5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Question About Used Eibach Springs

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2002, 04:03 PM

Eibach Springs Question

It's actually a two fold question:

1) Is it bad to buy 1 year old Eibach springs from someone. Meaning, do they go bad after time or is a spring a spring and I shouldn't worry about it.

2) If I go with these springs do I have to still wait a few weeks to get an alignment or are they already set from the previous owner? I know that everyone says wait two weeks or so to get an alignment but I was wondering if that holds true for used springs as well.

Thanks so much and happy modding!
Old 09-09-2002, 04:11 PM
I miss the .org!

I think alot of people are going to tell you it doesn't matter, as long as they're in mint condition. Personally, I wouldn't buy used springs because of how important your suspension is, for safety and otherwise. But that's just me playin it safe...
Old 09-09-2002, 04:58 PM

eibach pro springs

I just had my springs done and the shop did an alignment immediately after (I plan on doing a follow-up with them). The wheels were definitely out of alignment. I asked and they said that you need to do an alignment immediately and that a follow-up wasn't really necessary.

I thought about this for awhile. Springs from the factory don't go through any pre-settling stage so I can imagine that alignment is something that should be checked soon but within a month or so should be fine.

Several people have commented that the car is driveable without an immediate alignment. I imagine its a question of how much tire wear you are willing to live with. I was willing to live with it, but the shop insisted on doing the alignment (the next is covered for free).
Old 09-09-2002, 05:15 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Eibach Springs Question

Originally posted by pmas76
It's actually a two fold question:

1) Is it bad to buy 1 year old Eibach springs from someone. Meaning, do they go bad after time or is a spring a spring and I shouldn't worry about it.
spring doest not go bad that easily.....I would say pay more attention on ur struts.....stock struts are not very good to go with stiffer springs like eibach.

/B]
2) If I go with these springs do I have to still wait a few weeks to get an alignment or are they already set from the previous owner? I know that everyone says wait two weeks or so to get an alignment but I was wondering if that holds true for used springs as well.

Thanks so much and happy modding! [/B]
wait for 2 weeks to have the spring settled...u need alignment everytime u take off ur struts. doesnt matter if the springs were used or brand new.

have fun.
Old 09-09-2002, 05:27 PM

cost

It's a good point. Personally, I can't see how the $225 for brand new ones is a big deal.

While I don't necessarily see a problem with using used springs. Do you know why they are being sold? Do you trust the person who is selling them to be honest about their condition?
Old 09-09-2002, 05:34 PM

Re: cost

Originally posted by ajahearn
It's a good point. Personally, I can't see how the $225 for brand new ones is a big deal.

While I don't necessarily see a problem with using used springs. Do you know why they are being sold? Do you trust the person who is selling them to be honest about their condition?

i bought from him before. i trust him. he still has the box and says they are fine. he sold everything from his car because he got a BMW. I just figured if i could get the springs cheaper that i would.
Old 09-09-2002, 05:40 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: cost

Originally posted by ajahearn

agreed...that's a risk of getting something used...can be from someone had an accident and totaled the car, and the springs survived. so if u want to get used parts, I would recommand to see the parts and check it before pay for it. For buying stuff online, I only buy brand new items.

most of the time, people selling eibach or harder springs because they dont like the ride quality. Eibach is harder and stiffer than HR and maxspeed, which means, u also need stiffer struts to dampen them. a lot people found eibach is uncomfortable, but it really depends on one's preference and tolerance. I have seen someone has the same combo as mine are complaining about how harsh the ride is. but I dun find the ride that harsh and they bring me a lot of fun.
Old 09-09-2002, 05:40 PM

Re: Re: cost

Originally posted by pmas76

i bought from him before. i trust him. he still has the box and says they are fine. he sold everything from his car because he got a BMW. I just figured if i could get the springs cheaper that i would.
My $.02 go ahead and buy the springs. They are relatively simple in design and I would only get concerned if they were damaged. Struts are a different story.