comfort, go Max. Especially if he is 6'4" (like myself). The WRX, like all Subarus, is a small car. I tried my friend's WRX and felt like they should be playing that clown music. you know, the music they play at the circus when the clowns all pile into the beetle...

yes, not only does it look better but it has headroom. I'm 6'2" and I feeeel you!
Old 09-06-2002, 10:13 AM

hmmm...

Originally posted by Guru
I had my WRX up to 390 HP (311 whp) and it ran mid 12's without even doing anything significant. Just bolt ons and some tuning. I have a dyno chart but it won't let me post it for some reason. Anyway, they are vastly different cars. The Maxima is more comfortable with many more features and convenience items. It has a broader torque curve and the 6 speed is a much nicer gearbox. It's a better daily driving car but if you want speed you can buy the WRX, take the $6K that you saved over the Max SE and give me a call. I'll build you a 420 HP daily driver, reliable beast if you like. Hell, I'm building a block for a 600 HP project WRX for next year right now. All depends on what you want.
Where can you save $6k by buying a wrx over a maxima se... unless they have gone down considerably and no more markups are present, it would be nice chump change to have... when i was deciding between the two, i did a price check and the wrx came out to 30k out the door (exterior options only)... my 2k2 6spd se was 28k out the door with custom leather and sunroof... more room, more power, more luxury, nicer looking exterior, and all for less money... the max was the lucky "bride" ... i do more highway driving up and down california anyway which is where the max shines....

To DTR Maxima,

if your friend young wants to race all the time through twisties and the 1/4 mile tell him the wrx would be the choice. Otherwise the max wouldn't dissapoint either... especially when you gotta pick up a hot looking babe and her 3 friends....
Old 09-06-2002, 02:21 PM

This is just a thought.........Why would your friend wont to buy a WRX when the new Mitsubishi Lancer EVO VII will be coming out in February. The EVO will walk all over the WRX!!!
Old 09-06-2002, 02:57 PM

Originally posted by MaxSE03
This is just a thought.........Why would your friend wont to buy a WRX when the new Mitsubishi Lancer EVO VII will be coming out in February. The EVO will walk all over the WRX!!!
Possibly becuase the evo will cost a buttload more... plus teh fact that the Sti version of the WRX is comin' out...

I don't know why the first few posts say that the WRX will lose stock vs. stock. It's something called a turbo.

Personally, It all comes down to what he wants... practicality or fun to drive? My bro and I have one WRX and one 2k2 max between the two of us. Needless to say, I end up driving most of the time because people dont' wanna cram 3 in the back seat of the WRX. Plus the 2k2 is pretty fun to drive, hense the reason my bro wants to drive my ride all the time.

I do admit tho, the WRX is dang fun.

Tell your friend to just test drive them.
Old 09-06-2002, 03:05 PM
I miss the .org!

I considered the WRX too, when I bought my Max. I loved the stock turbo engine, the AWD, and the strong aftermarket support. But it was just too small for me, and too much of a "kid's" car. I'm 21 btw.
Old 09-06-2002, 03:21 PM

The WRX is definately one of the, if not the most fun car I've ever driven. The Maxima is a better all around car though. Sporty as hell with the luxury to boot.
Old 09-06-2002, 05:15 PM
92 SE-R 02 SE

go max. Bigger, fast (stock) and nicer. My g/f and I decided that the WRX was sweet, but 2 small for us and a family... the WRX can be fast as hell, but IMO its 2 small and from a roll a 2k02 max will KILL it in a race..i know...been there, done that...

Old 09-06-2002, 06:03 PM
All YOUR grammer belong to me

WRX is:

1)Ugly as sin
2)Styled like a tissue box
3)Small and petite
4)Egg-like headlamps
5)Has the cheaters drivetrain
6)Turbo lag below 3-4k RPMs
7)Has to be revved like madd to get power

2k2 Maxima is:

1)10 times better looking
2)Much bigger (small cars are for panzies and little people)
3)MUCH more luxurious and spacious
4)Beautiful triple-circle headlamps
5)Has a drivetrain that requires pure skill to launch right
6)Has muscle-car like punch at any RPM's, drop the clutch at 2.5K rpms and watch your tires light up.
7)Naturally Aspired impressive power at any RPMs means big gains can be expected if we decide to boost.

The only parasite to the 2k2 Maxima is the drivetrain, and even that isn't hurting us too bad.
Old 09-06-2002, 06:07 PM

Originally posted by MaxSE03

Yep Virus is correct....Motor Trend had the 2k2 WRX listed at 0-60 in 5.6 and a 1/4 mile of 14.2 @ 94.4. It's all up to taste.
Depends on the driver. If a WRX did a weak 2000rpm drop, he wont be going anywhere, the Maxima will roast him/her. On the streets, the 6speed will reel the subie in any day of the week. See the trap speed? 14.2@94.4? Compare that to ethans 14.3@99mph... Give that race another 2 seconds and the subie will be behind the maxima.
Old 09-06-2002, 08:37 PM

Old 09-06-2002, 09:28 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

I actually like WRX's... I know for a fact that with 2-3K in upgrades low 12's are there for sure. As far as asthetics go, we all have our opinions. I have a friend who just wreched his Auto crossing ..... Hhehehe ! All I know is what I saw at the track. No WRX's were able to beat any of the Maxes that went... But I know the aftermarket for them is awesome , compared to us and our intakes ...
Old 09-06-2002, 10:27 PM

I just don't like the styling and I figure if you through a turbo or S/C on a 2K2 6 speed untuned and no other modifications it can be in the 12's easy. Plus AWD makes the WRX faster.
Old 09-07-2002, 06:54 AM

Re: hmmm...

Yeah, I don't understand this pricing thing. I got my Max for $36000 CDN (with meridian package) and at the time the WRX was selling for $35000 CDN. If I decided to go with cloth, I could of gotten the Max for $33600.

Originally posted by koostermax

Where can you save $6k by buying a wrx over a maxima se... unless they have gone down considerably and no more markups are present, it would be nice chump change to have... when i was deciding between the two, i did a price check and the wrx came out to 30k out the door (exterior options only)... my 2k2 6spd se was 28k out the door with custom leather and sunroof... more room, more power, more luxury, nicer looking exterior, and all for less money... the max was the lucky "bride" ... i do more highway driving up and down california anyway which is where the max shines....

To DTR Maxima,

if your friend young wants to race all the time through twisties and the 1/4 mile tell him the wrx would be the choice. Otherwise the max wouldn't dissapoint either... especially when you gotta pick up a hot looking babe and her 3 friends....
Old 09-07-2002, 07:22 AM

If back seat room means nothing, why buy a sedan in the first place? Plenty of CARS outperform a Maxima; not many mid-size sedans outperform a Maxima. WRX, S4, 330i, all have the same problem--no room in the back seat. Just buy a coupe.
Old 09-07-2002, 07:53 AM

Can't get a WRX with a sunroof oe heated seats.
But the pillarless doors are nice and AWD is nice.
Old 09-07-2002, 09:14 AM

Another Alternative

Hey couldnt you, in the same price range, get a 99 Eclipse GSX that is faster then both the WRX and 2k2 Maxima and has more potential then both? (If you can get past the crappy Mitsubishi build quality) the car looks better then both in my Opinion too (Especially the wierd looking WRX). Same deal tho Back seat is only for Show dont try putting any adults back there

Just a suggestion
Old 09-07-2002, 05:25 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

As for pricing I got my WRX for $23K. It comes with everything already so I just got the security system and the diming mirror. SE's are about $28 correct? That's $5K. Sorry, my bad. As for the stock time slips, yes the magazines do launch the car abusively to get those numbers. I don't (and you can't when you get beyond 300 HP anyway). I just slip the clutch at higher RPM's. Still launches damn hard, trand friendly and get 1.6-1.7 0-60 ft time slips. The clutch wears faster but oh well, no free lunch. Trap speeds are 110-111 MPH. If i can kill an E46 M3 and C5 Vette on the highway I can certainly eat a Maxima for lunch (SC or no SC). Trust me the WRX is just much faster when modified. I'm not saying better car but faster regardless of turbo lag (I don't get full boost till 4100 RPM on my big ball bering turbo). I'm buying my little brother a 04 Max SE and actually am waiting for him to see it at the Detroit auto show to see if he likes it enough. He and I both think the Maxima is an awesome car and unique nowadays in this SUV crazy market place. All I'm saying is think realistically. If you want 12's get a WRX or an EVO. If you want more room, luxury and a smooth as glass motor/drivetrain for for the Max. They are just different cars.
Old 09-07-2002, 05:35 PM

Originally posted by Guru
As for pricing I got my WRX for $23K. It comes with everything already so I just got the security system and the diming mirror. SE's are about $28 correct? That's $5K. Sorry, my bad. As for the stock time slips, yes the magazines do launch the car abusively to get those numbers. I don't (and you can't when you get beyond 300 HP anyway). I just slip the clutch at higher RPM's. Still launches damn hard, trand friendly and get 1.6-1.7 0-60 ft time slips. The clutch wears faster but oh well, no free lunch. Trap speeds are 110-111 MPH. If i can kill an E46 M3 and C5 Vette on the highway I can certainly eat a Maxima for lunch (SC or no SC). Trust me the WRX is just much faster when modified. I'm not saying better car but faster regardless of turbo lag (I don't get full boost till 4100 RPM on my big ball bering turbo). I'm buying my little brother a 04 Max SE and actually am waiting for him to see it at the Detroit auto show to see if he likes it enough. He and I both think the Maxima is an awesome car and unique nowadays in this SUV crazy market place. All I'm saying is think realistically. If you want 12's get a WRX or an EVO. If you want more room, luxury and a smooth as glass motor/drivetrain for for the Max. They are just different cars.
i agree, but i say WRX all the way(if space doesnt matter)