5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Help Me Please!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2002, 11:51 AM

Help Me Please!!

I ran into a problem about a week ago. I got pulled over for having illegal turn signals, but they are hyper white, i dont remember if they were like APC or PIAA, but i got it from NOPI. THe cop said they had a blue tint, and put that i had BLUE BULBS in my car. To my understanding superwhite, hyperwhite, wutever its called are street LEGAL. I checked Georgia's code section for traffic violations, and it says quote " no person can operate a vehicle with flashing or revolving blue lights" thats it. It says nothing about yellow, green, or hyperwhite. Anyone know for sure if im correct if hyperwhite is legal? what reference can i take to court with myself other than packaging?

he also added, my tint is illegal, and my washer LED's are illegal (because i can have only one pair of aux lights AE fog lights i have) anywayz....the guy was an A-hole

thanx for any help guys
pj
Old 09-09-2002, 11:56 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

took it to court and fight it.....I dun think u can do much about the turning light....but for the tint, u can take a picture of the car when the sunroof is open. so ur tint does not look dark. then show the picture to the court.
Old 09-09-2002, 12:00 PM

oh by the way, i only got the ticket for the "illegal blue turning signals" not for anything else i mentioned, he just _itched about the other stuff. im takin it to court and fighting it but i need some documentation which i cant find, the only thing i found was the code section violation (40-8-90). but i want to go to court and show the judge that the packaging says street legal, and this is why, by showing him some stuff about lighting i guess.
Old 09-09-2002, 12:27 PM

Originally posted by crzyballa33
oh by the way, i only got the ticket for the "illegal blue turning signals" not for anything else i mentioned, he just _itched about the other stuff. im takin it to court and fighting it but i need some documentation which i cant find, the only thing i found was the code section violation (40-8-90). but i want to go to court and show the judge that the packaging says street legal, and this is why, by showing him some stuff about lighting i guess.
you keep saying turn signal but i have a feeling you mean your front bumper lights (with the clear lenses)? am i right? unless you rewired them those lights shouldnt ever flash. they are just running lights. so if the law only says "no person can operate a vehicle with flashing or revolving blue lights" then i think you pass because those lights dont flash or revolve.

however, this topic has come up a bunch of times and for the most part there is no way out of it. but that specific part of the GA code doesnt seem to suggest you are in violation of anything (if my assumption about the running lights is true). but there very well may be other parts of the law you just didnt find. but good luck.
Old 09-09-2002, 02:35 PM

no, im not talking about the clear corners, those are ok, im talking about the actual turn signals, right next to the headlights, they flash, or blink, but to my understanding, even tho they flsah, they are hyper white, furthermore, in the citation he put that i violated that specific traffic code, and when i looked it up, yeh i cant hav BLUE flashing lights (turn signals) but i dont hav blue turn signals i hav hyperwhite/superwhite turn signals

but im looking to see exactly WHERE it says hyperwhite is street legal other than packaging and WHY its legal so i can prove it in court, cuz i will hav a jury as well, ive already passed through the not guilty plea and the judge said i will go to a trial by jury
Old 09-09-2002, 04:05 PM

Originally posted by crzyballa33
no, im not talking about the clear corners, those are ok, im talking about the actual turn signals, right next to the headlights, they flash, or blink, but to my understanding, even tho they flsah, they are hyper white, furthermore, in the citation he put that i violated that specific traffic code, and when i looked it up, yeh i cant hav BLUE flashing lights (turn signals) but i dont hav blue turn signals i hav hyperwhite/superwhite turn signals

but im looking to see exactly WHERE it says hyperwhite is street legal other than packaging and WHY its legal so i can prove it in court, cuz i will hav a jury as well, ive already passed through the not guilty plea and the judge said i will go to a trial by jury

i got it now. well, in that case i think you are out of luck. the reason the ticket says you have blue lights is because there is a hint of blue to them. even though they are called "hyperwhites" they still have a blueish color.

the bulbs themselves you bought are technically legal. but it just depends on where you use them. unfortuntely most (if not all) states have laws saying turn signals must be a certain color. im sure georgia is no different. though the bulbs themselves are legal you have to follow your states law about certain colors on certain parts of the car. get what i am saying?
Old 09-09-2002, 04:44 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Your light can't have ANY tint of blue in the light they emit at all - for headlights. But for turn signals, in CA they MUST be amber color. If GA has the same law, you may not be able to fight this case.

Technically in CA, our clear front side bumper lights are illegal during they day time, but okay at night if you have an amber bulb.
Old 09-09-2002, 05:14 PM

You have 2 choices my friend.

1. Go to court, fight the ticket, make an as$ of yourslef, probably end up paying MORE, and changing out your bulbs.

Or

2. Change your bulbs.

Hmmmmmmm